Journal of my journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Journal of my journey

Postby Morris » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Jan 15, 2021
weight - haven't got a clue

The puppy is very possessive of me, I guess I am her human. She does not like it when the other pets get attention from me and she turns into a bully. I got some serious training with her. Other than that she is a sweet dog and very obedient. I let her run off leash quite a bit because she is a scaredy cat and runs to the door with she hears something she is unfamiliar with hearing. It was difficult getting her outside for potty the night an owl was hooting.

My morning routine is shot - I have no morning routine now. It is basically just trying to keep her and the senior dog calm. I get stressed with the both of them.

I made a mac and "cheese dish the other day from the Steph and Adam couple -- I do not know it the recipe is on their website, but it is in their book plant based meal prep. It uses sweet potato and onion -- oh, it was so good.

I ate quite a bit of rice and beans - rice was my main starch for this past week (with the exception of the macaroni).

I did get a bit of my woods therapy without the puppy a couple of time. She either runs away of me or stops suddenly and lays in the snow. No matter which, I get jerked around quite a bit. I need to start training her so I can take her with me. She is appearing to be a homebody type dog and likes to stay close to home. I do not know how she will do for camping. I got plenty of time to work with her.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:17 am

Jan 26, 2021
Weight - did not weigh, my mornings are so hectic I forget to step on scale. Going by my jeans though, I better smarten up and get with the plan.

This is a quick check in. I think the dark nights are affecting my mood. I feel a bit depressed. Hubby does not help as he is pessimistic and negative about anything and everything. Too be honest he is getting on my nerves.

His biggest is how he isn't able to sleep at night. I don't know what kind of response he expects from me because I don't remember when I slept through the night. He is on his computer until the wee hours of the morning, then expects sympathy because he cannot get to sleep. He knows about the blue light and stimulation from the computer screen because when our grandson (GS2) is here, he tells him to stay off the tablet an hour before bedtime. He is one of those do as I say not as I do kind of people. ~sigh~ I just say, "Welcome to the club."

My eating has not been compliant with McDougall - hence no log ins as of late. But I am working on adding more vegetables to my meals. Hubby keeps buying theses biscottis from Costco and I am addicted to those things. It is so hard for me to keep my hands out of the jar.

I have been making some rice dishes - I found 5 pound bag of rice at Aldi's for 0.62 cents. So, I bought some. A while back I found a Creamless Creamy tomato soup recipe from America's Test Kitchen. I tweaked two different recipes from them. The Cream came from Golden Potatoes - it was so good and creamy. Hubby actually thought I used coconut milk for the cream. I picked up a #10 can of tomatoes and plan to try to convert that recipe to a Tikka Masala (change up the spices) and/or make a tomato rice and vegetable soup. Not sure when I will do that because that will require some batch cooking once I open up that can of tomatoes.

Last night for supper for GS2 and I was Ramen noodles with added sauteed onion and mixed vegetables. I do not think the Ramen is compatible with TSS, but I added more mixed vegetables than the noodles. I am looking at it as a start to getting back on track again.

I also made a batch of mashed potatoes with gravy and had vegetables included in the meal. It was actually a nice looking plate: mashed potatoes, corn, broccoli and a spinach and lettuce salad on the side.

The bad was I found a recipe that I used to make when our daughters were younger, it was one of those WIC recipes - those familiar with the WIC program knows how SAD it would be

Yesterday, I made a Koozy for my thermos and so to test it out, I made some hot cocoa and went for a hike in the woods. It was cold out there, only 10°F. it took me about 90 minutes to walk the loop that I do (3 miles), it is a hilly loop and I went the uphill way. Then I stopped at the shelter I made at the top of our sliding hill and enjoyed my still warm cocoa. And that grouse visited me. I ignored it while keeping a watchful eye on it and eventually it went away. One of the grouse actually started pecking at me when I was in the shelter so I keep an eye of the birds when they come close, just in case I need to defend myself. I read that they are shy birds, but I think someone forgot to inform those on my property that.

Oh, GS2 and I had fun sliding down the hill on one of the days he was here. This is my motivation to get back on the plan -- I really enjoying being able to be physical with the grandchildren.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby SilverDollar* » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:39 pm

Hi Nancy, Missed you. Glad you are back. Our fur babies are a lot of work
especially when they are young. Oh but it is worth it.RAS
SilverDollar*

Postby SilverDollar* » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:35 pm

Miss You! Get back here! Hope you & family are ok. RAS
SilverDollar*

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:54 am

I think you can eat Ramen if it isn't the instant noodle variety you buy in regular grocery stores. Those have like 18g of fat. But I buy ramen at a nearby Asian market, that is nothing but wheat flour, water, and salt. Zero fat. I think that's like pasta, right? It isn't whole grain though.... ?

Loved that "hike the loop" story! sounds lovely, pausing on a winter day and sipping warm cocoa.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Morris » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:09 pm

Feb 19, 2021

Just checking in - sorry to report that I fell off the wagon and it rolled away out of sight for a bit. I have been eating almost close to SAD - I am not going to beat myself up about it though. I am looking down the road and I can see the back end of the wagon -- hopefully, I will be quick enough to catch it and hop back on.

I am back to eating my tri-grain flakes, riced cauliflower, blueberries, with flax seed in the mornings.

What I have been eating to get back on track:
1 batch of Yellow split pea Dal, served with rice - recipe from Spruce Eats. I love that recipe.
boiled some potatoes and had with Brussels Sprouts
Used left over potatoes and broth they were cooked in and made a pot of bean soup - onion, carrot, celery, potato and bean
Salads - I am trying to add salads to my meals to get those veggies in.

I won't mention the junk I have been eating. Hoping to get back on track 100% soon. I am trying to get family members to put $5.00 in and do a biggest loser challenge - the consensus is it's only $5.00 so no big deal. UGH! Cannot afford more. I was hoping a $$ challenge would put a fire under my feet. But I really need to focus on health as the prize.

Hopefully, I get back on track again - my weight is back to where I started when I started this journey, so I am back to square 1.

My exercise is sporadic - and not very much. Although with this cold snap we had, I had to split some wood manually - our wood splitter is out of commission. So, I got a good work out for 2 days doing that.

I tried to take my puppy (she is 60 pounds now) for a walk down the road. I wanted to go on a trail in the woods, but there was a branch that had fallen on the road and it spooked her - she refused to go further and turned and ran for home. I don't think she will be much protection when we go camping. :-)
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:30 am

March 4, 2021
Weight 143.0 -> this is a positive because I am down 2.6 pounds from the other day. I was dehydrated and made it a point to drink more water. Seem weird, if you get dehydrated, you gain weight.

I think I reached the bottom and it is time to pull myself back up and climb out to the hole. Emotionally, I have been through the wringer - again. I need to stop focus on other's opinions, actions and words. It seems everyone is out for themselves --I think I need to join them and start focusing on me and what is best for me.

Hubby has been having a lot of doctor appointments - that means I am stuck in the car with him for that 50 minute drive there and again 50 minute back. It wouldn't be so bad if we could actually have a conversation - you know, where two people have a discussion of the same topic and compliment what the other says. I don't think I ever met anyone who can talk so much about himself and have such a disregard for those listening. It is so frustrating and annoying. And besides, he can only relive his past so I have already heard these stories. I have gotten to where I play a game and see how far we get before he stops the monologue.

A couple days ago, I was at my highest weight that I have been in years. I think I even passed my starting weight for this journal. I barely go my jeans snapped and zipped. I was so uncomfortable until the material stretched out. I refuse to purchase a larger size. So, time to get serious and pay attention to what I am eating again.

It is too easy to make excuses, but difficult to come up with a plan and stick with it. For my focus this week, I am starting to exercise again. I am on Day 2 of the Level 1 of the 30 Day Shred. It is an old Jillian Micheals video -- I cannot stand her personality, but I love the 3-2-1 method she employs. 3 minutes strength, 2 minute cardio and 1 minute ab. She breaks each session into smaller time so there is a lot of switching up what the exercises are. In other words, she switches the exercise before I have time to think I am bored with it or that it is getting too hard. I think it effectively shuts up that voice inside my head that is telling me to quit.

After my session yesterday, I noticed I was not so stiff and just getting off my butt and moving took away a lot of the stiffness I have been experiencing these past few months.Reducing that is one of the reasons I started this journey in the first place. I am thinking a lot of the aches may have been from not drinking enough water.

I am back to eating my oatmeal, riced cauliflower, blueberries in the morning --
I made a batch of lentils and added tomatoes and green beans to it. Split pea soup. Mashed potatoes, corn, broccoli.

Yea, I am slowly getting back on track.

My puppy is still a scaredy cat and get nervous outside at night with different sounds. Some camping/hiking partner she will be. The other night, she started growling at something or some noise she heard. I turned on the light and as quick as the light went on, she was under the bed.

Day 2 of starting to get back on track - hopefully, I can keep going forward.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:00 pm

March 16, 2021
Weight - 142.8 no idea how that compares to my last post. But it is down a couple of pounds from the beginning of the month.

I have never been so frustrated with myself and my lack of motivation to get with the plan. I do well for a day, maybe two then find myself eating off plan -- way off plan.

I started the Beck Diet Solution again and have my little note cards where I see them every day. I have the 10 point check list of the Maximum Weight Loss programs on the top of the pile and read them daily. I tell myself I can do this until I see the eliminate flour products. I have been eating bread when I am too lazy to make a meal. I am slowly getting my mindset for starting.

I have been trying to motivate myself to exercise again -- that saying the first step is the hardest is so true. I have such a hard time getting started, but once I am warmed up a bit, I enjoy it. But it takes quite a bit to warm up - I think it is because of my age.

Our puppy is now 63 pounds and stubborn -- She sprained my hand when she took off after a critter and I attempted to hold her back. I had to let go. The swelling is finally going away, but my hand still hurts something fierce. I am taking aspirin a couple times a day. Something I try to avoid.

Well, I am just checking in, wishing I could be reporting success, but I cannot. Soon, I hope to get with the plan. It was suggested to hubby that he follow Dr. Greger's How Not to Die -- but it is not his idea yet. Waiting for him to have the idea himself - at least them we'd be more compatible with our eating plant based foods then.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Principality » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:03 pm

The motivation has been nil for me too. I have to admit the sunshine has helped a bit but whenever I think of getting up and out, I just feel exhausted. I suppose we just keep dragging on until the ole energy kicks in. If it kicks in...oh please let it kick in! I hope the hand feels better soon.
Starting weight : 240lbs, current 235.9 change -4.1
Principality

Postby Morris » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 pm

April 14, 2021

Weight - don't have a clue

Just posting to keep my journal up there so when, I get started again I should be able to find it.

I cannot seem to stick with a plan for more than a half a day. I cannot believe I cannot snap out of this slump.

On the positive, I joined the running class so I at least get out once a week and see some other people. Because of me having to deal with my parents once in a while, I have been trying to self isolate as much as I can so I do not become sick and then become unable to help them. That means I am stuck with hubby for most of my company. To be polite, I might as well be invisible - everything is always about him and his interests. When we go out shopping, he ignores me and talks to anyone who will listen to what he has to say. And of course, what he has to say is so important because he is the expert on everything.

In the car, half hour one way, he talks on his phone. To make matters worse, he'll turn down the radio so I have to listen to a one-sided conversation. GAWD! I cannot wait until I get my puppy trained and then I can take off into the woods with her. The woods, I call it"woods therapy". When I get overwhelmed, I go out into the woods -- but now I think the bears are out -- food sources are not there so I will have to use caution, but I will still venture out there. My puppy is still a scared of every noise she hears. So, I am not sure what kind of protection I will have from her other than her size. She is slowly learning to walk alongside me at my pace, which is good because she is close to 70 pounds now, 7 months old (German Shepherd/Lab mix).

My diet sucks right now - I am so far off plan. I need to pull out my book (The Starch Solution) again. I am in the "I'll start tomorrow phase, but tomorrow never comes. Hopefully, I will get back with the plan soon.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:16 pm

April 23, 2021
Weight -- stuck in that plateau zone, cannot seem to get it to budge.

Food - slowly getting back with the program and am finally incorporating fruits and vegetables into my meals.

Tonight I enjoyed mashed potatoes and gravy, tomato slices on the side with a salad topped with apple, orange, and celery.

Joined a running class so at least once a week, I get out there and do my "homework", I do 2 "lessons" back to back so I spend about 1 hour out side running. I want to do more days, but less time; however, I seem to lack the time and/or motivation.

I cannot wait until I am back 100% again. Qutoe: "Action first, then motivation" -- I need to keep telling myself that.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Morris » Mon May 10, 2021 3:53 pm

May 10, 2021
Still struggling to get with the program again. I seem to have a mental block and cannot bust through. Hubby got his blood work back and he has some issues that the Mcdougall program may help him benefit. I suggested we could do it together. Nope. He's not having it, first words were "I am not ready to go vegetarian" . Drats! I was hoping if we both were on board it will be so much easier, especially for me because then there wouldn't be all this junk food in the house. I finally got him to hide one item that I couldn't keep my hands off. Funny, how out of sight and out of mind. I haven't even been thinking of eating those things when I cannot see them.

Hopefully, I will get back with the Starch Solution soon - I am slowly getting there.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Kokohead » Sat May 15, 2021 10:37 pm

Hi Morris,

I have never made an entry to someones journal before. But I have pretty much read all your entries from page one to present. I want to say thank you for all you have written about. I can relate to you so much. I also have a husband that is not interested in eating the way I do and I have two grown daughters who dont like each other just like yours. The struggles are real.

What I really liked about your journal is how you shared not only your struggles but also your victories. I watched youtube videos you recommended. I ordered the Plant Pure Nation cookbook just so I could make the Clam Chowder you raved about. LOL! I just really enjoyed reading about recipes you tried and liked or didn't like. Anyway...just wanted to say Thank you for sharing your journey and I look forward to reading even more of your journal. :-D
Kokohead

Postby Morris » Fri May 21, 2021 11:16 am

May 21, 2021
weight - not sure I want to know
nonscale victory -- I am slowly getting rid of those aches and pains caused from bad eating and no exercise. I discovered that when my puppy went after that grouse and my hand was wrapped around the leash, which injured it and has left me with trigger finger on my right hand. Now that I figured out what it is, I hope I can rest it properly and get the problem fixed. However, not sure if that is really the issue, spoke to my oldest sister and she said that she has a "disease that causes finger deformity (just like our dad, whose hands are "clawlike") This is giving me serious cause to get motivated once again -

tried this recipe:
https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/soups/ ... -apricots/
served it over brown rice and had a HUGE salad with it (Spinach, lettuces, red and green cabbages, carrot, onion, sweet peppers, tomatoes)

I am going to admit that finally getting more vegetables into my meal plan is also giving me a better attitude. So, it is a win-win.

On week 8 of the running class. I use a different app for my "homework" and my last run was a 20 minute run vs the class run of 2 minutes run/30 sec walk 10. My interval timer did not play over my music so I ended up doing the longer run. Only had to stop a couple of times. One time was to take a picture of the watering hole that has almost completely dried up - never seen it dry the 15 years I have been living here. I think we are in the dry cycle - or go with the conspiracy theory and say that they are manipulating the weather so we get no rain - HA! you decide.

I am hoping for a long term attitude adjustment and that I get back on track -- I am tired of feeling miserable.

Oh, on the positive -- Visited my mom (in assisted living apartment) and dad (in nursing home) the buildings are attached and they allowed me to bring my dad to my mom's apartment -- second time they were able to get together since this so-called pandemic started. So glad they allowed the visit
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:59 pm

It's really good news, about being able to visit again. That's the worst thing about the pandemic: having to stay away from our loved ones. Rough.

Also LOVE IT that you're feeling it again for your running. In 2020 it seems depression was the norm for everyone. It does feel good to get back in the groove. I'm going to be making that Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Stew. Looks SO yummy!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals