Grit and Determination

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Grit and Determination

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm

Tuesday Day 79

Boy, I just missed a close call with craving and hunger! I've let myself get too hungry and now all I can think about is a big fat sandwich or some corn chips with cheese and avocado!! But, instead I just popped some potatoes and onions in the oven. I can wait until they are ready to eat. I've been eating salad but its not satisfying me!

B: Corn grits
L: sweet potato chowder and salad
moonlight

Postby astirle » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Well done for sticking with it moonlight!
Isnt it great when leftovers are even better the next day :thumbsup:
Sometimes when we have setbacks its easy to throw everything to the wind, rather than to appreciate our success up to that point.
On the quest for resilience
astirle

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Potatoes and onions sounds really good! well done!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Day 82 (194 lbs)

Astirle and Buns, thank you for stopping by and for the encouraging words!! This website is such a godsend! It's amazing it exists! I was just reading in the MWL book the excuses and rationalizations people have for avoiding a good diet. It inspired me to write! I've been absent the last couple of days... I think that happens when I can't brag about myself and my willpower!

So, for confession time... Wednesday I ate out for lunch and dinner. For lunch at a Mexican restaurant I managed to avoid cheese, avocado, sour cream but I ate a few chips... I was at Moe's. The restaurant serves food in a similar way as Subway. Rice and beans are not cooked in meat. I order a rice bowl with beans and veggies. Chips are included with the order. If I could ever tell them when I'm ordering that I don't want the chips... Then for dinner my husband wanted to eat at Ruby Tuesday's. He was craving ribs. I had planned to get salad and a baked potato... after reading the menu I decided on pasta primavera with lemon basil sauce and salad with 1000 Island dressing. Terrible choices! And it gets worse! He ordered cheesecake to go for his dessert. When we were home I saw his cheesecake sitting on the kitchen counter... I had to force myself to stop eating it after 2 bites! I usually can just pass cheesecake up without a thought. Sweets are really not that tempting to me. On a positive note, I realized I had screwed up and it wasn't an all or nothing deal breaker (gotta find something positive to say). I knew I would renew my commitment.

Yesterday I had a good MWL diet day until I bought some candy to put in a gift bag.... I ate 3-4 pieces... then read on the bag how fattening they were. 12 grams of fat in 4 pieces!! OMG! I felt guilty for even gifting them to another person. I had a good evening, staying on my diet plan.

The last couple of nights I've been waking up and eating during the night... I think this is related to going off the diet plan.

So, back to the MWL book and list of excuses, I can rationalize in the moment that it's okay to go off plan sometimes, that in restaurants I don't have any self-control, that it's too hard to stay on the diet all the time. One in the book is "You can't find healthy, nonfattening foods in restaurants". I think that when I'm looking at the menu. If I could ever just once stay on plan in a restaurant I think it would be easier the next time. I like to say "I'm a creature of habit" as an excuse for going off plan. Why can't I be a creature of "good habits"?

In the book "50 Ways to Soothe Yourself without Food" Susan Albers suggests a way of observing your thoughts and emotions. You turn your attention toward, not away from, your thoughts to eat. You closly examine how you think and why you think about food rather than trying to push those thoughts away. She suggests imagining yourself as a bystander at a parade. Imagine each thought you have on its own parade float. The words written out on the float. Watch the float approach you, pass by, and disappear in the distance. Allow your thoughts to be whatever they are, instead of telling yourself to "Stop thinking about that cheese!" or whatever the thought is. I really like this suggestion. I'm going to concentrate on using it the next time I find myself staring at a menu... then I'm going to order only healthy food that I want to eat!

30 minutes on the water rower this morning!
Another 30 minutes rowing!

B: Corn grits with onions, mushrooms, and red peppers
L: Sweet Potato Chowder, corn grits, and Oriental Green Salad
Last edited by moonlight on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Day 83 194 lbs.

30 minutes on the rower!!

B: Corn grits
L: Oriental Green Salad and Potato Rice Medley - I made the potato rice medley recipe from MWL cookbook yesterday. I had it for dinner then for lunch today. I love this recipe! Again, a discovery from MWL cookbook that I would not have made if I wasn't determined to make every recipe in the book. The combination of potatoes, rice, and corn just did not appeal to me.. but I love it! I used Yukon Gold potatoes and steamed them.
Snack: Veggie Sushi and 2 rice paper rolls
D: Oriental Greens Salad, Sweet Potato Chowder, and Potato Rice Medley
Snack: Popcorn

Trying to convince myself to make the Spicy Tomato Coleslaw recipe. Another one that doesn't sound appealing...
Last edited by moonlight on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:12 pm

You've convinced me to get out my MWL book. ha! Going to have to try some of these. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:27 pm

Day 84 192 lbs.

Buns, I would love it if you started cooking the recipes, too. We could be like chef nerd foodies!

Today I made a few new recipes, trying to get enough for the week. I made Potato Squash Boats, which are very good. I love curry. I made Favorite Garden Salad, which is a very simple greens salad. I made Spicy Tomato Coleslaw. It is a beautiful coleslaw with a spicy tomato-based dressing. Also, I made Italian Garbanzo Stew. I feel rich!! My fridge is stocked for a few days. No excuse to stray from the MWL plan!

30 minutes on water rower today

B: Oatmeal
L: Sweet Potato Chowder and Italian Garbanzo Stew
D: More Italian Garbanzo Stew and baked potatoes
Snack: popcorn
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Day 85 (191.4 lbs)

I've lost 3 lbs this week. I attribute that to daily exercise and focusing on a varied diet. Even though I think I could just eat potatoes every day, I know I need a variety of vegetables. I've increased raw veggies in my diet this last week. I suspect the increase in veggies has helped with food cravings of things not on the MWL diet. So, two advantages to eating my vegetables!

B: Corn Grits
L: Spicy Tomato Coleslaw and Beans & Rice Salad - both from MWL cookbook. As I suspected I wasn't thrilled with the spicy tomato coleslaw recipe but the 'spicy tomato' part was only the dressing. I marinated a small portion of the coleslaw in the dressing last night. It was edible but I wouldn't choose it again. I love the combination of ingredients for the coleslaw. I'll use another oil-free dressing with it. I like the Beans & Rice recipe for a cold rice dish.
D: Potato Squash Boats - very good recipe!
Snack: Popcorn - this may becoming an evening ritual. While my husband and I watch TV and he has his dessert of cheesecake or cookies, I have enjoyed making popcorn. I discovered using my 'old' oil mist container with water I can mist my air-popped popcorn. The flavorings stick to the popcorn better. Who needs butter?!?
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:20 am

Tuesday Day 86 (190 lbs)

I'm surprised how much weight I'm losing this week! Luckily, I've had time recently to make food to have in the fridge and I've been exercising almost daily. BMI in the Overweight Range. Never thought I'd be cheering for that!

30 minutes rowing
another 30 minutes rowing

B: Banana sandwich (100% whole wheat bread)
Snack: 2 slices swiss cheese (YIKES!!!, Wanted to document, as painful as it is...)
L: Beans & Rice Salad, Italian Garbanzo Stew
Snack: beans and salsa
D: Favorite Garden Salad and Potato Squash Boats
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:54 am

Thursday Day 88

I just finished playing with food! I made rice paper rolls with some of my coleslaw. I learned that there is a reason to use long julienned vegetables. Smaller cut veggies fall out while dipping and eating. Good to know. I plan to play with it some more when I feel like chopping veggies.

Rowed 30 minutes on water-rower this morning

Yesterday was my long work day with an intern job shadowing me. We ate at Moe's for lunch. Not a bad meal. Rice and beans are made without meat. I had a few chips. Last night I had dinner with a friend. We had planned on a restaurant that I knew would be veggie friendly. We got there and it was so loud. It was "Trivia Night". Someone shouting over a loudspeaker. We chose to walk across the street and eat at a different restaurant. Once seated and looking at the menu I realized it was not vegan friendly. Barely vegetarian friendly. No entrees without meat! Amazing. I was left with salad, cheese dip and chips, or fried green tomatoes on bed of cheese and grits. I chose spinach-cheese dip and chips! In hindsight,,, On a positive note, I didn't eat all of it but I probably ate half of it plus chips... I won't go back there. Then after I got home my husband was eating homemade cookies and I decided since I had already eaten cheese I could eat cookies. I had two... Today I'm totally back on track. My night-time eating has gone away. I'm losing weight and feeling good. I'm not going to dwell on this lapse. I'm just going to go forward.

B: Garbanzo beans (weird, I know..)
Snack: Rice paper rolls
L: Green Potato Soup from MWL cookbook. Very good with salt added!
D: Roasted Potatoes, roasted cauliflower and zucchini YUM!
Snack: it's gonna be popcorn...
Last edited by moonlight on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:18 am

Fun! the rice paper coleslaw rolls! I'm going grocery shopping this weekend and I'll get me some rice papers. It's been a while. I'll tell you a good combination for it: bean sprouts, rice threads, slivered carrot and romaine lettuce. YUM spring rolls! I used to make them on the regular.

Too bad about that restaurant experience. Do businesses NOT get it, that many people don't eat meat? honestly. But you're smart to just go on from here, and not let it floor you forever. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Buns! Yes, it was fun to make the rice paper rolls. I think they will have a place in my future. I don't think they are MWL compliant so I may wait until I get to desired weight to pursue them again. They are made with rice flour.

Next, I'm going to try the congee recipe you mentioned. I love oatmeal on the creamy, soupy side. I think I'll enjoy congee. I wonder if you could use any grain or is it just a rice thing?
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:16 am

I eyeballed the barley in my pantry when i was getting out the rice for this congee. It might be worth a try. The cool thing about it is, if it doesn't work out you're only down one cup of grain and a couple hours of time. I'll make it again with rice, and stir in greens at the end. When I had it with mushrooms and onions for yesterday's brekkie it was SO good! But seriously, spring rolls will be a weekend project at my house :) yummy!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby moonlight » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Friday Day 89

60 minutes on water rower

B: Potatoes, mushrooms, onion, and peppers steamed
L: coleslaw, rice & bean salad, and garbanzo Italian stew
Snack: Roasted potatoes
D: Fried rice recipe from MWL cookbook
Snacks: banana and 2 rice cakes
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:40 am

Saturday Day 90 (191 lbs)

I guess after Wednesday's off plan meal with the cheese dip and chips I gained a pound. The day after my weight was up 2 pounds but I thought some was probably water weight from sodium. Yesterday and today is has been 191. I'll take that as a gain of 1 pound. That really sucks... I'm going to really focus on the 1/2 greens to 1/2 starch for meals. I don't think I can push that ratio anymore toward the veggies without the risk of getting too hungry and making poor choices. On a positive note, I'm down 3 lbs. for the week. I'm getting stronger on the water rower. I am consistently rowing at 30-32 strokes per minute. I started out at 27-28 spm. Sometimes I row twice a day. I've increased my row time a few times to over 30 minutes. I'll focus on these positive changes and I'll be more focused on having the foods I need to eat ready and available. For now, I'll avoid eating out as much as possible. I just don't have a great track record there - yet. I have a dinner date tomorrow night with a friend. She made reservations at a fancy, gourmet vegan restaurant in Asheville. I looked at the menu and picked out the APPLEWOOD SMOKED PORTOBELLO -farm greens & garlic · seared south carolina white polenta cake · fennel salad · grape tomato · v1 steak sauce. There are only 5 or 6 entrées. All the others appear to have more fat - almond cream, avocado, tofu. I really appreciate the opportunity to go to a gourmet vegan restaurant. Hopefully it will not be too bad for my diet.

Rowed 45 minutes today
B: potatoes, mushrooms, bell pepper, garlic, onion, zucchini, spinach steamed. Now that's variety!
moonlight

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals