Fulenn's MS page New: before/after pics on page 15

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fulenn's MS page

Postby lmggallagher » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Fuelenn & everyone:

Always Agnes shared this great link with me today. It's for staged exercises for fibro folk. I wonder if there is something similar for MS folk. It seems though that it might be a similar progression for fitness levels for either case, maybe? Anyway think it's so cool and wanted to share with you :) :-D :-) :D

Always Agnes -- "If you haven't seen it already, you might find this article helpful. It describes different exercise levels/phases and offers suggestions for dos and don'ts. "

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showar ... libid=8305

Exercise Prescription for Fibromyalgia: A Plan for Patients From Beginner to Advanced

lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:46 am

Michelle--

This looks like a great link. I will take a look at it.

Fulenn--

As others have posted, I couldn't agree more with the value of what you posted and your 4 reminders. While this, for some reason, is not so much of an issue for me, I have heard it a lot from people diagnosed with MS. I heard a version of it last Saturday from a young man who asked me about my service dog. Saying he was "all right now" but thinking about that "later" when he wouldn't be. It's so easy for that "later" not to be real to us. By the time I started eating this way, and even when I was diagnosed, it was considered secondary progressive. Who knows if that's accurate, or if other things, like the fibro I didn't know about, the CP, wheat intolerance, were contributing. So because O fall my other complications, and a family with cancer and heart disease history, I decided this would just be the best way to stop, slow down or prevent any further decline. So far so good. And I'm not tempted at all to do otherwise. I've had to be more strict within these guidelines than I would have thought, but even though I grouse to myself about that at times, I know I'm not really serious about that, because what I really like is feeling the way I feel when I eat what I should eat. I know I'm standing there doing what I'm doing BECAUSE of the way I'm eating, so if I want to keep doing and enjoying the level of health I'm enjoying, and continuing to nudge it in more and more of a healing direction, than I just stay with it. That's far more compelling to me than anything else that might try to tempt me.

Perhaps this occurs after many years, too. Because the "later" has become the "now" and in my case, it was pretty intractable. This WOE is the only thing that touches it. And then the dog, and the exercise I have been able to do subsequently feed the healing, too. But without the base of the diet, I'd probably be in the wheelchair and in bed a lot of the time. To have saved myself from that so far, one day at a time, by eating this way, is miracle enough to keep me from eating a piece of chocolate, or whatever the temptation du jour might serve up! :)

And yes, I would say it's wonderful that the symptoms down you back and leg are gone, and that there's a good chance the arm symptoms will resolve too. You bet!

Enjoyed reading all the comments, everyone. Thanks for your journal!

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Michelle,

Thanks for posting that link. I just glanced quickly, but I like what I saw. I did a little looking around for something similar for MS, but didn't see exactly that kind of page. What I do is just what a couple of trainers told me several years ago. One of them has a wife with MS so he is at least familiar with it directly. It was suggested that I go slowly, never push myself to exhaustion, and to keep a cup of iced water with me at all times so I could keep my core body temperature down. I did not at the time, nor do I now, have any major issues with spasticity, strength, and such. He also said to make sure I had well-made shoes and to be extra careful about my form when using weights.

moonwatcher,
I am glad you don't have issues with motivation or cheating. :) I hope to arrive where you are someday (soon). You seem to have the attitude that it takes to make this a true lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet.

DH and I walked at the track and around the neighborhood a couple of hours ago: 2.12 miles, 44 minutes. I still feel good, though I did feel that tingling in my right hand again. It is very hot out today and when we walked it was 90 F. Not the best time of day to walk, but it is what we were able to do with the busy schedule today.

Tonight is meet the teacher night at two of my children's school; afterwards is a restaurant night. The restaurant gives back 10% of what they earn from the students/families who come and eat that evening. Everyone signs in so that they know how much the school familes earned. Unfortunately, it is a burger/shake place. I called a few minutes ago, they serve salads, but with all sort of junk on top. So if I decide to eat there, they will make me a plain lettuce and vegetable salad. Not sure I want to pay for that. I will probably drive through Wendys and get a sweet potato or two and a garden salad. Cheaper and filling.

I hope to be up for another walk this evening, maybe on the treadmill or maybe get on the recumbent bicycle. But something.

Have a great day!
Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Wow, you're doing great, fulenn, with negotiating those foods choices. Good idea to drive through Wendy's and bring your own! Then you won't feel deprived.

It's also great you don't have issues with weakness or spasticity. I have those issues, though they are softer now. But I've always had them in some measure due to the CP.

Pace yourself and stay cool! You are doing great, and you WILL get there with the attitude too, because you are so motivated. Keep it up!!

best,

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Ate an ounce of beef on a sandwich last night and even that small amount has me craving foods that I thought were long gone. My bad! Bad choice! So I boiled several potatoes and have been munching on them today--really helps since I love potatoes with nutritional yeast!

Ate potatoes, blueberries, and watermelon so far today. Will probably finish the bean and kale soup and call it a day for food. Wait, I know what will taste great: smokey black bean enchiladas. Yum! I'm off to the kitchen. No more "just a bite" of my friend's burgers!

Energy is still doing well, I am not as heat-sensitive as I have been in the past, no vertigo, no balance issues, no speech problems. Yea!

Fulenn

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

fulenn

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:24 pm

Fuelenn - roast beef, naughty you, but good choices today :) So glad to hear the symptoms are still at bay. That heat sensitivity is really a big one for my friend - we met in a deep water aerobics class at a hot water therapeutic pool! She did pretty well with the heat but it got increasingly an issue for her.

I am so glad that you are conquering the things I know she has had problems with. I hope to go visit her (she's moved from my area, so I don't see her often enough now) after I come home vacation. I'll take my laptop and show her your journal. I think she'll be amazed to see these improvements you and moonwalker have experienced. I can't wait to share :)

lmggallagher

Postby moonwatcher » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Well, fulenn, good for you for getting right back up on the horse, so to speak, today, and returning to what you KNOW will work. :) That takes strength, too, to admit you made a mistake, but not to let it take over. Thanks for letting us know. Smoky black bean enchiladas. . .if I hadn't already eaten (taco salad full of all kinds of veggies, pinto beans and a ripped up food for life corn tortilla), I would invite myself for dinner!!

hang in there,

moonwtacher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Thank you, both of you, for the kind words. I ended up eating black bean tacos with tomato chunks on romaine lettuce leaves instead of taco shells. Yummy! I also ate some baby carrots.

In the last couple of hours, I have had some regular Lhermitte's syndrome, down the back. Not real bad, but noticeable.

I am off for a late walk with DH.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Just got back about half an hour ago from our walk. 2.26 miles!

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:20 am

That's great, fulenn--way to go!!

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:18 pm

I was invited to a friend's house last night and asked about the McDougall diet, so I offered to bring dinner. I have Dr. McDougall's Mobile Cookbook, so I went to the oriental market, typed in rice noodles,(because I've been wanting them) and came up with this: Ginger Hoisin Rice Noodles with Veggies. I already had most of the ingredients, so I made it. It was really good! DH made Black and Yellow Couscous and added diced tomatoes to it; it is from the McDougall's Quick and Easy Cookbook, page 144.

When she ate dinner, she said what most of us have experienced, that this is what she needs, something substantial that makes her feel like she has eaten something. :) I'm glad she enjoyed the food and we talked about how easy it is. I also bought and cooked her a purple sweet potato and a white yam, but forgot them at home. Bummer. So I have a nice meal today.

I slept 7 hours Friday night and took a 45 minute nap yesterday. That worked well for me. We'll see how I do today.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby moonwatcher » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:24 pm

fulenn, that's so great, sounds like all went well and another person may find their way to this style of eating because of it. I have made that recipe with the rice noodles and yes, it is really good!

Sounds like you had a really good on track day--wonderful to hear!

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby fulenn » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Just finished walking: 2.59 miles. Feeling tingling in both hands, but not a lot. No nap today.

Today I didn't really eat meals, just whatever and whenever. So this is what I had:

--purple sweet potato
--blueberries
--rice and veggie soup
--leftover bean and kale soup
--watermelon
--pineapple
--8 lychees

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:30 pm

I made Ginger Hoisin Rice Noodles with Veggies for lunch today, but I made some changes: Instead of the veggies called for in the recipe, I used red bell pepper, green onions, asparagus, and mushrooms. I did not use tofu but I did squeeze lime juice on it and sprinkle cilantro leaves on top. Mmmmm. Okay, I don't really like the noodles today. Mary's recipe calls for a specific brand of rice noodles, Thai Kitchen, but I shopped at the asian market and bought a different brand. The other day I used what was labeled as rice vermicelli, it is in long thin strands like thin spaghetti but only about 8 inches long. Today I used rice sticks, which are also in long strands, but are 4-5 time thicker. The rice vermicelli took about 3 minutes to cook and the rice sticks took about 15 minutes to cook, and honestly, I think they should have had another minute. Noodles aside, this is a very versitile recipe and I think it will become a standard around here. Try it!

I have good food for today: the noodles, I still have black and yellow couscous, and I bought strawberries, blueberries, and kale today.

Fulenn

fulenn

Postby fulenn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm laughing because DH said he loves the noodles I made and that they a) are the best noodles he has ever had, and b) taste better than Pei Wei. He says the noodles remind him of the udon noodles he used to get at Pei Wei, a long time ago, before we quit eating there. I pointed out that these are made of rice, but he still loves them. He ate his dinner on the spot out of the container I had put them in for him to eat at work tonight. So I don't know what he is doing for dinner. I know he took a few lychees with him, but oh well. I guess I'll pick up more noodles at the store tomorrow.

Thanks for putting that recipe in the Mobile Cookbook, Mary!!

Fulenn

fulenn

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals