Ruff's Recommitment journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Ruff's Recommitment journal

Postby Ruff » Mon May 24, 2021 3:04 pm

Monday

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :D
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :D
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :D
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :D
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :D
6. Eliminate any added oil. :D
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :D
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :D
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :D
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :D

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
A good day, I am certainly getting into the swing of things now. the standard Starch Solution food is 2nd nature to me now, but MWL takes a bit more thinking about. However I think I have it down now. All I need to do now is wait for the weight!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue May 25, 2021 1:08 pm

I don't think I'd start a snack with soup or salad. Seems to me, if I wanted a snack and had soup, THAT would be the snack. But isn't porridge yummy for a treat? I put berries in mine. YUM.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ruff » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:07 pm

I am stepping away from MWL for June. I found I was thinking about food all the time. It was successful in speeding up the weight loss, and also in reminding me about the calorie density principles. However I think I will be happier with basic starch solution, which I know like the back of my hand. I have lost another 4lbs during May, averaging about a pound a week, and as my BMI is now 23.5 I could not carry that speed of weight loss on unless I stopped eating starch...or skipping meals...and we all know exactly how that ends :eek: . Also after aikido grading in 2 weeks time, I will be upping the running again, and that brings a number of MWL problems, not least the extra cooking/kitchen prep time (all that soup!). There ARE only so many hours in a day!

So Starch Solution here I come, this will feel like total freedom after a month of strict MWL :D

My big focus now is my 3rd kyu aikido grading. I did the mock grading last night and we can only say that hopefully the bad dress rehearsal means a good performance is true also for aikido gradings as well as theatre shows! So I have 2 weeks to get it polished. The main problem was I got out there ready to start...and my mind went completely blank! I am going to write the order of moves on a card and put it in the bathroom, then every time I brush my teeth or use the loo...there it is, and I can just read it over.

Weight wise, I am the only person in my family, my generation or older that does not have cancer. So I am trying to get to that cancer recommendation of being as lean as possible with actually being underweight. The idea is to use the SS to gently drift down, whilst still maintaining my activities. I am optimistic about this...done it before, can do it agin. :D
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:59 am

Ruff wrote:I am stepping away from MWL for June. I found I was thinking about food all the time. It was successful in speeding up the weight loss, and also in reminding me about the calorie density principles. However I think I will be happier with basic starch solution, which I know like the back of my hand. I have lost another 4lbs during May, averaging about a pound a week, and as my BMI is now 23.5 I could not carry that speed of weight loss on unless I stopped eating starch...or skipping meals...and we all know exactly how that ends :eek: . Also after aikido grading in 2 weeks time, I will be upping the running again, and that brings a number of MWL problems, not least the extra cooking/kitchen prep time (all that soup!). There ARE only so many hours in a day!

So Starch Solution here I come, this will feel like total freedom after a month of strict MWL :D

My big focus now is my 3rd kyu aikido grading. I did the mock grading last night and we can only say that hopefully the bad dress rehearsal means a good performance is true also for aikido gradings as well as theatre shows! So I have 2 weeks to get it polished. The main problem was I got out there ready to start...and my mind went completely blank! I am going to write the order of moves on a card and put it in the bathroom, then every time I brush my teeth or use the loo...there it is, and I can just read it over.

Weight wise, I am the only person in my family, my generation or older that does not have cancer. So I am trying to get to that cancer recommendation of being as lean as possible with actually being underweight. The idea is to use the SS to gently drift down, whilst still maintaining my activities. I am optimistic about this...done it before, can do it agin. :D

Oooh, that Aikido certification sounds exciting and challenging! I hope you smash it! My daughter used to practice tae kwan do, and I remember her practicing at home, getting the moves down, and in the correct order. I think you're wise to move to SS from MWL, if the MWL program is causing an obsession with food. The Starch Solution is perfectly fine, and you'll do well following that.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby katt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:37 am

Just read your post. I can understand what you go through. My big problem is my stomach is not hungry but the brain will not shut up about wanting something , it can be anything fruit, sandwich or anything. I don't no how to turn it off. I lost weight and was looking pretty good for a 64 year old but it started coming back. If you have any ideals on how to shut up the brain I would be so happy to hear.
Kat
katt

Postby ~Skye~ » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:08 am

Hi Ruff- I don't know if carbo-loading is part of aikido, but that would be difficult on MWL too. I think the move to SS makes sense too. Thanks for posting the MWL cheat sheet though. It is something for me to aim for!

Good luck with the grading!
~Skye~

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals