Precipitous Change

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Precipitous Change

Postby Principality » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:40 pm

A variation of Jeff’s Longevity Soup is simmering away on the stove. Talk about a huge pot of hope.
Starting weight : 240lbs, current 235.9 change -4.1
Principality

Postby Principality » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:49 am

Another sunny day! The feathered and furred crew is fed and now it is MY Turn!!! Veggie and bean soup over rice...BigBowl. I really do see that if you are not looking forward to your food you just aren’t hungry enough. Even the bunnies are sniffing the air with interest and I’m like, “get your own, this is mine.” I will be arming myself with spuds tonight when I work. I am surrounded by junk food and I cannot afford to get the least bit hungry or I will give in and there are No good choices. Some delicious popcorn was around last night and I succumbed to it and now am swollen thanks to the salt. I gotta find a way to avoid the late night junk fest happening right next to me with the spouse. Lots of useful stuff to read over in the mwl weigh in thread so off I go.
Principality

Postby Principality » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:24 am

Eeek, lost my reply somehow and no time to rewrite it all. Suffice to say oatmeal, raspberry all fruit jam, bran buds, tea
Principality

Postby Spiral » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Principality wrote:I really do see that if you are not looking forward to your food you just aren’t hungry enough. Even the bunnies are sniffing the air with interest and I’m like, “get your own, this is mine.”

That is hilarious. :D
Spiral

Postby Principality » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:18 pm

Spiral wrote:
Principality wrote:I really do see that if you are not looking forward to your food you just aren’t hungry enough. Even the bunnies are sniffing the air with interest and I’m like, “get your own, this is mine.”

That is hilarious. :D

It’s true though,lol. They are teaching me. Some people rescue dogs to encourage themselves to walk more. I selfishly rescued two flemish giants rabbits from being sold for meat so they can teach me how to eat. If I have to fight for it, I know I am on the right track. I have to buy them salad snacks so I mine as well be chewing in that romaine leaf too. And honestly, The chickens, cats, and ducks haven’t been quite so helpful in the same way. The chickens are awfully judgemental. Where as the rabbits have a zen. They just quietly sit there and chew.
Principality

Postby Principality » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:21 am

Just pasting from Mwl weigh in for todays entry.
Weight change - 1 in lbs:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. 0% my meals are not courses per se. It is an all in one bowl kind of deal.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. 80%
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. 0% I was using up some things leftover, like that chocolate bar.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). 50% this was just waiting for groceries.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). 100%
6. Eliminate any added oil. 100% easy peasy
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Complete fail this week, looking forward to next week without the snacks.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). 50% using up cranberry juice
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.30% I eat to stay awake after work till 2am since that is what the spouse is doing.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).10% trying to find something that doesn’t further aggravate the joints. Right now everything knee, hip is painful. The bike caused swelling on top of the knees, so I am going to try the rebounder next.

Victories, comments, concerns, it’s all going to be fine. The sun is shining, the fridge, freezer, and cupboards are stocked with compliant items. I feel like this week coming up is going to be much more successful, therefore it will be. The past week I was just getting my footing. Things to work on, reading and crocheting standing up. These are my main sedentary activities. This winter movement has been painful. I gained weight because I couldn’t move and then it was even harder to move because I gained weight. I ordered a pedometer to help progress slowly. That is my big plan for now. See, it really is all going to be just fine.

Exercise 10 min bike, thigh master 2 sets of 100, 3 lb arm weight exercises, and I still think I can manage some time on the rebounder.
Update: skipped the rebounder and did jump rope! Oh my god is that ever a lot of fun...if you disregard the jiggle...and take into consideration that it might be the lack of oxygen to my brain causing the euphoria. Still, it gets the heart rate up super quick. Not a traditional rope, though I own a speed rope. This is one of those counting ones with the weighted ball in the end. Thus you get the rhythm and feel without getting tripped up. That way I can get to 100. :D

On an unrelated note, the couch and I are avoiding one another. We simply want different things..and I know I cannot fall asleep in the computer chair. In just need to keep my distance from it till summer kicks in, thenit will be no problem as it retains a lot of your body heat and is too warm then. It’s not you couch, it’s me. Maybe I will do what people do to unwanted exercise equip and start stacking things on it that aren’t me, hmmmm.
Principality

Postby Principality » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Woohoo! It is 3pm and that means all animals are taken care of and I get breakfast. So, mornings are always easy with quaker super grains oatmeal, berries, water, 1/8 cup all bran for the crunch, and a tablespoon all fruit jam for some sweetness. Heaven! Absolute heaven. I work tonight so that is where and when things have potential to get hairy. So, food, then packing lots to take with me.
Principality

Postby Principality » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:55 am

Breakfast

Oatmeal 1/2 cup uncooked
Berries 1/2 cup frozen
All bran buds 1/4 cup
All fruit jam

Lunch
Vega complete shake with banana and oatmilk

Dinner
Potatoes four small to medium

I feel really good about today. My coffee still needs quit as I cannot drink it without cream. My spouse makes it for me and brings it to work and by then I am desperate and poison sounds just fine. At least today was vegan, I fail that most times. I do not know the MWL opinioon on vega complete shake mix but it is ever so convenient and I have a lot to finish up if I have to not use it.
Principality

Postby landog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:50 am

Principality wrote:Lunch
Vega complete shake with banana and oatmilk

I do not know the MWL opinioon on vega complete shake mix but it is ever so convenient and I have a lot to finish up if I have to not use it.

If you are doing MWL, why would you have "vega complete shake mix?" To "finish up" just toss it in the garbage!
landog

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:00 am

Principality wrote: I do not know the MWL opinioon on vega complete shake mix but it is ever so convenient and I have a lot to finish up if I have to not use it.

Not recommended on any version of the McDougall program (Regular, MWL or Mini).

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Principality » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:16 pm

Well shoot, I figured it wouldn’t fly after the writings about not drinking calories and meal replacements I was perusing last night. (Chews Brussel sprout thoughtfully) I suppose it will have to go out with the trash tomorrow. Thanks for the quick answer! Next two days off are no stress , no run around ones so no excuses not to cook up my compliant foods so when Wed comes around the most convenient thing will be leftovers.

Breakfast
Oatmeal
Berries
Fiber 1 for crunch
Jam

Lunch
Potatoes
Brussel sprouts

Dinner
Veggie, potato, bean soup
Principality

Postby Principality » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:49 pm

landog wrote:
If you are doing MWL, why would you have "vega complete shake mix?" To "finish up" just toss it in the garbage!

Hi Landog,

To answer your question, i have been attempting to do MWL from SAD a little over a week. I don’t know what perfection and supreme knowledge base is involved in “doing MWL”. However, being ever so slightly human, I would be in possession of non compliant foods until I discovered through reading online that shows otherwise. The checklist doesn’t go into depth on meal replacements. So, that is why I would have Vega from previous purchases in my house. If I knew it was not compliant, I would not have used it and then stated that at that specific moment I was unsure as to its compliancy. As always the help is appreciated, the snarkiness is not.
Principality

Postby Principality » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:36 am

Today is full of promise. I put the rice cooker on before going to care for the animals. I was up early enough (I usually get to bed by 3am= night worker) to have coffee ( finally have some oatmilk to either bring this into compliance or give it up) with the chickens. This is always so peaceful. I get the sun on my face, and a chicken or two in my lap. It all makes me very happy. When I finally dragged myself away to come and do the rabbits and cats, the rice was done and smelled amazing. The sweet potatoes are in the crockpot and all the meals are covered for the day. It is always a relief when that happens.

Had a chat with the spouse about the possibility of grilling. This is normally a meat affair but we settled upon kebabs so we both get the items we want. I plan to get a one mile walk aerobics video in and then lots of crochet and relaxation.

Breakfast
Oatmeal 1 cup
Berries 1/2 cup
All bran 1/8 cup
Jam 1 tbsp

Lunch
Brussel sprouts
Sweet potato

Dinner
Vegetable bean soup over rice
Principality

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:43 am

Principality wrote:i have been attempting to do MWL from SAD a little over a week. ........... The checklist doesn’t go into depth on meal replacements

Congratulations on your efforts.

The best way to accomplish what you want is to join and participate in the MWL weekly weigh-in group.

Under the heading of education and just so you know, All Bran & Fiber 1 are not MWL. Now, if you were part of the group thread, you would get ideas on substitutions from fellow travelers and a few long term successful facilitators, who are very compassionate.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Principality » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:55 pm

JeffN wrote:
Principality wrote:i have been attempting to do MWL from SAD a little over a week. ........... The checklist doesn’t go into depth on meal replacements

Congratulations on your efforts.

The best way to accomplish what you want is to join and participate in the MWL weekly weigh-in group.

Under the heading of education and just so you know, All Bran & Fiber 1 are not MWL. Now, if you were part of the group thread, you would get ideas on substitutions from fellow travelers and a few long term successful facilitators, who are very compassionate.

In Health
Jeff

Noooo! I mean Yesss! *hugs bran buds box, wipes away tear, and pushes them away. “It’s been real bran buds, you were sweet. You added to my breakfast...crunch mostly. I hate to see you go, but go you must. Think of me fondly as I try to push you off upon the spouse.”

I did join the MWL group last week. I have been slowly making my way through all the resources. I have begun and quit varying shades of this program so many times that what is allowed in which is jumbled. I own all the books, cookbooks, etc even your dvds. I just have to revisit it all to get the finer points straight again. Thanks for the heads up and the suggestion.
Principality

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals