Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page

Postby fulenn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:24 pm

absgirl, since you are getting settle into the board now, I thought I would suggest that you read about a Star McDougaller named Deb Tasic. Her story is really good! Just click on Star McDougallers at the top of the page and then select her name. She stopped her MS in it's tracks.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby fulenn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Had a good day today. I got to go on a field trip with my child's geology class. We went to a riverbed where a limestone overhang recently collapsed. It was great! The students really got interested in seeing sedimentary layers for themselves and found quite a few fossils. Of course, we only took pictures with us. :) I got to have a bit of a hike--something I couldn't have done with the hilly parts even just a few months ago. Progress!

I took a nap today for about 90 minutes.

Food was good: boiled potatoes for breakfast, rice and potatoes for lunch, watermelon for snack---twice, and rice with kale, mushrooms, onion, and Brussels sprouts for dinner.

Got on the exercise bike for 3.19 miles and was able to increase the intensity a bit.

Have a nice night, everyone!

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:36 pm

hi fulenn,

I'm sitting here surfing instead of doing the dishes :) and just checked your post. I really got the feeling of your good day from this. The field trip sounds neat, and the dinner of rice, kale, mushrooms and brussel sprouts sounds yummy. I actually made a brown and wild rice mushroom pilaf tonight using mushrooms I gathered. I have been learning which ones are edible. Fun reading and discovering and learning from a neighbor who has done it for years. :)

It's great progress you could hike, too. Last night I went to the opening concert of a Zimbabwean Music Festival. It was in the park about a block from my house. I even danced for a couple of numbers! Boy, am I tired today, but well worth it. :) Hooray for little victories.

And you know I'm a big fan of good naps, too. :)

Have a good weekend.

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:08 pm

Fuelenn:

Fantastic a geology field trip! I love that kind of thing - kinda like my Stepfather a retired geology prof so I have to, hehehe. It's so amazing to do stuff that we couldn't before this WOE - even though I know that it's happening for me too - I get super amazed to read the things you and moonwalker are reporting! Seems to me a nap is more than in order after such a trip. Isn't it nice though that it's a need in response to your body doing some high functioning for you though!!!

lmggallagher

Postby fulenn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:56 pm

moonwatcher, the music festival sounds like is was fun! I'm glad you were able to dance and enjoy the music physically. :)

imggallagher, you are correct about the nap. It IS a good feeling knowing that I did something. :) I talked with my husband last night and he said that a few months ago I would have needed a 2-3 hour nap in the a/c and a couple of glasses of ice water to recover, even then it wouldn't have been as much as now.

I had a good day MS-wise. Attended a funeral for a friend/colleague this morning. He was too young and I will miss him greatly. Took a nap when I got home for 1 hour because I just didn't want to keep thinking about him being gone. :(

Went bowling this afternoon with one child, then had dinner with them. It is nice to spend some 1:1 time with each child occasionally. Food was potatoes, brown jasmine rice, Persian rice with dill weed and lime juice, watermelon, tabbouleh salad.

DH and I made a menu for this week and have decided to make the food this weekend and put it all in the refrigerator for this week. We are running some crazy schedules around here and mealtime has gone to, well, you know. Anyway, here is what we bought ingredients for: black and yellow couscous salad, pasta salad, no mayo potato salad, hummus, marinara sauce, tomato orzo soup, couscous fruit salad, regular fruit salad, bowl of sliced sweet potatoes, potato adobo over rice (instead of chicken adobo we are using potato chunks). We bought some ww wraps and pita bread for stuff to go into for lunches and we bought cucumbers for slicing, carrots, and celery. So that is what we will be doing the rest of this evening and tomorrow afternoon.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:53 pm

hi fulenn,

I agree with lmgallagher that it's nice your nap is in response to doing something high functioning and fun. And good how you and your husband were able to compare the improvement between how it was before and how it is now.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend passing. I know what you mean about missing someone like that. And a nap can reset things, which helps our nervous systems switch gears.

Boy, your menu for the week sounds great! And how wonderful to have a strategic plan and a plan to execute the plan for the rest of the week! Bravo! :)

Hope you all have some fun getting everything set up. Sounds like I'm never busy as you are, but even so, when I'm going to be, I really feel better if I have food things set up ahead of time.

I'm sure it is nice to be 1 on 1 with each child occasionally. I'm glad you had a good day MS wise, too. :)

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby talkingmountain » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:41 am

Fulenn, your progress is amazing. I'm so glad for you, actually for all of you MSers who are feeLing improvements.

I dont have MS so I hope you don't mind me reading and posting from time to time. A close friend of the family is wheelchair-bound from her MS (and not willing to consider dietary changes) and its so encouraging to see your progress.
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby fulenn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:56 pm

We have been busy cooking this afternoon. Here are pictures of the tofu mayonaisse and the potato adobo that we made.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Cool! Maybe sometime when you're not crazy busy, give us a recipe for that potato adobo? I am intrigued. :)

Good luck with all the preparations and your busy week!

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:11 pm

It's super quick. We made potato salad today and made WAY too many potatoes, so....

2 lbs diced red potatoes
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
2 bay leaves
2 heaping teaspoons of chopped garlic
I almost forgot: lots of freshly grated black pepper

Cook the diced potatoes until firm, but not quite done. Drain them and put into a large frying pan or wok. Mix the other four ingredients and pour in with the potatoes. Bring to a boil until the potatoes are hot. Serve hot over hot rice.

It's really good! I don't have issues with watching my sodium intake, but I am sure it is a high sodium meal.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:29 pm

talkingmountain wrote:Fulenn, your progress is amazing. I'm so glad for you, actually for all of you MSers who are feeLing improvements.

I dont have MS so I hope you don't mind me reading and posting from time to time. A close friend of the family is wheelchair-bound from her MS (and not willing to consider dietary changes) and its so encouraging to see your progress.

Hi talkingmountain! You are welcome to post in my journal anytime. I hope that, after your family friend sees the changes in you, they will give this a try. I think that the public needs to see and hear about how so many health problems can be cured or managed by simply taking control of what we eat. This is one more way for us to do that. :)

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Thanks fulenn. I might play around with this when my son and his girlfriend come to visit. I do watch sodium, but there are ways to tweak this. Would be a good filling for corn tortillas. :)

talkingmountain, I love your handle!

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:50 pm

lmggallagher wrote:Fuelenn:

Fantastic a geology field trip! I love that kind of thing - kinda like my Stepfather a retired geology prof so I have to, hehehe. It's so amazing to do stuff that we couldn't before this WOE - even though I know that it's happening for me too - I get super amazed to read the things you and moonwalker are reporting! Seems to me a nap is more than in order after such a trip. Isn't it nice though that it's a need in response to your body doing some high functioning for you though!!!

I'd love to hear more about your father and what he did....sounds like you had a fun life. :)

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby absgirl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 am

i love reading what yall do ...and i love the food tips n recipes

i get excited hearing about ur outings and adventures. yall have such good ideas....i live vicariously through u haha....i really dont get out much...well havent yet anyway

who knows maybe soon i will but ive never been much of a goer..ive always been a homebody

thanks for keepin me inspired and on track!
ABSgirl
I have MS but it doesnt have me
GOD HAS A PLAN
my journal==I THINK I CAN DO THIS the journey leading to this point is on page 3
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31040&start=30
absgirl

Postby absgirl » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 am

oh and i wanted to tell u i read deb's story when i was looking into this woe. its what got me motivated to do it....it like a light bulb came on......but i love going back to re read it....i think ive read it 3 or 4 times now!

amazing!!!
ABSgirl
I have MS but it doesnt have me
GOD HAS A PLAN
my journal==I THINK I CAN DO THIS the journey leading to this point is on page 3
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31040&start=30
absgirl

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals