My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:48 pm

I am doing pretty well today but not perfect (like I really want to be :roll: ). This morning was really cold and rainy so I went to the gym for my walk. This is one thing I have kept up since I retired more than 5 years ago. I have downgraded to just 1.5 miles a day lately but want to get back to my three miles. I did more than 1.5 miles today so that was good. I find that if I eat way off plan that my legs just feel so heavy ! Today I felt back to normal after my "up North" trip where salt must have been plentiful :lol: . I have lost more than 4 pounds since getting back and I figure it is all water weight. :duh:

Breakfast was oatmeal and a pear
Lunch was a big salad with balsamic vinegar for the dressing. I am really loving fennel chopped up in my salads ! So good ! With lunch I had potatoes, veggies and an oil free cheese sauce that was baked. It was good but not exciting. I guess that is a good thing. After that I slipped and had bread. My husband is baking bread again. I didn't have any yesterday but caved today. I was able to stop though so that is good. :nod:

Tonight is our book club night ! :) If not hungry before then I will have dinner afterward. It will be a bowl of the chili I made yesterday (and NO bread !). I have been thinking about making polenta.....I bet chili would taste good over polenta ! Will see what I have time for. The next book for book club is Dear Edward. I have just started it but it is good so far !

That's it for now ! I will be back !

-Marilyn
squealcat

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:07 pm

Ooh, Book Club sounds like fun. I'm trying to be part of an online book club, the gals from my PT job. We gather on Discord, but I haven't taken the time yet to figure it out. What are you currently reading?

I'm reading "Self Made Man" by Norah Vincent. She was a feminist who went "drag" to see how men actually have it in society. She learned how tough it actually is. The competition, the rejection, the insecurity. Our book club will be reading The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires, which is on hold at the library. meh. Maybe I won't be able to join in for that one. We'll see.

anyway, good on ya for the gym walk, and your food choices look pretty good! well done
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby squealcat » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:11 pm

Hi Buns ! I just finished reading A Woman is No Man. It was quite a discussion at our book club !! The old world ethnic practice of women abuse and the feeling that women were only good for cleaning, cooking and having / caring for babies and the importance of having MALE babies ! .... the book also brought out the fact that men didn't have it always so good either (but not as bad as women ). A couple of ladies in our group also were remembering their mothers getting the house and children so perfect for the arrival of their fathers at the end of the work day. Not abuse or anything but just different thinking back in the day. Getting the house all picked up and the meal on the table, etc. Just a lot of thoughts about it all. Very interesting !

Our next one is called Dear Edward. So far, I really like this one ! Pretty easy read and different from the last. I heard that a couple ladies said the ending is really good. I like good endings !

No exercise today but will be at the gym tomorrow morning, for sure ! I went to watch my grandson today. Not too much trouble with eating but there was a piece of cake..... but I did not get into their snack cupboard !! :-D I had the chili I made a few days ago over potatoes and it was very satisfying ! Always have a salad too !

Steel cut oats for breakfast with blueberries and then supper was chili again, salad and then broccoli. All done for the day, YAY !

Have to go ! Be back maybe tomorrow. I am going away for the weekend. Scrapbook weekend with some ladies ! Looking forward to it !

-Marilyn
squealcat

Postby Ejeff » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:36 am

Marilyn enjoy the weekend away with the girls! I agree Chili is very good over potatoes and even just salsa is nice.

Thank you for the book recommendation Dear Edward. I downloaded it from the library and will start reading it today, looking forward to it.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby squealcat » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:44 pm

I had a very fun weekend with my friends ! Got a lot of scrapbooking done but still have more to go. Maybe in March when we meet up again !

exercise today: walked a little over 2 miles at the gym.

Breakfast: a bit different today. I had a purple sweet potato with black beans and a chopped up pear all heated up with cinnamon topping
Lunch: salad with balsamic dressing and a little tahini and I chopped up tempeh and put on top. That tempeh has been in my fridge for a long time. I needed to use it up. It made a good addition to my salad. I also had a banana.
Dinner: will be steamed veggies, small salad with a little balsamic vinegar and.....oh ! lentil soup ! No fruit. Trying to get away from having 3 fruits a day. I think it became a habit and I had trouble breaking it. Not terrible but still....needed to get away from it.

Feeling pretty good today. I had such sore legs and feet for a couple of days but today was so much better.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:46 pm

Hi Marilyn, :-D

Your scrapbooking weekend sounds really awesome!!! My Mother-in-law used to do amazing things with this... OMG!!!

Also, loved what you said on different breakfast... intrigued!!!

Hope that you have an amazing week!!!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:08 pm

No exercise today. I watched my grandson. Will go to the gym tomorrow.

Breakfast: I repeated yesterday's breakfast today. I ran out of black beans though so part of my beans were another kind (a little firmer )..I like black beans better. Soooo....purple sweet potato, beans and chopped up pear...all heated up and cinnamon/cardamom on top. I really like this. Oatmeal (which I love ) doesn't really hold me well so I tried this and it really lasts in my tummy until lunch time.

Lunch: large salad with a mix of grapes and orange pieces on top. Balsamic vinegar for dressing. I put a veg pattie on top. It is almost dinner and I am hungry. I guess that is really good !

Dinner: will be a smaller salad, steamed veggies , balsamic vinegar, and lentil soup. That should do it !

Not much else to report. My brother (younger than me) is at the Heart Center here in town. He had a heart cath done and stent placed. He has had some chest pain and one night it was bad enough to wake him up. He went to the hospital and "no heart attack" but they wanted to do more tests. Glad he followed up. He is not plant-based.

-Marilyn (squealcat)
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:27 pm

I see my journal is way far down the list ! Almost 2 months since I was here !

I am doing well ! I changed a couple of things. I no longer am walking 3 miles like before. I got a nasty case of shin spints !! Ouch ! I kept on walking because the pain went away by the time I got out to walk but that did not help me at all !! I now walk for about 15 minutes and then use a recumbent bike for the rest of the time. I am being more diligent about doing stretches too !
Another change? I finally am getting used to weighing myself on the first Sunday of each month. Yes, once a month ! I am trying to not focus on those numbers but also once a month I have seen a nice weight loss and that is encouraging to me :nod: ! I think about my weight less and less and think about my health journey more and more !

Food-wise, I have not had bread or sugar for two months. My meals really are the same. I don't snack. I eat three times a day and don't get hungry in between. I didn't get hungry before but I was sneaking bits of things before and I haven't had much of an urge to do that now. If I do, I just get curious (as Dr Judson Brewer says ) and note that I am feeling that way, take some breaths, think about how I would feel physically and mentally if I indulged.....it really helps me a lot to make the right choices ! I still love my oatmeal and fruit and salads !!

Anyway, I thought I would check in and wish all of you a very merry Christmas and wonderful New Year !!

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:20 pm

Hi Marilyn, :)

Great to "see you" here!!! Glad you are doing well!

Hope your shin splints heal quickly --- cool that you switched up your routine!!!

Wishing you and your family a meaningful and festive holiday season!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:53 am

I just had to come back for a minute and see who is here. I am still eating WFPB without sugar or flour. I eat lots of veggies and still have steel cut oats almost every morning. I changed things up though and am no longer MWL so I am not on that board. I write in my journal (actual pen and paper ) many times a week so I have not been here. I am happy to report that I am getting closer to my maintenance weight ....maybe 20 more pounds to go. MWL felt a bit too unstructured for me (crazy, right?) so I am using more structure in my day including meditation every morning. So I just wanted to say "HI" to all of you that may remember me. I am doing very well and think of you often. Who knows? I may be back at some point. I am happy where I am right now though.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Ejeff » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:11 am

Marilyn, nice to hear from you! So glad it’s going great for you. That’s wonderful that you are journaling and meditating. Way to be disciplined. Happy starching to you and I wish you more continued success!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals