tina's weight loss journey

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

tina's weight loss journey

Postby tinathescreamer » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:02 am

Kia ora from New Zealand

I've known about the advantages of a plant based diet all my life. I was raised vegetarian and when I started living on my own gradually cut out eggs and dairy. Never had a weight problem until I had mental health issues and was put on antipsychotics and antidepressants, then I put on 50 lbs. Only fasting would shift it but that lead to further mental problems. I was on disability so had little money to buy food and wasn't up to cooking anyway so I ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I did eat a lot of potatoes, but mostly fried. :eek:

Eventually I came across someone who was really into plant based and lent me all her books by Barnard, Esseltyne and McDougall. I started to cut out refined grain products and oils, and got down to a healthy bmi. then I got complacent and stopped paying attention and the weight came back on. this cycle was repeated several times. :cry:

What has sparked my determination to do something lasting about it was visiting India last year. I felt really embarrassed looking like the Venus of Willendorf when I was surround by people who were lucky to have rice and lentils. Of course they all thought I was very rich because I obviously had plenty of food. :oops: It was a lesson in how the rest of the world views Westerners' eating habits

So here I am and this time I'm going to make it stick. I need to lose 40 lbs. Thanx to the Covid19 lockdown I've already cut out bread and baked goods - no flour left on the shelves, and the half bottle of oil sitting in my pantry for months has gone rancid. I have rice, oats, lentils and potatoes, but will need to brave the supermarket for more fresh veges soon. Wish me luck!

Nga mihi
tina
tinathescreamer

Re: tina's weight loss journey

Postby Andrea_Minnesota » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:46 am

Good luck, Tina! My paternal grandmother hailed from Christchurch, hopefully this crisis will pass for all of us soon.

Andrea
Andrea_Minnesota

Postby tinathescreamer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:44 am

Tena koe, Andrea. I live a few hundred miles south of Christchurch. I have family that lives there. It is a nice city, but they have been thru a lot with earthquakes and floods. Good job your grandfather left.

I am following the MWL program with some allowance for foods I already have and don't want to waste. For breakfast I had oatmeal made with soy milk (which is almost finished) and some pineapple. I went for a brisk walk around a couple blocks until I felt an urgent bm coming on (TMI!) and had to hurry home. I spent most of the morning knitting a scarf, then had a microwaved potato and some coleslaw for lunch - not much as I wasn't very hungry. When I'm on the program I find I don't eat that much during the day, but if there's flour products in the house I am eating nonstop. In the afternoon I went to the supermarket for fresh produce. There was plenty available, but no 10kg bags of potaoes. I will try the other shop tomorrow. For dinner I had pasta and chickpeas with canned tomatoes (with added salt) and carrots. It was a little heavy on the starches, now I have peppers I will add more veg. Anyway it filled me up. I didn't want anything to eat all evening.

I really didn't eat all that much but I wasn't hungry. It makes me realise how much of my eating is habit or boredom. :(
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:50 am

I walked to the shops early this morning, then realised I'd left my wallet at home so had to go back for it. Avocadoes were cheap, but they had no WW pasta, canned tomatoes or beans, or frozen veg. I bought 5 kg of potatoes and a bag of onions and carried them all the way home - plenty of exercise.

Breakfast oatmeal, small banana
Lunch microwaved potato with soy sauce, was going to make coleslaw but couldn't be fussed chopping it all up so just ate some cabbage, carrots, and an apple raw.
Dinner bean and pasta soup with lots of bell peppers and onions.

As I don't care for cooking very much I'll prob keep breakfast and lunch the same each day, then I only have to think about what's for dinner. I have plenty of rice but it's white. I'll just use it up before buying more. In this difficult time we have to do the best we can.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:39 am

I keep wanting to weigh myself all the time but will do it only once a week on Friday. been reading the thread on Ortimum BMI and it seems overweight even without underlying at risk factors is more of a health risk, so it's important for me to shed those pounds.

Today was Communion Sunday and we had an online sevice where we were encouraged to have communion within our bubble using whatever common foods we have. I didn't have grape juice or bread and they are not allowed on MWL, so I had oatmeal with banana and a cup of coffee. the oats were from Scotland, banana from Africa, coffee from Arabia, the cloth from England, dish and mug made in China and the spoon from India - truly an international celebration!

About the coffee - I finally gave it up 18 months ago after years of addiction and many unsuccessful attempts to quit. There has been a noticeable improvement in my physical and emotional health. but with the Coronavirus stress and being at home all the time I've started drinking it again. It's not encouraged on McDougall, so time to cut back gradually - not going thru cold turkey again.

Breakfast and lunch were the same as yesterday. Dinner - pumpkin and lentil soup, rice with steamed brussel sprouts.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:12 am

A dark and dreary day - winter is coming. I went for a 30 minute walk. When I got back I didn't want raw veggies for luch so steamed some potatoes and carrots and stirred them into a can of spicy pumpkin soup. It wasn't compliant as it was very high in salt, but I;m finishing the food I have before I buy more.

I have a copy of Mary's Quick and Easy Cookbook. There are some very simple recipes with only a few ingredients that I like the sound of - if it takes more than 5 ingredients and more than 15 min to prepare I'm not interested. Some of them are for up to 6 servings so I guess it will last me several days. I am out of brown rice, canned tomatoes and beans but maybe now the panic buying is over there will be some in the store. I have lots of white rice, oats and lentils and there is no shortage of fresh fruit and veg.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:50 am

Since putting back the clocks on Sunday I keep waking up early. Today I got up at 6 am and had an apple and a banana. An hour later I had a bowl of oatmeal At 9 I felt hungry again and had another bowl of oatmeal.

Because it's only me I don't buy a lot of things that may spoil before they are used; I buy big amounts of a few things and try to put them together in different ways. And it doesn't bother me to eat the same thing several days in a row - I think hoe lucky I am to be able to choose what I eat and have enough of it. Billions don't.

For lunch I made cabbage and potato soup. For dinner I cooked onions and pumpkin with cumin. The original called for milk and pinenuts, so I used water and chickpeas, served with the last of the macaroni. I think ww pasta is allowed but I won't get any. It's too easy for me to eat too much of it. I once was served a Hare Krishna plate with 4 cups of pasta, 1 cup tomato sauce and 3 peas. I ate the lot and most of my friend's plate as well. :oops:
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:10 am

As the supermarket will be closed on Good Friday I went early to stock up, but with it being benefit day there were already 50 people in the queue. I bought splits peas and barley, spices and canned veg. I will have to go back on Sat for fresh produce.

For brakfast Stewed apple, onion and potato
Lunch Banana and a can of baked beans in tomato sauce - too much added sugar
Dinner Rawbell peppers and savory oatmeal made with the last can of veg soup. Already my tastebuds are adjusting to less.
tinathescreamer

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:47 am

tinathescreamer wrote:I keep wanting to weigh myself all the time but will do it only once a week on Friday. been reading the thread on Ortimum BMI and it seems overweight even without underlying at risk factors is more of a health risk, so it's important for me to shed those pounds.

Today was Communion Sunday and we had an online sevice where we were encouraged to have communion within our bubble using whatever common foods we have. I didn't have grape juice or bread and they are not allowed on MWL, so I had oatmeal with banana and a cup of coffee. the oats were from Scotland, banana from Africa, coffee from Arabia, the cloth from England, dish and mug made in China and the spoon from India - truly an international celebration!

About the coffee - I finally gave it up 18 months ago after years of addiction and many unsuccessful attempts to quit. There has been a noticeable improvement in my physical and emotional health. but with the Coronavirus stress and being at home all the time I've started drinking it again. It's not encouraged on McDougall, so time to cut back gradually - not going thru cold turkey again.

Breakfast and lunch were the same as yesterday. Dinner - pumpkin and lentil soup, rice with steamed brussel sprouts.

That's a pretty nice little communion with banana and oats :) I'm trying to figure out how to do a communion for Easter. We rent my mom's basement, so it would be three of us, though my hubby might not care to join. My mom's church is displaying a video on their website with the priest preaching and some scans of people's faces, along with the church decked out with palms. I don't know if he'll do it up all pretty and full of flowers for Easter. He has also promised an Easter service when we get out of social distancing.

As for the coffee...when I first started this McDougall thing 10 years ago, coffee quit me :lol: after two weeks strictly on the plan. I couldn't drink it without getting severe adrenal jolts so I set it down overnight, no withdrawals. But it's back for me, too. My work team are coffee drinkers, and we share a pot in the morning. :| I think if we can get really strict with the McDougalling, we'll have all the energy we need from our food and coffee will just be too much. ... Right?

anyway...be chill with yourself. This is a very difficult time for everyone and we need to give ourselves time to "normalize"
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby tinathescreamer » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:49 am

Kia ora Buns. My church usually gets together with all the other churches in the valley and holds a mountaintop sunrise service, followed by a bread and fish breakfast at on of the churches. Since we are a very small congregation this year we are getting together via Zoom and will all contribute a reading or a poem. No one is allowed in the church building, not even to get the food in the kitchen for distribution to the needy.

It looks like the NZ lockdown is working. The number of cases today is half that of last week. Hopefully the restrictions will be able to be eased in 2 weeks.

I had no coffee today and felt pretty lethargic, but no headache. I made myself go for a short walk but got a bit breathless climbing the hill. Meals today

B banana and oatmeal
L apple, pumpkin and rice. I cooked them together and added a tsp of Marmite and it was quite sweet.
D tomato salad, lentil-potato burgers from the newsletter, steamed brussel sprouts.

I am enjoying planning out my meals and working out how I can de-fat some of my favorite recipes. I find 3 meals a day are enough for me and I don't need snacks. If I feel hungry I have a drink of water and the feeling passes.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:33 am

Weighed myself this morning (NZ is ahead of the rest of the world) 191.8 lbs - down 4.4 this week. Although it is water loss from cutting back on salt, I'm really pleased.

B apple, 2 bowls of pumpkin oatmeal and 2 bananas. I know we're restricted to 2 pieces of fruit per day. I'm missing sweet things. The usual pumpkin calls for raisins and brown sugar and it didn't taste as sweet without them. Next time I'll try making it with sweet potato.
L Garbanzo Salad from newsletter. I didn't have celery and cilantro so added some frozen corn. It was very nice but now the weather is turning colder salads are not as filling as soups and stews.
D split pea and barley soup with veggies. I missed having croutons. Apart from that I don't miss bread at all.

Still rather lethargic and a dull achy feeling in my back, right around where my andrenals are. It will pass and then I'll feel much better. :-D
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:54 am

B. Slipped up and put a tablespoonful of raisins in my overnight oats, which is what I usually do to sweeten it. It tasted too sweet!
L. Patatas a lo Pobre (Poor Man's Potatoes) the original is made with a lot of olive oil. I sauted onion, garlic and bell peppers in a little water then added chopped up potatoes with half a cup of water and cooked until they were tender. They tasted great and filled me up nicely until dinner. I did put a little salt on them but didn't really need it.
D. Kicheree (Indian rice and lentil dish, steamed carrots and cabbage I usually do one pot meals = saves on the washing up! Rather than make the plate 50/50, I try to make the dish 50/50.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:27 am

I felt bloated today so weighed myself and I have put on a pound. I think it's water retention from still eating salt. I'm reluctant to cut it out completely because NZ soils are low in iodine and there are cases of goiter in people who don't eat iodized salt. Maybe I can find a supplement that contains it.
SW 198 lbs
CW 192.9
GW my ideal weight would be 150 (5' 9") but I'll be very happy if I get to 160

B. I tried the pumpkin oatmeal again, this time with homemade applesauce and it was good. I don't really care for cinnamon tho so will try ginger next time.
L. coleslaw, curried beans with onions, apple and tomato. I meant to keep half for dinner but it was so good I ate the lot.
D. a heaping plate of carrots, cabbage, chard and potatoes sprinkled with nooch. not sure if that is compliant but I only used one tbs.

Didn't exercise today. I'll try to walk round the block 3 times every day for the rest of the lockdown.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:19 am

The confinefinement is making me ditzy. I went to the hole in the wall this morning and coming back realised I'd pulled out the wrong amount. I went to the supermarket and realised when I got home I'd forgotten the leeks, although I had a list. Never mind, I don't need them till Wed.
The extra pound has gone as quickly as it came. Hurrah for lots of fiber and healthy bm.

B. apple, banana rice. I had a tablespoonful of peanut butter left sitting in the jar which I didn't want to waste so I put it in the rice. All gone now.
L. carrots, cabbage, potato soup
D. tomatoes, barley, onion, celery, mushrooms with a sprinkling of nooch.
tinathescreamer

Postby tinathescreamer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:13 am

The Amazing Vanishing and Reappearing Pound is back again. I am cutting back on starches, only one potato in the soup and one cup of beans a day. Filling up with more veges.

B. oatmeal, apple, banana
L. potato, cabbage and carrot soup with nooch
D. rice, chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, chard
tinathescreamer

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals