My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:36 pm

Exercise: 3 mile walk at the gym

Breakfast:
steel cut oats
blueberries

Lunch:
very large salad
my hummus and balsamic vinegar for dressing
banana
Japanese sweet potato

Dinner:
cauliflower soup
broccoli
2 small yellow potatoes
pear

There! I got myself through this day without much trouble. I needed to do this as the last 2 weeks have been rough. Now on to tomorrow ! I don't usually have much trouble in the evening. I drink sparkling water and watch TV with my husband. I look forward to tomorrow because I love my Sunday relaxing morning. I will have to keep busy with things in the afternoon in order to keep away from eating foods that are problems for me. I can do that !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby moonlight » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:18 am

Hi squealcat,

Are you aware of Chef AJ's Health Summit? She has a 4 or 5 day summit going on now. It's free. There's 5 videos a day with great lectures from Drs. McDougal, Goldhamer, Furhman, and many more. It started yesterday and I got some good information that is very motivating for staying on the WFPB diet. You might want to check it out. :)
moonlight

Postby squealcat » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:34 am

Yes, Moonlight. I did see Chef AJ's summit. I have listened to them before and may listen a bit this week. There are a few good speakers there that I enjoy. I listened to one yesterday but it repeated things I already knew. I will check it out today again.

I read over Wildgoose's writings this morning that were posted in Mark's last comment on the February MWL board. I felt empowered and even copied one of them to read over and over again. She is someone who has gone through what I have and has come out the other side wiser, lighter and healthier. I so appreciate her words of wisdom.

Today is my lazy day. I always watch the CBS Sunday Morning show , drink a couple cups of decaf coffee (my treat for the week) and then have my steel cut oats with pear on top. Pears are especially good this year and I have enjoyed them a lot. I buy them every week. I have been thinking about grapefruit lately and I think I will get a couple of those this coming week too.

I have some scrapbook pages to work on today. I already drew a zentangle design that turned out pretty good. It looks like an octopus tentacle. I want to try again making some parts a little thicker. I will soak some salad seeds to sprout and a pea mix that I love. I think those pea sprouts will taste good on rice so will cook up some brown rice too.

Michigan is still a very cold state to live in but I see that a lot of the country is in this cold wave too. I do see some warmer weather coming up though. I hope to walk outside once again in a couple of weeks.

That is all for now. I ramble but it helps me think about my day and this coming week. I may come back and post what I ate today in addition to breakfast but not sure.

Ok, I am back. I already wrote about my breakfast today.
Lunch:
large salad
Japanese sweet potato

mid-afternoon:
banana nice cream with a little added almond milk to thin since I don't have a high speed blender

Dinner:
veg soup
spinach, baked yellow potato, chick peas

that's it for today! Hope to be back tomorrow !

Happy Valentine's day !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Exercise:
3 mile walk at the gym. Still too cold and slippery outside.

Breakfast:
steel cut oats
pear

Lunch:
large salad
brown rice and bean soup
banana

Dinner:
veg soup
brussel sprouts
half of a sweet potato
orange

That is it for today. Nothing special going on today. Got some reading done, laundry etc. Will decide in the morning if I will go out for groceries. Suppose to get snow tonight....maybe 3 inches. I may go to the gym and see how things are and then decide. I hate pulling the grocery cart through snow to get to my car. Maybe it won't be bad.

So glad I got through another day. I was getting the urge to eat something I shouldn't but was able to think about other things and that urge went away. Yay ! I know I have to go through this for a few more days so it gets easier..

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:25 pm

I am going to take a break from posting on this board for the duration of Lent. Trying to quiet things down and think about spiritual things. I will still be posting on the MWL board each Friday but probably keeping it shorter. I am sticking with the basics and simple foods.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:20 am

Since I had a gain this week (1.3 pounds), I am going to post what I am eating each day for the next week. It will just tighten it up a bit and keep my mind in the right place. I also measured myself today and compared it to measurements from January. I was happy to see an almost 5 inch difference ! I am almost out of the obese category so maybe I can make it into the overweight zone after this week. Hope so ! :nod:

Anyway, keep track of how I do here but just an FYI, I eat pretty boring-ly :lol: !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Here goes for day #1 of the April 9 through 15 week:

Breakfast: steel cut oats and blueberries

Lunch: very large salad, potatoes, broccoli and cheeze sauce made with potatoes and carrots, oh, I had grapes too

Dinner: mashed potatoes made with 1/3 cauliflower, pea soup, a kale, tomato and butter bean mix over the potatoes

Note: dinner was a little wonky because I got a call from my daughter. I had to pick up my granddaughter because my daughter and her husband had to take their youngest (with special needs) to the ER to be checked out. He was not doing very well all day and despite interventions, was still worrisome. So off to the Children's ER. Big sister is staying overnight with us. Thus, a lot of interruptions with dinner etc. My granddaughter is vegan so that makes eating a little easier. She had some of my mashed potatoes , pasta, cucumbers. Usually has more veggies but that got messed up too.

Life happens !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Day 2 of this week:

Breakfast: Steel cut oats over spinach (yes, it is really good !) , mango

Lunch: very large salad with balsamic vinegar and my hummus for dressing, potatoes with cauliflower and my cheeze sauce

Dinner: mushrooms, salad sprouts, banana, mashed potatoes and pea soup

Later: since my granddaughter is here for another night, I popped popcorn while we watched a movie. I ate half of it ! :crybaby:

I am ready to get back to normal but little Felix is still in the hospital and his parents want to stay with him much of the time. It sounds like he is better but still on oxygen and IV fluids. Struggling to get an 8 year old to bed etc....is very tiring! It is also very hard for her and she talks all the time now about going home and sleeping in her own bed. Will see what happens.

I thought this week would be a good one for eating all plain and simple. I am trying but it seems tough right now. At least I have food all made. Trying not to make excuses. :roll:

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:32 am

Day 3 of 7:

Breakfast:
steel cut oats, oat and grain sprouts, mango, chopped spinach and green sprouts, splash of almond milk

Lunch: large salad made up of broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and salad sprouts topped with balsamic vinegar and what's left of my hummus (need to make some more !) and a large Japanese sweet potato

Dinner:
a medium sized egg plant (baked), mashed potatoes with pea soup over, pineapple for dessert

Many trips to the bathroom today. I must be losing that water-weight :nod:

plan to make a trip to the health food store to get more Japanese sweet potatoes and maybe oat groats and farro. My granddaughter went home with mom and dad this afternoon. She needed to get back with them and my husband and I need the rest ! :-D Little Felix is still in the hospital but sounds like he will soon be home. He is acting more like himself now and is happier. That is good ! Thursday is my day to watch him while mom and dad work. I am sure I will see him them.

See you tomorrow ! :)

squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Day 4 of 7:

Breakfast:
large sweet potato with pineapple

Lunch:
large salad with beans , balsamic vinegar
mashed potatoes and pea soup

Dinner:
strawberries and banana
mashed potatoes and a Monkey and Me recipe made with tomatoes, lima beans and kale
cauliflower

That's it for today. Walked 3 miles today as well.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:40 am

Day 5 of 7:

I am typing this on day 6 . Day 5 didn't end so well but I am reporting anyway. I awoke at 1:30 in the morning on day 5 with diarrhea for some unknown reason. Still don't know. I ate all the usual things except an eggplant the day before and some mixed beans I had taken out of the freezer. I also had a runny nose and sneezes which I hadn't had in over 4 years ! I slept on the couch after that and had a couple more "episodes" before it all calmed down. This is the preface to my day.

Breakfast: (very late morning.....I was starving !)
old fashioned oats and banana

Lunch: (decided to not have the large salad as my tummy was still gurgling)
pea soup and mashed potatoes

In the afternoon I started having cravings for the old comfort food and snacks......and I caved in. :crybaby: Saltines (maybe 6), a bowl of granola, walnuts from the freezer, then 1.5 slices of my husband's homemade bread (with dairy-free butter on top :oops: ). I also had some blueberry chia pudding which is not that bad but I was saving chia seeds for AFTER my weight loss was completed. Oh, and there was more (Don't want to drive anyone off the rails :roll: ).

In the midst of that I cooked up some brown rice and then oat groats to save myself.

That is my day. All done now with this report. It will get better from here, I promise myself ! :nod:

I DID get outside for a mile walk on this day too.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:49 am

Day 6 of 7:

Breakfast:
oat groats, splash of plant milk, handful of sprouts on top (trying to stick to 2 fruits today so thought using sprouts on my oats may help)

Lunch:
pea soup, pineapple....then strayed and started eating bread, etc.

Dinner: I had a very late lunch so not hungry

Starting to think that journaling what I eat was not such a good idea. I was doing better when I was not writing down all I ate. On the other hand, this has been an awkward week taking care of my granddaughter, worrying about my grandson and having my schedule turn upside down. Will so how tomorrow goes. I know weighing this week will not be what I want it to be but I have done this before and turned it around. I can do it again.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:47 am

Day 7 of 7:

Breakfast: (not hungry until 12:00) I had a banana before taking a walk this morning
oat groats, cauliflower, oat sprouts and a splash of plant milk

Lunch: (planned ahead)
large salad with balsamic vinegar and my hummus on top
Japanese sweet potato

Dinner: (planned ahead)
small salad
steamed greens
rice and butterbean and kale mix
fruit

exercise: 3 mile walk outdoors. 38 degrees and windy but the walk felt so good ! Glad I didn't put away my winter coat !
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Ok, I didn't plan to post what I ate today and I did SO much better. This is what I ate:

Breakfast:
Oat groats, blueberries, splash of almond milk and some grain sprouts over all

Lunch:
very large salad with balsamic vinegar and my hummus for dressing, brown rice with butter beans and kale

Dinner:
steamed swiss chard, brown rice, bean soup, a whole grapefruit (YUM !)

I hope to have a much better week. Maybe will post again this week but not sure.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:12 am

I have had a tough couple of weeks after several very successful weeks. I don't know why. I tried journaling my food......didn't work.
I tried to white knuckle it.....and then unexpected food appeared and all went "to pot".

Now I brought out my old habit tracker notebook that has lines for my habits that I want to practice and checkmark boxes for my accomplishments. I wrote in the 10 MWL points with three lines for each point so I can checkmark each meal when I am successful. I purchased this notebook on Amazon. I didn't start using this tracker right away.....again, I don't know why....but today is the day.

I am so puffy from sodium and water weight gain that I feel uncomfortable. I am sure there is fat too.

I started my morning with my usual 3 mile walk. That felt good ! I keep up on my walking no matter what. In my mind, walking has nothing to do with my weight. I do it for strength, endurance, health and it is my prayer time too. At the end of my walk I listened to a YouTube video of the Esselstyne ladies making veggie burgers. I LOVE that mother/daughter team and they cheer me up !

Today is a no added salt day and a drink a lot of water and green tea day. I have to get rid of this puffiness ! Today I will use my habit tracker and keep busy and keep myself out of trouble. I need a few good days and I will be back to being myself again.

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals