Maybe a baby in 2017

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maybe a baby in 2017

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:14 am

Thanks for the tip, Ejeff. I've done freshly grated ginger and honey before, but was trying to stay away from added sweetners (even though the candied ginger is, well, candied!). The tea I bought has worked wonders. The brand is Traditional Medicinals and is widely available - I bought it at Target, and Whole Foods carries it as well. It was $4.99 for 16 bags, but I've been able to only use on or two bags a day, and use each bag twice. I've gagged on water the past two mornings, but after that it's been smooth sailing.

Yesterday I weighed myself because I have gotten so big so quickly. I guessed that I had gained somewhere in the ballpark of 5-8 lbs, but imagine my surprise when I get on the scale and I haven't gained an ounce! I guess that mild nausea and (mostly) plant based eating has kept things in a good spot, but man I am HUGE (considering I am only 10 weeks tomorrow).

The pitch in yesterday was great. It was nice to have everyone over, and was a good excuse to get my husband involved in a little extra cleaning. It was one of the first times food tasted really good, so I stuffed myself. Cabbage rolls, pasta salad, bean salad, sweet potato pizza, homemade crusty bread, so many delicious choices! There is a local vegan Thanksgiving event next weekend that I'm thinking about attending, because quite a few of people I know will be going, and it might be fun. And our next pitch in is in December, and I'm so excited about it!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Currently 10 weeks, size of a kumquat, a little over 1 inch long. Officially a fetus, no longer just an embryo.

I had my first midwife appointment today, and was so relieved to hear the heartbeat. Itt's just nice to get that confirmation.

I've been feeling a bit better as far as the nausea goes, but then I'm starting to have pregnancy-induced insomnia. She suggested I need to eat more. I've been struggling with making good food choices, because I can only eat 2-3 cups at a time, and the starchier foods just feel heavy (but for some reason not junk food, of course). I might reach out to Jeff because I feel better when I eat better, but I'm trying to also balance the nausea and desperately need a good stretch of sleep (I'm waking up every 45 minutes, and one time last night couldn't fall asleep for another 1.5 hours). Homeschooling is not turning on PBS for the kids while you try to catch a quick nap on the couch, you know?
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Second post today, but I am feeling tired of being left out.

Every year for Thanksgiving we go to my dad's for lunch, then drive to my sister-in-law's for dinner. Today she texted that she would be providing a Paleo meal (except desserts), but that everyone else can bring whatever they like. I felt so alone. Everyone in their family either follows that diet, or is a SAD eater so they'll eat whatever without a second thought. While some side dishes might be vegan, they will probably be slathered in coconut oil.

Fortunately, I got this text while visiting with my midwife, and she said that it was doctor's orders that I can't eat any of it. With the exception of the coconut cream pie. I added the exception.

But then when I had a moment to think about it, I usually stuff myself at my dad's house, then only eat dessert at my SIL's. So really, it's going to be ok. I can bring a potato in case I need to nuke one. I volunteered to bring the cranberry sauce and a veggie tray. (One year she made a maple cranberry sauce, but didn't have any maple syrup, so just used sugar-free pancake syrup instead. It was inedible.)

But still, I am so grateful for my monthly pitch ins, when there is an abundance of delicious food, and it's all compliant.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:34 am

This past Wednesday marked 11 weeks pregnant, fetus is 1.5 inches long, roughly the size of a fig.

Thursday was Thanksgiving, and it turned out just fine. I decided to eat lunch at my dad's, and dessert at my SIL's. Nothing I ate was compliant, but everything was vegetarian, so it was definitely a feast day for me.

This four day weekend usually is a bunch of celebrations, because my sister's birthday is the 26th, and she flies in for the weekend, so we end up having lots of family gatherings and big meals together. For instance, last night there was an impromptu gathering at my place for dinner where both my parents, siblings and significant others gathered, and brought pizza and birthday cake. Today is a day off, but tomorrow is breakfast at my dad's (my sister requested cheese blintz's), and the annual Benihana birthday dinner.

But let me get to what is the bigger issue: for some reason, since the nausea started, I can only eat about half of the volume of food that I could before. This wouldn't really be an issue, except that nausea is also triggered by not eating enough, so it becomes a vicious cycle. For example, I can eat about 1/2 lb of hash brown potatoes for breakfast, whereas I used to eat a solid pound. Food just feels really heavy in my stomach. The nausea has been decreasing the past few days (yay!), but my ability to eat more hasn't changed. My usual starches, such as beans and rice, just feel too heavy. Of course, treats are always easy to eat, so there is the problem. I can get sufficient calories, but haven't figured out how to do so in a healthy way. If it was warmer out, I'd just chug smoothies, but when it's 25 degrees F in the morning, frozen beverages are not appealing. If anyone has ideas, I'm totally open to it!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 pm

So exciting! Baby size of a fig! I can't help you too much as my last pregnancy was 40 years ago! lol. but maybe eat
small frequent pick-me-ups here & there. Like maybe a small nuked potato,then a couple hours later maybe a small salad
or cup of corn..something you like.(healthy comfort food) air popped popcorn. Hope this helps...your body knows best,&
you really don't need a lot of extra calories to maintain a healthy pregnancy..Just my 2 cents....RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:14 am

Thanks for chiming in, Ras! Fortunately, I'm starting to be able to eat "normal" sized portions, so things seem to be moving in the right direction. First step is making all my own food again, and get this salt consumption under control. Hopefully a couple days of healthy eating will get this ship really propelled forward.

While it was great to see family, it was too much rich food. Last year was my first holiday season eating healthier, and I brought my own compliant dishes to everything, and immediately just dove head first into all sorts of CRAP. I probably ate a pound of fudge on my own, no joke, but then was hit with a terrible case of McDougall's Revenge. This year my strategy has been to take a dish, but not consider these other items to be "off limits," because then I eat them in a reasonable amount and not over do it to the point of getting sick. So far the feast day strategy is working for me, and hasn't caused me to slide off the rails for three months straight. Junk food just doesn't taste as good as healthy eating feels.

Tomorrow is 12 weeks pregnant, fetus is roughly 2 inches long, about the size of a lime. Man, they grow quickly! This week reflexes start, and I'm guessing I'll start feeling little kicks in the next couple weeks. This is when things get fun!

I made the famous Autumn Roast for Thanksgiving. I used parsnips, turnips, orange sweet potato, Japanese sweet potato, Yukon golds and red potatoes. It's an easy, quick dish that is great for reheating. I'll make it again later this week and try it in the instant pot. Going to pick up celery root and rutabaga to add to it.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:57 pm

I had a normal day of eating!!!! YAY!

Hash browns for breakfast, meusli for a mid-morning snack, veggie stir fry for lunch, clementines for afternoon snack, and oven fries for dinner. (I did also have 3 snack-sized York peppermint patties. Not compliant)

I feel so good. My portion sizes were appropriate, and the food was nutritious. I didn't feel nauseous at all today. I look forward to tomorrow.

Also, drinking sparkling water with a squirt of lime. It's so delicious. Yum yum yum.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:18 am

My midwife is super "into nutrition," so she's having me fill out a seven day food journal. I've had too many treats so far this pregnancy, so I'm using this accountability as motivation to make better choices. I'm a little worried about what she'll think, because while she's great at delivering babies, she doesn't have the nutrition background. I'll probably write down her recommendations, then if I have any questions, reach out to Jeff for a phone consult.

She just has me fill out a written journal, but I'm also putting it in Cronometer so I can get a better view of what my dietary consumption patterns are. I looked up protein requirements for pregnancy, and the Estimated Average Requirement is .88 g per kg, and the RDA is 1.1 g per kg. As of today, I am 52.6 kg, so I updated my protein range in Cronometer to 46-57 g per day, which also happens to be roughly what the 80/10/10 settings are (which is 46-49 g).

My sister just got engaged this weekend. She met her fiancé in a Lyft ride share, and her fiancé contacted Lyft about the proposal, and the company flew them out to San Francisco for a spa weekend. It's so incredible. I am so happy for the two of them. Their romance has been a fairy tale story from the beginning. I hope the magic keeps going for them!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:44 am

Yesterday marks 13 weeks. Fetus is roughly 3 inches long.

I've been logging my food in Cronometer for the past 4 days, and it's comforting to see the results. My salt intake is high, and iron and protein are low. I've been eating dates and added a serving of nuts to the day as a way to increase my calories. Macro averages are 82% carb, 11% fat and 7% protein. I'm have the calories set at maintaining weight, with the knowledge that of course I'll probably go over, but so far I'm right about even. I've had total compliance the past 3 days, and feel pretty good. Junk food tastes good, of course, but healthy food feels good.

Interestingly, my tinnitus is increasing, and it started a couple days ago. Coincidence? I'm not sure. I'll have to bring it up to my midwife. It's loud enough that I can hear it even with noisy children around, but not to the point that it is interfering with my hearing or keeping me awake. I searched a couple areas of the forum, and there doesn't seem to be any link between diet and tinnitus. I do notice it more after meals, then it fades away slightly until I eat again. It doesn't seem to be connected to one specific thing. My first thought was salt, or fat, but nope. Just random.

Off to the chiropractor today, and midwife appointment next week. Hopefully I'll start to feel the kicking soon. My girls keep kissing my belly. They are so excited. Only 188-ish days to go! (I just read that there is an equal chance of delivering on any of the days two weeks before or after the due date, so the whole month of June is pretty much fair game.)
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 am

Mad, I totally blew it yesterday. I went to lunch at Panera, and was all set to order the black bean soup, and they didn't have it! That totally threw off my game plan, and I fumbled. Ended up with the autumn squash soup (delicious, but rich), and the veg med sandwich (cheese, etc), then ate a ridiculous amount of Hershey kisses. Because I am trying to faithfully log everything in Cronometer, I left the little foil wrappers all lined up so I could count the massacre when it was over so I could log accurately.

On the bright side, when averaged with the past week, it's not too terrible. Since I'm not trying to lose weight, just hit nutrient targets, being a little up on my daily average isn't worrying me. And, I'm still low in protein and iron, and high in salt.

I'm interested to see what my midwife says next week, and then I'll probably book an appointment with Jeff to figure out a strategy. I probably just need to add a cup of beans. I guess I should just do that and see if it looks better. My bean consumption has been spotty.

Now that I'm writing this, I guess I'll make a batch of Italian bean soup today. That should be perfect, since it's a chilly 14 degrees F this morning - brrrr!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:39 am

I haven't posted a recipe in a while, so here is the Italian bean soup I made last Friday.

ITALIAN BEAN SOUP
1 lb dried pinto beans*
1 onion, diced
1 celery rib, diced
2 carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, divided
Veg broth or water (2-4 cups?)
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf

1. Cook beans, set aside.
2. Sauté onion, celery and carrot until soft. Add in garlic and sauté for 1 min.
3. Now the fun part: take the tomatoes out the can, break them up with your hands, and add to the pan. Reserve the tomato juice from the can. Sauté the tomatoes until dry.
4. Add in remaining ingredients, including reserved tomato juice (adding water/broth to desired thickness), bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 min.
5. Transfer some to a blender and purée (3-4 cups). Add back into soup and enjoy.

*Pinto beans are the best for this soup. I've made it with cannellini beans, but it's not as tasty.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby SilverDollar123 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks I will give this soup a try.How is that baby doing? It is getting cold here too.Where are you from,if you want to
share.? RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi Ras! I'm in Indianapolis, IN. It's been in the 30-ish degrees range this past week, and for some reason I'm sooooo cold all the time. I asked for slippers for Christmas, and my husband accidentally sent me the confirmation email, so I'm pretty pumped for warm toes in a couple weeks. (I also ordered myself a globe for the girls to wrap, and will take them to Ikea next week so they can get me the spice rack I want.)

I am 14 weeks pregnant as of yesterday, officially in the second trimester. Fetus is 3.5 inches long. I had my midwife appointment, and I got to tell you, home birth midwives are AMAZING. My appointments last an hour, and she is so thorough. This past Tuesday I had an appointment, and she had a student. I always have to pee on a test strip, and then she'll go through the whole thing and talk about what that is off (I need to drink more water, because my specific gravity and pH were way off, and I had a little protein, but that didn't concern her). She also was showing the student how to feel for the baby, and then showed me. It was incredible! I haven't felt the baby kick yet, so it was really neat to feel it in there. (At the last appointment, she taught me how to take blood pressure. Now I know what the numbers mean!)

I made the lentils to make the Vegan 8 BBQ lentil loaf. The BBQ sauce recipe included in the recipe is gross, but the rest of the recipe is solid, so I just use store bought sauce. We'll probably have lentil loaf with green beans and mashed potatoes tomorrow night.

Today we had a huge grocery run to our international grocery store, and it had EVERYTHING on our list. Last month we went to a vegan Thanksgiving pitch-in, and someone brought vegan deviled eggs. My 5 year old requested them last week, and I googled the recipe and came across an amazingly simple recipe (on the Lagusta Luscious blog) that just required two unique ingredients that were surprisingly cheap. I ordered silicon egg molds on Amazon, and we're going to whip up a batch and see what happens. Fingers crossed they work out, because I'm going to take them to Christmas with the fam and also my next WFPB pitch in. I also came across mushroom powder, which I hear is amazing to had that umami flavor to foods.

We had lunch at my favorite Ethiopean restaurant, and they have a vegetarian sampler plate (it's actually vegan), and they whole experience reminded me of the CRAM circuit lecture by Doug Lisle that I just watched. The idea that the full stomach of rich food is the conditioned response for more eating is exactly what happened after lunch. I ate a bit past the point of satiation (it's soooo good!), then next thing you know I'm thinking I need more food, maybe chocolate, maybe a milk shake. I didn't have any, but man I sure did think about it. And, the whole extinction curve with sponatious recovery really is my behavior model - I'll do great for a period of time, then WHAM I'm off the deep end. If you haven't watched it yet, it's totally worth the time.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby SilverDollar123 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:58 pm

The bean recipe is a keeper! Yum. I never cooked the beans 1st. before. And squishing the tomatoes is something
kids will enjoy doing. RAS :nod:
SilverDollar123

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 pm

I’m so glad you like it! It’s a family favorite.

Today I had a perfect day of eating (so far! It’s not over yet!). I found a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in an old McDougall newsletter, and we got all the way to the end before we realized that we only had mini chocolate chips, not the regular ones. The batter is in the fridge, and I’m going to run out for chips when my husband puts the kids to bed.

I did not have any ener-g egg replacer, but came across a recipe online that looked good, so I made a small batch if that to try out. It’s a pretty simple recipe - potato starch, tapioca starch, baking soda and baking powder, all of which I had on hand.

Tomorrow we're going to my mom’s for some holiday baking. Chex party mix, fudge and cookies. None of it is compliant, but I’m planning on a solid breakfast and packing my lunch. Hopefully I keep my head on straight. I’m going to make my favorite molasses cookies, and maybe try my hand at a vegan version, and maybe maybe give a McDougall attempt a try.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals