Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:17 am

Why did I have to log in twice to get to this forum? hmmm

Breakfast today was a banana, cup of raspberries, and my favorite potato concoction: a couple of Yukon gold potatoes, shelled edamame, corn and peas, boiled in water until the potatoes are done (4-5 mins?), rough mash, season, eat. I am still hungry so will try a bit of avocado on toast. I seem to need most of my calories in the morning. Broccoli and spinach later, plus the last of the yummy veggie chili with rice.

Honestly, I am glad we are getting some warm weather here in the NW; I may regret this in a month or so!

I will walk later, and my old body is enjoying the Essentrics stretching programs.

Hope you are all healthy. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:56 am

Saturday June 19, 2021

I committed to MWL for at least a month, and now I am back to being hungry all the time. Yes, I know, eat more food. I don't want to eat all the darn time! and it doesn't give me the satiety I need.

I started the morning with the easy stew recipe in the McDougall cookbook (2 cans stewed tomatoes, 1 can corn and 1 can black beans drained). Ate a bowl, still hungry. I know my body needs a bit of fat to feel full. I could try avocado except I really don't like it very much. UPDATE: 30 minutes after eating a bowl of the 'easy stew', the hunger is mostly gone. Huh. So maybe just don't freak out over being 'hungry'.

Later today I will make the beans & berries recipe in the McDougall cookbook; it is easy AND filling. And I'll prep a lot of potatoes to go with the veggie chili, plus broccoli too. Dinner will be oatmeal.

Thank goodness for fresh cherries; my arthritic hips really don't hurt if I eat 4-5 a day. Now to find some fresh strawberries!

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:42 am

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Just checking in. Down another pound, I love the motivation seeing those results on the scale. Last couple of days I 'got real' about working the MWL program, especially the guideline about a 50/50 plate (starches and non-starchy veggies).

My fridge has prepped food for a few days. Love the 'beans & berries' recipe in the McDougall quick & easy cookbook because it is easy to prepare AND filling (potatoes, white beans, wheat berries). And the 'international stew' recipe from same cookbook is my 1st thing in the morning food along with food. Yesterday I got a pint of delicious Oregon strawberries; oh myyyyy. So good.

I have potatoes already prepared, at least another meal ready of one of Jeff N's 'fast food' concoctions. FEN - fast, easy, nutritious. I always start with a drained & rinsed can of black beans, a can of seasoned tomatoes (I like spicy), then add some frozen veggies, seasonings, let it simmer before I add greens. This time I had bok choy to use up, and added spinach at the last couple of minutes. Serve over potatoes.

Unseasonably hot temps arrive here in the NW (20+ degrees above normal, or this is the new normal I guess), so I am off now for my long walk. Later, start a painting. Have a good day, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am

Wednesday June 23, 2021

Fans going to cool down the home, so thankful for some a/c as we approach record setting heat this weekend (103 to 104, not good for NW Oregon). So planning cooking time accordingly. I will probably do a crockpot of veggie chili today.

Breakfast is raspberries, cherries and half a banana. Then some greens with the international stew recipe (stewed tomatoes, corn, beans). Finish the last of my 'Jeff N fast food' meal, with potatoes, although I may cook some rice too. Oatmeal for dinner.

Craving the no-tuna garbanzo bean salad, so thinking of doing that one tomorrow. It's so good with romaine lettuce instead of bread.

Stay healthy and cool everybody, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:17 am

Saturday, June 26, 2021
The Pacific NW is looking at record-breaking heat, 111+ for the next 3 days. Thankful for some a/c, but many people don't have it because it is 'normally' temperate here. Sadly climate change is here.

I lost 1.8# I think last week; doing the MWl June weigh-in group, will do July at least too; I want to lose a few more #s, and keep them off!!

I am loving the 'no tuna' salad; perfect cool for this weather. I eat it over a bed of mixed romaine lettuce and other greens. I use the basic recipe but I add to it: 1 celery stick chopped up, 1 carrot that I slice thinly on the mandolin, I had maybe 1/4 cup of dried cranberries which I added, and maybe 1/4 cup of walnuts which I roughly chopped; also I add 1-2 tablespoons of pickle relish. Rinse and drain 1 can of garbanzo beans, I do a rough mash of them using a pastry cutter. Season to taste; I like a bit of curry on mine. Then I do make my own version of a thin salad dressing - I add pickle juice, a squeeze of mustard, maybe a tablespoon of maple syrup (sweet to cut the acid), sometimes I add a tsp of vinegar, and I do use a couple tablespoons of mayo. Shake it all up in a jar, then lightly pour SOME of it on the ingredients. Mix, cool in refridgerator.

Off to get in my mile walk before it heats up here. I'll also prep split pea soup with celery, carrot and a couple of potatoes. Have a great day, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:40 am

Thursday July 1, 2021
Thank goodness June and excessive, record-setting, heat is behind us. Fingers crossed it doesn't return; back to normal, cool Pacific NW temps but the eastern part of WA and OR are broiling.

I lost a bit more weight; look forward to Friday's MWL July weigh-in. Still staying the course to lose more; no # in mind, just keep working the program.

Yesterday I made a really good Mexican Rice skillet dinner: 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed; half a pkg of frozen corn and peppers; 1 container of salsa; 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning (chili powder would work too); I added maybe 1/2 cup of water. Let it simmer. Served over brown rice; probably would be good over a baked potato.

And I am finishing up the split pea soup. I use a recipe that adds celery, potatoes and carrots; it makes A LOT so I freeze individual containers for those days when I just do not want to cook anything.

Need to replenish fruits today. Stay cool and safe, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:06 am

Tuesday July 6, 2021
Good morning, thankfully cool NW morning, inching back to the lo 90s and so bone dry; hoping for no fires this season.

Still a bit sleep deprived from the 4th fireworks storms all around; so foolhardy in our dry conditions.

Yesterday I made my trustworthy standby, veggie chili. Always so good, easy. I lost 1.8# last week and gained .4 back, I know it is just weird body fluctuations, but will double down for a couple of days. I really want to get to 175 and STAY there. I'll have the chili over potatoes, plus have salad greens to finish. I'll also make the no-tuna salad I like. Seasonal cherries and red plums are delicious.

I am out of veggies though so buy more today. Plus watermelon! so satisfying in the summer.

Out the door for my 1.5 mile walk.

Have a great day, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:35 am

Friday July 9, 2021
Lovely summer weather here in the Pacific NW, but bone dry; badly need rain which we won't see till maybe September.

I lost .4# last week, wanted more, but admit to a couple of slips mostly due to food boredom. Will try a couple of new recipes. Definitely helps to follow the 50/50 plate rule. I am so enjoying summer fruits now: watermelon! love it, and red plums. Cherries were hit hard by our record breaking heat; strawberries all gone, too soon.

Carry on! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Sunday 7/11/21
Today I need to prep food. So I will make the '1 pan Mexican quinoa' dish and no-tuna salad; both good ways to use up veggies.

Just had a lovely long walk ending at the store to buy cherries and peaches. I try not to drive 2-3 days out of 7, also refuse to buy fruits or veggies packaged in plastic; my small bit to reduce carbon footprint.

Measurements show I have lost 1-1.5" off hips, and 1" off waist. I thought my clothes felt looser.

Have several projects to keep me busy, but 1st have to finish this good book!

Stay healthy, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:49 am

Wednesday July 14, 2021

The West is literally on fire, and it makes me sad, and 'concerned' because the drought, heat, and fire will eventually impact food supplies. I am going to stock up again on staples of rice, beans, lentils, etc.

My weight hasn't budged for the last 5 days. Hmmm....Frustrating. These plateaus have happened before, so I just have to tweak my foods a bit. I will increase the quantity of veggies and potatoes.

Yesterday I finished the 'no tuna' salad made with garbanzo beans. It is SO TASTY (the way I make it), and so good on a big bed of romaine lettuce. The 1 pan Mexican quinoa dish is also easy, tasty and filling. Today I'll make another pot of the 'beans and berries' recipe which I really like. I have strawberries to prepare, and broccoli to steam.

But 1st, a walk.
Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:26 am

Friday July 16, 2021
Good morning, so grateful for the westerly winds off the Pacific which are keeping the forest fire smoke blowing to the East. The West is on fire; so very sad for people and animals. I am reminded that I need to get serious about making my 'go bags' ready. Just in case.

I stayed 97% MWL compliant this past week, but also hit a plateau as my weight stayed the very same for 7 days; ok, a -.2 lb loss today for July MWL weigh-in. I don't count it as a loss. Jeff N's post about hitting plateaus was very helpful. https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 1&#p272671

I definitely intend to hit my goal weight 1st (and maybe more), so this week I intend to double down even more, starting with raspberries now, the rest of the cherries (wonderful for arthritic hips and low back). Then potatoes/peas/carrots, so yummy. In other words, add more veggies with each meal (even though it seems VERY ODD to have peas and green beans with my oatmeal).

Be safe, covid and variants are surging. Be healthy, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:08 am

Saturday 7/17/21
I love the early morning ours, before the noisy world wakes up; bird songs, watching the sky light up. This is the time I ponder some writings. I love this quote which seems so appropriate for learning how to just eat MWL way: Repetition is not failure. Ask the waves, ask the leaves, ask the wind. We suffer with our bad food choices and behaviors as often as necessary, until we finally learn how to break them and to heal. I don't like this of course, but I am willing to learn the lesson.

Repetition: Today is food prep day, so will steam broccoli and potatoes, prepare the strawberries!, and do a fast & easy meal ala Jeff N's fast food approach. I have romaine lettuce to prep, and several tomatoes to use.

In the past, when I've done MWL, I get to 177, hit a plateau, hang out there and finally decide to stop. Not this time. I want to keep losing, so am thinking about how to change the energy in/out formula.

Happy weekend, stay healthy and safe, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:57 am

Sunday 7/18/21
I cracked the plateau I was at for the last 7 days. Did it by paying more attention to MWL guideline #2:
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method, half your plate (or meal in my case) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% minimally processed starches
So, green beans and some romaine lettuce with my morning oatmeal! It is weird, not the taste combinations I would choose, but who cares if the weight comes off! And it helps focus on food as fuel for the body and not a 'treat' or comfort food.

I still have delicious meals too. Today I'll make the 1 skillet Mexican quinoa recipe; very filling and so tasty.

I just had my 1st summer peach. OMG, so very good! Walking to the store now to buy more peaches.

Happy summer Sunday, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:56 am

Monday 7/19/21
I broke my plateau yesterday; today back up a small amount, but I know how to manage this.

Breakfast was last of the yummy strawberries with romaine lettuce and oatmeal. Later today I'll make another batch of the 'beans and berries' recipe which I just love (Fast & Easy Cookbook). Yesterday I made the skillet Mexican quinoa meal, but I burned it because I got into a painting, lost track of time! It may still be edible, with a 'smoky' flavor. I'll try it over a bed of lettuce with green beans.

So thankful for the westerly winds from the Pacific which blow the forest fire smoke east, makes it hard for those areas though. The West is on fire; so very tragic.

I have several projects to do around the house, so that will count for my exercise today.

Carry on! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:13 am

deweyswakms wrote:Follow the 50/50 plate method, half your plate (or meal in my case) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% minimally processed starches[/i]
So, green beans and some romaine lettuce with my morning oatmeal! It is weird, not the taste combinations I would choose, but who cares if the weight comes off! And it helps focus on food as fuel for the body and not a 'treat' or comfort food.

Just to clarify…. Quoting me…. :)

JeffN wrote: 4) Dilution is the Solution (the 50/50 guideline) - Dilute Out High Calorie Dense Foods/Meals - Dilute the calorie density of your meals by filling 1/2 your plate (by visual volume) with intact whole grains, starchy vegetables and/or legumes and the other half with non-starchy vegetables and/or fruit.

Fruit is included in the non starch 50%. Enjoy it

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals