Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:02 am

1/2/14

BS: 121

B: Banana
L: brown rice w/mushrooms & vegetables
S: pickles
D: salad, potatoes, corn on the cob, vegetables
S: left over potatoes made into a potato salad, corn on the cob
S: pickles

E: treadmill 30min; push-ups - 10, 10; sit-ups 15

Work was a little stressful. The learning curve on doing sales is something else, there are so many things out of my control. I really wanted to cheer myself up with food. I was very aware of my feelings. Yesterday was a struggle. I did real good. The AA meeting I go to on Thursday nights has fresh baked cookies, sometimes even vegan (for two of us) and last night there was all sorts of cookies. I stayed clear of them. I didn't whine about it either. My house if full of all sorts of SAD snacks, plus some fat free pretzels and pretzel thins, which were bought for me that I am now not eating. My kids like the fat free pretzel thins so I will not toss them out. This weekend I will make some TopChip potato chips. I am also going to keep some boiled potatoes in the fridge to have as a quick snack. I am glad I had leftovers.

With my leftover boiled yellow potatoes I made potato salad. It was real easy. I took six of them and cut them up in about 1/2" squares, then chopped up a small onion, then I chopped up a dill pickle. I added a teaspoon (or so) of horseradish and roughly 1/8c mustard plus garlic powder, salt & pepper. It turned out pretty good. I think SAD eaters would even eat it.

Four days of 100% in a row. Four days doing my journal in a row. Coincidence? I think not. Saturday is weigh-in day. Even though I have not been back for a full week, I think I will like the results. Either way, I like the way I am feeling.

Thanks everyone for their comments on my journal. It means lots to me.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby PreciousTaters » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:50 am

JohnLarson wrote:Four days of 100% in a row. Four days doing my journal in a row. Coincidence? I think not.

Yay! Doing whatever it takes! :nod: :thumbsup:
PreciousTaters

Postby kkrichar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 am

Good job resisting those cookies!!

Your potato salad sounds good. I might try that this weekend. I bought a bag of yellow potatoes and made mashed potatoes. I didn't like it as much as my reds or my russets. So, I've been glaring at the remaining yellows with resentment. Maybe they have a better purpose...potato salad!

HW: 220 lbs BMI=36.3
CW: 162 lbs BMI=26.5
GW: 135 lbs BMI=22.3
kkrichar

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:28 am

Weigh-in Day!

228.6 down over 3 pounds.

BS: 114

B: 1c oatmeal w/banana
L: (Lonestar Steakhouse) salad, steamed spinach, two sweet potatoes, rye bread
S: pickles, gardenia mix
D: corn on the cob, potatoes w/peas and carrots
S: banana

E: treadmill - 30min; push-ups 10, 10, 5; sit-ups 15

My first time going out to eat after re-committing to this WOE. I could have done without the bread. I am not sure if the bread is regular plan or not. I am sure it has oil in it. Either way, the next time I eat there I will pass on the bread. My friend I went with, who is type 2 and has health issues, ordered brisket which is one of my favorite things. He also knows about my struggles lately with food and the ups and downs with my new career plus there is some craziness going on with my kids. As far as work goes, these last two weeks were more down than up. I am going to evaluate going out to eat with him. The conversations during our meals have gotten stranger the past few months. The strange thing he did yesterday was he was sort of gloating that he ordered the brisket dinner and how much brisket he got. Then going on and on how great it was, "better than steak", and then tells me something like since I have done so good eating on plan that if I ask nicely I could have some. WTF? I handled it good. I told him I had brisket before and I am sure theirs is good, but I like the food I ordered, which was really good. He has never been like this. This might seem crazy, but in reviewing the past year and a half, there has been a feeling of almost jealousy that I was able to stop with the shots and pills. I really never noticed it, but looking back, I can see it. He has liked the fact that I have been eating SAD with him. I know I have tried to push him towards this WOE, I guess I never noticed the push-back to eat SAD

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:24 pm

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS THIS WEEK!!! :D :nod: :-P 8) :lol: :mrgreen: ;) :-D

I hope you get things sorted out with your friend and have a better work week next week. Those issues stress me out too. :(
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby JohnLarson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:11 am

Lizzy_F - I am so happy to be losing and not gaining.

1/4/14

BS: 112

L: potatoes w/BBQ sauce, hoping john (black eyed peas & tomato)
S: radish chips, carrot chips, broccoli
D: brown rice & hoping john

E: treadmill - 30m; push-ups - 20, 20; sit-ups - 15

Still really excited about my weight loss and seeing my sugar go down. My type 2 friend came over to watch football and at one point I checked my sugar and it was 89. He was injecting himself with "the pen". I made cheese dip for him, which I did not even taste, and corn chips. He also had some peanut butter chocolate balls that we have here. My house is full of junk food, I am not sure if he had anything else.

Just before kick-off, (Chiefs at Colts) our washing machine's motor burned up. I am a Chiefs fan, so the timing was bad. It had been making funny noises the past month. It is about nine years old, so it really should not have burned up. My wife went out and picked up a new washer, while I watched the game and cleared out the broken washer. It was sort of a stressful day, but I did not cope with my stress with food. No sneaks, snacks or samples. Not even licking my fingers.

I think this is five days back on this WOE and besides the bread at the restaurant, my food has been great. My birthday is next Saturday. I need to figure out if I am going to go out to eat and where (and what) to eat. I am not sure if I can go out for sushi and just get vegetable sushi. I also am not really in a position to justify a "feast" and I am unwilling to plan to go off plan. I have plenty of time to think about it. Maybe Ruby Tuesday, but that is really not special. I like Japanese Hibachi and sushi. We shall see.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby Lizzy_F » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi John. Congrats on another on plan day, despite the stressors and also having company!

When I read your comments about your upcoming birthday, the question raced through my mind - why do celebrations always have to revolve around food? (and believe me - all of mind revolve around food!!!) I was wondering what it would be like to plan something else that's fun. A husband/wife massage? Some sort of fun activity? I dunno... Whatever you decide to do for your big day, I hope it's a special one!!
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby JohnLarson » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:46 pm

I am not sure why going out to eat is mandatory for my birthday. I think we will go bowling.

1/5/14

BS: 139

B: 1c oatmeal w/banana
L: homemade sushi
S: TopChip potato chips, raw carrot and radish chips
D: corn on the cob, potatoes, mixed veggies
S: more TopChips

E: none

No exercise, slept in and got busy. No real good excuse. I ate a ton of chips. My sushi sucked. The rice was too watery. I had gotten real good at making it. For some reason I used a different measuring cup that was wrong or was not a cup. Plus the avacodo was not ripe enough. Sushi fail.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JohnLarson » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:36 am

My work schedule was turned completely upside down on Monday and I have been very busy. I have been on the computer and iPad a little bit, but have not updated my journal.

I have not done the treadmill the past week. I have done push-ups here and there. Not as much as I would want to. The good thing about push-ups is that you can do them in jeans or even dockers. Sit-ups, well that is a different story.

Work has brought in food three times. Two lunches and one snack. I did partake in the group eating. Nothing "too" bad, but still SAD. I also ate some greasy potato chips and a few peanut butter balls one night after working way too late and pickles just weren't cutting it. I have worked extra hours this week and have still been able to hit a meeting each night. I am so glad it is Friday.

I am pretty sure I have lost weight this week. Maybe not at the pace I should have, but I am confident that I am going the right direction.

My birthday is Saturday, not real sure if we will be going out. Two good football games on TV Saturday afternoon and evening, so who knows. I might go out for lunch today. I really do not feel 48. I feel better than I did at 38. I think I could pass for 38.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JT of PA » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:44 am

John,

Your life reads so busy and hectic and yet you continue to strive toward a healthier life ... you might stumble, like we all do, but you surely don't quit. :-D

Thanks for being there for me this past year ... your words and encouragement really helped.

All the best for you and 2014,
John

JT of PA

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:24 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :D :nod: :) :cool: :-P :-) :mrgreen: :unibrow: :-D :D

I know I'm a day early but I wanted to be first! :lol: :D

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a fabulous day!
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Weigh-in Day!

Down a little, better than being up a little.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

JohnLarson

Postby JulieS » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Yippee! Happy birthday, too! :nod:
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby ♥ Amy ♥ » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:53 pm

Happy birthday! Hope you had a great day.
Thanks for being an inspiration to me!!
*Restart 12.28.13*
My Journal
♥ Amy ♥

Postby JT of PA » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:38 am

JohnLarson wrote:My birthday is Saturday, not real sure if we will be going out. Two good football games on TV Saturday afternoon and evening, so who knows. I might go out for lunch today. I really do not feel 48. I feel better than I did at 38. I think I could pass for 38.

John,

Happy Belated Birthday !!!

Congratulations on turning back the hands of time ... Well Done !!!

I don't know if I look ten years younger, but I know I move around better than I did 10 years ago ... now I'll start on the looks part of it. :-D

All the best,
John

JT of PA

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals