My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby Trinity » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:46 pm

Good luck tomorrow! Glad you had a nice trip to Chicago, it sounded wonderful!
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:01 pm

Thank you Stephanie and Trinity for your good wishes !

Today went very well !

Exercise: walked 1.5 miles in the morning and again after getting back from watching my grandson. Not quite 10,000 steps but I was pretty sweaty after that last walk and will not be going back out. 9,000 is enough!

Breakfast: steel cut oats and mixed berries
Lunch: large salad with various greens, cukes, peppers, tomatoes, chick peas and chopped up Japanese sweet potato with balsamic vinegar. Also an apple
Dinner: half of a personal watermelon (after that sweaty, hot walk ) , cauliflower (steamed) , brown rice with sloppy lentils over it, tea to end my meal and end my food for the day.

I was pretty committed today to stick with MWL. I have had trouble sticking with how I (really) want to eat. Today was a 10/10 on the MWL scale ! Thank you all who have encouraged me and given me ideas and new ways to think about things.!!

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Ejeff » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:37 am

Glad you had a great day Marilyn! So wonderful you were able to do some art with your granddaughter too.

You got a lot of exercise, way to go getting in walks twice! I played Pickleball twice yesterday, that’s not my usual plan, but I went in the morning as the weather forecast showed a lot of rain later in the day. The forecast wasn’t accurate and my evening session went ahead as planned. I don’t mind keeping active more than once a day, but I try not to over due things as shoulder is still healing.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby squealcat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Exercise today: Walked 1.5 miles (maybe 35 minutes? ). I like to do 3 miles but it was getting too hot for me. Tomorrow I will go to the gym to get my walk in.

Breakfast: had some steamed cabbage first then a bowl of steel cut oats with 1/4 cup of butter beans mixed in and berried on top. I talked about trying this with Artista . The beans were fine in with the oats and I can't say I could taste them. I think they helped me to feel content longer after breakfast. The veggies with the first meal??? not a fan. I probably won't do that again.
Lunch: large salad with balsamic vinegar as the dressing, a half cup of garbanzo beans and leftover rice with lentils (small amount)
Dinner: broccoli and a large bowl of potato leek soup (recipe from Forks Over Knives and inspired by Ruff :unibrow: ). I was still hungry after this so had one of my homemade black bean burgers on bread. After that I was finished.

For today as far as MWL goes, I was 8/10 (bread and also mayonnaise :\ ) Glad I was able to stop myself. Bread is a big problem for me. I can eat half a loaf. I need to stay away from that !

Today was a pretty good day for me. I did not binge on anything so I am happy about that :) .

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Artista » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:32 pm

You're doing great, Marilyn! I have that same problem with bread, if it's in my house I will eventually overeat it. The potato leek soup sounds delicious, I may have to look up that recipe. There are only a few vegetables I can eat for breakfast: green beans or lightly steamed arugula, but it took time to get to that point. The arugula is my favorite but it might not appeal to everyone. Fortunately eating vegetables at breakfast is not required. Not bingeing on anything is a really big deal so really well done on that! :-D
Artista

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:15 am

Hi Marilyn, :D

Glad to hear that you are doing great!!!

Have been having similar challenges with the walking in the heat! UGH! Watermelon sounds like a wonderful after-walk cool off snack! Last summer I was making gazpacho which was also refreshing in the heat.

Saw your post above on the sloppy lentils (one of my favorites). Wanted to ask if you have ever tried this on top of lettuce? I make the sloppies all of the time and usually eat over potato or rice. A couple of weeks ago, I spooned a bunch on top of a salad --- and I am in love....

Hope you have an excellent 4th of July weekend!
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:00 pm

Exercise today: I walked 3 miles at the gym and then went shopping later which gave me 10,586 steps for the day !!

Breakfast: butter beans mixed with steel cut oats and also mixed berries
Lunch: large salad with balsamic vinegar as the dressing (I need to make some of my hummus tomorrow for my salads as I am out of it right now), also a half cup of chick peas and a couple of potatoes with mustard and a banana
Dinner: watermelon :) and probably potato and broccoli (after my husband gets out of the kitchen)

Just got back from visiting with my youngest son and his wife. They wanted to show me their new and first apartment. They were so proud of it and happy ! Made me happy to see those newlyweds so well settled in and loving their life. :-D

Ok, now I can finish making my dinner. Husband is out of the kitchen :nod:

Another great day today with no binge eating. I thought about it earlier but had a conversation to myself and that urge went away. I am feeling so much better. I am sure I got rid of a lot of water weight as my legs feel lighter and walking around feels much easier.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:33 pm

I just want to say congratulations about resisting the binge. I know that is not easy and its a huge achievement...so WELL DONE YOU!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby squealcat » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Thanks Ruff for your nice comment !

Exercise today: walked at the gym and other places and got over 10,000 steps in again today. :-D

I took my blood pressure this morning before my walk and was shocked that it was a lot higher than usual : 142/86 :crybaby: . After my walk it was a lot better : 123/75 :| So what happened??? I really don't know but I suspect that my terrible eating the last month and a half had something to do with it. I have been so proud that I got rid of my BP meds a year ago and look what happened !! I am thankful for this though.....showed me that I have to be vigilant and keep up the good eating.

Breakfast: steel cut oats and blueberries along with some greens. Forgot to add butter beans to my oats.
Lunch: a peach and then a few (5? ) small yellow potatoes. Had to eat something fast because we had to go to mass shortly after that.
Dinner: large salad, chick peas, balsamic vinegar, pasta recipe using oil free sauce (ate half of that ) and some watermelon

Another day without binging :nod: . I will check my BP again tomorrow morning before and after my walk. Will be interesting to see what it is.

That is it for today ! Enjoy your weekend ! ours will be quiet. No plans.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:29 pm

Hi Marilyn! :)

Awesome on another 'no binging' day!!!

Wanted to let you know that you inspired me to buy watermelon yesterday... sounded delicious after a hot walk!!!

Hope that you and your family have a great 4th!

Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:52 pm

Exercise today: Walked 3 miles outdoors today. It was hot but still felt good to get out. Since I have been eating better, walking has been easier. My legs don't feel like lead. Maybe water retention was the culprit.

Breakfast: steel cut oats, some greens, butter beans and blueberries
Lunch: greens again and potato soup
Dinner: (will be) large salad with chick peas on top , balsamic vinegar and my hummus as dressing. Also a peach

Another day with no bingeing ! :-D I think just concentrating on that one thing has helped me. I also make sure I am not hungry as I have found that hunger really makes me look around for all the wrong food.

It was a quiet 4th of July for us. I have been reading "The Great Alone" by Kristan Hannah. I like her writing and am enjoying this one. It is a big book and will take me a while to read. Our newest book club book has been announced for the end of August and is "Memphis" by Tara M Stringfellow. It is her first book and looks like it gets very good reviews. I may have to put it on my kindle. I can read it on my vacation the beginning of August.

Hope all of you are well and enjoyed your holiday weekend !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:17 pm

You’ll have to tell us what you thought of “The Great Alone.” I learned a lot about Alaska, I think. I liked the one of hers that was historical fiction about the Dust Bowl though I can’t remember what it was called.
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:03 pm

I will let you know how I like the book about Alaska. It will take me a bit to get it done. Hope to finish by the end of the month. I am a slow reader. I have not read the one about the dust bowl. I will look it up! Thanks ! I feel like we are having a mini book club here ! :nod:

Exercise today: none Watched my grandson and it was too hot when I got home to do any walking around. Probably Thursday I will be walking and itching to get out .

Breakfast: fruit and veggies
Lunch: large salad with balsamic vinegar for the dressing and my homemade hummus, also a Japanese sweet potato
Snack: two small yellow cooked potatoes with mustard and a peach
Dinner: steamed asparagus and mashed potatoes followed by a banana

no binging today. I think this is 7 days with no binge. Wheew ! I feel a lot more like myself now. I must be on guard for quite a while (or forever). I know how it goes. Before this past week my knees were feeling sore (I still was walking though) and my face was puffy and I generally just did not feel well (but not really sick ). Hard to describe the feeling. I am trying to be aware of all these feelings. I don't want to go back I want to go forward.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:12 pm

exercise today: none (I will tomorrow )

Food today: steel cut oats, blueberries, banana, yellow potatoes, greens, tomatoes, mashed potatoes , my hummus, balsamic vinegar ..... I think that is it. Doesn't sound like much but it was ! Lots of greens and lots of potatoes :nod: . Oh, also had steamed asparagus too !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:39 pm

I had a full week with no bingeing and I messed up today. I went to get groceries and was just starting to get hungry. I ate about 3 small potatoes but apparently that was not enough. Next week I will eat a full lunch before going there. I am disappointed in myself but I know that I can learn from this and continue on. I just wish there was a secret ingredient or something ..... or a instant cure ! :lol:

Onward I go ! :roll:

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals