Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:39 am

Dec 26, 2019

I am always glad to have the holidays behind me, but must admit that the time with family and grandson was very special. I am lucky that most of them make healthy eating choices so the temptations were few. And the thin slice of fabulous lemon meringue pie was special.

I am just happy not to have gained weight. I don't count the .-2# a loss, just not a gain. This is the week I really want to STAY on 185.0. So, what's my plan? Hmmm
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:11 am

Sunday December 29, 2019

I really enjoyed my dinner yesterday. I had 3 smallish yukon gold potatoes and 1 carrot, boiled and mashed. Very filling and tasty. I also had a small salad with three greens including kale and maybe 1/4 cup black beans. Pear and oatmeal (with ground flax seeds and hemp hearts with blueberries and almond milk) started my day. Today I am off for some swimming. Later I will make the black bean burgers. And I still have split pea soup left, also good but doesn't fill me up. I am successful when I stick with simple foods. Yet the food itself is so yummy, to me anyway. I bought some spices to add for flavors.

Because, I want to drop below 185 for next Thursday's MWL weigh-in!
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:07 am

Monday Dec 31, 2019
Good-bye and good riddance to 2020. Do we say that at the end of every year?

The scales show me in the 184 range now, yay!! Yesterday I made the yummy NY Times burgers. They are filling. The basic recipe is bland so I used a can of beans with added spices, and a can of tomatoes with 'mild' green hatch chilies. And I added more seasonings, this time a blend of tumeric, ginger and some red pepper flakes. I also chopped and added some kale to the recipe. It made 8 patties, so guess what I am eating for a few days? They taste good.

I really like mashed potatoes with mashed carrots and I add peas to it for more protein. I have a bowl late afternoon and it fills me up so I am not eating too much after 5pm.

Today I will steam the remaining kale, make more basmati rice, and finish the split pea soup.

Happy New Year! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Shmookitty » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:00 am

Happy New Year to you too! YAY for the lower weight! :-D
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 am

Sunday, Jan 5, 2020

This morning's scales showed an even lower #. Wow. I have changed what I have been eating and that's the reason why. NOW, can I remember what I was doing?!!

I am out of food and have to prep more meals. I really like the NY Times veggie burger (recipe in the Engine 2 Diet book), very filling, and I will make them again. They do need something for texture though; not sure what to add (I hate mushrooms). I'll get a veggie chili crock pot going today also. Plus the usual oatmeal with blueberries, ground flax seed and hemp hearts. I usually have just one fruit a day now; apples are cheapest and easiest, although seasonal pears are good too.

My very favorite though is mashed potatoes with mashed carrots; I add beans, peas and corn. Very filling and satisfying. I'll try adding a mashed parsnip to it for a kick of flavor. (I cook the potatoes, carrots and parsnips together; then mash them.)

Hope we all have a safe week, safe from fires and global tragedies. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 am

Jan 10, 2020; winter weather has arrived here in the NW! 5 feet of new snow up on Mt. Hood where it is badly needed, and hope it stays up there and doesn't fall down here in the valley. Did a long walk yesterday knowing winter was coming, so I'll be in the pool or gym for awhile.

I lost 1 pound last week, yay! Slow and steady wins the race, especially for us older women. I haven't been journalling daily because i have found a groove with my WOE and it is working for me. Oatmeal daily; mashed potatoes/carrots/peas/corn/beans almost daily. Potatoes are the best starch for me. Sometimes a Jeff N 'fast food' meal; sometimes other items like the NY Times veggie burgers. I will make more of them today. 1 or 2 fruits a day. My challenge is including more greens; I like them, just lazy about prepping them. Steamed spinach and broccoli are what I do.

Anyway, hope everybody is doing well. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:59 am

Hi Marsha,
Which NY Times veggie burger recipe do you use? Does it hold together pretty well? I'm always in search of another good recipe.
Thanks!
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:01 am

Wednesday Jan 15, 2020

It's COLD here in the NW, great snow pack up on the mountain where I like it to be, not down here in the valley. The constant rain has kept me inside; yes I should drive over to the gym to swim or work out. Hmmm.

I am enjoying the NY Times veggie burgers; they are filling and yummy. Plus potatoes or rice as my go-to starches. Oatmeal daily with ground flax seed, hemp hearts and blueberries. Steamed broccoli. An apple and/or carrot for snacks. I actually like munching on celery sticks too. I am trying to eat more calcium-rich foods; hence more dark leafy greens.

Life is busy so I like having foods prepped so I can just quickly make a meal. If I have to think every day 'what to eat now?', it's too easy for me to not eat wisely. Today I have some kale that must be eaten so I plan to just steam it with a dash of tamari sauce for flavor. And my old standby is a Jeff N 'fast food' meal.

I really want to drop into the 182# and soon. Focus!
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 am

moonlight wrote:Hi Marsha,
Which NY Times veggie burger recipe do you use? Does it hold together pretty well? I'm always in search of another good recipe.
Thanks!

Hi, sorry to take so long to reply. I use the recipe that's in the Engine 2 Diet cookbook. I remember the recipe, so here are the ingredients.
1 can black beans drained (I buy the ones with spices in them)
1 can tomatoes drained (I use the ones with mild chiles - this recipe is bland to me without seasonings)
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal (this is the binder)
1 cup shredded carrots (I dice up 1 large carrot in a food processor and it's enough)
3 diced scallions or green onions (I don't use the entire green stalk portion)
1 cup diced parsley
1 clove garlic (or more if you like it!)
salt & pepper or whatever seasonings you like; right now I am loving a curry powder with turmeric paprika and fenugreek (trader joe's I think)

optional:
1/4 cup diced mushrooms
maybe dice up some orange or red pepper (green too but I don't like green pepper)
I shredded maybe 1/4 cup kale too

Mix it all together. Form patties. Bake at 450 oven for 8 minutes; then broil for no more than 2 minutes; the broiling step dries out the somewhat 'wet' patty. I usually freeze 2 or 3.

Makes 6-8 for me

This also makes great crumbles to add to soups, pastas, rice, etc.
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Thank you!
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:09 am

Friday Jan 17, 2020
Happy Birthday to me! Today I'm 73.

I was surprised to see +1 lb on the scales this morning but confess I fell into some salty birthday treats. The body is so interesting how it reacts to non-compliant foods. Must refresh myself on the MWL points and calorie density foods. My food prep and planning has been good, but fell into bad snacking and treat habits; will double up on veggies and potatoes. And it has rained for days here in the NW, so I haven't walked outside as much. Will make more effort to get into the gym. An upcoming surgery too is on my mind. Not a real concern, just something to deal with plus will require recovery time so little exercise/lifting possible.

I reviewed the MWL checklist and see where I fell off the wagon:
'Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.' Sodium always makes me retain water.
'Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).' Those salty cashews man, are gone now.
'Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes.' Haven't had my usual 1.5 mile walks this past week (rain + needed surgery).

I know in two days that 1 lb gain will be gone, but wanted to report it and be accountable. Own the behavior change. Hungry for soup now! have a good day, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Shmookitty » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:43 am

Happy Birthday! YAY!
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby moonlight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:46 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :D :D
moonlight

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:43 am