Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby Ruff » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:18 pm

hey Buns! I'm so happy the scale is going down for you. Its amazing what difference one little change can make...

I am another morning person, and I love the summer when I can be on the beach before 5.30am. Nobody else is there! And if I am in the hills I get to see all the wildlife, like you, before it moves away from the trails for the day. I am alone on the summits because everyone else is 2 hours behind me. Wonderful! But right now it is winter, and sunrise is not until 7.50. so I am still up at 5, because that is when I wake (I go to bed at 9) but it is cold and dark and I am sitting in front of a nice log fire....
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:33 am

Ruff wrote:hey Buns! I'm so happy the scale is going down for you. Its amazing what difference one little change can make...

I am another morning person, and I love the summer when I can be on the beach before 5.30am. Nobody else is there! And if I am in the hills I get to see all the wildlife, like you, before it moves away from the trails for the day. I am alone on the summits because everyone else is 2 hours behind me. Wonderful! But right now it is winter, and sunrise is not until 7.50. so I am still up at 5, because that is when I wake (I go to bed at 9) but it is cold and dark and I am sitting in front of a nice log fire....

Isn't it wonderful? I'm basically an introvert, and those couple of hours first thing in the morning are my alone time, as I share a house with two adults. Up early means I do have quiet, peace, and solitude.
gosh it would be nice to live near the beach. We were in California at the end of April and loved getting on the beach. If I lived in a coastal town, I would be there every day...first thing in the morning!

~~~~~

Okay kids! I'm under 220 today! woo hoo! It's a minor goal of mine to get into the "teens" since I haven't really been there since I decided to start posting here again back in 2018. I believe I was at about 245 at that point, and I've had my ups and downs, even very closely approaching 250 and at the time shaking my head saying "Well, that's different (it isn't...I was at 250-275 throughout my 30's) and maybe it's just my fate to be 120 lbs overweight my whole life" ... But I dinked around with it since then, and dropped weight VERY slowly, so that when I started MWL on March 1, I weighed 236 lbs.

And now I weigh 219!

Dropping the rice crackers was magic, plain and simple. I stuck at 224-ish for literal weeks, all the while munching rice crackers when I wanted a snack. I was doing all the other behaviors recommended on MWL but kept the rice crackers, thinking "no fat=no problem" ... and evidently fistfuls of refined flour, high sodium Asian snacks inhibit my weight loss EVEN THOUGH they are zero fat.
Rice crackers are not food for me.

Haven't made soup in a while, as it's gotten hot here. 102* yesterday for my grandson's graduation in an outdoor arena. *whew* so hot it wore me out. But I did buy a big bag of mixed baby greens and a head of iceberg lettuce and made a lovely salad mix with that. Even though the only thing I have on hand for dressing is balsamic vinegar and salt & pepper which I really do not enjoy AT ALL...but since I don't have soup made, I am starting my meals with salad. Except brekkie. I've been having G BOMBS minus the beans and seeds. Gosh that's a good way to fix oatmeal.

Greens
Berries
Onion
Mushrooms
Beans
Seeds

I don't know who invented it, but SactoBob back in the day introduced it here in these forums and I've loved it since my first bite. The idea is, all of these foods are anti-carcinogenic. Oatmeal, with broccoli, berries, minced red onion, and mushrooms. I stir in some "everything bagel seasoning" for the salty/garlicky flavor and a bit of Nooch...oh my that is TASTY.

A terrific walk this morning. I woke up at a little after 5:00, eager to get out there. Walked 1.5 miles, through my own neighborhood. I didn't go down to the Hollow where Bambi lives...but! I saw him yesterday ON MY STREET so the little guy gets around :lol: I sure enjoy seeing the various houses and yards. We're doing a spot of landscaping in a newly prepared spot on the east side of the house, so I look at yards for ideas. We'll be putting in some shrubs, grasses, ground cover, and some flowering things. :nod:

Loving it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:12 am

Another thing that I just remembered...a recent change in my eating habits is not consuming anything after 7:00 pm. No food, no drink. I hit the hay at 9:30 to 10:00 and was tired of waking up at 3:00 am with a bursting bladder. So I decided to stop drinking anything two hours before going to bed. Along with that, why not just quit snacking during those hours...so for the most part, I have been avoiding putting anything in my mouth after about 7 o'clock. That may be contributing to the scale going down, as well. That was Lucille Ball's secret to staying trim: never eat anything after 5 p.m.

Well, that may be the case for weight loss, but it sure helps with my sleep. The nights I stop at 7, I don't wake up until 5:00 ish. And then it's time to get up. On the nights that I forget and continue munching my ice (my favorite way to hydrate) ... well, those days my bladder screams me awake at 3:00 a.m. and there's no getting back to sleep and THAT sucks. So...it may be a factor in weight loss, but it IS a factor in my sleep health.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:20 am

Yesterday's walk was amazing. It was bliss! It was sublime...cool, fragrant air. The birds were singing their hearts out. I was refreshed and heart healthy when I got back home. Today's walk was like slogging through a swamp. Not a stir of any leaf, nor any singing at all. And humidity! whew. But I got 3,500 steps in, and I'll park at the far end of the parking lot if I go anywhere. But I ain't going out for a walk again today. The temperature showed 85 at 6:00 a.m....which, how is that correct? but even the 73 on the deck thermometer at 5:30? that's NOT FUN.

Scale is stuck again, at 220 this time, not 224 which is an improvement. I'm trying to think...maybe I'm eating past satiation too much. *sigh*
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:07 am

Oooh! a facelift for the website! cool! They've made the recipes much easier to get to, haven't they!

Nice walk this morning. I walked 1.5 miles, up two blocks and over four blocks, and back through a winding street that my best friend in Jr. High used to live on. Don't walk there often, and it was very nice. The temperature at 5:30 was 75* and is expected to hit 105* today. We are breaking heat records daily this week. :\

My eating has not been wonderful. I don't know what happened to bring it on, but I had a day of "eat all the things" and haven't really recovered from that. The scale went up several pounds and has stuck there. DAMMIT. Well, for one thing, I thought I'd be continuing with soup front loading, but it's so hot, not really wanting soup, to make or eat. So I've been using salad or raw veg for my front loading IF/WHEN I think of it. But also, like last night's pecan pralines. Why? I didn't have them in the house, but had to stop at the grocery on my way home from my PT and there they were, calling my name. :\ Honestly. Also, sushi. Just gotta stop it.

Discipline, Heidi. Get a grip.

All right. Today is the 15th of June. Halfway through the month. There are 15 days left. Two weeks. As Jeff pointed out on the MWL thread this past week, we are looking to modify our behaviors. We aren't counting anything, just using the behavior check list for our eating habits. Don't drink your calories. Have a serving of low calorie density food as a starter for your meal. Avoid high fat foods (which I wonder why a cashew based not-cheese sauce recipe is included in the MWL recipes on the first page? but!!! since it's there, maybe I'll make some!) ... avoid flour products. Etc.

Thinking about this current derailing. My grandson's graduation party with it's metric ton of food was part of it, but also when I go to my PT job. Getting out of the house and away from people...FREEDOM!...and I get this attitude of "I eats what I wants" ... ??? or I permit myself a "treat" ? (after woah, a whole two days of compliance? gimme a break)

My go-to meal that I take with me is baked potatoes, sugar snap peas, and baby carrots. So I stop at the store for the peas and while there, I stop and get a sushi platter. Kroger has actual sushi chefs making their sushi. It's fresh and tasty, and 99.999% of the time, I get me some at least one evening. And it isn't vegan sushi, believe me. :oops: So. I need to stop that, but maybe I also need something besides a dried up little cooled baked potato and some raw vegs. Or, I need to have everything needed at home. No stopping at the store for the peas. Just take what you have at home...right?

okay. Half the month ahead of me. Just over two weeks. I'm gong to align myself with the MWL checklist. PERIOD. Nothing off plan. ZERO off plan. Heh, since the foods of the Pleasure Trap ARE addictions, I need to get my AA brain on: Today I will eat zero off plan.

And thanks to the redesign of the website, I am a bit excited about the recipes. I do enjoy the simplicity of greens, starches, and beans with a sprinkle of lime juice or whatever, but something saucy and gooey over my starch sounds good once in a while. Maybe I need to try out something new to liven things up and keep myself on plan.

Okay. Today I'm eating 100% on plan. Today I'm following the guidelines 100%
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:45 am

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

Guidelines for Healthy Eating in MWL book, page 67.
1. Eat until you’re satisfied
2. Graze
3. Allow time for digestion
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict variety I dunno about this one, especially for my PT take along meal of potato, peas, and carrots. For those four dinners "out" at least, I gotta find something yummy and tempting enough to steer me away from the sushi. And it has to be portable.

GUIDELINES FROM THE WML FORUM:

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
6. Eliminate any added oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

So...I included more than just the one set of guidelines. I'll follow the MWL forum guidelines, and keep them in front of my face more by posting them here daily. But I also like the simpler versions, and the MWL guidelines also include a list of reasons for exercise, etc. I mean, the resources are abundant. Let's DO THIS.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:04 am

Good morning, yes it is HOT.

One tactic when confronted with all that food at family gatherings is to tell people "Turns out that I am allergic to ____. It makes me sick, and I don't want to get sick again." And think about this: redefine 'treat'. So instead of having a sugary etc 'treat', what about a popsickle for a treat? Or for me, I love fresh cherries, pricey things! $5-8 a pound. But they are so good to eat, my special treats.

I often set my Intention before I step into a grocery store. I know exactly why I am going in there, what to buy, and I do talk to myself, "I don't want to eat ____ because it makes me sick, and I want to lose weight." Yes, I have to repeat it because the stores KNOW how to merchandise food! It is all around us. Put on your blinders, you are on a mission to get the the items on your list and nothing else! Don't 'window shop' in the grocery store. Walk right on by the sushi; don't even look at it.

You can do it. I know it is hard with work, family etc. But it really is in your power to do it.

good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am

Just as an FYI, the evolution of the guidelines is because as time passes and new research comes out and we have more experience working with people and applying the guidelines and research, we modify things. We make it better.

The current, most effective guidelines for the MWL are the ones posted in the MWL orientation each week. If you want simple, the 10 Points are the best and include a recommendation for activity. These are the ones we recommend.

MWL Guidelines and the MWL 10-Point Checklist.

PS you can go back and find a recommendation from Dr McDougall for Vitamin E for heart disease, which is not only not recommended anymore, but known to be potentially harmful.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:13 am

deweyswakms wrote:Good morning, yes it is HOT.

One tactic when confronted with all that food at family gatherings is to tell people "Turns out that I am allergic to ____. It makes me sick, and I don't want to get sick again." And think about this: redefine 'treat'. So instead of having a sugary etc 'treat', what about a popsickle for a treat? Or for me, I love fresh cherries, pricey things! $5-8 a pound. But they are so good to eat, my special treats.

I often set my Intention before I step into a grocery store. I know exactly why I am going in there, what to buy, and I do talk to myself, "I don't want to eat ____ because it makes me sick, and I want to lose weight." Yes, I have to repeat it because the stores KNOW how to merchandise food! It is all around us. Put on your blinders, you are on a mission to get the the items on your list and nothing else! Don't 'window shop' in the grocery store. Walk right on by the sushi; don't even look at it.

You can do it. I know it is hard with work, family etc. But it really is in your power to do it.

good luck, Marsha

Yum, I followed your advice and bought cherries after work last night. Walked past the sushi AND the pecan pralines :lol: I've been nibbling on them today. Pretty nice treat. And at the grocery store I'm usually good at walking past things. But there's some stress in my life at the moment, several things piled on top of each other...minor stuff, but lots of it all at the same time. Ugh. Emotional eating. This is why I think I need to up my food game. I've been eating really simple for weeks now, and need to add interest, in order to stop myself going off the rails.

Anyway. One day at a time. Today I'll eat 100% on MWL.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:37 am

JeffN wrote:Just as an FYI, the evolution of the guidelines is because as time passes and new research comes out and we have more experience working with people and applying the guidelines and research, we modify things. We make it better.

The current, most effective guidelines for the MWL are the ones posted in the MWL orientation each week. If you want simple, the 10 Points are the best and include a recommendation for activity. These are the ones we recommend.

MWL Guidelines and the MWL 10-Point Checklist.

PS you can go back and find a recommendation from Dr McDougall for Vitamin E for heart disease, which is not only not recommended anymore, but known to be potentially harmful.

In Health
Jeff

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the comment. I will follow the most current MWL. Just included the others for interest. Like, I appreciate the bullet list of why exercise is good...etc. I really do love the idea of changing behavior.

One Day At A Time.

Today I'm planning on making the Aloo Gobi from the MWL recipes on the website. I have the cauliflower and potatoes, and all the spices. Gosh, it's been a while. I'll cook rice, too. Currently we don't have any brown rice in the house, because the 25# bag of brown jasmine that I bought actually had an infestation of moths! They were in the big bag, and in my little bin that I put in the kitchen pantry...ugh. And larvae in there, too. Yuck. And I just haven't replaced it yet. I'll get some brown rice in, of course. But white rice until then. :nod:

I've also got the Asian Garbanzo Spread bookmarked. Can't wait to try that! It's also in the MWL list. Hopefully this will be just the ticket for keeping my head in the game.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:01 am

Well, I ended up making the Asian Garbanzo Spread/Dip instead of the Aloo Gobi. I'll make that today. I signed up for Imperfect Foods, which brings a box of groceries that doesn't fit the "look" of grocery store items: crooked cucumbers, dented oranges, etc. Yesterday's delivery has 9 Roma tomatoes, a bunch of cilantro, green onions, and large white onions...pico de gallo anyone? :unibrow: So I'll spin that together as well.

This morning's walk was very nice. I'm going a bit farther out and in different directions and today walked on a street with some of the prettiest houses. The pre-dawn time is just perfect. I rarely see anyone else, the birds are starting up their dawn chorus, houses are mostly dark but you see lights on inside some of them...early risers, eh? Yesterday I found THE coolest Little Library. We have lots of them scattered around, including one on our street. But this one was a little bit larger than average, with a couple of "sections"... Grown Up Books, Kids Books. And a little selection of pencils and bookmarks displayed in a cup. Anyway, yesterday I picked up a book "The Golem and the Jinni" and enjoying it so far. I'll take it to a different Little Library and swap for some other book...after sticking one of my Zentangle bookmarks in it. :)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. mostly
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. yes
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :oops: starlite mints...boy I love them.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :oops: scrambled egg samwich for dinner
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). yes
6. Eliminate any added oil. yes
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. bread with my samwich
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). yes
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. yes...this has been really good, overall. Eating to satiation and stopping.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). yes

Don't know what got into me with the scrambled egg samwich. I ate the second half of my lunch salad, and 20 minutes later I was still hungry and darned if scrambled egg didn't sound just right. :\ And tbh, I have been having whole wheat toast here and there, which is not MWL.

Today I will follow 100% MWL guidelines.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:07 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:
Yum, I followed your advice and bought cherries after work last night. Walked past the sushi AND the pecan pralines :lol: I've been nibbling on them today. Pretty nice treat. And at the grocery store I'm usually good at walking past things. But there's some stress in my life at the moment, several things piled on top of each other...minor stuff, but lots of it all at the same time. Ugh. Emotional eating. This is why I think I need to up my food game. I've been eating really simple for weeks now, and need to add interest, in order to stop myself going off the rails.

Anyway. One day at a time. Today I'll eat 100% on MWL.

Bravo. Our Oregon fresh strawberries are SO GOOD, so that's what I am getting today.
And bravo also on your body flirting with dropping into the teens. It will happen, just stay the course. I bet most of us here are 'stress eaters', we go to comfort food when Life overwhelms us. For me, when my old body hurts too much or when I am angry or tired (Fatigue Anger Tired = FAT), then I want to reduce that level of 'anxiety' by eating (cookies for me; at least I no longer eat a bag of chips). Now I spend time listening to my body, what are you telling me?! Oh, mostly you hurt and are tired. So go to bed, or take a nap or just lie down and read a book. A special treat is a hot Epsom salts bath.

Good luck. Keep working the plan! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:02 am

Okay, I made it through the weekend without going off plan! Well, I did have some avocado and olives with my salad for lunch yesterday. Weekends have been like "permission days" for a while now. Eat absolutely on plan for the week, and then on Saturday and Sunday, go nuts. (which in my case has been you know an egg samwich or some sushi...not, like, a whole pizza or a family sized bag of chips) So that feels good. Nothing off plan, though as I mentioned...avocado and olives aren't MWL.

And tbh, my Mondays and Tuesdays, when I have two short shifts at my PT in the evenings...I have an hour after clocking out at my FT job before clocking in at my PT. I've taken some advantage of this by stopping for sushi to eat at my PT job. So, to fix that I won't be leaving for my PT until it's "too late", and I have to go straight there without stopping.

I got to thinking about my Day of Eating All the Things, and the days following. I was on the prowl for something to put in my mouth, plain and simple. If I wasn't eating, I was wandering to the pantry and fridge to look for something. I was restless and fussy. Frustrated. Edgy. Ate some chocolate, had sushi twice...not the non-fish kind...some tortilla chips, some pistachios...just generally antsy and wanting to eat.

And the scale went up so that on Friday I had to enter a +2 for MWL weigh in, and I was pretty ticked off at myself, thinking Here I go again. Full on gung-ho, in the game 100% to out of control automaton following my appetite within a few weeks, and when am I REALLY going to set my face toward this goal?

Spent a day or two like that and a thought occurred to me: I felt out of control. I was not in charge; my emotions, my nerves, my appetite, my old habits, my addiction...they were in charge. And I didn't like it. It was craziness. Chaotic. And something just fell into place, in my head. Like a puzzle piece fitting in where it belonged. Click: you were not in control. Irrational forces were governing you. Click: you can eat on plan. Just eat on plan. :!:

There's a list of sins within the RC church. I think there's two types: Venal and Deadly. Venal sins aren't as dangerous to your eternal soul, but Deadly sins...those are hell-worthy. You are a GONER if you function in the Deadlies. I don't know all of them, but I do know that Gluttony is a deadly sin. Eating all the things, and letting your appetites control your behavior is a Bad Thing, Man. Even thinking outside THAT particular box...even if out of control appetites DON'T send you to Hell...I think they are damaging to your soul. There's something very trapped (see what I did there?) about pursuing the next delectable morsel, or the next feast, or the next muk bang. Something extremely unhealthy in stuffing your stomach past full, or eating when you're not hungry, or thinking about what the next meal will be WHILE CONSUMING THE CURRENT MEAL.

It is less than fully human to be consumed by food and thoughts of food, tastes of food, cravings for food. I'm not being my best self when I'm standing in front of the fridge AGAIN, looking for something ANYTHING to put in my face.

At any rate, this sudden epiphany on being out of control, and how much I didn't like it...and the settling in my mind: Just eat on plan. It's a change. It's like the little rebellion inside of me is over. That stubborn inner child, scolded for gaining weight since age 13 that says "Now I'm grown up. I'll eat what I want" just...got quiet.

And that's how I got through the "permission days" of Sat and Sun. And that is why I'm not leaving for my PT early enough to stop and get sushi. I think I'mma get out my copy of The Pleasure Trap and re-read it. Also The Starch Solution. Just going to bolster this little determination to get it right. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:05 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:I got to thinking about my Day of Eating All the Things, and the days following. I was on the prowl for something to put in my mouth, plain and simple. Click: you were not in control. Irrational forces were governing you. Click: you can eat on plan. Just eat on plan. :!:

I love how things, epiphanies, just show up! Yes, I do that too, want munchies. For me it is to reduce anxiety or boredom. So now I get a carrot or two and MUNCH on that. Really works for me. Working the jaw muscles, odd.

Anyway, make a plan and prepare for that time to/from the PT. Package some ON PLAN things (carrots, celery, a potato, apple, etc) and let yourself eat all/as much as you want. There are recipes for veggie wraps that might seem like sushi for you.

Keep going! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 am

Buns, I agree with both you and Marsha, it’s common to get the munchies when bored, or tired or whatever. The 2 key words are ON PLAN. I’m not that good about keeping carrot and celery sticks ready to grab in the fridge. I like them cut quite small so I am going to get better at prepping those every week. I have the carrots and the celery in the fridge, but just not ready to grab.

Also, when it comes to on plan, let’s face it sometimes you just don’t want a carrot or celery stick. Yesterday I made carrot cake oatmeal which is basically oats with shredded carrots and banana. It would be a very nice on plan snack as well.

Not sure if you read the other threads, but today in the lounge there is a post about cheating and JeffN highlights how Brand New Vegan has gained weight again even after suffering a stroke a year ago. I really really like what Ltldogg said which I’ve posted below. Perhaps you will also find it useful.

Erin

If you think Brand New Vegan was 99% complaint, I have some great swamp land to sell you!!!

Seriously, people lie, exaggerate and "forget" ALL the time. I'm guessing he was about 75% complaint. I've said it before and I'll say it again. IF YOU WANT TO BE HEALTHY, YOU HAVE TO DO HEALTHY. It's as simple as that. You have to follow a healthy diet as prescribed here by Jeff and John. Strive to be 100% complaint. I see people every single day on these forums writing in their journals who just don't get it and they just don't see the results. You have to set yourself up for success in advance by removing the bad and stocking up on the good, then not allowing yourself to slip nor making excuses. That bit of bad food didn't magically put itself in your mouth. YOU PUT IT THERE. Stop with the excuses.

Also, you don't get to interpret the McDougall Program to your liking and then still say you are McDougall compliant, because you are not. This is a huge point that has to be made as I see it ALL THE TIME on these forums.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals