cmjens Discovering ME

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

cmjens Discovering ME

Postby cmjens » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:23 am

When I was a child, I was thin, didn't really pay food much attention and, was full of life and energy. At age 14, I began to develop as a woman and my height and weight increased to 5'4" and 112lbs. My mother put me on a 600 cal/day diet that she controlled, I was starving and I began to sneak food. I have struggled with binge eating ever since but my weight was in fair control (generally about 132-140 for many years (5'8") After the birth of my second child, I had much difficulty with my weight and found that I had hypothyroidism. I was started on medication at that point. However, no one ever told me the reason for my hypothyroid until about 10 years ago and yet, I still was not counseled in how to manage the Hashimoto's disease. Medication was still the only option. So, due to pain from the inflammation I limited my exercise. I am generally quite active however. I do not just sit and watch TV, in fact I rarely watch TV. My weight continued to climb and I have tried nearly every diet with limited success. After much prayer for guidance, I continued to research and came upon WFPB eating - I felt in my soul that this was the answer. I started that way of eating 3 years ago. I dropped about 50lbs rather quickly and then, started to eat less carefully - not paying attention to oils and sugars, eating out more, eating vegan junk foods and, my weight increased about 35 lbs over the last two years. Today I begin that journey to health again at age 59. However, this time I will do it with more fidelity, more carefulness, I've never ever posted or joined any type of online forum but, I am going to now. Today I begin with renewed commitment to health. I have 10 and soon to be 11 grandchildren and wish to live long to see them all grow up. I commit to them and to the rest of my family to be healthy so that I can more fully enjoy and be present in our relationships each day. I commit to God to be respectful of my body and of his creations - letting those live that might have died for my plate and choosing to partake only of plant life with gratitude for His most wonderful bounty. I commit to myself so I can have health, energy, vitality and, to learn to have full integrity in my choices and actions so I can feel contented and joyful!
beginning wt today (I was out of town for Friday's weigh in) 228.2 I am 5'8" This is my plan to follow today:

Breakfast - 1 peach, 16 oz steamed spinach with lemon juice, 1 medium baked potato
Lunch - Green salad with no oil dressing, Vegetable soup
Snack - apple
Dinner - Green salad with no oil dressing, 1 med baked potato topped with homemade vegetarian chile ( I make my own and bottle it)
My no oil dressing is made from balsamic vinegar reduction, dijon mustard, italian spices
cmjens

Re: cmjens Discovering ME

Postby cmjens » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:03 am

Yesterday - sugar craving like crazy! Able to hold tight and stay on course. They only change to menu was that I noticed my dinner plate did not include any veggies (after starting with the salad) so I added some broccoli to make my 50/50 plate. I also had 2 tiny yukon gold potatoes in the afternoon between lunch and dinner. I am determined!

Yesterday I was considering what was the catalyst to my 2 year vegan junk food stint - It all began with family crap. A very long story but, it ended with my very mentally ill mother threatening to shoot me because she didn't like my assertive and healthy response to her and my Dad's drama. I decided to cut contact with her and my dad and our family blew apart. I have 4 sisters and 2 of them (along with my parents) have been pressuring me to re-connect and I feel conflicted. My parents are 80 years old and I don't want them to die without resolving this somehow but, the thought of being drawn back into their continual "I'm going to kill myself" or "Your mother has been in bed for 2 weeks" or "Your dad ran away and didn't take any of his heart meds with him" drama leaves me feeling so overwhelmed and drained. I am an emotional eater and i am on a quest to change this so I don't want to be drawn back into the drama - yet being outside of the family is also a huge emotional burden.

Today's plan:
B- start with a banana, broccoli, steamed spinach, air fried potato.
L - start with salad, vegetable soup
D - salad, oven fried brussels and potato
No oil dressing on the salads
Fruit if I need a snack
cmjens

Postby cmjens » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Today I'm feeling increased stress - significant exposure to someone with COVID! BJ home now with me all day since we are in quarantine. Normally this would be a time that junk food would become my drug but, I'm feeling strong and determined still!
B- Banana, steamed spinach, air fried potato
L - Salad with no oil dressing, vegetable soup
s- tomatoe
D -Whole grain pasta with homemade no oil marinara, mushrooms, peas, carrots, zuchini
cmjens

Postby cmjens » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:10 pm

Thurs, Oct 8
Continue to feel motivated. COVID test is neg but, could be that we took the test too early. Still on quarantine for 10 more days.
I have tried to follow all 10-point check list but have struggled with #10. I have had a UTI so haven't been as active as usual. Hopefully next 24 hours Abx will be working and I'll feel better and can be more active. I like to be active but, struggle with planned exercise. However, in the past, when I do faithfully focus on this point- I feel so much better!

Today's meal plan:
B - 2 sm clementines, spinach, air-fried potato
L - banana, vegetable soup
D- Large green salad with no oil dressing, whole grain pasta with oil free marinara and vegetables

Tomorrow I'll weigh in for the group
cmjens

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals