Oona's Ogham

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oona's Ogham

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:25 pm

Greetings! I have started on the McDougall MLP as of this week (not sure which day I began). This WOE is what I am choosing to lead me back to a life of health, energy, beauty & grace. I am documenting my progress here to help both myself and others.
The next paragraph contains a small portion of my history thus far.

I was low fat whole food vegan for about a decade ten years ago & I loved it! I was slim and healthy, full of energy. Fast forward ten years later- about 5 years ago I went vegetarian (which continued until this month) and I immediately gained weight-and continued to gain-and developed various health concerns. I am only 5 feet tall with a small frame, and when vegan hovered around 100 pounds without trying (and that was eating some processed foods and oils too)( I weighed 90 pounds in high school). Now I have ballooned up to my largest size ever- as of today at 117. I know it may not sound like much to most people but I basically have a child size frame and according to my weight/fat/water scale I am currently at 27% fat-and it is visible from head to toe. I also have other various inflammatory ailments such as TMJ disorder, migraines & acid reflux. At 46 years old, I am entering the early to mid stages of perimenopause as well-which has been rough seas indeed especially with regard to mood & emotions.

I tried the ETL Fuhrman program twice in the past year, but was left ceaselessly ravenous no matter how much I consumed-which invariably led to digestive discomfort as my system tried to process the overabundance of intake. Since I started on McDougall MLP I have been fully satisfied with my meals every day, and very little to no digestive distress. So far I have only lost a pound or possibly 2, but it is very early days. I just finished my breakfast of oats with fruit, feeling very calm, grounded & hopeful for a better future.

My health goals: Weight returning to around 95 pounds by summer-and stabilizing at about 19% BMI or lower (what I was before when healthy). Reduction or better of inflammatory issues & graceful peri/menopause experience.

I wish to be once again slim, vibrant & a help & inspiration to others! May it be so. Bless!
Last edited by OOnaOwl on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Re: Oona's path to health

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:09 pm

I am not sure what today is in terms of when I started. I will choose Sunday February 9th for my start date, for it was either that day or close to it. It is also the anniversary of my father's death so I will for sure remember it. So that would make Day 6. As of today I have lost 2 pounds! I still have 22 pounds to go before I reach my goal. I lost another pound since yesterday :). I am sure it has to do with my choice of dinner last night- a very simple veggie potato soup that I added some brown rice to. I ate to satiety, but was hungry again a few hours later-but by then it was too late in the evening to eat more. The hunger wasn't that bad, so I just drank more water and tea & it subsided. I had thought at the time of dinner that it wouldn't be "enough" of a meal to sate me until morning, and I was correct. I will do my best to choose foods that I think will fill me until bedtime in the future.

I had another challenge today as it was the first time I have visited a restaurant since going on plan. It was a Scandinavian place to celebrate Valentine's day with my sweetheart. I filled up on oats with fruit before we ventured out. I researched the menu ahead of time online, and saw that they had half grapefruits and steamed greens which I could eat. I ordered these when we got there, along with a Norwegian apterif for something "festive". The greens were soaked in apple cider vinegar, which was not to my taste-but I ate them anyway. My sweetheart kept offering me to try some of his meal, which I politely refused. I was able to simply observe my desires and not respond to them. Remembering my progress-albeit small- was very helpful in those moments! We have now returned home and I promptly put some potatoes in the oven which I will eat to round out the afternoon's fuel along with some black beans and vegetables. We are visiting another venue this evening so I will have another chance to access my inner strength and integrity :).

When I was vegan before, I still ate oil and processed foods, so eating at restaurants was not a challenge in my city-there are many places that serve vegan and vegetarian fare. From now on I will be choosing to enjoy the beverages even more, eating beforehand to sustain my energy. I am undecided about enjoying the occasional off-plan meal-I think it very much depends on how easy/hard it is for me to reach my initial goal of weight loss!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Day 7.

I am down another pound for a total of 3 in one week! This was even after drinking a pint of strong beer and a cube of chocolate to celebrate the holiday yesterday. Today's meals have consisted of my usual oats & fruit breakfast & now a big bowl of baked acorn squash, quinoa with mushrooms & leftover black beans. I think dinner will be light if anything, and probably some water-sautéed kale with some of the leftovers from lunch. I want to eat more raw but have limited space in the refrigerator as I share it with 4 others. I do tend to eat a predominantly cooked meals in colder months and more raw in warmer season, so perhaps I shouldn't concern myself about it.

I am so thrilled to be finally slimming down & getting healthier again. I have felt so ill, lethargic and out of control the whole time I was eating vegetarian/flexitarian. It is so wonderful to be reclaiming my health & energy again! Hurrah! :)

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Day 8
I am down another 1/2 pound as of this morning. Yesterday I was so full from lunch that all I made for dinner was some water sautéed greens. Today I had my oats and fruit breakfast & lunch was leftovers from yesterdays lunch-acorn squash, black beans and quinoa. I am still pretty full from that so dinner is just going to be baked potato. I am baking some extras to have for tomorrow too.
I went to a restaurant again today with a friend. I was so full from lunch still that all I had was a drink. I am loving this program so much! I feel so calm & satisfied, and cravings for unhealthy things seem to be abating. The last place I gained weight-my stomach- is shrinking super fast! Looking forward to seeing the rest disappear like a bad dream.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Day 9.

I measured my waist this morning and I have lost a 1/2 inch from it just this week! Also, my pants that were too tight and hard to pull up all the way without effort now slide up all the way to my navel with ease. :)
The food is so, so filling that I am going to have to cut back on my portions. I am finding myself having to force myself to eat at the next meal as I am not super hungry and still somewhat full from the previous one. Also my bad food cravings are fading away.
B: Oats with fruit
L: One-pot meal of potato, lentils, carrots, onion, quinoa and shitake mushroom with garlic.
D: One-pot meal of dinosaur kale, beet, acorn squash, leek, onion.

Tomorrow I will try to cut back on portion sizes & see how that goes. I welcome comments, questions & feedback or just a friendly salute! Bless!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Day 10.

B: Oats with fruit
L: Quinoa with lentils
Snack: Potato with vegan cheesy sauce
D: Baked potato with vegan cheesy sauce, water sautéed kale, mushroom with garlic and onion

Today I worked on cutting back portions of lunch and dinner. I ate about 1/2 to 2/3 of what I did yesterday for lunch, and found myself hungry mid afternoon so had a potato snack. Just did the same for dinner (bit smaller portions but still plenty) and if I get hungry before 8pm I will have a small snack of banana or potato. Tomorrow going to bake another squash to have instead of grains at lunch and dinner. No southern movement on today's scale but pants and undergarments are feeling looser and easier to put on. Feeling very happy about this way of eating!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Day 12.

Back up to 117 pounds?! I haven't strayed one morsel from the plan. I know weight loss isn't steady but only at about a 1 to 2 pound loss in almost 2 weeks, hoping that is normal and that I will still lose the 22 I have to go. I welcome feedback on this conundrum! I do drink one bottle of microbrew beer each night but I have done so for the past year or two. That is about 150 calories in one 12 ounce bottle of craft beer from what I researched.
Yesterdays meals as follows:
B: Oats and fruit
L: water sauté of veggies with side of baked potatoes with cheesy sauce
D: Bowl of lentil soup

Baked a big acorn squash which will be my starch for today's lunch and dinner along with veggies
and leftover lentil soup. Pants still are fitting baggier and I am looking less puffy all over- but oh so
much more to go!

Cutting back on portions has been good, was overeating before- still eating to full satiety but just not until overfull. Eating whenever hungry also.

OOnaOwl

Postby nayasmom » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi OonaOwl, I have been following the McDougall diet parameters for about a month now and I haven't moved past the initial 3 lb weight loss. Once a week I allow myself a splurge meal, which is usually a pizza with no sauce, just veggies on it, but yesterday I had a sandwich with lite avocado and veggies, with slices of dill pickle. I had the salad bar as well, and for want of a suitable dressing used the bean salad mix (full of sugar, bleah) and a tiny amount of olive oil with vinegar.
All day today I've had a rumbly in my tumbly, as Pooh would say.
Anyway, you can rationalize the daily beer, but I suspect if you continue with the daily indulgence, you'll have a hard time losing weight. You very well could be "metabolically efficient" like me.
Try a week without the beer, and see if there's a difference in the weight loss. For myself, everything has been removed from my list of acceptable food that's processed (save for the weekly splurge meal), and too high in fat. Quinoa has 3g fat per serving, so I have to be very judicious on using quinoa, like maybe once a week only, or one serving spread out over several days.
I'm also still experiencing the daily tiredness that I used to have from eating way too much fruit, so I have to consider that apples are not appropriate for me as a fruit. I'm going to buy grapes today and see if I can use that for my daily fruit. If not... there's pears, bananas, mangoes, pineapple... Something is bound to work for me!
Just keep tweaking your diet to find out what's working and what's holding you back.
Robyn
PS I do enjoy reading your journal!!
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 pm

nayasmom wrote:Hi OonaOwl, I have been following the McDougall diet parameters for about a month now and I haven't moved past the initial 3 lb weight loss. Once a week I allow myself a splurge meal, which is usually a pizza with no sauce, just veggies on it, but yesterday I had a sandwich with lite avocado and veggies, with slices of dill pickle. I had the salad bar as well, and for want of a suitable dressing used the bean salad mix (full of sugar, bleah) and a tiny amount of olive oil with vinegar.
All day today I've had a rumbly in my tumbly, as Pooh would say.
Anyway, you can rationalize the daily beer, but I suspect if you continue with the daily indulgence, you'll have a hard time losing weight. You very well could be "metabolically efficient" like me.
Try a week without the beer, and see if there's a difference in the weight loss. For myself, everything has been removed from my list of acceptable food that's processed (save for the weekly splurge meal), and too high in fat. Quinoa has 3g fat per serving, so I have to be very judicious on using quinoa, like maybe once a week only, or one serving spread out over several days.
I'm also still experiencing the daily tiredness that I used to have from eating way too much fruit, so I have to consider that apples are not appropriate for me as a fruit. I'm going to buy grapes today and see if I can use that for my daily fruit. If not... there's pears, bananas, mangoes, pineapple... Something is bound to work for me!
Just keep tweaking your diet to find out what's working and what's holding you back.
Robyn
PS I do enjoy reading your journal!!

Thanks for your reply Robin!

I did try almost a week without the beer and noticed no difference or increase in loss. I might try that again if this plateau continues. I am noticing that my clothes are fitting looser and I look less puffy, so perhaps the scale will reflect that soon also. I haven't been doing anything off plan except for the beer. Absolutely no oils or nuts etc. I will keep going with it and may try a Mary's Mini if the MLP isn't giving sufficient results soon. Why do you get tired from fruit? Is it the sugars? Congrats on making the change to this WOE. It feels like a gift to oneself doesn't it?
Bless!
Oona

OOnaOwl

Postby nayasmom » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:01 am

Hi, OonaOwl,
I believe it's the sugars in fruit that makes me tired. Last year I was essentially vegan but was experiencing terrible exhaustion in the afternoons. If I was on call I HAD to lie down for a nap in case I got called in at night, and if I was called in at night I had to come in late next morning. No amount of sleep was ever enough. I had a tough time training for the Redrun in Virginia City because when it was time to go do a training run, I was SO tired I fought going. And my runs were tired, heavy, and uninspiring. I got through it and even finished the Redrun in a good time (for me), but ... pretty much stopped running right after.
Then I discovered that my cholesterol had gone up, and my triglycerides had risen 100 pts since 2010, to 339 mg/dl. Ouch! So I researched cause and effect, and came up with the massive amounts of fruit I'd been consuming every day. We're talking roughly 5~6 servings per day, with chopped nuts, coconut, flax seed, and maraschino cherries mixed in. Once I learned what was driving my triglycerides up, I immediately cut waaaay back on fruit, and the exhaustion disappeared.
When I started the McDougall diet Jan. 20, I put away the nuts, coconut, maraschino cherries, and got off the boca burgers, breads, almond butter, etc. The molasses and honey and sugar are all stashed away.
I never liked oatmeal but ate it anyway because it's "good for me". When I tried the multi-whole grain hot cereal, holy chorizo that was like waking up from a bad dream, so no more of that nasty oatmeal for me!! I find I don't need sweetener in it like I needed in the oatmeal.
Anyway, small changes like that have led to major changes in my daily diet, but one thing I hung on to was an apple a day. Now, I'm never exhausted, but when I sit down my eyes get very heavy and sleepy and it doesn't matter time of day or what I'm doing while I'm sitting. I eat a wide variety of foods day to day, so I wasn't suspecting the potatoes, rices, veggies, etc. I pinpointed the apple because of its sugar content - my guess only - and the fact that apples are the one constant food every day.
Now I'm trying grapes. I had a serving of them a little while ago, so tomorrow I'll try to gauge my sense of energy overall. I'll work my way through the fruits that I enjoy to see if I can eat a serving a day and not pay for it the next day in sleepiness.
Now, when I started the McDougall diet, I also entered a marathon in August, and began training for it. I've increased my mileage week to week, and you'd think I'd be losing actual pounds as a result... and that has SO not happened!! :\
I would love to not eliminate my splurge meal once a week, so I can tweak that as well to stay within my parameters while still indulging, meaning it will be pizza once a week and that's it.
It may simply need perseverence for me, and for you as well. I'm not losing hope or getting discouraged; I have benefitted from this change of diet in other ways that are wonderful so I am capitalizing on those benefits rather than wondering after lack of weight loss. For now, anyway.
Take care!
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:15 pm

Day 13.
Holding steady on the MWLP, getting more automatic with meal choices, preparation & consumption.
L: Baked potatoes with cheesy sauce
D: Water sauté of kale, mushrooms, potato, onion, garlic
D: Banana

Still at 117 this morning. I realize I was overstuffing myself last week, eating just to satiety feels better now. Bought another bag of potatoes, brown rice, greens & beans. I always buy all organic foods. I believe they are worth the additional expense, not just for my own health but that of the planet and all it's current and future inhabitants. :) Had some wicked insomnia last night, I think because I drank a second cup of green tea yesterday. I cannot handle caffeine at all. Feeling like a zombie girl today on account of it!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:20 pm

nayasmom wrote:Hi, OonaOwl,
I believe it's the sugars in fruit that makes me tired. Last year I was essentially vegan but was experiencing terrible exhaustion in the afternoons. If I was on call I HAD to lie down for a nap in case I got called in at night, and if I was called in at night I had to come in late next morning. No amount of sleep was ever enough. I had a tough time training for the Redrun in Virginia City because when it was time to go do a training run, I was SO tired I fought going. And my runs were tired, heavy, and uninspiring. I got through it and even finished the Redrun in a good time (for me), but ... pretty much stopped running right after.
Then I discovered that my cholesterol had gone up, and my triglycerides had risen 100 pts since 2010, to 339 mg/dl. Ouch! So I researched cause and effect, and came up with the massive amounts of fruit I'd been consuming every day. We're talking roughly 5~6 servings per day, with chopped nuts, coconut, flax seed, and maraschino cherries mixed in. Once I learned what was driving my triglycerides up, I immediately cut waaaay back on fruit, and the exhaustion disappeared.
When I started the McDougall diet Jan. 20, I put away the nuts, coconut, maraschino cherries, and got off the boca burgers, breads, almond butter, etc. The molasses and honey and sugar are all stashed away.
I never liked oatmeal but ate it anyway because it's "good for me". When I tried the multi-whole grain hot cereal, holy chorizo that was like waking up from a bad dream, so no more of that nasty oatmeal for me!! I find I don't need sweetener in it like I needed in the oatmeal.
Anyway, small changes like that have led to major changes in my daily diet, but one thing I hung on to was an apple a day. Now, I'm never exhausted, but when I sit down my eyes get very heavy and sleepy and it doesn't matter time of day or what I'm doing while I'm sitting. I eat a wide variety of foods day to day, so I wasn't suspecting the potatoes, rices, veggies, etc. I pinpointed the apple because of its sugar content - my guess only - and the fact that apples are the one constant food every day.
Now I'm trying grapes. I had a serving of them a little while ago, so tomorrow I'll try to gauge my sense of energy overall. I'll work my way through the fruits that I enjoy to see if I can eat a serving a day and not pay for it the next day in sleepiness.
Now, when I started the McDougall diet, I also entered a marathon in August, and began training for it. I've increased my mileage week to week, and you'd think I'd be losing actual pounds as a result... and that has SO not happened!! :\
I would love to not eliminate my splurge meal once a week, so I can tweak that as well to stay within my parameters while still indulging, meaning it will be pizza once a week and that's it.
It may simply need perseverence for me, and for you as well. I'm not losing hope or getting discouraged; I have benefitted from this change of diet in other ways that are wonderful so I am capitalizing on those benefits rather than wondering after lack of weight loss. For now, anyway.
Take care!
Robyn

Hi Robyn,
Hope the grapes work out for you or some other fruit instead. I haven't been doing anything processed or a splurge meal. I do have a bottle of beer most nights though. Have you trained for a marathon before? Only one I ever trained for a few years ago I didn't lose any weight at all, I gained about 4 pounds I think. I wasn't on this WOE at the time I was vegetarian. Good that you are keeping your spirits up & counting your blessings :) ! I am doing the same. Bless! Oona

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Day 14.
Accidentally skipped a meal today. Partly because I was out running and doing errands at the time I would have had lunch. Partly because my appetite is shrinking from all the delicious filling food! I was hungry of course by the time I got home, but not the awful ravenous feelings I was getting before on the ETL 6WP. I woke up about a 1/2 pound lighter today, hoping for some significant loss soon as entering my 3rd week now. Seems that there should be more loss happening to me. I think I am at about a 1 to 3 pound loss since I got back on the low fat whole food vegan path (ETL 6WP for about ten days first) about 3 to 4 weeks ago. My ultimate goal is to lose 22 pounds, but realistically if it is 15 to 20 that would be acceptable. I keep pinching my chubby areas to see if they are shrinking and they do appear to be. Weather is not as brutal so raw dishes seem a bit more appealing now that it isn't a frozen wasteland outside-so I will attempt more raw tomorrow.
L/D: Water sauté of kale, acorn squash, mushroom, onion, garlic, tofu. Side of two corn tortillas with salsa.
Still full from dinner so no snack or dessert needed tonight. Bless!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Day 16.
Still on track! Yesterday meals:
L: Romaine salad with salsa/cheesy dressing (homemade). Baked potatoes with same topping.
D: Baked potato same as above
D: Banana and 3 cashews ( I know they are verboten ) Bottle of beer.
Today so far:
L: Baked acorn squash and potato with same topping as yesterday (it's yummy!). Romaine salad with topping too.

So my crazy ravenous appetite is disappearing more each day I am on this program. I still have an appetite but it is not the same intensity as before when I was doing ETL. Also I may have lost another pound or two! I had to weigh myself on bathroom scale this morning instead of bedroom scale (they usually are within a pound or two of each other). I am refraining from certainty until I see it reflected multiple days in a row from the scale I have been using each day in bedroom. My skin appears to be less blotchy and bumpy on my face, and the puffiness continues to lessen. I am enjoying the salad with lunch, and will continue each day with this. Excited to see what tomorrow brings!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 pm

Day 17.

Only 2 meals again today.
B: Oats and fruit.
L/D: Baked potatoes and romaine salad with cheesy sauce and salsa.
D: Banana and 2 cashews (need to find an alternative to them).

Did an hour of kundalini yoga before bed last night and slept too long today!
Short run today of about 1 1/2 miles. Thursday will shoot for 2 to 3 miles, training for a 5K in mid March.
No significant weight reduction still, but took a hard look in the mirror and I could swear it appears as though
some of the fat is disappearing? I have been doing the pinch test and what I can pinch is lessening it seems too.
Last edited by OOnaOwl on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OOnaOwl

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals