Maybe a baby in 2017

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maybe a baby in 2017

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:20 am

I got back into pre-babies jeans!! It's a little snug fit, but they are on. I feel good, and am keeping on with the potato mini-Ish. I've been eating a lot of salsa, and that is contributing to some heartburn and too much salt, so I'm going to work on alternative potato condiment options.

Thurs 4/13
B: big chocolate smoothie
L1: Apple
L2: potatoes and TP salsa, green goddess smoothie
S: Apple and watermelon
D: potatoes and pico de gallo

Fri: 4/14
B: hash browns and ketchup
L: Apple and chocolate smoothie
L2: potatoes and TP salsa and pico de gallo
S: sugar snap peas, Ginger kombucha
D: potatoes and TP salsa
S2: dates

Sat 4/15
L: potatoes and pico de gallo, mustard and sugar snap peas
L2: same as L
S: Apple and banana
D: sugar snap peas

Sun 4/16 EASTER
L: potatoes and mustard, nooch and spices
S: sugar snap peas and hummus, watermelon
D: coconut cream pie* and chocolate cake*

* NOT COMPLIANT. All of the in-laws do the Paleo thing, and they all decided that yesterday would be a "cheat day," so there was three different kinds of pie, chocolate cake and candies everywhere. I followed the advice of stuffing mys of with vegetables so that hunger wasn't an issue, but did eventually have some treats. The good thing is that I only ate the stuff that I really, really like and didn't mindlessly stuff my face with just any junk in front of me. And today I'm already right back on track.

TMI on MENSTRATION
I'm not sure if this is related to my current diet, but my period was only five days, the last day was light spotting, and no cramps. We'll have to wait a month and see if this is a consistent change, but it was pretty awesome.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:12 am

Mon 4/17
L: sugar snap peas, watermelon, Ginger kombucha, strawberries
S: salad with caesar-y dressing, bell peppers
D: sweet potato and Dijon mustard

Tues 4/18
L: country potatoes and ketchup, Apple and sugar snap peas
S: chocolate smoothie
D: Sunny Italy* and WW pasta
*NOT COMPLIANT. Gave me a terrible stomach ache. My insides revolted. Sunny Italy is an Italian restaurant that makes delicious spaghetti sauce, but is very rich.

Wed 4/19
L: Apple and cranberry kombucha
D: salad and Caesar-y dressing
LNS: strawberries

Thurs 4/20
B: chocolate smoothie
B2: hash browns and ketchup
L: Debbies's vegan chili (probably had oil, definitely had salt, likely had sugar)
S: apple
S2: sugar snap peas and blackberries
D: salad and tahini dressing
LNS: Easter candy*, fruit chew*
*NOT COMPLIANT

Fri 4/21
L: fruit bowl and coffee at Petite Chou
L2: sugar snap peas with bell pepper hummus, Caribbean dream smoothie with turmeric
D: fries and ketchup

Sat 4/22
L: potatoes and salsa
S: vegan chocolate chip cookies*
D: jicama, strawberries, blackberries
*NOT COMPLIANT

This journal is good because I can see that I've had a few time this past week when I've had not compliant food.

So, I do want to mention that I've had a few negative health issues since improving my eating. First, I have turned into a PMS monster. This is not good. Second, I get heartburn when I eat salsa. This is also not good. I've never had to deal with heartburn, and salsa is a go-to condiment since reducing SOS. If anyone has some insight on what do to about these issues, please share your wisdom!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon May 08, 2017 2:40 pm

The past 10 days have been too many opportunities to eat off-plan. First, I went to an annual black tie fundraiser with a provided dinner. It was vegetarian and indulgent, and the wine was free. The next day my husband and I were in a state of hungover that reminds you that you are not that young anymore and that you shouldn't party like it's your 21st birthday.

Then, both of my sisters came to town last weekend. Lots of eating out and such.

So, today is BACK ON TRACK. Unfortunately, we have another dinner out, this time for my nephew's birthday. I just put together a SNAP meal to pre-eat before landing at a Mexican restaurant in front of chips and salsa. My plan is to order black beans, rice, pico de gallo and corn tortillas. Those will be on track enough for tonight, then full steam ahead tomorrow. I really want to get this salt back out of my meals, I don't like it at all!

Today's SNAP concoction:
2 cans NSA diced tomatoes
1 bag frozen black eyed peas
1 bag frozen okra
1 lbs white mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini, diced
Handful of fresh spinach
NSA Cajun seasoning
Liquid smoke
Instant brown rice

This tastes good and is filling. I'm glad to have it for lunch tomorrow at work. I'm excited to try out different variations of this.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby sksamboots » Sun May 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Great job with the planning! :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 31, 2017 5:56 am

Thanks sksamboots!

I've still been struggling with staying in plan since I quit doing the Mary's Mini last month. It seems like every time I try to get back on track, someone shows up with cookies or cake. I sent Jeff Novick an email because I'd like some direct guidance about nutrition during pregnancy and staying on track. I'm hoping just talking to him gives me the motivation to resist unhealthy food.

I've been writing down all my meals, and it's less than ideal. Ugh. I've been working on this for almost a year and am a little disheartened right now about my food choices to be honest. The past couple days have been rough.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:53 am

I had a phone consult with Jeff Novick on Wednesday, and it was so great to speak with a professional that is knowledgeable about healthy eating and able to provide specific advice about my circumstances. He gave me a couple of things to do (and these are for my specific concerns and not blanket advice for everyone): 1) eat beans and greens every day and 2) use Cronometer for a few days and see how everything averages out. So I've been making sure to include 1 cup of beans and at least 1 cup of cooked greens.

Now I am off to a princess birthday party. Not enough hours in the day! But I'm getting my greens in.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby sksamboots » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:49 am

This is great news. Bravo to you for reaching out for support when you needed it. Hope today goes well :nod:
sksamboots

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:29 am

I feel like I'm kinda getting my feet back underneath me! I had reached my goal of getting in my pre-babies jeans on April 17th, then promptly loosened up my eating and gained those last 5 lbs back over the past two months. I finally bought a scale last week, and had that phone appointment a couple weeks back with Jeff, and am taking a few weeks off of work and am already headed in the right direction.

I so worry about holiday gatherings! It is seriously like an alcoholic walking into a bar and having the owner say, "Have anything you want! It's on the house." Thankfully, I brought enough fancy foods for me that I avoided all the crazy stuff. Someone else had posted about a layered hummus dip they bring, so I did a riff on that and it was awesome. Unfortunately, I assembled it at home and it was just a blob by the time we got to my mother-in-law's, but on the plus side it was incredibly delicious and I didn't have to share my blob with anyone.

Hummus Party Dip
16 oz hummus
Diced cucumber
Diced orange bell pepper
Diced tomatoes
Diced olives

Spread hummus on a plate. Top with diced veggies and olives. Use whole wheat pita triangles for dipping.

Whole Foods brand plain hummus has no added oil and lower salt, and they also have whole wheat pitas that have no added oil.

I tried out a brownie recipe for the second time. It's alright enough that I can eat it and avoid most of the really rich treats, but not so good that I can't thrown away the left overs. I through away all the extra brownies as soon as I got home. The phrase, "It can go to waste, or it can go to your waist," really is true. Alternately, "If it's in my place, it's in my face," works.

Brownies
Box brownie mix (no eggs or dairy)
1/2 box silken tofu
1/4 water (or coffee)

Blend tofu and water together. Combine with box mix. Line pan with parchment paper. Bake as directed on box (mine took a little longer to cook, and had a more cake-like consistency, and the sides did not get crispy.)

I am really excited about getting back on course with healthy eating!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:09 am

Hi there! It's been a busy summer. My husband finished rehabbing our house, we put in on the market, and it sold in ONE DAY at full price! Total insanity. We spent a few weeks scrambling to figure out where we were going to move, and found a two-story apartment with rooftop terrace that overlooks the city just blocks from where we currently live.

Well, when it comes to family planning, I thought for sure that we'd have a baby this year, but as is life, and we haven't even started trying yet! Appointment in early September for IUD removal, so we'll what happens there. I have a feeling that it'll take a while, and "advanced maternal age" is quickly approaching.

I have renewed my commitment to healthy eating. I was having so many "exceptions," which then turn into a cycle of cravings and other off plan eating, that I finally realized I just can't have refined sweetners AT ALL. Someone posted this article in the lounge and it really opened my eyes to why I was not achieving the goals I had hoped for: http://www.raptitude.com/2017/07/wise-p ... hemselves/ . I need to have clear boundaries that keep me focused on my goals. For food, it is eating whole plant foods, and avoiding anything refined, be it oil, white flour or sugar.

Today is day 9 of total compliance. I do really well when I'm at home, it's having will power at work that can be a struggle for me, but by having a firm line on oil and refined sweetners I have the ability to avoid unhealthy foods. You know how it is, though, if you just have one little bitty cookie and next thing you know you're knee deep in bakery goods. Fortunately, Ezekiel bread and whole grain pasta aren't problems for me.

On another mom-related note, I'm right at my pre-pregnancy weight, but have been really dissatisfied with how I look in the mirror. You know, of course after having two children I shouldn't expect to look like a 21 year old, but I was frustrated with being so slim and still not fitting into my clothing. This article truly changed my life: http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... utes-a-day .

In other news, the local WFPB group had a pitch-in early in the month that was awesome. My two favorite new recipes that people brought are Thug Kitchen Scalloped Potatoes and The Vegan 8 Mexican Casserole. I did some tweaking to the potatoe recipe, using a lbs of sautéed mushrooms instead of chard and omitting the soy sauce and oil. This weekend I'm going to give the Mexican casserole a try, using potato instead of nuts for the sauce so that it's not so rich - I'd rather top with avocado than have it be so intense. Fingers crossed it works!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Today I got my IUD out! Now to the fun part... :D

We moved last week. I've had a couple non-compliant moments since the move, but have gotten better at getting back on track more quickly. Last weekend was another of our awesome local pitch-ins, this time with a 18 person turnout, but I tried a "feast food" of coconut cream tease-cake, and next thing you know I'm knee deep in junk. But, if I take a step back from the moment, I realize that I've been completely compliant 30 out of the past 34 days, which is the best I've done ever.

I'm now a full-time stay-at-home homeschooling mom. So far it's been mostly getting settled and unpacking boxes, and catching up on play dates. My husband is already nudging me to get out of the house with friends because my topics of conversation are dwindling down quickly to mind-numbing mom stuff. Hopefully I can manage to stay a well-rounded person and not only discuss veggies and children.

As far as baby making goes, the first possible positive pregnancy test would be early October, and our anniversary is October 4th, which would be a nice surprise, but who knows what the future has in store. I will obviously not be having a baby this year, so the title of this journal is a little dated at this point, but it is what it is. I'm staying on track of having my cup of beans a day, and a couple cups of cooked collard greens (I really like them. I chop up a couple bunches and put them in the Instant Pot on manual for 15 min with 1 cup water. When I reheat them, they are perfect.).

Today at my appointment my midwife had a student midwife with her, and they commented about how nice it was to have a client that actually ate healthy. I explained that I was working with a dietitian to meet my nutrient goals through food so that I would not be supplementing aside from B-12, and they are completely supportive. I requested a fasting blood draw to get a pre-pregnancy baseline for cholesterol, vit D, b-12, etc. Those should be back next week. I use a home-birth midwife (I had my second child at home by choice) for pregnancy and birth, but I still go to my local hospital-of-choice to see an RN midwife for ultrasounds, blood work, IUD insertion/removal, and to have an ongoing relationship should I need transfer in an emergency. The RN midwife is great, and she had her three kids at home, too, so she's super supportive and knowledgeable.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:05 pm

I realized that my favorite marinara has sugar in it! Sigh... I just wanted one product that I could buy off the shelf! I threw together this sauce quickly and am pretty pleased with it. The balsamic vinegar adds a touch of sweetness and balanced acidity. Add whatever veggies you like.

Quicky Pasta Sauce
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1-2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Combine in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. The flavors continue to mingle and develope with time, but I had no patience and dove right in. Makes about 4 cups.

My mom used to make homemade spaghetti sauce when I was a kid with canned mushrooms and diced green peppers, (and ground beef, of course). I might use this base with those added veggies and see how it turns out. I haven't had mom's original in decades!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:05 pm

I am so sick today. My oldest got a sore throat and runny nose, but it ended rather quickly, so when my throat felt scratchy, I thought it would be over with in no time. Unfortunately not. I am feeling terrible.

In good news, I got my bloodwork results from my midwife visit last week. I really have no one to share the good news with. So here is me over-sharing my numbers to the small audience that might read this.

Height: 5'3"
Weight: 112 lbs
BMI: 19.7
Blood pressure: 92/50
Total Cholesterol: 110
HDL: 35* (recommended >40)
LDL: 73 (recommended 0-100)
Triglicerides: 54 (recommended 0-150)
A1C: 5.0
Folate: >23 (nmol/L?) (recommended >5.9)
B12: 521 (recommended 200-1000)
Vit D: 35.8 (recommended 20-50)

Last time I had bloodwork done was January 2015, and my total cholesterol was 164 eating a fairly standard American vegetarian diet (some eggs, definitely cheese, but no milk or meat). By adopting the McDougall recommended eating guidelines, I got back down to my pre-pregnancy weight and pants, and my total cholesterol dropped 54 points.

It just dawned on me while I was thinking about what I used to eat, and my cravings for cheese are GONE. Seriously, I might think about a good French blue cheese on a baguette about once every 3 months, but it's no longer a required part of every lunch and dinner (and sometimes breakfast!). I've given up caffiene, cheese and now I guess chocolate is the last frontier. And maybe start excersizing. But let's not get too extreme! Hahahaha.

Wishing you all the best and a nose you can breathe out of.

*The nurse I spoke to on the phone did mention that usually they want to see someone with an HDL >40, but since my total cholesterol was so low, it didn't apply to me.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:39 am

Patty posted this recipe for cocoa balls, and they are absolutely delicious. http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/recip ... gs.LoTgm_k It's starting to get too cold for chocolate smoothie, so these will be a better alternative to actual candy (although extremely caloricly dense). It has oats in it, and I think it's even better than larabars.

We're going to our monthly WFPB pitch in today. I'm taking home made soy milk yogurt with mixed berry compote, and the girls are bringing the cocoa balls. This is usually a time that my husband watches the girls so that I can talk to adults, but he is working this weekend, so I'm bringing them with me. We're practicing manners, so that they aren't too honest with people if they don't like a dish.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:22 am

Went to the pitch in on Sunday, and when I sat down my bag with the yogurt in it, the bag fell onto the concrete floor and shattered - thankfully everything was contained in the bag, but such a bummer! I'm hosting the next pitch in, and I'm thinking of providing lasagne, and maybe salad for something light.

My favorite dishes from the get together were samosa potatoes (a casserole), Thai spring rolls with FOK almost instant peanut sauce, and an apple crisp. The apple crisp would be a good one to take to thanksgiving - it was made in a 9 x 13 pan, so I can probably divide it among two pie pans and have one for each dinner we attend.

Lately we've fallen into a food rut, and the girls are having one of those moments when they can tell me they don't like food. I've had to get firm on the "take it or leave it" stance. Most recently I made Butternut Squash soup. This is my go-to recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ree-108800
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:27 am

I'M PREGNANT!!!!

The following contains information that I would never say to a stranger, but I will put out on the Internet in a quasi-anonymous forum.

TMI WARNING

So, my husband has been super on the fence about having another, but after much discussion back and forth, he decided that we would give this a try. Since both of our girls were surprises, his friends jokingly called him "One Shot," and he wanted to test the theory. We had sex just once, and it happened to coincide with the day I was ovulating, and TA DA, I took a pregnancy test on the day I was due (which also happened to be our wedding anniversary), but it was negative (and then I had a glass of wine at dinner), so today is two days late, and I woke up to pee in the middle of the night and tested then, and it was positive immediately. Now I can't go back to sleep. Just too excited.

I just bought a few shirts online that are super stretchy and was hoping that they could get me through most of the winter if I happen to get pregnant, so this is soooo great.

We're also going on vacation to Anna Maria, Florida at the end of the month. I've been bloated the past few days, but I thought it was just because I had a few off-plan indulgences. Now I'll just look puffy in a swimsuit. Fine with me!

Estimated due date is June 17. My first kid was 19 days early, and the second was 5 days late, so pretty much the entire month of June is fair game. We will do a home birth again, unless medically warranted to do otherwise. SO EXCITED!!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals