Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Good. You made me laugh about how I must have been one heck of a teacher. I had my moments. :-)

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Today was a good day, good food, exercise, very nice. I ate rice for breakfast, potatoes, collards, and kale at lunch, potatoes and blueberries at dinner, watermelon for a snack. My daughters made an interesting snack: spaghetti tacos. I bought myself some baked tostadas and used that instead of taco shells. I read the ingredients and there is no added oil. Here is a picture:

We had rice with last nights dinner, I mixed 3 kinds of rice: brown jasmine rice, red cargo rice, and forbidden rice(black rice). It was really good for breakfast this morning. Here is a picture of the red cargo rice bag, you can see the red rice around the edges of the picture.

I walked 1.66 miles with my daughter this evening and plan to get on the bike later.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks for the pics, fulenn, and the updates. I've never had red rice or forbidden rice. One of my friends really likes the forbidden. The combo sounds good. I made colcannon with cabbage, potatoes and kale from my garden for lunch.

Glad you had a good day! I did too. Now time for dinner (leftover wild rice mushroom pilaf chickpeas and greens in a big bowl, I think) and then water the garden. I'll have a couple of my first tomatoes too. :)

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:34 pm

Had a bad food day. I had a whole wheat bagel this morning and thought I could just put a little tofutti cream cheese on it--turns out I'm not ready for that. I had a lot more than just a little and have ended up just throwing the container of it away so I wouldn't do it again. Lesson learned.

Got on my exercise bike this evening, 4.32 miles, and lifted weights.

moonwatcher, I've got to try colcannon, sounds really good. :)

That's about it for today.

Have a good night sleep, everyone,

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby never give up » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:23 am

I am finding your MS page so helpful Fuelnn. Thank you for sharing your's and your dad's symptoms in the way you did. One of my biggest problems right now is with comprehension, expressing myself and memory. I had to read what you and moonwatcher wrote several times to understand and apply it to my way of thinking of my own symptoms. But by Jove I think I got it. :lol:

Also
One of my initial symptoms, that I have been fortunate enough not to have again, was that my feet sensed things that were not there.
I haven't heard of anyone else having an issue like this. I sometimes feel that there is a large pebble under my left foot. A number of things that happen to me are odd like this and I get precious little feedback from my Dr, so what you wrote really makes a difference to me.

I have been hesitant to mention that I too seem to have days with a bit more energy and a little more tolerance of heat this summer, since this WOE. I'm still not sure that it isn't a fluke, but it is happening.

Hope you all are having a great day!
never give up

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 am

HI you two,

Yes, fulenn, that colcannon can be addicting, but it's a good addiction!!

never give up, I have memory and tracking problems, too, but they have gradually improved over time with this WOE. It feels like some kind of complicated math or calculus equation in which the range of problem slowly gets less wide, and the response time for bringing something up slowly gets faster. Wish I had the math to describe it metaphorically!

Hope you are both having a good day today. Nice to check in and say hi.

Thanks for your journal, fulenn :-)

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby absgirl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:36 am

:eek:

gee i thought i was the only one that imagined things under my feet! i walk on gravel all the time...my sister said it was "all in my head" lmbo i get tickled cus in a way she is right.

glad u guys understand....thanks fulenn im so glad i found u!
this was a nice chuckle this morning hehehe
ABSgirl
I have MS but it doesnt have me
GOD HAS A PLAN
my journal==I THINK I CAN DO THIS the journey leading to this point is on page 3
http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31040&start=30
absgirl

Postby fulenn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm glad everyone is getting something helpful from what we are all writing!

As far as the sensory stuff, I remember before I had MS and my father was describing some of what went on for him; he said that sometimes when it snowed, the flakes landing on his arm felt like a match head on his arm. I didn't really understand that until I got sick myself.

Today was a mostly potatoes day. I was busy, so just boiled a bunch of potatoes this morning and have munched on them most of the day. I ate some baby carrots and blackberries while I was doing some driving this afternoon.

Got on the bike this evening, 6.12 miles. No new symptoms, no nap today, good energy levels all day.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby absgirl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 pm

fulenn

i am so totally amazed when someone talks about the same weird things i have experienced with my MS. when a sun beam shines on me sometimes its like somebody touching me with a hot frying pan!

for me all this sharing about ms and out new woe; we are cheering each other on, giving hope that eventually ms will just go away and we can be happy healthy people having our lives back and then some.

im so glad our paths have crossed

all i can say is thank u for sharing w me and helping me to be a better person!
ABSgirl
GOD HAS A PLAN
my journal==I THINK I CAN DO THIS the journey leading to this point is on page 3
absgirl

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 pm

fulenn,

I am a bit in envy of your ability to just eat potatoes and blackberries for a day. I start out like that but then have to add this or that, and it ends up becoming a project. I can't help it. I guess I just LIKE TO. :) The friend that's come over to help me with cleaning and errands for years most Wednesdays teases me I "build' my salads. :) Ah well, here's to simplicity, in its "many" forms. :)

It is very nice to chat with you all and hear how things go--thanks again, fulenn, for providing the space for that.

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:03 pm

Build salads? I love it! And why not?

Just remember that my boiled potato days are mixed in with my gotta-have-Persian-rice and where are my freeze-dried potato days. :D I love fixing "real" meals, but school has begun for 2 of my 3 children and I am afraid to not have something around to eat because, in the past, I would just grab whatever. It is TOO easy to just drive through someplace. One of my biggest challenges was learning NOT to drive through drive-ins--one of my previous favorite foods was fried chicken and I do not want to go through getting off of that again. So I guess the fear of getting sick again and having to get back on this WOE again lets me eat boiled potatoes and not complain about it.

I stayed out of grocery stores for the most part this summer and out of Austin, but now that school is going, I have to be in town 5 days a week. I am trying to make good choices, but it is hard! I heard it can take 90 days to form new habits and I do not want to waste all of this summer by having to begin anew. sigh.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby never give up » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:29 am

absgirl You just made me realize 2 more changes since I started this WOE
when a sun beam shines on me sometimes its like somebody touching me with a hot frying pan!
All last year every time the sun would shine on me through a window (even just an arm or hand) I had to move away, because it was so uncomfortable I couldn't stand it. I also couldn't hand wash dishes in warm water for more than a few minutes at a time with out getting weak and shakey. I didn't even notice that both those feelings have gone!!!

fulenn, thank you so much for doing this!! Hope you are having a great day!
never give up

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:47 am

I call these kind of improvements my "little victories and epiphanies"--it's important to notice them, celebrate them, to help increase their flow. :) It's wonderful to hear them from all of you as well!!

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby absgirl » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:45 pm

hey today i actually drove my car w the windows down! no a/c!

its a miracle i say!

thanks fulenn...without u we'd probably not notice these things!
ABSgirl
GOD HAS A PLAN
absgirl

Postby fulenn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:09 pm

You are all wonderful and correct! Each of these things that is gone or minimized is important to help us see progress towards our health and to give us hope. I am so grateful to this way of eating!

nevergiveup, I sometimes have problems with the hot dish water, too. My husband has been doing the hand washing this summer, so I don't know how I am now. Glad you are doing better with that.

absgirl, so happy about your drive without A/C or a window up!! I know with me that there were a lot of changes early on that happened quickly.

moonwatcher, I am all with you about "little victories and epiphanies". It is a good thing!

Today was another potato day: boiled yellow potatoes, brown jasmine and red cargo rice mixed, watermelon, beets. Not terribly interesting, but I hardly had to do anything, so I'm okay with this.

I spoke with a colleague today on the phone. I have not see this person since the last week of May and I was told that I sound excited and energetic. It's true! I do feel better and I know that my voice reflects it. These are the small things that keep me on track most of the time.

I got on the bike again tonight: 4.82 miles. The exercise is beginning to feel like the eating has become, a habit. I don't really have to think about it or talk myself into it, I just get on the bike or go walking when the heat recedes for the evening. It hasn't been as long as the eating has taken, but then I am only going from sitting around to moving around, which involves a LOT less choices than selecting the right food to eat. At least for me. :)

So glad to see all of you here and to hear the positive changes happening.

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals