Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Postby bragur » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:35 pm

So interesting to read your story and thoughts Nicole, thank you very much for sharing!

I came across Dr. McDougall some years ago through some other illnesses but now my girlfriend has had a recent flare up in her psoriasis skin patches and was also diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about two weeks ago. Her doctor prescribed Methotrexate, which seems to have horrible side effects. Of course this is devastating but I was pretty optimistic I would be able to find some dietary success stories and here I am.

I'm pretty curious as to how I can help her to get started.

From what I gather from reading through some dozens of pages here is to start with the elimination diet and work towards finding the right diet, rest well, exercise, reduce stress and enjoy life!

So a couple of questions:
* I see your list of allowed foods is much more extensive than the McDougall elimination start out diet. There's also some foods (ie. nightshades, citrus fruits etc) which are to be avoided. Do you think there is another better way to start out with eliminating? Should we consider following your list for starters or do you think this is too personalized to be a work-for-all type of thing?
* What sort of exercise regime works the best for you and how soon do you think it's possible to start when, hopefully, the dietary restrictions have started to help?
* Anything else I'm missing?

I guess that's a bit more than a couple :nod:

Anyway, thanks again for all you've written, hope you are well and have some time to respond to my questions :D
bragur

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Postby nicoles » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21 pm

bragur wrote:So interesting to read your story and thoughts Nicole, thank you very much for sharing!

I came across Dr. McDougall some years ago through some other illnesses but now my girlfriend has had a recent flare up in her psoriasis skin patches and was also diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about two weeks ago. Her doctor prescribed Methotrexate, which seems to have horrible side effects. Of course this is devastating but I was pretty optimistic I would be able to find some dietary success stories and here I am.

I'm pretty curious as to how I can help her to get started.

From what I gather from reading through some dozens of pages here is to start with the elimination diet and work towards finding the right diet, rest well, exercise, reduce stress and enjoy life!

So a couple of questions:
* I see your list of allowed foods is much more extensive than the McDougall elimination start out diet. There's also some foods (ie. nightshades, citrus fruits etc) which are to be avoided. Do you think there is another better way to start out with eliminating? Should we consider following your list for starters or do you think this is too personalized to be a work-for-all type of thing?
* What sort of exercise regime works the best for you and how soon do you think it's possible to start when, hopefully, the dietary restrictions have started to help?
* Anything else I'm missing?

I guess that's a bit more than a couple :nod:

Anyway, thanks again for all you've written, hope you are well and have some time to respond to my questions :D

HI! I am so sorry it took me so long to respond!

If you are still considering, I think starting at McDougall baseline is ideal, my list of foods expanded from there so that is where I started, minus citrus, nightshades, soy and corn. Corn still bothers me, even today.

I lreally like swimming as a starting point, ideally in a heated pool or one that has a hot tub for before and after.

I hope this helps!
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals