tina's weight loss journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: tina's weight loss journey

Postby tinathescreamer » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:26 am

ha ha, thanks for calling me honest, moonlight. The biggest lie I tell myself is "I can eat just one." If I buy a packet of cookies intending to have them with my coffee during the week, I will eat them all the first day. Then I think I'd better have something healthy so I eat all the tomatoes intended for the week as well.
tinathescreamer

Postby taz432 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:42 pm

tinathescreamer wrote:ha ha, thanks for calling me honest, moonlight. The biggest lie I tell myself is "I can eat just one." If I buy a packet of cookies intending to have them with my coffee during the week, I will eat them all the first day. Then I think I'd better have something healthy so I eat all the tomatoes intended for the week as well.

This was funny to me because I used to have this idea of the perfect way of eating years ago, where I would just take a few cookies and a square of chocolate and have tea (I don't really drink tea, it was just part of the vision) and be perfectly fine with it. I finally had to give up on that idea.
taz432

Postby tinathescreamer » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:28 am

kia ora taz, fortunately(?) eating a lot of chocolate makes me feel sick, so I only have it on special ocassions.

Winter is definitely coming here and I am coming down with a cold, so not much exercise these last couple days. It also appears to have taken away my appetite. I only ate 3 apples during the day, and this evening I made bean and veg soup, but only had one bowl. normally I like to eat bread with my soup but today I didn't miss it.

As it is getting colder I got out my knitting needles and wool. I have some good cardigan patterns but don't want to make one until I see what size I wind up. so a pretty lace shawl it is. Keeping my fingers busy keeps them from constantly going packet to mouth and I don't want grease all over my work.
tinathescreamer

Postby squealcat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:19 am

Tina, your last few posts made me smile. I have done the same as you . I get some cookies to last a week and they are magically gone in a day. Then I figure I now have to eat healthy so I eat salad and all kinds of "healthy" food only to find myself feeling stuffed and uncomfortable ! Craziness, yes?

I think getting out my knitting is a good idea. I am not good enough to make a cardigan but I was working on a shawl a year ago. Hope I can figure out where I am !

Have a good day !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby tinathescreamer » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:48 am

squealcat enjoy your knitting. I started a few years ago when I was in psych hospital and everyone around me was so bored they were taking up smoking. It has become my meditation. I think the Department of Health should give me a job promoting the health benefits. :-)

ooh the local supermarket has camembert on super sale and I really want to buy some, but I can't have just a little - I will eat the whole 100 grams. Unfortunately the store is just round the corner from me, so I pass it every time i'm going somewhere. So I made myself a nice apple, onion and rice pilaf. sounds odd, tastes quite yummy. White rice as I don't like brown - according to Dr McD white rice is not a deal breaker. :evil:
tinathescreamer

Postby squealcat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:57 am

Tina, apple onion and rice sounds just fine to me ! I have seen recipes that used raisins in a rice pilaf so apples would be a good substitute !

You reminded me of a time many years ago when I was a nursing student. We worked in a psych hospital for a time and almost all the patients there smoked ! I realize now that they were probably bored! There was ping pong etc but not much else (that I remember). Glad you took up knitting !

Yes, I need to pick up those needles again. It IS relaxing until I mess up and miss a stitch.....I hate to go back and take it apart to fix it.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 am

Tena koe Tina. I'm knitting some fingerless gloves for the winter, but its so cold this morning...I had better get on with them! I have divided for the fingers but the next step is all the little short stubby finger bits, I do it on very short double pointed needless and its like wrestling with a hedgehog...

What are you knitting?
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby tinathescreamer » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:56 am

kia ora ruff. I live in Dunedin. congrats on using dpns, I avoid them. Instead I'm making a lace shawl.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mullion ... B3eIVdUnyM

I didn't go completely salt free today as I had some canned tomatoes and my local store doesn't carry the no salt variety. for brunch I had steamed potatoes, carrots and broccoli in curry sauce. Dinner: pasta and beans with onion, peppers and canned tomatoes. It was quite interesting to taste the different veggies without being overwhelmed by salt making it all taste the same. Already the puffiness and irritation round my eyes has gone.
tinathescreamer

Postby ~Skye~ » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:06 am

Hi tina! I admire your ability to try, try, try again! How's the Risperdal for you? It made me stiff like a robot and everyone stared at me wherever I went. 20+ years later and I think I am actually done with the big pharma evil drug plot. I found Buddhism to be very helpful. I am recommitting to this WOE myself, and would love to share this ADVENTURE with you on the other side of the world! Best to you!

Also, the smoking is not from boredom. Every human being has nicotine receptors in their brain. Smoking helps with sensory gating - a fancy term for the ability to filter out unwanted stimulus. :)

~Skye~
~Skye~

Postby Ruff » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:37 pm

that is a really nice shawl. what colour is yours?

Salt, I am thinking about salt. I eat a lot because of the running, but I have very puffy eyes. I am going to start experimenting with the amounts. Trouble is I got such bad cramps after the Mt Oxford race. really really painful. I might ask on the exercise board.
Katie

Ruff

Postby tinathescreamer » Sat May 01, 2021 2:41 am

Ruff: I'm doing the shawl in white with black strips. the pattern is a bit tricky so slow progress, but progress nontheless. I probably will continue to eat small amounts of salt, because of concerns about iodine, but only small amounts.

Skye: I didn't know that about nicotine, guess that's why it's so hard to give up. I always feel sorry for the people picking butts out of the gutter, they must really be desperate. glad I took up knitting instead.

I find with the Respiredal I have terrible teeth and gum problems, permanent coldlike symptoms and tardive dyskenesia. The drug actually also has a masking effect with the last so it gets bad when I try to come off it, maybe because in the past I stopped too abruptly. At the moment I'm on 3mg a day, which is considered a low dosage, but I've been on it for a long time.

I was good all week about not eating baked goods, and with cutting out salt, and on Friday am I'd dropped a whole kg (2.2lbs) and my bmi was below 28. Alas, that evening I was invited to a pizza party and they'd ordered a vegan pizza especially for me! Hey, it's got mushrooms and spinach so it must be healthy, right? On Saturday am I'd gained all the weight back. I have to come up with a reward other than food, so I'm going to try dropping some money in a jar for every pound lost and buy myself some really nice yarn for my birthday in July.

Breakfast; apple and banana
Lunch; boiled potatoes with lemon juice and raw carrot
Dinner: rice, onion and cabbage soup with cumin and coriander.
tinathescreamer

Postby ~Skye~ » Sun May 02, 2021 4:41 am

Shucks tina, that bites about getting the scale to budge and then having to eat pizza (having to eat pizza!) and gaining it back. In the past I've found weight like that to be quick to come off again though. In 2011 when I discovered the corn bread section of Happy Herbivore, and I ate cornbread every day for a week I gained 8 pounds. But it came off again when I came to my senses.

My birthday is in July as well!

Normally I don't go in for numerology, but my voices convinced me to buy a subscription to one a few months ago, and the advice the other day was to combine motivational techniques. In my situation I'm trying to build up stamina and discipline, so the example given was to push yourself to complete a task before you take a break, and then the break itself becomes the reward. Makes a whole lot of sense to me. Could you do something like that?

Of course it's hard to beat pretty yarn.

One of my greatest fears was developing tardive dyskinesia, and there was a period where I think I may have started getting it. I was filming myself making glass beads and while I was doing it, my mouth kept twitching. I don't know what I did, but I don't think I do that anymore.
~Skye~

Postby tinathescreamer » Mon May 03, 2021 3:47 am

kia ora Skye. I hope I don't sound as if I'm blaming everything on Covid, but honestly, I think the limbo we're all in of waiting for things to get back to "normal" is playing a part. In the past when I was focused on a big goal like learning karate or paying the mortgage off early, the discipline needed carried over to other areas of my life and I was in a much better space. BC (Before Covid) I was planning a big trip to the UK and Ireland to see family I haven't seen for years. Now of course I have no idea when it will happen and I'm feeling frustrated. I think the eating is partly to console myself.

I did do better today. Now that NZ has returned to Level 1, the art center run by our local hospital board for people using mental health services has opened up again. I spent some time in the music room because I am shockingly out of practice with the recorder. I'd like to get back to the place where I can play with a consort again. I knew someone would probably bring along home baked cookies and sure enough they did. But I had brought along an apple and ate that instead. Baby steps that hopefully will add up to big progress.
tinathescreamer

Postby ~Skye~ » Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 pm

I am so impressed at your planing ahead with an apple! Congrats! I think baby steps has been one of the single most powerful concepts I've gotten from my mental health struggles. Some of my family have scoffed and outright denied any validity to the idea, but if you are so low a tiny victory feels good, you need the tiny victory - you know? Of course coming prepared with an apple is actually quite significant. Yay Tina!

I would say, and I try to say this to as many people as possible, but as a species, we do not want to go back to normal. The way it was before is what led to Covid, if we go back instead or forward, we will end up with another virus, and it won't take another hundred, or two hundred years.

~Skye~
~Skye~

Postby Ruff » Wed May 05, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi Tina, funny I was just journalling about how getting to grips with one area of life helps with weight loss. with me its finances. If I have control of my finances I have control of my weight. Sadly the reverse is true. Lose control of either one and the other spirals out of control too. I think its all about keeping ones eye on the ball. For me its all too easy to shut my eyes and pretend it is not happening....
Katie

Ruff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals