Geo - Eye's Wide Open 2012

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Geo - Eye's Wide Open 2012

Postby geo » Tue May 08, 2012 2:43 am

Day 69 - Week 10

Its been 9 complete weeks now and here are my numbers:

Weight: 222.4 down from: 224.8 started at: 261
BP: 128/78 up from: 125/81 started at: 153/92
Pulse: 50 down from: 52 started at: 88
BMI: 30.2 started at: 35.4

So down another 2.4 lbs this week for a total of 38.6 lbs or 3.86 lbs/wk. Weight loss is definitely slowing down but still maintaining a good average. My BP is still a bit higher than I want it too be, but I'm starting to suspect my cuff being an issue. I'll see if my wife can't do a manual reading later.

B: oatmeal with flax and cinnamon
2 cups herbal tea
S: herbal tea
L: mixed veggies with salsa
herbal tea
apple
D: baked potato and sweet potato
orange

E: 49mins -5511 steps. Total steps for day - 8451
M: 10 mins

Good day. My right calf was giving me a lot of pain all day, like it was cramped up tight. After I started walking it lossened up and felt ok by the time I was done. I think this was due to a slight change in gait due to the blister I had on my right foot. Probably working the muscle in a slightly different way causing it to be sore and tight. But it seemed to work itself out after a good walk.

It rained hard all day, which means my weed killer spraying isn't going to be as effected as I hoped. Though it does look as it killed or is killing most everything. I'll probably need to go out in the next day or two and spray again if it will just stop raining for a couple days :?

Tomorrow is the big day for The Starch Solution! I was hoping they might release the kindle version a day early, but no luck :( Oh well, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow :D
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby geo » Tue May 08, 2012 2:44 am

<duplicate post removed>
Last edited by geo on Wed May 09, 2012 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Wed May 09, 2012 6:13 am

Day 70

B: multi-grain hot cereal with flax and cinnamon
herbal tea
L: baked potato and sweet potato with mex veggies and salsa
orange
D: rice and mixed veggies with salsa
banana

E: 101 mins - 11,153 steps. Total steps for day - 12447

Great day. Only a little pain in right calf and tightness that went away after walking about 5 mins. Lots of energy and felt strong during my first walk at noon. Then did another walk at 5PM and still felt good though not as strong.

Since I've been walking around noon for the last couple days, about an hour each time, I've developed a nice red burned chrome dome (yes I'm folically challenged) and starting to get that typical farmers tan well :lol: At least we are starting to get some signs of spring finally.

The Starch Solution is on my Kindle and so far its a great read!
geo

geo

Postby geo » Thu May 10, 2012 2:38 am

Day 71

2 cups herbal tea
banana
herbal tea
S: apple

E: 47 mins - 5316 steps. total steps for day - 9181 steps

Good day today. Found myself racing to get my walking done. cut about 2 mins off my regular route and my stride was lengthened somewhat as I was trying to avoid the rain :-D Almost succeeded too. But in the end, got a little wet.

Today about 3 pm I felt hungry! The first time in a very long time I wanted to eat something and I had nothing available. But I know why I was hungry...work was slow and I was bored. My mind was wandering with nothing to do. That's usually my first trigger to eat and as usual I felt that trigger in my stomach.

Fortunately, I recognized it for what it was and was able to easily control it. In the past I would have had to put something in my mouth. After a few mins of thinking about the situation I was able to make the hunger simply go away. I found some work to do and before I knew it I was heading home and preparing for my walk.

I read a bit more of the Start Solution...so far it is truly outstanding. I probably won't finish it till this weekend as my time is just so short these days and I'm finding I get very restless if I'm just sitting around for any length of time. Its like my body wants to get up and move :lol:
geo

geo

Postby geo » Fri May 11, 2012 2:09 am

Day 72

2 cups herbal tea
banana
herbal tea
orange

E: 48 mins walking - 5390 steps. Total steps for day - 8105 steps

Great day. Work was a bit stressful but not unusual. I was eager for the day to be over so I could take a walk. Was feeling sleepy at work and driving home. Walk was good but uneventful, no soreness in legs or feet, but a bit of soreness in my right shoulder. I do feel that I'm moving faster and taking a bit longer strides which seems to be born out by my steps decreasing in my normal route.

Didn't have much time to read the starch solution today and ended up going to bed a bit early as I was physically tired. Slept really well. I've moved another notch down in my belt. Only 2 holes left in it :) My pants are getting too loose again and my shirts are getting way baggy. I'll probably have to buy new pants AND shirts in a month...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Sat May 12, 2012 3:02 am

Day 73

B: oatmeal with cinnamon
2 cups herbal tea
L: mex veggies with corn and salsa
banana
herbal tea
D:baked potato and sweet potato
orange

E: 48 mins walking - 5335 steps. Total steps for day - 7768

Good day today. Felt strong and eager to do my walk...but as allaws work takes precedence. Work was low stress and things actually went well for once. Legs a bit tight in the morning and through most of the day but felt much better during walk. Went to bed early and slept really well.

Didn't get a chance to read any today but hoping to finish up the starch solution this weekend...got to get the wife something for mothers day that will surprise her. Probably try to cook her dinner again - thats always an event to behold :lol:
geo

geo

Postby geo » Sun May 13, 2012 2:43 am

Day 74

B: none - wasn't hungry
L: multi-grain hot cereal with flax and cinnamon
herbal tea
banana
D: rice and mixed veggies with salsa
orange

E: 48 mins walking - 5303 steps . Total steps for day - 7748

Felt great. No pain anywhere and tightness in legs was almost gone. Did an early morning walk and followed that with a shopping trip with dau so we could get things for Mothers Day tomorrow. So a good bit of walking. Otherwise this was an uneventful lazy day. Spent time watching some season finalies on the DVR with wife and took a little nap in the afternoon :-D
geo

geo

Postby geo » Mon May 14, 2012 2:43 am

Day 75

B: nothing, wasn't hungry
L: oatmeal with flax and cinnamon
Herbal tea
D: 2 baked potatoes and sweet potato
Grapes
S: orange

E: 91 mins walking - 10571 steps. Total steps for day - 13099
Felt great today. Walked in both morning and in early evening, just because I felt like it. No pain or soreness, though legs did get really tight after my second walk. Definitely finishing stronger these days. Also went out and did some last minute shopping.

Happy Mothers Day! Tried to give my wife all the rest she needed today. No going out, no cooking, no cleaning, no responsibilities for her. I think its the best gift I could give her. Just a day of relaxation. I think she really enjoyed it :D

I ate weird today - no veggies for the first time since I started MWL. Just didn't feel like any today, even though I made a big bowl of salsa for the week. Hopefully its as good as it looked and I won't need to buy it anymore at the store. If I like it, then this will be the last source of extra salt removed from my diet and I will be salt free (not counting what is naturally in my food).
geo

geo

Postby geo » Tue May 15, 2012 3:20 am

Day 76 - Week 11

Its been 10 complete weeks now and here are my numbers:

Weight: 217.8 down from: 222.4 started at: 261
BP: 104/64 down from: 128/78 started at: 153/92
Pulse: 67 up from: 50 started at: 88
BMI: 29.5 started at: 35.4

Today I've reached a new goal, I am officially no longer OBESE :nod: Never again will I be associated with that word or statistic. It took me 76 days to loose 43.2 lbs on the MWL.

Also note that I had my wife (a nurse) help with my blood pressure cuff today and I got an excellent reading of 104/64 for my BP!! and my pulse was a more normal 67 as well.

I believe its been fitting my cuff properly thats been my problem the past several weeks in my readings. I know she was secretly happy with my readings, even though she didnt show it. (she actually asked me what the readings were and she never does that :D )

Next goal will be to no longer be over-weight, a BMI of 24.9. That will happen when I reach 183 lbs. Thats approximately 35 more lbs to lose. I think that will take till mid-September if I can maintain my current weight loss.

Then my next goal will be to get to a healthy BMI of 21.9 at a weight of 161, thats a further 22 lb loss. Which if I'm very lucky could happen by the end of 2012.

My ultimate goal will be to try to reach the low-end of a healthy BMI - 18.5 or 138 lbs. I don't think thats really possible for me as the lowest I've ever been at my current height was in the 150's when I was a young teen, but we'll see :-)

2 cups of herbal tea
L: mixed veggies with home-made salsa
herbal tea
banana
orange

E: 47 mins walking - 5310 steps. Total steps for day - 8380

Great day today! No pain or soreness. Legs a little tight but not overly so. Eager to get my walk in but had to wait till after work. No stress at work and I was very happy to no longer be obese. Needless to say I was in a very good mood today :D
geo

geo

Postby working at it » Tue May 15, 2012 8:34 am

Congratuations George! Your goal setting is so powerful, and so is the simplicity of your approach. Very impressive results. Am looking forward to your next chapters!
working at it

Postby geo » Wed May 16, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks working at it! I like to spread my goals out in 2-3 month chunks. That way they are more readily achievable in a time frame that will keep my interest :)
geo

geo

Postby geo » Wed May 16, 2012 3:01 am

Day 77

B: oatmeal and flax with cinnamon
herbal tea
L: rice with mex veggies and homemade salsa
orange
S: baby carrots
Apple

E: 89mins walking - 10561 steps. Total steps for day - 13034

Felt really strong today. Took 2 walks today. One in early morning 6AM and the other at 5 pm. First walk felt really good about, second walk felt a little tired but was still moving good. Definitely tight in legs after second walk. worked from home today so stress levels were down.

Got unusually hungry after my second walk so had a snack of baby carrots. That hasn't happened in a while. I'm happy that I had a quick lite snack available to tie me over till dinner. Baby carrots are turning into one of my favorite quick snacks...starchy veggie goodness with a nice crisp crunch of sweetness...whats not to like :-D

Got my Fast Food II dvd...now just need to schedule a couple hours to watch it. Won't be tomorrow though as my dau has her gymnastics class ...love watching her do her flips and stuff. This coming Sunday is her dance recital rehearsal. I'll be taking a couple of her friends with us to watch her dance. Should be good time.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Thu May 17, 2012 3:17 am

Day 78

2 cups of herbal tea
apple
herbal tea
orange

E: 46 mins walking - 5215 steps. Total steps for day - 8252

Good day. Legs were tight almost all day. If I sit for more than 10 mins my legs become very stiff and hard to walk. But they work themselves out very shortly once I start moving. I notice this happens the day after I walk a lot. Which tells me I'm getting a good workout :)

I'm still considering whether I want to get a bicycle or not. One part of me says go for it and another part says its too much money. I'm finding it hard to find a reasonably priced one these days. When just an inexpensive one costs $500 thats quite the investment, so I need to make really sure I want to do this before I buy a dust collector...
geo

geo

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu May 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Geo,

I'm glad I found your journal. It's very inspirational! I'm intrigued by the relationship you have with your wife, and how you've chosen to not allow this WOE to cause friction between the two of you. Your wife seems supportive, and that's what matters most. I too have a spouse who doesn't eat this way although I really wish that he would. He's very supportive, but I wish that we could share this journey together.

You serve as a good role model for sticking to the plan and being an example to others. Keep it up! Congrats on no longer being obese! That's certainly a milestone!
proverbs31woman

Postby geo » Fri May 18, 2012 5:31 am

Thank you for the kind words proverbs31woman. My wife is very supportive of me. She's the most caring, wonderful, beautiful woman I know and after 17 years of marriage we are very much in love with each other. We start and end the day, everyday, with an "I love you". My heart is hers and always will be.

I guess I don't understand why this woe might cause friction between 2 people, it is afterall just eating food. She eats what she loves and I do the same. It does mean I have to cook for myself but thats no big deal because its so easy and I enjoy it. I also cook for her on occasion simple things because thats all I can do and she seems to enjoy that a lot:)

I do wish she and my dau would eat this way too but its not something you can force on people. Though slowly as I bring more fruits and veggies into the house they do seem to go missing more often and I have to shop for "my" food more everyday :lol:
geo

geo

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals