Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby squealcat » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:25 am

Marsha, I replied to your reply on my journal. Thank you for your response !

I, too had a colon resection (maybe 15 years ago) for a polyp that was getting bigger despite the doc removing a good part of it via colonoscopy. Have had a few little ones removed since then but no other problems.

Do you think your pain could have been trapped gas? That can be pretty painful. I experienced that about a year ago and woke up my husband after a few hours thinking I needed to go to the ER. A while later I heard some gurgles and then I was just fine. I haven't changed anything about what I am eating. Fiber is so important to our microbiome I would hate to have to leave it out.

Anyway, best of luck and hope all that pain and bother never returns ! :nod:

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:40 pm

squealcat wrote:Marsha, I replied to your reply on my journal. Thank you for your response !

I, too had a colon resection (maybe 15 years ago) for a polyp that was getting bigger despite the doc removing a good part of it via colonoscopy. Have had a few little ones removed since then but no other problems.

Do you think your pain could have been trapped gas?

-squealcat

Yes, very painful trapped gas - like shards of glass in the lower gut; rigid belly - a couple of hours of diarrhea relieved it. I think probably combining 2 different kinds of beans that I haven't had before was the cause; maybe some weird chemistry happened. Gut still mildly sore so I am going to do soft and mild foods for awhile. So I am unsure right now about 'beans'! My favorite food too.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:01 am

Friday, Feb 5, 2021

I'm still here; took 3 days to get my GI tract working properly again after last Friday's very bad IBS episode. I love simple foods; just had oatmeal with ground flax seeds and some hemp hearts and an English muffin with peanut butter and honey. This will last me for hours. Today I'll make veggie chili (only with black beans! no more experimenting with different types of beans). I'll also have some raspberries and black cherries, plus finish an 'Envy' apple. They are very tasty. Later I will steam some spinach and broccoli.

Nothing too exciting but food is just fuel for me now. And I like how my food tastes.

Here in Oregon, I might get the covid vaccine by the end of February; will be eligible for it anyway, getting an appointment will be hard.

Meanwhile, our chilly rainy days continue; I'll walk today with an umbrella. Also I use a light box every day. And take vitamin D.

Exciting! ha, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:55 am

Sunday Feb 7, 2021 GO CHIEFS!!

Huh, I lost a pound. It still surprises me to see this, and ALL credit goes to eating this way. Last few days I have only had potatoes for my starch, so very satisfying.

One night I made my favorite meal: steamed red potatoes slightly mashed mixed with steamed peas, carrots, corn and edamame (think I will make this for breakfast today). Last couple of days I have made my version of Jeff's fast food; this time I used a bag of Asian style stir fry veggies, 1 can of rinsed and drained black beans, half a can of tomatoes with chilis, and diced bok choy; various seasonings; I really like bok choy; served over potatoes.

One yellow Opal apple and a banana daily, sometimes also raspberries and black cherries. The Opal apple is very tasty. I read that the Opal is the first U.S. apple to be verified by the Non-GMO Project.

Today I will make a pot of veggie chili to use up more veggies.

Stay healthy. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby creativeone » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:28 am

I saw your post about the beans - I cannot eat them either and I miss so many dishes made with them. One person in my family has the fatal peanut allergy (peanuts are a legume too) and a few of us seem to be sensitive to beans. The allergist did warn me against green peas, lentils and green beans too. I am very careful as I don't want a full blown allergic attack and keep an epi-pen. Years ago, I wrote and asked Dr. M. about the beans and he said not to worry, they are not a must, but I do admit some of the recipes do look great and I am sad not to have them. I imagine they must be filling too.

Since yours is IBS or gas related it might just be a period of adjustment and maybe eat a tablespoon to start or include the spices that cultures that are heavy bean eaters use such as cumin. Good luck - be well
ImageImage
creativeone

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:03 am

creativeone wrote:I saw your post about the beans

Hi. I love beans; have eaten them for years with no problem. Not sure what happened this time except I used 2 new types of beans that I don't normally eat plus a lot of other veggie fibers. And perhaps my now old GI tract needs more care. But I will only now eat the beans I have always had: black beans, pintos or white navy bean, plus I do like garbanzo beans. Peas and lentils are also good protein sources. Lately I have put shelled edamame into my recipes too.

thanks, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:10 am

Sat, Feb 13, 2021 snowy and icy here in Portland; 23 degrees; thankfully it 'should' melt by Monday. That's enough winter for me.

I am always amazed how much food I get from one medium-sized red potato. Breakfast today was 1 red potato cooked with some corn, peas and some shelled edamame, also added a few spinach leaves to it. I couldn't eat all of it! Snack later plus I have some leftover Egyptian red lentil soup. And I have more spinach to eat, plus half an Opal apple and some thawed raspberries. If that's not enough, I made veggie chili yesterday.

I MAY try a small walk outside later; depends how much ice is under the snow. My ice grippers for shoes work very well, but caution is still important.

I'll be eligible for the covid vaccine in a couple of weeks; and I look forward to getting it.

be safe and warm, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm

Monday Feb 15, 2021
The temps are back to the 40s; the ice and snow are melting so it's a slushy mess outside. Beats the last few days though.

I hit the wall on my cooking. My food is good, tasty and easy, but I am so bored with it! Tired of soups and veggie chili. I will try the Engine 2 NY Times veggie burgers.

I just browsed through the list of recipes from the McDougall newsletter, which I get. Nothing sparks my interest.

Need some new inspiration.

Hope it is warm where you are.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:38 pm

Saturday Feb 20, 2021
The sun is out so on my way out for a walk.

The latest McDougall newsletter inspired me to try polenta, so I have 1 cup of cornmeal and 5 cups of water in the slow cooker for 3 hours. Hope it works!

UPDATE: Dreadful!!

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 am

Monday Feb 19, 2021
Yesterday I made the 'beans and berries' recipe in the McDougall quick & easy cookbook. It is one of my favorites. I 1st made veggie stock from leftover veggie peelings. Very flavorful, and that was the 5 cups of liquid I added. I also used plenty of curry/turmeric seasoning (I don't care for cumin). It is so tasty!

A pineapple express aka 'river of rain' is moving in from the Pacific, so if I must go NOW to get in a walk, even in the wind and scattered rain drops.

Later I will make the NY Times bean burgers (from the Engine2 diet cookbook).

I am now eligible for the covid vaccine; good luck to me trying to get an appointment though. The online site often fails on the last fw questions, then start over. Oh well.

Stay safe, warm and dry.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:52 pm

Saturday March 20, 2021

I am still here! Bored with my cooking even if it is very tasty, so am making recipes from the Power Plates cookbook. Today I made the Smoky Red Lentil Stew. It is very good! but I lost the crunch by steaming the final chard, bok choy and some cabbage too long. But I like it and will make it again. Plus it has many nutrients in it.

Got vaccine shot #1; #2 on the 30th. YAY!

Hope you all are well.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun May 02, 2021 9:58 am

Sunday May 2, 2021
Good morning,

I am still here. Every time I think I am bored with my breakfast, I discover again how tasty and satisfying it is. I love my oatmeal with ground flax and hemp hearts. I also enjoy an English muffin with it with peanut butter and some homemade blackberry jam. That may not be 100% compliant but I don't care; life is too short to not enjoy a few things. And this keeps me satisfied for hours.

Today I think I will make split pea soup (with carrots, celery and potatoes in it).

Have a good day!

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

Wednesday June 12, 2021

Well, I went off the ditch into Candy Land, gained 4 lbs. That stops today. Darn it, and I know better. I let my achy and tired body control my urges, thinking I need sugar to give me energy to make it through my days. Admittedly they can be long monitoring two 10 year old 4th grade boys and their online Zoom school. But that ends in 3 more days!! My family has been lucky to have 2 grannies who can do this but I won't do it again.

Anyway, back to setting my food and exercise intentions daily, and back to MWL guidelines for awhile. This morning I had salad greens half a banana, and I just enjoyed a bowl of Moroccan lentil soup with a couple of potatoes. I'll probably have the oatmeal for dinner (I think it spikes my blood sugar in the morning and makes me so tired). And later I will do a 'Jeff N fast food' meal.

Off for a walk in our lovely NW spring day. The sunshine and exercise elevate my mood.

That's my story, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:25 am

Sunday June 13, 2021

The West and NW are in such a drought; ominous for fire season. We had a lovely soaking rain all night, got enough rain (1-1.5") which is more than all of April and May combined. We are 7 inches below normal for rain.

Already lost 2 #s just by cutting out cr*p food and back to (mostly) MWL guidelines. It always works, plus it is so tasty. For breakfast, I just finished my latest 'Jeff Novick fast food' meal with Jasmine rice; yes, white rice but I like it and it reliably cooks in just 15 minutes. These meals are so easy! basics for me are 1 can of beans (I like black beans) rinsed and drained, 1 can of 'mild' Rotel tomatoes (I like some heat). Then I add whatever else I find in the fridge. This one had chopped up bok choy, some celery, half a bag of frozen SW corn and veggies, add seasonings to taste, let it simmer for awhile, eat over rice. Yummmm.

I also bought some of the 1st NW cherries; so glad our delicious fruit season is here. Will get some strawberries today. And I have a batch of vegetarian chili ready for the next couple of days

Keep on keeping on! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:46 am

Tuesday, June 15, 2021
And it rained most of Monday, very good news, maybe 2" total, but so far behind on rainfall today; the snow pack is all gone; 90s later in the week.

Today I will make a 1 pan Mexican quinoa dish; made it before, rated it Excellent, don't remember where I got the recipe.
Whenever I think I am bored with my food, I eat some of it and, dang, it is good! Just had some jasmine rice and my veggie chili for breakfast. Very tasty. Cherries and watermelon for later today, plus spinach to eat. I'll also prep some potatoes. Oatmeal for dinner (again, think having it in the morning crashes my blood sugar).

My food philosophy is Fast, Easy, Nutrition (FEN!). These are keys to success for me. I go wrong whenever I forget this.

Cutting back my beloved morning coffee intake to see if it helps with chronic mild dizziness; also not taking the prescription decongestant. I have bad allergies, mild asthma, am allergic to molds and dust. Living in the soggy NW doesn't help. I am sure this is inner ear thing caused by bad congestion. It might be helping. Also run an indoor air filter which really helps.

Exercise is 1st priority in my day, otherwise it doesn't get one, so off now!
Have a good day, Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals