Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby PreciousTaters » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:13 am

JohnLarson wrote:One day at a time, one meal at a time.

That's how it works! Simple but true. Good luck with the renewed focus! :nod: :thumbsup:
PreciousTaters

Postby redpepper » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:17 pm

:thumbsup: Good Post PreciousTaters

— JohnLarson wrote:One day at a time, one meal at a time.

I need to adopt this approch.

Thanks for posting JohnLarson, I learn a lot from the road you travel.
redpepper

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:16 am

It is not the meals that get me. All my meals yesterday were good.

B: 1/2c oatmeal w/banana
L: steamed corn on the cob, vegetables and boiled potatoes
D: (Ruby Tuesday) Salad bar, 2 baked potatoes (ordered 3, brought one home)

I also did 10 push-ups and 10 sit-ups plus 30 min on the treadmill in the morning and did an additional 30 minutes on the treadmill after work.

But, late at night I ate 8 pieces of stupid chocolate candy and some caramel pop-corn.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby PreciousTaters » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:42 pm

JohnLarson wrote:But, late at night I ate 8 pieces of stupid chocolate candy and some caramel pop-corn.

Would it help to think of late night snacking as a fourth meal for the day? A re-framing as it were. If you were think of it as a meal as opposed to just a snack/nibble, perhaps another part of your brain will kick it and get you to choose more inline with your goals? <shrug>

Personally, I generally set a piece of fruit out on the counter after dinner with explicit instructions to my snacking monster that if I want something in the evening, that is it. And only if I am truly hungry! I went through a good long while identifying that my evening predilection to eat was actually me doing so without a mindful approach. I often wasn't hungry but my snacking monster told me otherwise.

You will find a way to make it work. :nod: :thumbsup:
PreciousTaters

Postby jsl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi John,

I just popped in and read your journal...it seems like so many of us do so well for a while, and then life happens, and we slip up...and we come back, and do well, then repeat the cycle...over and over. I'm back again too after an extended 2 years off...and I know I'll have good days and bad days, I just have to keep coming here and identifying with all ya'll that understand the struggles...my family and coworkers think I'm nuts. Anyway, keep it up, you made it through Christmas...this next year is all about you!
-Jenni

jsl

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks for dropping by.

I do not want to yo-yo, that is for sure. I am pretty down on myself for gaining. My sugar is up also. This morning it was 143. The CRAP I put in my mouth is just insane. I have plenty of good choices available and I like the good choices. Why I would eat a handful of chocolate covered peanut butter balls is beyond me. I didn't struggle this much last year.

So today is another day. I can start fresh or I can dwell in the past. Dwelling in the past seems to be easier. I am struggling a little bit with my new job. Same thing, I am dwelling in the past and not focusing on the now.

I need to go back to what works and has worked. Part of that is doing a daily journal. Here is the thing, when I am not on here, I don't have to report my "slips, sneaks and snakes". I don't need to post when I did not do the treadmill or did any exercise.

My blood sugar was 143 this morning. No way is that acceptable. I ate a bunch of CRAP. Totally off plan on Sunday. I was going to do the treadmill but ate a bag of store bought cheese popcorn. WTF. It was not even that good. So today I start keeping up like I used to.

In the morning I will post my blood sugar and what I ate the day before plus any exercise. I will aim for MWL and "cheat" with Whole Wheat breads and pastas. I will also start getting on the damn scale every morning. No matter what the numbers are, I will deal with it. Weekly way-ins on Saturday and I will post results, weather I like them or not. I gained 2.4 pounds this week. I am at 232.4. Which pisses me off.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 am

I am not real sure if I gained that 2.4 pounds or not. I had not weighed myself when I put the 230 in there.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:43 am

12/30/13

BS: 143

B: banana
S: banana
L: potatoes, corn on the cob, mixed vegetables
S: pickles, gardenia mix
D: tomato soup w/mushrooms, potatoes, brussel sprouts

E: none

First day of 100% on program in a long time. My house is full of CRAP. Lots and lots of CRAP. In a few weeks it will be thrown away. I feel pretty good. No little handfuls or"just a taste". I am trying to think of the last time I had an honest 100% day, it has been a while. I saw a thing on Facebook that said, "A plant based diet is like a marriage. You can't cheat on it and expect it to work!" I also know that "just a little" does not work for me. I understand why some members are so strict. I need to be one of those members. A little oil or a little white pasta just does not work for me. I always want more. It is like Lays potato chips, you can't just have one.

I don't know what my long term plan is. In the past I have always had some sort of thought when I will or can eat SAD. Today, I am not going to worry about when I will eat SAD again. I do know it will not be today. Maybe tomorrow, but not today. The good thing about tomorrow, is that it never comes. It is always today. So I will not think about long term eating. The thought that I will NEVER have ____________ again has messed me up enough. Today I will enjoy the food that is on plan.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JT of PA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:20 am

John,

Wow, your last post read like it came out of my own head. I too silently think of when I can eat that non-McDougall food and do the old, "eat clean one week so I can eat bad one snack, one meal or one day". My problem is that "one" becomes the tip of the wedge and I fall off the wagon and go on a huge bender that when I finally have had enough and am able to look back, I see that there is so much more work I have to do to get back to where I was the moment before I ate the "one" ... (not worth it).

I use to think I was weak because I couldn't eat small amounts of junk, weak because I couldn't control it. Now, I just realize it's not meant to be and how illogical of me to pine after things that make me feel bad literally minutes after eating them. Yep, I've been illogical for a long time. :)

John ... thank you for being part of my first year here on the McDougall site ... I appreciate your input and more than once your words in your journal really, REALLY helped me.

All the best,
John

JT of PA

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:53 am

Happy New Year John!

I just wanted to share that as I read your journal, I relate, relate, relate. CRAP is my nemesis too. There is never just one. I've come to the realization it doesn't even matter that there is some CRAP in the house. There is CRAP on every street corner so it's always accessible. I am struggling to learn how to live with CRAP no matter what. Sigh. I BELIEVE WE CAN DO THIS because others here have done it. And because we have given up alcohol which was hard. And I don't know about you but cigarettes were VERY hard for me to give up but I did it. So I BELIEVE IN US!!!!

OK. So I don't know where all that just came from but there you have it. :D

Have a fabulous day!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby JohnLarson » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:30 am

John - I am slowing learning that the saying "one is too many and a hundred is not enough" applies to SAD food also. I tend to learn things the hard way. The good news is that when I do learn it, it sticks.

Lizzy - When I quit smoking (over 18 yrs ago), I was married to a smoker and my best friend was a smoker. I think most of the people I knew smoked. I had been sober a few years and worked as a DJ in a bar. Smoking had helped me cope with the job. Looking back, quitting smoking in those conditions was a good thing. I really wanted to quit and it didn't matter what was around me. I can apply the same attitude with food. Like you said, the CRAP is every where anyway.

BS: 123

B: 1c oatmeal w/banana
L: corn on the cob, potatoes, mixed vegetables
S: pickles, gardenia mix, pickled okra
D: vegetable stew (canned tomato soup, canned Rotel tomatoes, canned mushrooms, frozen mixed vegetables, potatoes)
S: air-popped pop-corn

E: 30min treadmill, 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups

Second day following plan 100%. Had a short day at work. At home we didn't do anything special for New Year's Eve. I watched a bunch of TV. I noticed lots and lots of food commercials. We are bombarded with ads for food. It really got me thinking about my relationship with food. How food "defines" us. How advertising and marketing has shaped and guided what goes into my mouth. My thoughts about food are changing.

I still have plenty to learn and I am a bite away from a binge. It is still real easy for me to say "F it" and put some CRAP in my mouth. I can't believe how excited I am to have two 100% days behind me. It has been a while. I am feeling great.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:45 pm

1/1/14

BS 119

B: Banana
L: Potatoes, mixed vegetables
S: Pickle, pickled ocra
D: Potatoes, mixed vegetable, left over vegetable stew
S: Pickles

E: treadmill - 30min; push-ups - 10, 10; sit-ups - 15

I went bowling for the first time in a long while. My daughter mentioned that I don't have to bowl around my body anymore. Third day in a row 100%!

Feeling pretty good. Blood sugar is getting closer to normal.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby kkrichar » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Good job, John!

I agree with you on quitting in the midst of plenty. I know people who quit drinking while living with practicing alcoholics. It can be done. When your head is where it needs to be all those temptations lose their power.

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby jsl » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:17 pm

I love that you don't have to bowl around your body anymore! Didn't that feel great to hear?
-Jenni

jsl

Postby Lizzy_F » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Congrats on 3 days in a row!!! When I quit smoking, I got support from a website called quitnet.com (tag line, "don't quit alone!") Anyway, there were virtual rewards for making certain milestones. On day 3, you get a virtual bracelet. So here is your bracelet for 3 100% days in a row!

John's Prize

:lol:

I'm trying to recall what the next prize is. I think at 7 days (or 10??) it's a pair of socks. I'll figure it out and find you a great pair because I know in a few more days you will earn them! :D

I seem to recall that 100 days was some sort of massive party where imaginations went wild. You get to become a member of the lodge or something. :)

Congrats on the bowling achievement too!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals