Oona's Ogham

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Oona's Ogham

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks for posting that recipe, and SO sorry to hear about your menopause symptoms. :( Hopefully you'll feel better soon. My "biggie" is racing heart rate. HOW I hate it! On "high hormone" days, if I so much as go up the stairs, my heart pounds out of my chest for the rest of the day.

Eating this way will help a lot, if it hasn't already. Keep it up! I'm about ready to do a bit of batch cooking. Red lentil stew sounds like just the thing.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Thanks for posting that recipe, and SO sorry to hear about your menopause symptoms. :( Hopefully you'll feel better soon. My "biggie" is racing heart rate. HOW I hate it! On "high hormone" days, if I so much as go up the stairs, my heart pounds out of my chest for the rest of the day.

Eating this way will help a lot, if it hasn't already. Keep it up! I'm about ready to do a bit of batch cooking. Red lentil stew sounds like just the thing.

Thanks so much for replying Buns! :) Oh I haven't had that symptom, that sounds most unpleasant. I do get palpitations though from the menopause and adrenal issues. I'm 51 now and never had children so I hope that I will be done with the "fun" in a year or two max!
I will try to post more recipes, didn't know anyone would be interested in mine. I am a lazy, rebellious cook! I never use proper recipes & rarely use measuring devices either. Also I keep ingredients & prep time minimal! Also I have a long list of food sensitivities so that is a huge factor in every dish prepared. I do love batch cooking though, and hope to do a lot more of it after we move. I am currently in a small kitchen that it just doesn't work in.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Today's log!
Had a most wretched night of insomnia/anxiety the first half of night. Then I slept well after that! Migraine and accompanying symptoms are largely gone so I was able to (hallelujah!) do some yoga today. :) What a welcome change! I want to run but waiting on that until I am certain I am better.
I was completely astonished to find a different number on the scale this morning! I am still several pounds over where I was last fall when I was posting here, but I might actually be losing some fat finally. I cut back on the basmati rice yesterday and ate more of the red lentil/veggie stew. I was still eating like a cup of rice per meal but all the days before that I was eating "as much as I wanted" to the limits of satiety. Yesterday I ate the stew first and the rice last, which is what I have been doing with my veggie/rice meals (w/o beans/legumes) also as I read that is good for weight loss. I think the added beans/legumes are helping somehow? Only time will tell. I know on the Mary's Mini no beans are allowed so I thought I would lose faster w/o them most days, but maybe that isn't true for me, idk. Will just keep eating the plants on plan & see....
Weight: 117.6, down from about 119 this past week. My smart scale says it is fat loss not water loss, hope it is right!

B: oats with blueberries banana and cinnamon, coffee with plant milk (almost all decaf and a little half caff).
L: red lentil vegetable stew with basmati rice
S: none
D: red lentil vegetable stew with basmati rice
S: puffed brown rice cereal with banana and plant milk tsp. brown sugar
Back later to fill in details....
Last edited by OOnaOwl on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 am

Today's log.
Still dealing with migraine/adrenal symptoms yesterday and today. That makes nearly a week of symptoms, hard to function! The adrenal issues are worsened by the hormonal issues, also under new stress that further taxes the adrenals. Not going to discuss here but it is major & ongoing for the foreseeable future! Will be ramping up my qigong & spiritual practices daily to cope.
My weight is actually down still today, so I think that may be real fat loss. Now I am 2 pounds over my low weight from last fall when I was logging here-and my former low then was my former high weight if you understand. Humbling moments all around! At least I am losing the "stored excess energy" a little, I will cultivate more patience & eat more beans/legumes which I think are helping the loss somehow.
Weight: 117.2
B: oats with blueberries, banana, cinnamon & salt coffee (decaf and half/caff) with plant milk
S:
L:basmati rice with amy's lentil soup (half a can) 3 raw carrots
S: 3 rice cakes with mustard
D: yellow potatoes, zucchini, brussel sprouts and 1/2 chicken breast
S:
So today 2 of my meals had ingredients off plan. Today I will eat the other half of the Amy's soup can & tomorrow will be back 100% on plan. It was a combination of poor planning & laziness under stress that lead to the straying. Not sweating this, $&#@ happens! I have SO many food sensitivities that most pre-packaged soups I cannot have, including McDougall's variety. No nightshades, no wheat, no corn, no soy etc. Anyway that was the last of the pantry soup cans so now I will choose plain beans in a can or make my own soup. When we move I will probably make and freeze soups in serving sizes to have in these moments. Right now were I am there is no room in the freezer (already I have many stored vegetables in there). I also have some pre-made vegan patties that I will be using up over the next month or so, just enjoying one per week. As long as weight loss continues-if not I will throw them out. I would gift them to someone but there is no one nearby at all! I will not be repurchasing these in future, but instead making and freezing my own that are much healthier. I enjoyed eating the raw carrots with lunch, will be repeating that again today or something like it. I also want to make a shredded veggie salad to have with dinner, probably will have to make tomorrow.
Last edited by OOnaOwl on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:39 am

Today's log!
Weight still remains at 117.2, smart scale shows it is fat loss! Mirror reflects this also. Feeling slightly encouraged about achieving my goals. Another dear goal I have is to begin running regularly again. It is one of my great loves in life! Also having a daily home yoga practice. Hoping to make this a reality by summer. I was hoping for last fall, then this spring, it keeps evading me with all the migraine/menopause issues. I have a few good days or even weeks and then I am back at the beginning over and over. Well menopause is not forever! Today I will do yoga, hoping tomorrow or Monday latest to do a run. Migraine issues are fading bit by bit. Period was longer and weirder than in recent years, think this diet is changing my hormones hopefully for the better.

B: oats, apple, cinnamon, garam masala, turmeric, salt. coffee with hemp milk
S: golden potatoes with nutritional yeast
L: basmati rice with leftover soup on top
S:
D: quinoa, broccoli, zucchini & chicken breast baked
S:
No exercise today, still had migraine issues (spine pain and stiffness, head pain, exhaustion etc.)

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Todays log!
Finally feeling better today! :) Wow, that was a whole week of migraine/menopause/menstrual issues, truly awful. Back on track with meals again today, made some red lentil vegetable stew that should last through tomorrow at least. Hoping to go for run tomorrow. Today will just do some qigong (which I also did yesterday but forgot to log it here). Tuesday will resume yoga also. Still planning on making a shredded veggie salad to go with my stew and rice. Weight is staying down so I think it is really fat loss! Still haven't found measuring tape, hopefully this week.
B: oats with carob, banana, cinnamon, salt and maple syrup. coffee and hemp milk
L: basmati rice with red lentil vegetable stew.
S: 2 small gold potatoes with nutritional yeast
D: small bowl of basmati rice with red lentil vegetable stew
S:

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Today's log!

Weight: 117.6. Up 1/2 pound but I think it is slow digestion issue, not fat gain. My ribcage and abdomen appear leaner still from a week ago. Hoping to start shedding visible fat from other areas also soon.

Exercise: 30 minutes run/walk (week 4 day 1 from C25K-several 5 & 3 minute running sessions with shorter walk breaks between)
I had more stamina today for my run! Was finally well enough to run today, so freaking fantastic! :) Hoping to get 3 sessions in this week, Wednesday & Friday to complete. Tomorrow will do yoga.
B: oats, carob, banana, cinnamon, salt. coffee and hemp milk
L: basmati rice with leftover red lentil vegetable stew.
S:
D: basmati rice with leftover red lentil vegetable stew
S:
I have been having two drinks for liver health every day lately also. I have roasted dandelion tea at night, and first thing in the morning I have half a lemon squeezed into warm water. I may also start doing some castor oil on my liver at night.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 am

Today's log!
B: oats, carob, banana, cinnamon, salt, maple syrup (1 tsp.) coffee & hemp milk
S: 4 carrots with Engine2 hummus
L: basmati rice with leftover red lentil vegetable stew
S:
D: quinoa & basmati rice with red lentil vegetable stew (fresh batch).
S:
Exercise: 25 minutes yoga
Weight back down a half pound today to my low of last week. Bought some Engine 2 hummus yesterday to have with raw vegetables. Bought a block of tofu to try out soy again, haven't had any for many months. Testing for sensitivity. If no reaction I will add in some on occasion. I have one serving of the stew left to enjoy today, then will make something else. Bought some fresh asparagus also.
Made a new batch of red lentil vegetable stew. This time the vegetables I added are: lots of chopped frozen kale, cabbage, red onion, red beet. Pretty sure I put another vegetable in there but I can't remember what!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Today's log!
Weight: 117.4
B: oats with carob, cinnamon, banana, salt. Coffee with hemp milk.
L: basmati rice with red lentil vegetable stew
S: basmati rice
D: puffed brown rice cereal with 2 bananas & unsweetened almond milk 1TBSP maple syrup.
Exercise: 30 minute run/walk
Was not in the mood for dinner tonight but still hungry. I ate cold cereal instead, not the best but not the worst choice! If someone had prepared me something that sounded good I would have eaten it, but that didn't happen haha! I wanted to make a shredded salad but didn't again today. I am under a lot of stress-many huge unknowns in my future-I am sure that is part of it. Hopefully tomorrow I will make enough for a few days. My recipe will include red cabbage, carrot, white cabbage, beet, red onion & apple. Probably make a ginger-mustard dressing (fat free of course).
Hope I lose some more fat soon! The run today was good, still just a fraction of what I used to do but slowly making a little bit of gains. Goal is to go again Friday, then take weekend off & keep to a M/W/F schedule for running until I can move to 4 times a week. Alternate days are for yoga until I am strong enough to do yoga every day again.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:40 am

Still on track! Dealing with huge TMJ disorder flare up now, caused by lots of stress. Hopefully will have the energy to list everything tomorrow. In too much pain to sleep right now :(.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Still on plan, it took a couple days of eating soft foods and liquids to calm my TMJD flare up. Under a lot of stress, so many huge unknowns in my future right now. I ran again today & did yoga yesterday. Still not losing any weight so I am changing ratios to even more MWL style. Dinner last night was un-fried rice, made with brown rice & tons of non-starchy vegetables. I spiced it with garlic salt, ginger powder & some hot sauce (w/o oil). Going to have that again for dinner tonight.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:46 pm

Today's log:
Weight: 117.6
B: 2 bananas, coffee with plant milk
L: brown rice with leftover water sauteed veggies & black beans
D: brown rice with black beans, steamed zucchini, broccoli & brussel sprouts.
S: puffed brown rice cereal with banana and almond milk
Exercise: 25 minutes yoga
Feeling very down & anxious. Future is very uncertain on many levels! Still eating almost 100% on plan (no starch for breakfast today is my slip up). Still no more weight lost. Tomorrow is a run day, but may have to move it to Thursday and Saturday this week instead of Wednesday & Friday (I also ran yesterday). First goal is solid 3x/week 30 minutes of running. Then will increase to 4x/week or so with 2 or 3 shorter runs (20 to 30 minutes solid) and 1 long slow run per week. Don't know if I will be able to get there again (this was my former weekly base exercise before advanced adrenal fatigue). It's comforting to have tangible immediate projects like healthy eating and fitness to focus on right now (I mean I am always focused on these things but right now it is helping my mental health deal with all the uncertain future stresses also). Sadly, if it's anything like the past 2 years I will be sidelined with a migraine for about a week any day now. I am not giving up, will keep at this as many days as I can each month!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Wed May 01, 2019 9:57 am

Times are tough, still here & still eating plants unprocessed. Having to shift ratios as of yesterday because I am not losing weight still (118 this morning for past few days). It's been about 2 months eating this way and even at very slow weight loss it should still be happening & it just isn't. Because of this, as of yesterday I am upping my veggies & fruits & beans & cutting back on grains & switching to only oats & brown rice & quinoa in minute amounts, no white rice or white potatoes. This will be too many beans on some days for this plan, and definitely more fruit. Not enough starches except for the extreme MWL plan. More raw fruits and veggies daily. Honestly the only way I have ever lost significant weight in recent years was doing another plants unprocessed diet that I am not sure I am allowed to mention here? I prefer McDougall for ease & satiety, but this other way I actually lost fat weight but was not satiated. Caught in a bind with this, I want this way to work for my goals but it just isn't! I have to face reality. Hoping I can lose the fat weight & shift more back towards mainly/all McDougall again without gaining it back. I am blending the two styles rapid weight loss-MWL & unmentionable plan- together for my own, hopefully successful, approach now.
I did run 3 times last week!
B: 1/4 dry rolled oats, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 banana, cinnamon & unsweetened almond milk. Decaf coffee with unsweetened almond milk
L:
D:
Back later to fill in details.

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sun May 05, 2019 7:48 pm

Still here, still eating whole plants!
B: oats, blueberries, banana, cinnamon & unsweetened almond milk. decaf and plant milk
L: zoodles, red onion, black beans and nooch, spices.
D: cauliflower rice, brussel sprouts, butternut squash, pinto beans, spices & nooch.
S: banana carob "shake" for dessert (banana, almond milk, carob powder, cinnamon)
So I am pretty sure I have insulin resistance from my adrenal fatigue issue. Going to avoid white rice & white potatoes for the most part, and eat less grains in general. Keeping the oats for breakfast (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup dry oats) and sometimes will have quinoa, brown rice or sweet potato for dinner. Been enjoying the shredded or spiralized raw veggies for lunch each day, will keep eating it until fall if I am still enjoying it that long. Will occasionally make fresh spring rolls & veggie sushi for lunch. Dinner has been mostly cooked foods.
Another plus is that I ran 3 times both last week and the week before! This is the most I have been able to exercise in 2 years from adrenal fatigue illness. Barely running still since I am so out of shape, but it is a solid start. My period is due any time now, and with it I may get the usual migraine that can last up to a week. If/when that happens there will be no exercise until all symptoms are gone. Another good thing from either the running or the lower white carb/higher raw foods eating is my eye bags are nearly gone. I thought they were from age but apparently they were from illness!!! This is very wonderful, I only got them these past 2 years and wasn't enjoying them at all. Ok, that is it for now. Hopefully will start losing weight soon, my two months of patience is wearing thin (unlike my figure)!

OOnaOwl

Postby OOnaOwl » Sun May 19, 2019 9:33 am

Still here, still eating whole food plants for fuel! I ran twice this past week, it was TOM so one day I would have ran I rested instead. Back to 3 times this next week, SO HAPPY to be running again!!! I am eating a lot more raw produce now, shredded vegetable salads for lunch and fruit snacks whenever I want. This week want to up my greens intake also, had less greens since the weather has warmed a bit. Re-lost the 2 pounds I had re-gained but no new loss. Working with diet & exercise to get my insulin resistance healed. Got some supplements for estrogen dominance (DIM & progest cream & another) that I am going to try out this year. Pretty sure this is why I am not losing any fat weight.

OOnaOwl

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals