New way of eating - one day at a time

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New way of eating - one day at a time

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:28 pm

kirstykay I am still pretty much amazed how this is going for me. It made sense right at the start. I think people are start thinking I am not crazy. I just hope my journal can be as helpful to others as others have been to me.

~Beth~ I hope to one day display my belt.

---------------

Treadmill accomplished, 60 minutes, no adjusting the program and only slight thoughts of quitting. I also wore leg weights. I watched a documentary on Netflix, Food Matters. I watched it before, but was not sure when I started, it was perfect length for doing the treadmill. I did not agree with everything, but it was good to watch. One thing I took away from it was drinking water in the morning. Only a few months ago, I was drinking tons of water, diet Mt Dew, and skim milk. I could not quench my thirst due to the diabetes. Now, I am not drinking much. I only drink water. I know the veggies I eat are full of water. Either way, I am going to make a conscious effort to drink more water.

I did my 5 exercises with the dumb bells, 12 reps, three times with 15 lbs. I really wanted to give up. Then I thought about posting here.

I went out to my storage building and for the first time brought in clothes that were too small. Most of the time they sit for a bit and then I would give them away. I brought in some 2XL shirts and a XL jean jacket that has to be 15 years old. It fits! Most of the shirts are like new. Many from concerts, that I could stretch out to fit in. I took my 3XL shirts and jacket out to storage. My wife told me not to give them out. lol

I am just glad I had these laying around. I look forward to putting the 2XL shirts back into storage one day. This time for being too big!

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

BS: 159

B: 1cup oatmeal w/ banana
L: Large Salad, 4 small gold potatoes topped with chili (last of the left over chili)
D: Sweet Potato Crisp

Recipe for Sweet Potato Crisp

Prepared in a glass pie pan

1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced
2 tbs cinnamon
2 tbs brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned oats oatmeal
1/2 cup grape nuts cereal
1/2 cup log cabin table syrup (or real maple syrup)
1/8 cup lemon juice (or apple juice with less water)
1/4 water
4 tbs flour (or 2 tbs corn starch)

Combine 1 tbs cinnamon and 2 tbs brown sugar. Layer sweet potatoes in pan, sprinkling each layer with mixture. Then combine remaining cinnamon, oatmeal, cereal and syrup. Top potatoes with mixture. Combine juice, water and flour. Drizzle on top.

Bake for 45 mins at 350.

This was totally inspired and copied from the Starch Solutions Apple crisp recipe.

I am still eating, but wanted to post. I will post before going to bed. Doing the treadmill soon.

Had someone notice my weight loss, they asked how. I spent an hour talking about this WOE and my life style changes. I printed out some things and emailed her a link to here. Plus I suggested Forks over Knives.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:21 pm

I ate the whole thing of sweet potato crisp. I think next time I will put a splash of water with the potato slices and also water down the syrup mixture.

So I had oatmeal for dinner.

I did the treadmill. I really wanted to skip it. 60 mins with leg weights. I do not think I have done the treadmill more than 4 days in a row. Today was day 4.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:46 am

That sweet potato crisp sounded good. I might have to try that.
Good job getting on the treadmill even when you didn't want to
:-D

You know I just worry about the leg weights while walking because I have plantar fasciitis myself and people with some weight to lose tend to put more stress on their feet, ankles, and knees. Sorry for the unsolicited comment. Just concerned.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/52305 ... n-walking/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/44670 ... e-walking/

Start date: Sept 25, 2012
~Beth~

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm

~Beth~ I think journaling my exercise will aid in getting me to do it. I agree about the leg weights. I am going tonight without them and do some research. Thank you for your comments and concern. My feet were a little sore at bed time, but good today.

------

BS: 150

B: 1/2 c oatmeal w/ banana
L: (stood up to go out) drank lots of water
S: (while cooking dinner) gardenia mix
D: Big Salad, steamed broccoli, 5 red potatoes with steamed onion, green pepper and mushrooms with corse ground mustard.

Eating dinner as I am reading here and posting. I will do the treadmill and weights during the Thursday night football game.

I got up early this morning, felt great. Had a productive day at work. Cooked the family dinner. They eat SAD. My wife and daughters hate vegetables. They will have a salad, but with plenty of dressing and cheese. I think I am lucky to have already a strong like for vegetables. I do not see any of them even trying what I eat. My wife mentioned to her friend about my weight loss and then said, "do not get too skinny, you know I do not like skinny guys". Everyone laughed. Funny stuff. I am guessing my wife is very close to 200lbs, I have been given credit for "making her this way". I am still in the obese category, but getting real close to being overweight. I do not ever see myself being underweight.

I need to clean up my mess in the kitchen. Will post again before going to bed.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm

I did my 60 minutes on the treadmill while watching the first half of the game. No ankle weights. Still sweated my tail off.

I also did my five dumb bell exercises, 3 x 12 with 15 lbs.

I also discovered something really cool. I have been steaming vegetables more and more. I have a garlic press, so I have been putting some fresh garlic on them. Tonight, I took the peelings from the garlic cloves and put them in the water. I also put the pieces of onions and green peppers in the water also. I sprinkled some salt free seasonings on top of the veggies also. Well, when I was cleaning up, I looked at my steam water. It looked like soup. I drank the broth. It was very, very good. This are parts that normally would have been in the trash. Pretty awesome. I think it will make a good potato topper also.

I really enjoy cooking these days. I might boil up brown rice during the second half of the game.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 pm

BS: 138

B: 1/2 cup oatmeal with banana and 5 strawberries
L: (out to eat) salad w/fat free dressing and three baked potato insides
D: Sliced tomato, steamed California mix with onion, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic. Ate steam water as a soup with odd pieces put in.
S: Gardenia mix

I did the treadmill for an hour. Six days in a row!

I did not mean to order three potatoes. The resturant has a lunch special of salad & baked potato. I ordered that and said I wanted two potatoes. I meant two total, no big deal. They were good.

I am looking forward to weighing on tomorrow. I need to put the scale back in the closet. It is in the bathroom and I find myself sneaking peaks on it. I am going to go back to weekly. I think doing MWL has got me thinking too much about weight loss. I think this will be a good week, but getting on there too often is not good. Really, any week I do not gain is good. My blood sugar seems to be lowering. I have been medication free for a while now.

I ran into an old friend, it has been two years since I saw him. He noticed that I lost weight and looked good. Odd he did not notice my hair, it was long when he last saw me. He had gained some pounds. He was always in shape before. I am still not even close to where I want to be. I am glad to be wearing 2XL shirts. When I can wear XL, I will do one shirt shopping. I might just grab some on my wife's t-shirts that are XL.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Is that 138 a new low for you for your blood sugar?

~Beth~

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:58 am

~Beth~. My best has been 122. In November they are going to run blood work again and check my A1C. I will let them know about my lack of medication on that visit. I hope to be at 220 by then. That would have me overweight and no longer obese.

-----

Weigh in day! 3 lbs lost. I am at 230. 30lbs lost since starting this WOE. I am almost have way to my goal. Two more pounds to get to 228.

BS: 166

Last night I ate some air popped popcorn while watching a movie.

Busy day ahead, going to produce store, then going to BiL's for a birthday party cook out. He is good people. He will bake me a couple of potatoes. Last cook out there I had just started and got into all sorts of "discussions" on what I was eating. His gf is a Vegetarian. She is all about cheese and oil. I still have along way to go, but people are noticing. After that, there is some yard work.

I have been on the edge of being sick for a week. Now it is catching up. I have a cough and some congestion. I hate taking medication, but might need to today.

Time to eat some oatmeal!

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Erbse » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:17 am

JohnLarson wrote:I also did my five dumb bell exercises, 3 x 12 with 15 lbs.

I also discovered something really cool. I have been steaming vegetables more and more. I have a garlic press, so I have been putting some fresh garlic on them. Tonight, I took the peelings from the garlic cloves and put them in the water. I also put the pieces of onions and green peppers in the water also. .

I've just got back to checking into your journal. Thank you so much for the links to the spice mixes. I'm experimenting right now, using their list of ingredients. I've been eating mostly unseasoned for the last 3 months but feel like a change for a bit.

Reading about putting garlic and other peel into the steaming water reminded me where I came across this idea: in Michael Schwarm's blog. He used to post here. If you do a search, they might pop up. His blog link is in his signature line. He wrote quite a bit about cooking and recipes. You might find it interesting. He gave me the idea to put the outer leaves of cauliflower, onions, cabbage etc into water and boil it up for broth or you can put them into the steaming water, like you have discovered. Even if I don't put any peels into the steaming water, I always keep it for soups and stews. If I don't need to use it up in a couple of days, I sometimes freeze it. Sweet potato steaming water is really nice.
Edited to add: sometimes I use the steaming water a couple of times (with different veggies or starches), which makes the broth taste more intense.

I admire your motivation doing the dumb bells. I need to build up my upper arm strength ( I can't even do one push up) but keep on putting it off. Whatever you do, once you are fit, don't stop. I remember Ruth Heidrich saying that the pain of getting fit was so much that she'll never wants to go through it again.
Erbse
Erbse

Postby peasouper » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 am

Congratulations on your weight John, almost halfway there!

What is California mix?

Best wishes Sue
peasouper

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:51 pm

Erbse I will do a search. Back in the 80's I remember people drinking cabbage soup in a fade diet. The broth is going real good on the potatoes. Once I am fit, I plan on staying there. Long way to go.

peasouper People are starting to notice. I think the last half will be more of a challenge. The results so far really seem unbelievable. For what ever reason, I believe and have since first hearing Dr McDougall on the radio. California mix is broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. Normandy mix is broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, and squash. Both come frozen.

-----------------------

I did not test blood sugar this morning.

B: 1c oatmeal w/banana
L: (golden corral) salad bar, 2 baked potatoes, steamed broccoli, steamed cauliflower, rice, corn, pineapple, salsa, sweet potatoes for desert w/ cinnamon and sugar.
D: (late) gardenia mix, a few pretzel chips, potato and California mix.

No exercise today (or yesterday). I have some chest congestion, plus worked my tail off.

A co-worker asked about what I eat. He overheard my conversation the other day. I am going to loan him my copy of The Starch Solution. He is young and stays at home. I also sent him a link to this site. I think the book might help his parents understand. It was nice talking about this WOE. I feel I freaked out those close to me in the beginning. I am pretty sure most are waiting for this phase to end.

While I feel good and I am looking better, I really have a long way to go. I am still obese. I need to stay focus on the goal of being fit and healthy. I can get there one day at a time. When I get to 220, I am getting some different jeans. Only a few pair. This is getting silly. I have to look silly. Today while working I was getting sweaty and my pants were almost tangling me up they were so loose and sweaty. I have hard work tomorrow, I might wear shorts.

I just do not want to settle at where I am. i want more. I might touch the dumb bells, even something is better than nothing. I need a shower. MNF is over (only watched second half - long work day).

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:48 am

Weigh-in Day!

228, two pounds lost.

BS: 138

I have not exercised this week. I have a bad cough that has been with me all week. I might do the dumb bells.

My wife made some vegan bread with whole wheat flour. It came out good. There went my 100% MWL for the month. I have really enjoyed what I have been eating. I think bread as a treat works good. I have been trying to drink more water and to eat a large salad daily. I also used the rice cooker for the first time this week. Cleanup is a chore on it. Is rice supposed to stick to the bottom? Is it supposed to spray water/starch out the whole in the lid? The rice turns out much better than when I boil it and I really like it better than the boil in the bag rice.

I bought two grapefruits last week. I had not had grapefruit in years. I think metformin has a warning about eating them. I really like grapefruit. I am buying more this week.

My blood sugar has been below 160 all week. I am thinking the closer my weight gets to under 200, the better my blood sugar is going to be. Next week I have to schedule a November VA visit with blood work.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby ~Beth~ » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:53 am

Weigh-in Day!

228, two pounds lost.

According to your weight ticker you have lost 50 pounds! Are you jumping up and down?

My blood sugar has been below 160 all week

Great news!

I also used the rice cooker for the first time this week. Cleanup is a chore on it. Is rice supposed to stick to the bottom? Is it supposed to spray water/starch out the whole in the lid?

When I use my rice cooker nothing sticks to the bottom. Of course it is non stick. Maybe you need to use a little more liquid? I do have some water spit out onto the counter. I just put a paper towel on the counter next to it to absorb it.
Because of the concern about arsenic in rice I tried Jeff's brown rice cooking method here http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_%26_As/E ... _Rice.html
It worked pretty well. But the rice cooker is easier. If I was going to keep cooking it that way I need to buy a sieve to drain the water after cooking.

~Beth~

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 pm

~Beth~ I am pretty excited about the 50 lbs. My next goal is 220. That will be overweight and not obese, then 199 (under 200). I liked the rice cooker rice, maybe one day I will buy a nicer one. This one was given to my wife a few years back.

------

BS: 140 (very happy with that number)

B: 1c oatmeal w/banana and an orange.
L: Chili over a potato
D: Chili over a potato, tomato and cucumber in whole wheat pita.
S: Pretzel thins and four fat free fig newtons.

I went digging thru my storage building for a 2x silk bowling shirt that I know I never gave away. I could not find it, but did find 4 pairs of Levi jeans that used to be too small. One pair was too large. But three pairs were 38 waist. They fit better than my current 40 waist. So I put seven pairs in storage and have three pairs of jeans that do not look silly on me. Those jeans never were loose before, they are now. I was planning on getting replacement jeans at 220 lbs. I had not decided if I was going to look for used or new jeans. Now I think I will wait. I really thought these jeans were long gone. I have a bunch of dress clothes that I do not wear any more. I am sure most are too big. Next spring I will go thru all of that stuff. I hope by then everything out there will be way too big.

Some of the shirts I dug out last week I was wearing when my I first met my wife. I would have to stick my arms in the shirts to stretch them out to fit. I got rid of most of those clothes, but kept some. Now no stretching required.

No exercise this weekend, maybe during tonight's game, I still have a cough.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals