Maybe a baby in 2017

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maybe a baby in 2017

Postby amandamechele » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:56 am

Woo hoo! Congratulations Lyndzie. I'm so happy for you both!

PS. I love your TMI explanation and feel the same. I tend to say things here I probably wouldn't bring up in face to face conversation with people banking on the very thin veneer of anonymity this forum and its sheer size provides. I figure anything I say will eventually be lost as my post moves further down the list.

XO
Amy
amandamechele

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:50 am

Thanks Amanda!

I am just so excited, and want tell everyone, but it is a good idea to wait a bit. I told my two sisters and my mom, and all of you people, but that's it for now.

Since fall has arrived, and the leaves are starting to crunch beneath my feet, I've gone back to wanting a warmer breakfast.

APPLE PIE OATMEAL
1 c water
1/4 c steel cut oats
1/2 apple, chopped
2 tbsp raisins
Cinnamon

Combine everything in your Instant Pot. Manual for 13 minutes, natural release. I stir in 1 tbsp ground flax after cooking, then top with sliced banana for serving.

I've been making the Thai spring rolls and FOK Almost Instant Peanut Sauce. I tried to make the sauce with date paste as the sweetner instead of brown rice syrup, but it didn't work and I ended up adding a little honey (I didn't have the brown rice syrup on hand). This has definitely made this recipe taste a little too good, but I will use up the rest of it, then try to figure out a tweak for the future.

In the spring rolls, I'm using butter leaf lettuce, red bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, rice and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. It's amazing. I put water in a pie pan, and that was the perfect size to soak the rice paper wrappers. Hopefully I can get the sauce tweaked, because it's an easy and delicious way to eat your veggies and starch.
Last edited by Lyndzie on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Congratulations! On your pregnancy,keep posting love to hear how you are doing. RAS :nod:
SilverDollar123

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 am

Thanks Ras!

Wednesday was 5 weeks pregnant. Embryo is the size of a sesame seed (last week was poppy seed). I'm impressed with how quickly I started needing more sleep. Growing a sesame seed is exhausting!

Got my first prenatal appointment set up with my midwife for Nov 16 at 10 weeks, and we should be able to hear a heartbeat at that point. I'm debating whether to get an ultrasound - I don't feel the need for one, so I'll let my husband choose. In the past he's really appreciated the visual, since I look pretty much the same, just more tired.

I am very grateful for this way of eating, because I'm craving these "bland" and nourishing foods. Greasy, rich food just does not appeal to me at all right now. I made a bag of 15 bean soup in the instant pot, and it's just what I'm looking for. Oatmeal for breakfast, soup for lunch, carrots and hummus for a snack. We're meeting my dad for lunch today, and I might just skip out and wait till I get home for food. We're going to dinner with friends as well, so we'll see how I'm feeling. No more restaurant plans for a while after today.

Yesterday when the girls and I went for a bike ride we met a cat that followed us home. I'm guessing she's a kitten, we're going to take her to the clinic this morning to see if she has a microchip and get her a check up. She's very bony, but has the sweetest, most friendly disposition. The kids named her Donut.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 am

Got my first waive of nausea this morning. Good news is that the pregnancy is progressing normally, bad news is I want to puke. I mixed some powdered ginger in some cold water, and that seems to have helped. Tomorrow I'll set my instant pot so that breakfast is ready right when I get up, because it's still cooking right now and I feel woozy.

We're at week six, the embryo is the size of lentil, already 1/4" long. That seems awfully large to me, considering 14 days ago it was the size of a poppy seed.

Yesterday was the first time so far that I felt like a crazy person. For some reason I was really hoping that McDougalling while pregnant meant that I wouldn't have any negative pregnancy symptoms, but that was just wishful thinking.

Made BLTs with homemade tempeh bacon this past week. It was delicious. Also made homemade tofu mayo. It was a little thinner than I wanted, so next time I'll just use firm silken tofu.

TEMPEH BACON
8 oz tempeh, sliced 1/8" thick
1/4 c soy sauce (I might use less next time)
1/4 c apple juice
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cornstarch (I will increase this next time)

Combine everything in a container to marinade. Drain and bake strips at 400F.

TOFU MAYO
1 block silken tofu
2/3 raw cashews, soaked
2 tbsp white miso paste
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar

Combine in a blender until smooth and creamy. Can be used in potato salad and coleslaw as well.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:49 pm

It turns out that pregnancy is going to be a big motivator to stay on track, not for health reasons, but because of nausea. I had the enchilada sample at Trader Joe's today, promptly impulse purchased it and ate it when I got home, then to be hit in the face with not-just-morning sickness. Had to skip dinner even.

Now I'm drinking ginger water and having a light salad of romaine lettuce, chickpeas and radishes with a homemade balsamic dressing.

We leave for vacation on Thursday to drive 15 hours down to Florida to stay for a week with my mother-in-law. I see a lot of plain Wendy's baked potatoes in my future.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 am

Enjoy the vacation/trip.Wishing you an easy stomach.& Happy Birthday! RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes, RAS!

Nausea has definitely taken hold, and I am so grateful for this way of eating, because I am use to simple foods. Made myself a birthday cake (totally off plan) and didn't eat a bite, just threw it away.

I searched the forum for morning sickness and came across a post quoting Dr. Greger for dried apple slices with ginger. I had most ingredients on hand, so I just threw it together and am baking them at 200 degrees until they are dry enough to take with us for the trip. The nausea isn't unmanageable, but I'm definitely not getting in enough food, and that is making me feel worse.

Yesterday I made cabbage soup and ate quite a bit of that.

We decided to leave for vacation a day early to give us extra time to get down to Florida. Hopefully having light days of driving will be good and fun. Fingers crossed.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:31 am

We made it to Florida! We did the 16 hour drive in three days. The first day we got a late start, and when we were approaching Nashville we started calling for hotel rooms, but everything was booked all the way to Chatanooga, so we had to drive until 1 am. The next day we got all the way to Gainesville and ended up staying in one of the cheapest hotels ever. Everything was scratchy - the bed sheets, the toilet paper, everything! But, again, because my husband did not want to plan ahead, that was our only option after checking about 25 hotels. We are definitely not going to do this on the drive back!

We are on Anna Maria Island, which is just south of Tampa, about halfway down the state on the Gulf side. Food has been surprisingly great here. We're staying in a suite, so I brought all the stuff we need for breakfast, including tetra-packs of unsweetened almond milk, so breakfast is set. We picked up some pre-cut fruit and PB&J fixings for lunch, then have been going out to dinner. I've have salads for dinner the past two nights, but was pleased that there were other options that were vegetarian/vegan, though probably not 100% compliant. To be totally honest, I've had a few off-plan foods, but the morning sickness is lurking in the background, keeping me on track.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:42 pm

So, after a week of eating too much SHIT (Shouldn't Have Ingested That), I am looking forward to returning home to some my own cooking. Last night I had sweet corn risotto, and just loved the starch - I hadn't realized how much I had been missing it, since most restaurant choices for starch are French fries. Dinner tonight was salad and side of mashed potatoes, which was delicious. None of these things were compliant, I'm sure they had some sort of butter or oil, but I'm also not too worried about this week, because it's back to usual when I get home.

The girls were playing on the beach today and made "shell soup" out of ocean water, sand and shells. This reminded me of a recipe I have for pasta e fagioli that uses shell pasta and white beans, so I told them I'd make it for them when we get home. I think I'll try hash brown potatoes for breakfast again, too. Gosh, I'm just so hungry for my own cooking. I can't wait to get back into the kitchen!

Another thing I've observed is how I feel after eating high-fat foods. I'm super aware of how gross I feel (even though I've continued to eat these things), and at this point I am super motivated to get back to better food choices.

There is a large number of British people staying at this resort, and today at 3 o'clock they hosted high tea for everyone. It was so much fun. I decided to fully participate and tried tea the British-way, plus the other treats they provided. I'd like to recreate this at home with a more WFPB angle and do it for the kids. We had a great time, and dolphins even swam by while we were gathered on the veranda. It was a lovely way to wrap up our stay.

Hopefully you're doing a better job of avoiding SHIT than me! I should be home late Saturday, and back to cooking straight away.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:10 am

We're home! Yesterday I had this huge revelation - my glasses are the main cause of my morning sickness. I've worn contacts all week in Florida, and put the glasses on for the car ride, and BOOM, nausea was back in full force. I still need to eat every 2-3 hours, but at least I'm functioning.

The girls got up at their usual time this morning, so I was about to do an early morning grocery run so my husband could sleep in a bit when I realized - stupid daylight savings time has happened. Now we have to wait another hour to leave, so that the store is open. Even though it's the exact same time as usual, it seems so much more unbareable when the clock reads an hour earlier.

I'm going to pick up a couple bags of frozen hash browns for breakfasts. I'm so excited to be back in my own kitchen, there are so many cold-weather dishes that I've been looking forward to making: split pea soup, tagine, pasta e fagioli soup, stuffed acorn squash, risotto, fresh spring rolls (it just sounds good!) and so on.

Next Sunday I'm hosting the monthly WFPB pitch-in. We have a great group that gets together and I always try a new dish that I love. I haven't decided what I'm going to make yet. Maybe the stuffed acorn squash recipe, but in a casserole dish. It's a great Cook's Illustrated recipe that was easily adapted to exclude the oil and a sprinkle of parm. It has barley and fennel, and is finished with a splash of balsamic vinegar. It's just so good!

Also, we're at 8 weeks along (as of past Wednesday), so it's the size of a kidney bean. Moving right along!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:21 am

Yesterday I bought a new non-stick skillet and it's a game changer. Last year we pitched our old Teflon pan and got non-stick ceramic, and they have been terrible. The first one we tried never quite worked, and the second one was good for a week before sticking became a problem. I finally came to grips with the fact that good old-fashioned Teflon is what I want when it comes to oil-free cooking, and this morning I made the most perfect hash browns to grace the face of the earth.

Last night I made "shell soup," aka pasta e fagioli. It was a hit. I used a small amount of my favorite no-chicken broth, which has way too much sodium, but tastes quite delicious, and omitted the 2/3 cup oil (!!!!) from the recipe, and forgot to add the tomatoes, but it still was so good.

PASTA E FAGIOLI SOUP
10 oz dry navy beans
8 oz shell pasta
3 carrots, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 onion, diced (I omitted due to opinionated children)
1-2 garlic cloves (also omitted)
1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
6-7 tomatoes, peeled and diced (totally forgot to add)
1 bay leaf
6-8 cups water/broth

Cook navy beans - 30 min in Instant Pot.
Cook pasta al dente and set aside.
Saute aromatics and herbs, add remaining ingredients and heat through.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:39 am

9 weeks along! Roughly 1 inch, the size of a grape.

Since we've gotten back from vacation I have not been feeling well AT ALL. The struggle with nausea is real. For some reason I had this silly idea that if I ate right then I wouldn't have any morning sickness. Countless other cultures don't experience morning sickness, so it must be food related, right? WRONG.

So, I posted on Jeff's forum and he gave me a couple great study links. I've been having ginger tea in the morning, but a few hours later nausea would kick in, and it turns out that according to the studies (if I am understanding them correctly) that ginger needs to be consumed every 2-3 hours. That's an easy fix. I decided to try candied ginger and it worked like a charm. Yes, it's way more sugar than I would otherwise ingest, but I actually was super productive yesterday afternoon and got caught up on a ton of housework.

Speaking of housework, I got a new vacuum yesterday. Most of the places we've lived have had hardwood floors, so I had a great little vacuum for solid floors, but it was just not effective on the carpet here in this apartment. So, I got one of those bag less vacuums that you can see the dirt, and it's incredible what was hiding in this carpet. The canister was filled just in the girls room, and that is after I had vacuumed with my other vacuum. I honestly do not know the last time this place was properly vacuumed. So gross.

This all came up for a few reasons. This weekend I'm hosting our local WFPB pitch in. I can't have 20+ people in a dirty house! Also, my husband is having allergy issues, maybe cat related (?), but after the amount of dirt sucked up, if could be caused by dust allergies or something. And, speaking of cats, I picked up a brush called the Furminator (they make it for dogs, too), which is a de shedding tool, and it works great. I combed our new cat Donut twice yesterday, and for the first time I could pet him without getting covered in fur. Now, if his tummy troubles would settle down, and he would quit eating through bags of bread at night, and drinking out of water cups, etc. etc... You know, normal cat stuff. He has such a great personality, and puts up with the the girls picking him up, I just love that cat. He's the best. He's just the right age, also, and loves playing.

But back to food: I'm going to make Cathy Fisher's Beefless Stew for the pitch in, and provide the usual veggie tray and hummus, plus some beverages. It should be fun. The stew is great, and should be a hit. I'm going to make a double batch so that there are leftovers.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:19 am

Picked up ginger tea yesterday because eating the requisite amount of candied ginger is not working for me. Also, I see myself getting into the loop of bad eating, though instead of Chinese take out I made homemade veggie lo mein with tofu and it was perfect - cheap, easy and the kids loved it. Used thin spaghetti noodles and it was great, which really surprised me. It's nice to have a quick easy meal with veggies that the kids are excited about.

I'm surprised at how big I am already. I shouldn't be too surprised, it is my third pregnancy, but I have these visions of these lean toned women with these cute little bumps, and I look like a slightly pudgy (dumpy even?) petite lady. Last time I was expecting people would ask me when I was due, and it'd still be two months away, and you'd get the surprised look of, "Really?? You look ready to pop any day already?!" That's when I realized that when I talk to other pregnant women, always follow up their answer with, "You look so good!" Because it's hard to feel good when you look like a circle. My weight gain went to the same end point both times, so I'll be interested to see if it's different this time with better eating habits.

Enough griping for this morning. I hope you all are having a lovely, warm, nausea-free Saturday!
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:12 am

You can just boil chunks of ginger in water for a few minutes also and drink that. Just mentioning in case the ginger tea you bought doesn’t do the trick.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals