So What Now? 2019 - Geo

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: So What Now? 2019 - Geo

Postby geo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:50 pm

@ seree! A 5 stage water filter, you must be using one of those Zero Water filters then. It produces essentially distilled water with zero dissolved solids, the same as distilled water. For my salt water fish I use a RODI Filter (Reverse Osmosis De-Ionization) filter. It also produces zero dissolved solids in water making it essentially pure water. For human drinking purposes though I will ust be buying the cheap $1 a gallon distilled water from Walmart at least for this experiment.

@galoop - About the only time I eat salads is when I go ut to eat which is quite rare these days. Its not that I don't like salads its just that they tend to be expensive for me and really dont fill me up, so I stick to just frozen veggies (yes this includes frozen greens) and fresh chopped veggies like crudites (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers, celery, tomatoes,etc...

@ DayDream - I just bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H ... UTF8&psc=1 I take them one a week. Theres 60 in the bottle (they are very tiny tablets) so should last me for a year. And yes they taste good :-)
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby geo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:08 pm

1/4/2020

B: oatmeal and pineapple
L: potatoes and rice and corn and veggies
D: rice and veggies and salsa

E: none

R: Secrets from the eating lab.

Good day and felt good. Slept poorly, woke up too early and then went back to bed after a couple hours. I hate a broken sleep pattern, but I'm working on it still. I will be continuing on the night shift at work for another 4 months so hopefully I'll have this all straightened out soon.

I got my new glasses and all I can say is I hate them. They don't cause me any headaches or anything, but they are just a pain because they change my eye sight so dramatically that when I take them off it takes a minute for me to get my eyes to focus properly again. My reading glasses are especially hard to get used too, its as if they magnify everything up close. Don't get me wrong, I see significantly better with them but the perspective is just so different than what I'm used too. And my driving glasses re even more dramatic. They bring my eyesight to 20/15. Everything is spectacularly clear and in focus. But the minute I take them off, my eyes feel as if they are crossed and I can't focus them. Very weird effect but I'm told there will be an adjustment period because of the issues I have with my eyes and depth perception. Without the driving glasses I can't pass the drivers eye test for my license, so I have to get used to them. Unfortunately, the physical issue I have with my eyes can't be fixed by diet.
geo

geo

Postby Lyndzie » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:35 pm

We switched to RO water last year. That whole Flint, MI mess made me very wary of tap water. Also, we have brand new pipes in our house (built in the 1800’s before indoor plumbing, totally renovated last year) but the pipe that is on the city’s side of the water meter is lead. With archaic infrastructure, who knows what is going on down there?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby galooop » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:47 am

Hi, Geo,
If you get a chance, I would be interested to know more about your new B12 supplement. I looked at the link on Amazon but there wasn’t much information about the product there. Just wondering why this might be a better combo.

I know what you mean about the glasses. I feel exactly the same way. My optometrist prescribed a 6.5 strength for my reading glasses and strong distance glasses, too. I do have a pair of sixes that I put on for a very small type or to thread a needle, etc. But for regular reading, I use a 4.5. Just works better for me. I bought a pair of glasses on Zenni (no affiliation). They’re much cheaper than the optometrist and I’ve had good luck with them so far.

https://www.zennioptical.com/
galooop

Postby geo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi Galoop,

I chose those B-12 for a few reasons. First off I decided to switch to a more direct source usable by the body. Basically their are 2 main forms of B-12 the body uses directly without having to do any major conversions. Methylcobalamin and adenosylcobolamin. Those are directly and readily usable by the body. Other forms you can buy such as Cyanocobalamin and Hydroxocobalamin both have to be split apart and converted to the methyl and adenosyl forms for the body to use. Now most people don't have any conversion issues but some do. So if the more direct forms are readily available then I think its best to use them and avoid any possible conversion issues. Plus cyanocobalamin has an issue with leaving behind a cyanide molecule as part of the conversion process...not something that has been confirmed bad but why take the chance if other sources are easily and cheaply available. The hydroxocobalamin is safe but again needs to be converted to the more direct B-12 forms used by the body, plus its generally a bit more expensive and harder to find.

One final thing, some buy just the methylcobolamin form of B-12 but this is inadequate. You need both the methyl and ademosyl forms for proper B-12 levels. I've read various different sources on the proper ratio of methyl and adenosyl is anywhere from 80/20 to 60/40 but seems variable. The pill I chose is a 50/50 blend of the two. with plenty of both forms in the pill for a once a week dosage I think.

Also the pill is sometimes called a microdot because its very small...smaller means theres less additive junk in the pill and the list of ingredients seems fairly benign to me. So that seems better to me, And finally the price was cheap for a years worth of the pills and they do taste good :-)
geo

geo

Postby geo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm

1/5/2020

B: oatmeal
L: rice and veggies and salsa
D: potatoes and corn and veggies and apple

E: Stretching and HIT weight training

R: Secrets from the Eating Lab

Good day, feeling good and slept ok. Workout was really good and continue to progress in both weight and reps and hold times all around. Very pleased with how its going. Of course it did drain me energy-wise and I did feel a bit run down most of the day.

So things are pretty much back to normal and the holidays are over. I start back to work on wednesday on the night shift...kind of looking forward to it as it will help me get back to my regular sleep pattern. Its been hard not working night shift and then trying to sleep the same schedules as everyone else. My body definitely isn't adjusting to the sleep changes well at all. Nothing unexpected, but it is weird not knowing when I should be asleep or not so have just been taking clues from my body and sleeping when I felt I needed it...just the same as with food and water.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:15 pm

1/6/202

L: potatoes and rice and veggies
D: rice and veggies and BBQ sauce

E: stretching and HIIT cycling

R: none

Good day and feeling fine.Slept okas well. Did my HIIT cycling today and it ent well. Did not feel too tired at all and the rest of the day went well. So this may workout better for me. The science is rather sparse, but basically if your doing resistance and aerobic exercise the science points to doing the resistance exercise first and then the aerobic exercise. Now the latest science seems to say that ig your doing higher intensity exercise that its probably best to split the exercises on separate days. That is do the resistance exercise one day and then do the aerobic exercise on the next day, 24 hours later. Now if your not doing high intensity type trainng, then you may be best to do resistance exercise first and then wait about 6 hrs or more to do the aerobic exercise.

So for now we will stick to the different exercises on different days schedule as being probably most optimal.

Quick Book Review:

So I finished up the book: Secrets from the Eating Lab by Dr Tracy Mann. It was an ok book but there was nothing in it that we have talked about before. The book supposedly had 12 "secret" rules for sticking to a healthier eating pattern. All of them to me were already widely known and well discussed in these forums as far as I could tell. In other words, there was really nothing new here. The premise of the book was that diets dont work...which we've known for a long time. That diets are unhealthy, which we also have known for a long time. And therefore don't diet and instead focus on changing your eating habits for the better...and thus the 12 rules they came up with over a couple decades of research.

So the book was ok and many that don't know anything of dieting may find it usefull and interesting, but for those of us that are veteran dieters and or have spent years on these forums, you probably will not find anything new. The anecdotal stories about how the studies were conducted were interesting (basically psychologists use a lot of trickery and lieing in conducting their studies).

So for me the book was not worthwhile other than to let me know that I've learned a lot over the years about what works and what doesn't and why that is so.
geo

geo

Postby galooop » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi, Geo,
Thanks for taking the time to explain the B12 combo.
I appreciate it. I never knew all that!
Chris
galooop

Postby geo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:05 pm

1/7/2020

L: potato and corn and veggies
D: rice and veggies and salsa and apple

E: Stretching and HIIT cycling

Good day and felt good,no tiredness.Slept ok until Karen woke me up early as usual lol. I"m still debating on which book I want to read next...I have well over a hundred choices...most all of them on health, exercise, nutrition, life extension, aging, psychology, philosophy, meditation, and everything in between lol... and yes I have lots of books on other subjects that interest me, but for now i want to dedicate this year to those particular areas of interest. I'll choose something in the next day or two.
geo

geo

Postby AnnetteW » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:11 pm

I love seeing what others are reading. It helps me decide what I'd like to read next.
AnnetteW

Postby geo » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:25 pm

1/8/2020

B: oatmeal and mixed berries
L: rice and veggies and salsa
D: rice and corn and veggies and pineapple and orange
S: apple

E: stretching and HIT weight training

Good day, felt good and slept ok. Had a really good,strong workout. So much so that my legs felt like jelly over most of the day. I would sit for 10 minutes and then find that my leg muscles would just tighten up and not want to move. It would take a minute of walking to get them back to working order lol.

So I've chosen my next book to read: 2 Weeks To a Younger Brain by Dr. Gary Small, Director of the UCLA Longevity Center
This is a book I've had in my library for a few years, but kind of fell off my radar. It was written in 2015 and got some really good reviews when it came out. Since I'm always interested in reversing the various "symptoms" of aging this will hopefully give me some new info on brain aging and how to reduce it. My #1 concern in aging is always my mind...without it theres no way to truly enjoy the life we are blessed with. To me, life without a mind is the most terrible thing that can happen.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:51 am

1/9/2020

L: potatoes and corn and veggies
D: rice and corn and veggies with pineapple and orange

E: stretching and HIIT cycling

R: 2 Weeks to a Younger Brain by Dr Gary Small

Good day, feeling really good and slept ok (woke early and took a little nap afterwords). My legs are much better today and everything is back to feeling normal as expected. Work was relatively slow last night so I was able to get a little rest as well.
geo

geo

Postby geo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:28 am

1/10/2020

L: potatoes and corn and veggies and salsa
D: rice and veggies and tomato sauce and orange

R: 2 Weeks to a Younger Brain

Good Day, felt good and slept ok. Work was quiet and routine. Pretty much a normal average day. My Daughter has been preparing to move out on her own. Shes 20 now and has decided to get her own apartment. Not sure how I feel about that, but she will be relatively close by. I can tell my wife is happy for her but anxious as well. I guess all family's come to this time with their children. We hope for the best and try to prepare for all eventualities but we are still never really prepared for when the kids leave their home and strike out on their own. I worry for my wife, but she seems to be handling it ok. Of course, Karen (our Daughters dog) will stay here with us since she can't take the dog with her to her new apartment. Thats ok for us as we have gotten used to taking care of her and she brings us joy, but she will miss her owner a great deal I fear. Oh well, life goes on...
geo

geo

Postby geo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:35 am

1/11/2020

L: potatoes and veggies and salsa
D: rice and corn and veggies and orange

R: 2 Weeks to a Younger Brain

Good day and slept ok. Feeling pretty good. Work was slow but gave me plenty of time to read and such. Continuing to help daughter get her stuff ready for her move. I believe she moves in on the 17th to her new place. We haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure we will get over there soon enough to take a gander. She seems very excited about it all, though as always its a big deal and money is always the concern. Our little girl is growing up so fast and becoming independent...sigh, why is this always so hard when its exactly what we always try to prepare our kids for?
geo

geo

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:50 pm

It is hard to let them go. And then once they go, you still worry over them and wonder about them. Once a parent, always a parent. Fo sho.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals