Taymariekay's Food Journal and Weigh-ins

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Taymariekay's Food Journal and Weigh-ins

Postby JeffN » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:22 pm

taymariekay wrote:Does anyone recommend any canned/boxed soups that are lower sodium to eat in emergencies? I work at Whole Foods so I know of one that would work, it’s the McDougall vegetable soup low sodium. Any others?

There are several of the Mcdougall soup cups that are low in sodium. However, the bad news..... they sill exceed the recommended ratio and are about 2:1. The good news, the sodium in in the flavor packet, which, unlike most other brands, is in a separate pouch. Therefore, you can either add half of it to your soup, still have plenty of flavor and hit the 1:1 ratio. Or, you can use 1 packet for 2 soups. If you want, you can even add less and add some of your own spices

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby taymariekay » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:36 pm

JeffN wrote:
taymariekay wrote:Does anyone recommend any canned/boxed soups that are lower sodium to eat in emergencies? I work at Whole Foods so I know of one that would work, it’s the McDougall vegetable soup low sodium. Any others?

There are several of the Mcdougall soup cups that are low in sodium. However, the bad news..... they sill exceed the recommended ratio and are about 2:1. The good news, the sodium in in the flavor packet, which, unlike most other brands, is in a separate pouch. Therefore, you can either add half of it to your soup, still have plenty of flavor and hit the 1:1 ratio. Or, you can use 1 packet for 2 soups. If you want, you can even add less and add some of your own spices

In Health
Jeff

Great tip! Thanks so much, Jeff!
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:41 pm

Today’s food:

Breakfast: steel cut oats, chopped apple, mango, pineapple, blueberries (equaling about 1.5 cups fruit)

Lunch: soup, hearty blend (Cascadian Farms), brown rice, grapes

Dinner: soup, Brussel sprouts, beans, brown rice, potatoes, 1/2 apple

Some days I feel sad because I miss eating certain vegan condiments/food that make my meals really mentally satisfying. Not sure what that is about. I think I also just grieve a lot of old foods that are unhealthy but nostalgic. I know they are no good for me but I do miss them.

We are traveling next week for 4 days, to Colorado. I think I’ll be able to stay compliant as long as I cook everything for myself and bring food to restaurants. It’s also times like that where I wish I could be “normal” though. I think it annoys my family as well, but they try to understand. I digress!

Today was a good day :)
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:50 pm

Tomorrow’s food:

Breakfast: steel cut oats, 2 cups worth of apple, mango, pineapple + cinnamon

Lunch: soup with potatoes and beans + 1/2 cup grapes

Dinner: steamed vegetables with rice and potatoes + 1/2 apple

I came up with a weird condiment hack to help lower my sodium intake. I found that rice vinegar mixed with Braggs aminos dilutes the aminos/sodium while still keeping a pungent, salty flavor. I spray my food with it and it has been helpful. I can control the ratio as well. I have it pretty diluted right now.

I also use a fruit and veggie ketchup by True Foods and it is pretty high in sodium for the amount I use, so I have been diluting that with tomato sauce as well and that has been helpful! Just throwing out some tips in case it is helpful for anyone.
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Tomorrow's Food Plan:

Breakfast: steel cut oats, canned pineapple, tbsp of flax, splash of almond milk

Lunch: 50/50 plate of Mediterranean blend vegetables, potatoes, sweet potato, kidney beans, hummus, garlic aminos - apple sauce for dessert

Dinner: 50/50 plate of broccoli, brown rice, kidney beans, soy sauce, rice vinegar, furikake - strawberries for dessert

Water goal: 100 oz

Exercise goal: 30 min walk outside
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:45 pm

I came to write my weigh in post for the MWL Group thinking it was Friday evening, then saw Mark's closing post and it was a total *FACEPALM* moment!!! I don't know why I thought it was Friday! I digress...here is my weigh-in post here instead!

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.2

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsdown: I was able to for dinner only, not for breakfast or lunch for time reasons.

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. :thumbsup:

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsup:

6) Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full.   Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsup:

Questions, comments, concerns: I am less than impressed with my weigh-ins lately! It does make me kinda sad when I don't see more. Especially with so much weight to lose yet. I had a couple slips ups, but not big enough (I think) to impede weight loss. Two factors though: it is about to be that time of the month, AND I started working out daily after work. Just the elliptical. So I know both of those things affect weight. I also did add a little salt back in. And I do hold onto water easily.

For breakfast and lunch I was having a hard time eating enough food with time restraints. What I did was make them potato/sweet potato based so I could eat more starch, less veg, and be satiated for longer. Then for dinners I'm doing a lot more vegetables and preloading when I can. Seems to be helping!

I am sticking with it! Hopefully next week will show better progress. Will continue to focus on the checklist and avoid slip ups.
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Tomorrow's Food:

Breakfast: 1/2 rainbow chard and broccoli, 1/2 sweet potato and potato + 2 strawberries

Lunch: Same as breakfast + 2 strawberries

Snack: Small potato with fat free hummus

Dinner: 1 lb steamed vegetables, steamed greens, 1/2 of an acorn squash, fat free hummus, oatmeal with berries, two small green apples.

Exercise: 45 min. elliptical + 20 min dog walk + active day job

Sometimes I feel like a bottomless pit at dinner. Sometimes I worry that I eat too much food on MWL. But then again, I can't NOT! Can anyone else relate?
taymariekay

Postby taymariekay » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:42 pm

Tomorrow’s Food:

Breakfast:

Steel cuts oats with mashed banana, cinnamon and nutmeg

Lunch:

Potatoes and broccoli sautéed in salt-free BBQ sauce

Dinner:

Sweet potatoes, vegetables and Jeff’s burgers

Dessert: strawberries
taymariekay

Postby Keepyerplantieson » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:58 am

taymariekay wrote:Tomorrow's Food:

Sometimes I feel like a bottomless pit at dinner. Sometimes I worry that I eat too much food on MWL. But then again, I can't NOT! Can anyone else relate?

Ohhhh, yeah! Well, for me the "bottomless pit" is more likely to happen mid-day, when I eat my biggest meal, but I definitely know the feeling. And sometimes I just go with it, you know? Eat way more than usual. But as long as what I'm eating is basically healthy stuff, and as long as I get right back on track ASAP, AND as long as I'm not finding excuses to do this too often, I figure the occasional "bottomless pit" episode isn't really a big deal. Well, at least I hope it isn't.

Cheers.
Keepyerplantieson

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals