Alishana's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Alishana's journal

Postby alishana » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:49 am

Hi ! I'm starting a MWL journal.
alishana

Re: Alishana's journal

Postby alishana » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:16 pm

Today was a good day ! But there is room for improvement.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. :thumbsup:
3. Choose fruit for desert. :thumbsdown: I had applesauce.
4. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
8. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
9. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
10. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsdown: I didn't had enough starches for lunch and ended up starving before dinner.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Walked and did yoga :thumbsup:
8/10 :-D

Today I had :
Breakfast : rice, white beans, sweet onion, cherry tomatoes and leftovers salad + coffee
Lunch : vegetable soup and salad + coffee
Snack : leftovers from lunch
Dinner : some soup and salad, rice, oatmeal with frozen raspberries and applesauce
alishana

Postby alishana » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:47 pm

Today was a good day. I was oddly light headed in the morning but it went away.
I'm pride of myself because I ate dinner with my in-laws and I took with me a compliant potatoes salad AND I didn't fall for the cookies or the bread or the french fries. :thumbsup: And I really thought I was going to fall but the planning + the journal helped me a lot !

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. :thumbsup:
Choose fruit for desert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup: I had an active day.

Today I had :
Breakfast : oatmeal with frozen raspberries and a "chicorée" (it's like a very light coffee, I didn't find the traduction).
Lunch : soup and a rice bowl with beans, tomatoes and cucumber
Diner : potatoes salad with corn, green beans, tomatoes and white sweet onion
Second diner when I go home and was still hungry : vegetables leftovers, a scoop of rice, few beans
alishana

Postby Ejeff » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:14 am

Good for you sticking to your plan! :-D
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby alishana » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:05 pm

My in-laws are still in town and they came at us. And I went totally out of plan. At the beginning it was only to taste something. I kind of regretted it but now I know that I need to stick 100% compliance because I still don't have enough self control to just have a bite of something with oil/salt. And I really see the pleasure trap at work in me ! I actually didn't really enjoyed the taste of the foods out of plan that I had tonight. I eared someone saying "imagine what the best version of yourself would do and do that". I need to think about that in the future :o

So I had :
Breakfast : rice and cucumber and beans
Lunch : rice and chili over lot of lettuce
Snack : clementine and a biscuit
Dinner : lettuce, chili, rice, some potato chips, avocado, bread, soy yogourt, houmous, Tunisian cake

Thank you so much Ejeff ! Your comment is going to help me to do better choices tomorrow :-D
alishana

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 pm

This is my 11th month and I still make mistakes. Just dust yourself off and get back on track.
AnnetteW

Postby alishana » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:44 pm

Today I had :
Breakfast : Oatmeal and frozen raspberries.
Lunch : Rice, chili, tomatoes and cucumbers. I also had 3 tortillas from last night that I didn't want to trow away.
Dinner : A big bed of lettuce, chili, rice, cucumber and tomatoes, nutritional yeast.
Snack : Clementine and applesauce with oats

A good day ! Everything was good expect for the tortillas and I'm happy I didn't fall for the wrong foods at the second I ate out of plan. Tomorrow I have guests (again) so I prepare in advance some vegetables to eat with starches.

Thank you Annette ! I see you often around here and your dedication is inspirational. Also it's really helping to know that I'm not alone in this journey.

PS : For all the people reading, please excuse my poor english :oops: It's not a good excuse but I'm French !
alishana

Postby alishana » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:44 pm

Today was a good day ! Good compliance even if I had people over. Unfortunately I had bad period cramps all over the day. I hope to feel better tomorrow !
Today I had a big appetite :
Breakfast : oatmeal with frozen raspberries, a coffee
Lunch : lettuce, rice with vegetables (onion, zucchini, mushroom, cauliflower, carrot and spices), a small sweet potato, an orange and a coffee
Snack : an orange and a bowl of leftovers from lunch
Diner : some sort of minestrone soup (my own version with what was left in the fridge : tomato paste, bulgur, green beans, white beans, corn, zucchini, carrot, onion, garlic, herbs, mushrooms, potatoes) and a side salad. It's was delicious !
Snack : canned mango (it was good but too sweet for me).
alishana

Postby AnnetteW » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Looks great, you are doing well. Can you buy frozen mango chunks in France? They are absolutely divine. Perhaps you shouldn't even try them...just forget I ever mentioned it. :twisted:
AnnetteW

Postby alishana » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:12 pm

Thank you Annette ! It's a great idea. I want to try them in oatmeal too :mrgreen: I'll let you know.

Today was a good family day.
I had :
Breakfast : Minestrone soup from last night
Lunch : Tunisian feast at my in-laws (with so much oil)
Diner : A big salad (greens, tomato, cucumber and carrot), an orange

Even if I had moments off, this week was a good start for me. My goal is to be 100% compliant next week !
alishana

Postby alishana » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:34 pm

Today was my first day of internship and it went so well ! I'm so happy ! At lunch, they did ask where I found my proteins but what's new ? At night, I went to the store and the men in front of me bought a ton of meats and other prepared stuff full of meats (and only bought that). I felt so so grateful for the way I eat and so confident in my veganism.
On every Monday night I have a friend gathering at my house (keeping this journal makes me realize how much I meet with people). During a long time I dragged on planning the food for everyone that would please everyone but still be compliant and fun. But tonight I organized a "salad bar" for dinner and everyone was so content and happy about it. I should have done it before ! :mrgreen:

So today I had :
Breakfast : oatmeal with frozen raspberries
Lunch : Rice and vegetables and 2 small sweet potatoes
Snack : A kiwi
Diner : A huge salad (lettuce, spinach, corn, tomatoes, cucumber, cauliflower, garbanzo beans, carrots), a bowl of rice and a small boiled potato. An apple sauce
So I've been 100% compliant ! :thumbsup: (for now I'm focusing on the food I'll maybe add the 10 points check list later).

Thank you so much Serene ! We can do it together !
alishana

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 pm

A salad bar! what a great idea! Sounds like you're doing fantastic, and I'm proud of you for not caving at your get together. Congrats on the internship...have fun with that!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby alishana » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Today was a good day ! People from my internship were surprised that I was bringing my food everyday and offered to make me lunch (it's a small family business + I'm working with them at their house and we all have lunch together). But I said no :lol: I just love so much eating my own stuff. I really like simple foods and if they were cooking for me I would stressed out about oils and stuff.

I had :
Breakfast : oatmeal with raspberries
Lunch : a small boiled potato, leftovers from the bulgur minestrone soup, spinach, garbanzo beans and a kiwi
Diner : a salad with leftovers (spinach, lettuce, tomatos, garbanzo beans) and sushi bowl (aka the best thing ever) with rice, cucumber, carrots and sea weed on top

Thank you so much for your kind word Bunsofaluminium :-D
alishana

Postby alishana » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Today was the first day that I had cravings for bad stuff. At the middle of the afternoon I learned that I was going to have diner at my in-laws and I ate cookies. This thing is so strange. When I know that I'm going to have non compliant food during the day it become so much harder to resist cravings. So yeah. Let's start again tomorrow !
My in-laws live in an other country so having them in town in special and rare (like one or two times a years and they stay for 1 or 2 weeks). So when they'll leave, it's going to be easier to eat well everyday PLUS my partner wants to do MWL during February :shock: :mrgreen: So we're going to help each other in the good direction.

Today I had :
Breakfast : rice and sautéed spinach, onion, garlic, corn and tomato
Lunch : a big salad (lettuce, corn, cucumber), a boiled potato and rice
Snack : 3 Tunisian cookies
Diner : at my in-laws : bread, oil, sugar and stuff
alishana

Postby alishana » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Today was a good day ! A friend came over for diner and i did NOT eat chips or cookies.
I had :
Breakfast : oatmeal with frozen raspberries and grapes
Lunch : a big salad (spinach, iceberg, mushrooms, tomatoes, chickpeas) and a side of rice, 1/2 boiled potatoes, chickpeas
Diner : asian veggies (brocolis, carrots, shitake mushroom, cabbage, pok choi, onion with curry, garlic and curcuma) and rice

Something that really helped me today was thinking that it's not important to eat chips and it's ok to not be eating the same thing as everyone else. What's important during this moments is the compagnie not the food.
alishana

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals