Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks Jennifer.

This morning is a good day. Yesterday I ate 100% on plan, plus I did not over-eat. I did the treadmill in the evening plus 10 more push-ups.

I feel real good about how the past few days have gone. I got on the scale this morning and the second two was gone. I need to not let the numbers get to me as I might see that two again. I do not want my emotions controlled by the scale, good or bad. I want to feel good because I feel good.

I will get more excited when my clothes fit better. When I went to the size 34 waist they were not exactly loose in the first place, but I knew I was on the right path and one day they would be loose. Now they are tight. Luckily, jeans loosen up as we wear them. My dress pants that I have bought for my new job are a different story. They are different cuts, some fit a little snug around the leg, not the waist, but the upper leg. I went out and bought two pair of slacks that are looser in the upper leg, so I have been wearing them more. My wife was not real happy about me buying more clothes as I had just bought four pairs of dress pants. They fit in the waist, just a little tight in the legs. They look good when I stand, but when I sit...

I also have some sports coats I would like to wear, but they are all way too big. I wanted to wait until my gut is gone before getting them altered, which I thought would be by now when I first started this job in September. What is crazy, most of the 20 pounds I put on seemed to go to me upper legs, chest and gut - the very places that still needed attention. I might get one jacket altered and go from there.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:33 am

Another good morning. Yesterday was good. I ate 100% on plan. I only did the treadmill for 15 minutes and I did 15 extra push-ups. I did not do the treadmill this morning, but did do 15 push-ups.

I also checked my blood sugar yesterday evening when I got home from work, 92. So that made my evening.

I will do more treadmill tonight while watching football.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby ceekaye » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:53 pm

Keep it going John! 8)

Just for comparison: I eat around 2 cups of whole grain cereal with berries in the morning for breakfast...i wonder if maybe you are hungry and need to increase your serving size a little?

Just a thought i had. I realize i could be totally wrong...but i mention it only because, like you - i will eat just because i can - especially if i don't consume enough calories. And you are working out, so it seems logical that you just might require more calories...just MHO!
Christina~

ceekaye

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:20 am

I have started doing one cup instead of 1/2 cup of oatmeal in the morning.

For the most part I am doing great. My clothes are already fitting better. I can tell a difference in how my body feels. Saturday evening I went off plan with a couple of donuts and some Taco Bell stuff that my wife bought for my daughter and she did not want it. I just did not want to see that crap go in the trash...

In the big picture, if I look at the past seven days, I have done great. I am not going to let last night get me too down. My sugar was good this morning. My scale did not scare me. I had a big bowl of oatmeal w/banana. It is going to be a good day. I am also down 5lbs from last week.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JT of PA » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:49 pm

John,

Great Job !!!

Thank You for posting and know you're encouraging me greatly.

Through hard and dedicated work it can be done. :)

All the best,
John
JT of PA

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:23 am

I have not been posting and that normally means I have not been on plan.

I just get to the point where I don't want to be different. I want to be able to eat whatever. I am discovering that denial is very powerful.

I am not real sure how bad things need to get before I really evaluate my relationship with food. Right now my jeans are fitting tight and I went out this past weekend to get larger dress pants. They are size 36, which is still much better than 42, but still not that good. In all reality, my 34 should be too big.

I am trying to think when was the last time I strung 10 solid 100% days together and it has been a while. Heck, I am not even sure when I strung 3 solid days together before this week. I have my daughters birthday party Friday and a Christmas party Saturday. Last year at these events I ate SAD. The pizza at my daughters birthday gave me head acne and was not very good. The Christmas party food was very bland and not enjoyable. I have no desire to eat pizza, even without cheese, which is odd. I do want some birthday cake, but know that it just starts a bad chain of events. Same at the office party, there will be all sorts of good deserts there.

The thing is that if I had been doing good the last three months, then sure these two events eating SAD would be some what tolerable. The fact is that I have been eating way too much oil and refined flours, plus a little meat here and there. I have even had some cheese when I get honest about it.

What is really sad is that I weigh more than I did a year ago. How in the world did that happen? I was doing so good. I never reached my goal, but I did get under 200 and I guess that was good enough.

I know that Dr M says 90% gets you 90% results, but I am not sure if I know how to count. I am guessing that my 90% is more like 60%. I do not want to be at 60% towards my health goals, I do not want to settle for 90%. I want to be healthy and fit. So, I need to be 100%. I really see no reason why I can't be close to 100%. I like the food and I know that this WOE makes sense.

So will I be posting more? I am not sure. I hope to, but I don't think I will be posting every day.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:26 am

I have also updated my weight tracker to 225. I will post every Saturday, no matter what the results are. I am here for me and this journal is to help me. I can get back on track and these struggles I hope can help keep me on track.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:04 am

Last night I picked up my 24 yr medallion from my home group and a member made vegan brownies. They are full of oil, heck I think these were full of Crisco. I did have a few of them because they were made for me. Besides that I have been doing good. I really wanted to eat some of the CRAP at my house, which is full of CRAP, but did not. I popped a big bowl of popcorn to snack on.

I also went out to eat for lunch and went to a steak place that I have not went to in a while. I had steamed spinach and two baked sweet potatoes. I am sure if I can put some days together I will be back on track.

It is Friday and I am in a great mood. I am 100% sure that I have no interest in tonight's pizza. I am also fairly sure that I will stay away from the cake.

No exercise lately, I slept in this morning. Maybe tonight I will get on that treadmill...

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:20 am

Hi John,

I hear you about sugar. It's my last bastion of craving. I have always loved it. I try not to think about it, and I'm doing well on that, meaning each day without it gets easier. HOWEVER, I know I'm lucky since my husband joined me on this venture. I really admire you and others who have to live with unhealthy food that tempts you.

Good luck with getting on your treadmill. Even five minutes is better than zero! <--- That's how I trick myself into exercising if I ever don't feel like it. Yet, how can one trick onesself? :shock:
PeripateticDanielle

Postby kkrichar » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:56 am

Hi John,

As always, I'm right where you are. I've done decent this week. It took about 4 or 5 days to recover from the Thanksgiving pie my aunt so generously made for me (with margarine rather than butter). Sigh. When are people going to let me manage them so all their behaviors meet my desires???

Congrats on the 24 years!! Miraculous, isn't it??? At least we both know what it feels like to want something so much we think life won't be worth living without it and then seeing the lie behind that belief. Put it down. Let it go. Have faith that life will be so much more rewarding without it. I did this with alcohol. I did this with cigarettes. Someday, maybe I'll be free from the bondage of self, ey? Someday.

How did last night go?

One more thing, have you Googled "fun treadmill workouts"? I used to love running on the treadmill until last winter. My treadmill died in my move last fall. I didn't get a new one until Feb. and had to run outside November - January. Turns out I really love running outside when the temps are in the 20s - 40s. Now I hate my treadmill. I looked up some workouts that might break the boredom a little and they do help. Not so much for getting me on the thing but for making it more enjoyable while I'm on it.

OK, that's it. Have a great weekend.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks for posting PeripateticDanielle & kkrichar, it means a lot.

I did drop some weight this week, but I am sure I could have done better and if I do not follow suggestions I will gain this week.

I ate SAD for the birthday party and for the Christmas party. I also had some left-over cake late Sunday night. I did wear my 34" waist dockers to the Christmas party. One day those pants will be too big.

I did not get on the treadmill once. Really, I didn't even think about it. I need to find an activity that I like to do and have time to do. Seems like I have time to eat cake and watch TV...

Besides those two meals and the late night snack, I did good. I have my office party next Sunday. Most of the people here know I don't eat sweets and for the most part do not eat meat and cheese, but I have eaten some lasagne and bread sticks here at work that were free. I still struggle with "free" food and food going to "waste". Most of the time I pass on the free food, I am not sure why I at the lasagne a while back ago. I am guessing I just was sick of being strange, which is odd because I pride myself on being different.

I got a hair cut on Sunday, it is real short. Really really short. I have gotten lots of compliments on it, which is different. The last time I got it cut short I really didn't get much positive feedback. I went to Spots Clips. I will post a picture on Facebook. The girl that cut it wishes she would have done a before and after picture.

My wife has lost a little weight and people are starting to notice. She is not doing this WOE and still loves her Mt Dew and Reece's PB cups and meat and cheese. We don't go out to eat like we used to, plus we are not cooking large feasts any more. She is eating more salads, but she likes ceaser salads full of cheese and dressing. I am excited for her weight loss. She has said that I have gained the pounds she lost. That makes me want to get back to under 200 even more. I am going to get to my goal. I will strive for 100% but when I am not, I am not going to go all crazy about it.

My sugar has not been great, 129 on Sunday morning, after eating SAD for dinner and having plenty of deserts... I did not test it this morning. I might check it when I get home from work.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:49 pm

My sugar has been a little better. I did eat some SAD at a Christmas party and have been "snacking". Today I did the treadmill and My food was good.

This past week, I ate more good food than bad food and if I was at my goal, this week would have been fine. I am not at my goal and I need to stay focused.

Things are pretty busy.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JT of PA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:16 pm

John,

I am impressed and encouraged that with all the craziness in your life these last few months you continue to fight and "stay on the wagon". I'd have fallen off and said I'd give myself a few months off till my life settled down ... you didn't though, you kept fighting ... not always perfect, but always fighting.

Thank You so much,
John

JT of PA

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:29 am

I am not sure how well I have stayed on the wagon, but I am not in denial about my behaviour.

Today is a new day for me. December 26th. The holidays are over. No more feasts. No more SAD.

I am going to focus on MWL. I don't care what food gets "wasted". I am doing the treadmill every morning for 30 minutes and getting on the ground with some sit-ups and push-ups.

One day at a time, one meal at a time.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:44 am

I do not know what my weight is, but I am sure it is at least 230 just by the way my clothes fit. I changed my tracker to 230. It was 226.4 last week and I didn't post it.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals