HealthyAppetite's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

HealthyAppetite's Journal

Postby HealthyAppetite » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:15 am

I am an introvert so this is a big deal for me - making something like this public. I have been lurking around Dr. McDougall, Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. Greger for about 18 months and I have made a lot of progressive changes but I never fully committed. I would still have a few indulgences, telling myself that I was doing everything 90% right. Ha - what a lie. So, here I am, ready to commit myself. I actually started about 10 days ago and to my total shock, I am now down 10 pounds.

Little about me:
Weight: 224 this morning, starting weight 234
Height: 5'8"

I have to give credit to FrozenVeg - her journal inspired me and started this journey for me ten days ago. What an inspiration! The journal format let me see that success is all about making good decisions day after day after day.

My plan is to keep a journal of my daily food intake and my daily weight. I think I can edit my posts the next day to fix any food entries.

Saturday 3/13/2021:
Breakfast: Frozen broccoli, shredded hash browns (obviously fried dry), ketchup
Lunch: leftover steamed baby potatoes, bbq sauce, crunchy baby Persian cucumbers
Dinner: Spicy Mexican hash (frozen cubed potatoes, red/yellow/orange peppers, red onion, corn, jalapeños, seasoning) with fresh corn tortillas, taco sauce, cilantro, green onions
Last edited by HealthyAppetite on Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HealthyAppetite

Re: HealthyAppetite's Journal

Postby Daydream » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your weight loss!
Daydream

Postby Spiral » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:55 pm

HealthyAppetite,

I know what you mean about that 90 percent compliance thing. Maybe at first, one can be 90 percent compliant. But it can get away from you if you aren't careful and pretty soon it's more like 50 percent.

Keep it up and good luck to you.
Spiral

Postby HealthyAppetite » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:24 pm

Weight: 223.5

Breakfast: frozen broccoli, left over mexican hash with corn tortillas
Lunch: leftover steamed potatoes, bbq sauce, cucumbers
Dinner: baked falafel, whole wheat pita, cucumbers, dill, lettuce, tomato, onion, smidge of plain cashew yogurt
Snack: 2 rice cakes (slowly using them all up)

I’m so satisfied and bordering on stuffed tonight. It’s hard to believe this is real. Sundays are usually rough, pecking at everything in the kitchen. But somewhere on this board I read about potatoes squashing cravings and it worked yesterday and today at my peak snacky time at 2:00 pm. Excluding fats from my diet has also eliminated the extra calories from avocados, nuts, a slice of bread that I bought for the family. I’m sure I was getting a couple thousand calories a week from nuts alone. I put raw cashews in everything! And then add in natural peanut butter, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pecans...
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:18 am

Weight: 225.1

Breakfast: frozen broccoli, hashbrowns, ketchup
Lunch: leftover Mexican hash, corn tortillas
Dinner: leftover Mexican hash, rice, red onions, green onions
Snack: Persian baby cucumbers

I set the fire alarm off while cooking hashbrowns this morning - I think my 17-year-old cat was screaming louder than the alarms. My weight was a little higher this morning but the number is likely more accurate as I believe a lot of my recent weight loss was water weight. In other thoughts, Jeff Novick's posts make absolute sense. Last night I read the post about "hacks" and it helped immensely. I especially liked the quote at the end "We are here because we are an evidence & science based program." I have also saved the post with Dr. Lisle's lectures and I hope to start watching them this week. I have read Dr. Lisle's book in the past when I first started with letting go of dairy and meat in July of 2019.

I am off work all week and have a trip coming up - I (vaccinated) am traveling via car to see an elderly family member (also vaccinated) for the first time in 14 months! We last saw each other in January of 2020, right about the time I was first reading about Wuhan. I remember reading about the movie theaters shutting down in Wuhan and I thought that there was no way that could that happen here. It was also a clue to how serious the illness really was. Anyway, this will be my first trip since the pandemic started - I have basically only gone to work and the grocery store for over a year. (Well there have been a few trips to the hardware store, the car dealership for oil changes, the tire store for new tires, UPS to return packages, etc.)
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Weight: 225.5

Breakfast: none, driving
Lunch: frozen broccoli, leftover mex hash, rice, green onions
Snack: veggies and homemade lentil hummus (assured it was fat free but upon questioning it has tahini - she didn’t know tahini has fat :-) )
Dinner: baked potatoes, bbq sauce, broccoli, asparagus

On a trip so this will be a short entry today. But so far so good.
Last edited by HealthyAppetite on Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:21 pm

Weight: no scale, traveling

Breakfast: last of the mex hash, rice, asparagus, broccoli
Lunch: hummus, fresh veggies
Dinner: sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, broccoli, two slices French bread
Unintended snacking: after a few unplanned vodka drinks, I got into some jalapeño tortilla chips, had a slice of frozen sausage pizza, more bread and a cold hotdog. Wow, that got me off track. And I felt awful this morning - headache, sluggish, dizzy

What I wrote earlier in the day: Doing great. Lots of junk food around but I remind myself that there is also plenty of starch here and I don’t need to go hungry.
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:19 am

Breakfast: none, hungover, felt awful from the crap last night
Lunch: potatoes, broccoli, corn, bbq sauce, French bread
Planned snack: hummus, veggies
Planned dinner: sweet potatoes, broccoli, corn, tomatoes

I’m ready to get back to home and my routine. We head home tomorrow morning.
HealthyAppetite

Postby Principality » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:48 pm

I always feel lost without my routine. Funny how much we need it to function.
Starting weight : 240lbs, current 235.9 change -4.1
Principality

Postby HealthyAppetite » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:37 pm

Breakfast: none, traveling
Lunch: sweet potato, broccoli, corn
Snack while potatoes were cooking: I was so hungry when I got home - 2 slices Ezekial bread with jam, leftover corn & broccoli
Dinner: oven roasted potatoes with BBQ sauce

Finally home! Feels so good. My GI system doesn't feel so good - the water tasted different and I didn't drink anywhere near my usual amount. Traveling also gets me out of my normal GI routine as well. Hopefully things will be back to normal by Sunday. Overall, it was a great trip and I'm really surprised by how easy it was to eat what I planned. (Except for the vodka night.) We stopped at another family member's house halfway and I had packed leftovers that I reheated in the microwave. And it wasn't a big deal and no one really made any fuss about it.
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:32 am

Weight: 225.8
(I giggled a little because there is no way that I gained weight on this trip. My feet and hands are still swollen from traveling and then there is the whole GI issue as well.)

Brunch: Broccoli, potatoes, BBQ sauce
Lunch: corn tortillas, FF refried beans
Dinner: quinoa and vegetable stir fry

Glad to be home.
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:55 am

Weight: 225.5

Breakfast: leftover quinoa and vegetables
Lunch: corn tortillas and FF refried beans
Snack: baby carrots and ranch
Dinner: cereal bowl based on Rip Esselstyn's Big Bowl with frozen cherries and frozen blueberries (really good!)

The fridge is relatively empty today as we were traveling this week and I didn't make it to the grocery store. I have plenty of frozen vegetables however so I will come up with something. It may just be frozen stir fry with quinoa. I made the quinoa last night on a whim - turns out I like it much better than brown rice. It was quick and easy in the Instant Pot.

I"m back to my normal water intake and although my GI system is not quite back to normal, it is almost there.
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:56 am

Weight: 226.6

Brunch: baked potatoes, broccoli, BBQ sauce
Snack: baby carrots dipped in refried beans, one rice cake
Dinner: whole wheat thin pizza crust, bbq sauce, pineapple, red onions, shredded jackfruit

First day back at work. Went okay - had plenty of snacks and I as never hungry. The pizza was delicious and it’s been about 30 minutes and I am so full. I was thinking about getting on the treadmill for 30 minutes but that is all it turned out to be - thinking.
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:36 pm

Weight: 225.7

Breakfast: Cereal (based on Rip's Big Bowl), almond milk, frozen cherries & blueberries
Lunch: corn tortillas, refried beans, taco sauce
Dinner: planned potato leek soup with sautéed mushrooms and every vegetable I can sneak inside this soup

I watched a few videos yesterday, including one by Dr. McDougall about Maximum Weight Loss and the set point. I am considering MWL at this time but I'm not quite ready to give up flour all together (corn tortillas, Ezekiel bread and a little bit of four in homemade gravy, etc.). I have stopped cooking with nuts, particularly raw cashews, so that has been a pretty big change. And honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference. And I'm still thinking about dusting off the ol' treadmill for some walking later today.
HealthyAppetite

Postby HealthyAppetite » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:27 pm

Weight: 225.4

Brunch: potato soup
Late lunch: baked potato with BBQ sauce, 3 clementine cuties
Snack driving home: carrots, cucumbers
Dinner: Corn tortillas, refried beans, red onions, cereal, almond milk, blueberries & cherries

I was particularly hungry when I got home from work. The bean burritos didn’t fill me up so I finished with a small bowl of cereal and overdid it. I should have had a bag of frozen broccoli when I hit the door but I’m out since I haven’t been to the store. Tomorrow is grocery shopping day and I will buy twice the amount of frozen vegetables this week. I think I am going to make sushi this weekend - mine will be sans avocado (or fish or fish eggs...yuck!). Even though the weight seems to be stuck, I can tell in my work pants that I have lost a little weight. Keep on keeping on.
HealthyAppetite

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals