Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis Journal 2- Equation for Change

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:22 pm

well, now i feel that I have a word to look up. . .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xoxoxo

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:04 pm

moonwatcher wrote:well, now i feel that I have a word to look up. . .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

xoxoxo

moonwatcher

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Which one? :?

hehe

I came across that word recently and it is the perfect blend of wonderfully ridiculous sounding and loaded with meaning, a meaning that it might be fun to apply to those not familiar with the definition. But I would never do that to a wonderful McDougaller like you, MW :)
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Either way, my navel and I are not offended!! :lol: :lol:

xoxo

moonwatcher

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Chile » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:19 pm

nicoles wrote:Has anyone heard of Go Kaleo? She wrote a couple of posts, with photos, about how many gains she made physically in terms of fitness (strength training, mainly) and the main point is that she was consistent over time, and wasn't too gung ho so she did not burn out. She posts the long-view version of transformation here and here.

I just saw the article about her yesterday but hadn't explored her website enough to find that timeline post. My gosh, the photo near the end showing the back view on the weight machine? That's what I'd like to achieve! My rear and legs do not look anything like that but I've always wanted them to be strong like hers. Sadly, I haven't followed through on what it would take to achieve that. Thank you for posting that chart on your first post of this new journal. I need to print that out as a reminder of what it takes to get results.

I need to start doing wall push-ups again, too.
Chile

Postby nicoles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Hey Chile! Yeah, that's a great booty she's got going there. Enviable! :)

Which article did you see on her? I found out about her maybe six months ago through a friend from SF.

She made this wonderful post on facebook that got something like 20,000 likes, she's so down to earth.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Chile » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:54 pm

There was an article yesterday about her showing a current picture and stating that her BMI puts her in the overweight category. Article
Chile

Postby nicoles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Oh! That article is the post she put on facebook that got all the "likes"! She's a cool cat.

How's de-cluttering going, Chile? I used to have a bunch of useless (to me) crap until we had to move like 1x a year for 5 years (because I got sick and we were broke). Got rid of tons of stuff, never think about it now. It was really helpful. I try to kind of declutter at each season change now, to avoid the creep back into hoarding. I think it's a good idea, kudos for doing it.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Chile » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:44 am

My de-cluttering goes in waves. One day I will be super-enthusiastic and get a lot done. The next, I will not want to do anything. I'm in the mood to work on it today but unfortunately other things are on my plate so I won't have time.

I hear you on moving as a motivator to clean out. We used to move frequently and I always did a big yard sale prior to the move. We've lived in this area for over 10 years now, though, which means we've had a chance to accumulate too much stuff again. Several times we thought we were going to leave so we did get rid of a lot, but surprisingly we still have more than we really need or use. I'm working on it!
Chile

Postby chewy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:21 am

hi nicoles! what is your current list of safe foods ?have a happy Thursday!
chewy

Postby nicoles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:17 pm

chewy wrote:hi nicoles! what is your current list of safe foods ?have a happy Thursday!

Hellooo, Chewy!

I have a long list. More elaborately listed than on Facebook, but off the top of my head so I may miss some foods here:

Starches:

Acorn, butternut, Spaghetti, and pumpkin Squashes (including skin)
Sweet Potatoes, all varieties (including skins)
Turnips, Rutabaga (YUM!!!)
Beets
Black and wild rice (rarely)
Quinoa, red or regular

Beans(usually soaked from dry and slightly sprouted)
Lima Beans
White beans
Split Peas, yellow, or green
Lentils
Pintos
Black beans

Veggies
Asparagus
Broccoli
Broccolini
Cauliflower, white purple, orange or green
Brussels Sprouts
Artichoke - Globe and Jerusalem
Zucchini
Summer Squashes
Celery
Fennel
Sugar snap peas
Snow peas
Radish

Leafy Greens
Kale - Lacinato, Black, Green Curly, etc
Collards
Beet Greens
Dandelion Greens
Chards
Spinach
Mesclun Mix
Radicchio
Cabbage - red or green
Romaine, red or green
Arugula
Iceberg lettuce
Boston Lettuce

Fruit
Apples all kinds I've seen available
Peaches - all kinds
Nectarines - all kinds
Apricots
Plums
Pears, all kinds
Cherries
Blackberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Pomegranate
Avocado

Mushrooms

White Button
Portabella
Crimini
Oyster
Maiitake
Shiitake
Porcini

Alliums
Leeks
Red onion
Yellow, white, brown onion
green onions
Ramps
garlic(occasionally - it makes me emit unpleasantly-odored gases)

Spices/Herbs

Basil
Thyme
Rosemary
Dill
Cilantro
Parsely
Cinnamon
Bay leaves

Seeds

Sunflower
Flax, brown or golden
pumpkin and squash
Sesame

Nuts

Cashews
Almonds

Sea Vegatables
Nori
Wakame
Dulse
Kelp/Kombu
Last edited by nicoles on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

My Journal
nicoles

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi Nicole--You don't eat quinoa? I guess I thought you might, so sorry if in replying on my blog I assumed that you did.

Question about your slightly sprouted legumes. How long to do you soak to get them sprouting? Or do you soak then leave them and rinse them as in making regular sprouts? Kinda curious how you do it. :)

Thanks!

xoxo

moonwatcher

moonwatcher

Postby nicoles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Good catch, Moonwatcher!

Yes, Quinoa, red or regular. I'll go add that. Although, I don't eat it much now. Used to eat it ALL THE TIME. Guess I got sick of it - put it out of my mind :lol:

I usually soak beans for about 15-24 hours, then let 'em sit, damp and covered by a towel, until they sprout. Sometimes just the soaking sprouts them. Must depend on how old they are?

xoxo

Nicole

My Journal
nicoles

Postby chewy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:22 pm

thanks for sharing nicoles!
chewy

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:32 pm

I think I'll try that sometime, Nicole. It's so dry here mine never sprout just from soaking, even for 24 hours, but sometimes they are on the verge. Probably don't take as long to cook either, right?

Thanks,

xoxo

moonwatcher

ps--so far, hard to imagine ME getting sick of quinoa :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm just such a foody-doody :D xo

moonwatcher

Postby lmggallagher » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:22 pm

Wow Nicole - so happy you have got up to doing weight training. I have to read the Kaleo post for motivation too - though it's going to be awhile for me to get there ( I am back to square one after the toes and bad food experience recently) so I need to get swimming and then walking stable before I take on more.

I have somewhere, and I will find it later, a cool report from Harvard Medical on weight training for fibro folk. This might have some ideas for you on how to go slow into it to avoid some fatigue. I find the post exertion thing to be really hard to handle - it kind of is a drain mentally to loose some after gaining some for such a long while. I tend to think I require the extra naps to help build muscle - which is in fact true but I also kind of need those hours awake :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, Doc's used to tell us fibro folk to avoid WT like crazy. However, I actually think that it was one of the things that kept me stable in past. I am still pursuing the yoga for strength and need some equipment and more space here to do that at home. I would kind of like not to have to travel to they gym and pay them for the privilege, if I can get the same results here with a few props. I am mostly in it for avoiding osteoporosis and gaining flexibility at the same time. So it's a good match for me instead of weights.

I loved your chart - oh so true and the fruits are gorgeous - but these days I find so many are not my friends. I still thank my lucky stars you turned me on to FODMAPS otherwise I'd be having such a bad summer again. I think last year all the water melon, peaches and apricots did me in - not this year thanks to you :-D :-D

((((Hugs))))) - Michelle
lmggallagher

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals