Lizzy finally does it!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lizzy finally does it!

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:49 am

I have struggled for so long to get and STAY on the McDougall wagon that it's down right embarrasing. I deeply appreciate Dr. McDougall all the people who keep this forum alive and HERE for people like me who just wander in the wilderness, then need a strong place to come back to.

I just signed up for the 12-day program in November. I am worth it. This is something I have wanted to do for a very long time. I finally asked myself what I've been waiting for, and couldn't come up with a good answer. The program will never be more accessible than it is now, so here I go.

I am not waiting until November to get re-started. I'm already underway. I found inspiration from a couple of Youtubers who just really spoke to me. I watched a video by Hungry Vegan Mama where she talked about her own long journey to finding consistent adherence to the Starch Solution. I could relate to the challenges she talked about from living in a mixed-food household (her husband is now WFPB, but wasn't when she finally figured out her own way of success) to living in a processed junk food world. Her strategies seem so simple but they have eluded me thus far. I can do better!

I also appreciated some words of wisdom from Melissa Alexandria, another Starch Solution advocate, who also talks about her early attempts and challenges before she was able to find consistent adherance. I know logically that I am not alone, but I have suffered with feelings such as "there is something wrong with me - I will never get this right" etc. etc. etc. That thinking is not serving me at all, so it has to go.

I think a big mistake I have made on this journey is focusing on weight loss too much and too soon. Physical hunger and psychological feelings of deprivation just trigger me back to junk food. (CRAP) That has been and enless cycle for years and years. So this time around, I am just going to focus on the Starch Solution and that is all for now. Once I feel like I have "time and adherence" going on with the Starch Solution principles, then I can worry about any tweaks that might be appropriate if weight is still an issue.

Husband is a meat, dairy and junk eater, so I have to learn to live in a mixed food household. One thing I HAVE done this past week is get really honest about what food is in the house. There was lots of food that he is not even interested in that was dragging me down. So now all of that food is gone. I have stocked up on basic starches (potatoes, rice, beans, lentils, corn, whole wheat pasta). I have batch cooked some things I love (potatoes, split pea soup, pasta with vegetables and no-oil marinara, black bean soup, "Cheez" sauce) and I'm stocking the freezer with meals that are thaw and go.

Todays game plan:

Exercise: Elliptical machine and a short walk if the weather is nice

Food:
B - oats + cherry berry blend
L - russet potatoes & broccoli with cheez sauce
D - Stir fry of rice and broccoli slaw (packaged, so easy) I will add low sodium Tamari and Sriracha sauce
Snacks/desserts - Fruit, carrots/celery, potato

I'm going to make a big batch of rice when I make the stir fry so I can freeze some cooked rice too. I think I'm going to try Jeff N's rice cooking method - I haven't tried that before.

I am SO EXCITED about the 12-day program! I think being officially supported by medical personnel is going to make this all feel even more "real" and more important to me. I hope. The Pleasure Trap is real.
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Re: Lizzy finally does it!

Postby Daydream » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:13 am

Lizzy, I look forward to hearing about your experience with the 12-day program!
Daydream

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:46 pm

Hi Lizzy! :)

I so relate to what you have written -- especially about "off and on plan" and dealing with living with folks not eating the same.

It sounds like you have a great beginning and YOU are worth it!! Love that!!! :cool:

I am planning to attend the November 12 day program as well... (have got off work, just need to register... )... Hope to "meet you" then!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:58 pm

Daydream - I seriously can't wait and I will definitely provide lots of feedback here about the experience!

Stephanie - I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!!!! I'm so excited - aren't you? I have wanted to go to the 10-day program in Santa Rosa for years, but could never work it out schedule wise and financially. I think there is some good that has come out of the pandemic related restrictions - more remote access to things that may have been out of reach before for various reasons. I look forward to sharing this experience with you and getting to know you better!! I'm going to look for your journal if you have one, as a place to start!

Today has been a positive day overall. I did come across an oil containing product that I missed in my kitchen clean out. I consumed a small amount, but now, thankfully, it is gone. The rest of my food for the day was according to plan. And I actually exceeded my modest exercise goals. Another good reason to set modest goals - it feels awesome to overachieve and now I am motivated to do it again tomorrow. I added a bit of hula hoop to my walking and pedaling (eliptical) today. And a (very) few jumps with the jump rope. I'm a little worred about tripping myself with the jump rope so I'm not too sure about continuing that.

Onward and foward with simplicity....

Plan for tomorrow:

B - Oatmeal + cherry berry blend
L - Potatoes, broccoli and "cheez" sauce (this recipe makes a TON. Will this freeze well? The base is chashews, white beans, veg broth)
D - Rice & broccoli slaw stir fry
Snacks - fruit, veg, potato if needed
Exercise: Walking if weather permits, elliptical, hula hoop. Short times for all as I'm getting started.
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:35 pm

Lizzy_F wrote:Stephanie - I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!!!! I'm so excited - aren't you? I have wanted to go to the 10-day program in Santa Rosa for years, but could never work it out schedule wise and financially. I think there is some good that has come out of the pandemic related restrictions - more remote access to things that may have been out of reach before for various reasons. I look forward to sharing this experience with you and getting to know you better!! I'm going to look for your journal if you have one, as a place to start!

Hi Lizzy! :-D

I am ridiculously EXCITED to attend McD program!!! Love how you have jumped in to getting on McD program and looking forward to meeting you!!

I have 3 journals... 1 current (pretty boring) and 2 others... (that is that "off and on" program)...

I have always wanted to attend in-person McD Program and especially when my mom was following McD (loosely) --- because I know she would have benefited (even more than me...). You are right that Covid has made certain experiences more attainable (but a bit different). I was lucky that McD "light" (eliminate meat & dairy & oils ) helped me to eliminate autoimmune disease (RA) from re-emerging (I had JRA from 3-16/17) - back in early 2000's...

I am intrigued by hula hoop exercise !! Love that!! :-D I have an old "Lemon twist" (on ankle) that may be fun for exercise - I may give that a whirl!!!

Love your journal!! Love your enthusiasm!! You have this, future friend!!! :) Onward!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:24 am

Stephanie I am so happy for you that even "McD Light" took the RA out of your life. I don't have RA but DO have a lot of joint issues (I've had 2 hip replacements in my 50's) and my knees are a mess as well as my back. I'm sure inflammation is a big part of all this pain and stiffness so I'm really hoping that "time and adherence" will give me good results. Your story in encouraging!

Hula hooping is really fun. I'm so rusty - I had gotten where I could stay at it for quite a while in both directions. But after a long lay off, yesterday I could barely keep it going in only one direction, and was a complete fail in the other. Oh well - I'm calling on my inner 6 year old to help me get going again! :D

On the 12-day program prep... I've never done "order your own" lab work before. Quest Diagnostics is the convenient lab to me. You can order your own tests there. As I was trolling Mr. Google in search of a possible coupon code for discounts, I came across another web site called walkinlab.com. You can order testing through them for a significant savings over Quest direct, and then go to Quest to get the lab work. So I signed up for that. I hope it's not a rip off LOL. I'm so gullible. I'm not planning on getting my blood drawn until early October so I guess I will find out then if this was a scam.

Off to get on the elliptical for a few minutes and then take a walk. Then some hula hoop for fun, and then OATMEAL!!!!!! I really do love oatmeal. Easy to please I guess!
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:14 pm

Lizzy_F wrote:Stephanie I am so happy for you that even "McD Light" took the RA out of your life. I don't have RA but DO have a lot of joint issues (I've had 2 hip replacements in my 50's) and my knees are a mess as well as my back. I'm sure inflammation is a big part of all this pain and stiffness so I'm really hoping that "time and adherence" will give me good results. Your story in encouraging!

Hula hooping is really fun. I'm so rusty - I had gotten where I could stay at it for quite a while in both directions. But after a long lay off, yesterday I could barely keep it going in only one direction, and was a complete fail in the other. Oh well - I'm calling on my inner 6 year old to help me get going again! :D

On the 12-day program prep... I've never done "order your own" lab work before. Quest Diagnostics is the convenient lab to me. You can order your own tests there. As I was trolling Mr. Google in search of a possible coupon code for discounts, I came across another web site called walkinlab.com. You can order testing through them for a significant savings over Quest direct, and then go to Quest to get the lab work. So I signed up for that. I hope it's not a rip off LOL. I'm so gullible. I'm not planning on getting my blood drawn until early October so I guess I will find out then if this was a scam.

Off to get on the elliptical for a few minutes and then take a walk. Then some hula hoop for fun, and then OATMEAL!!!!!! I really do love oatmeal. Easy to please I guess!

Hi Lizzie!! :cool:

I hope that you are doing well! I love your enthusiasm and what you are doing!! I look forward to meeting you in November!! I am not addressing any specifics because I have been sick this week... I have short attention span / ability to articulate. I will circle back with your post when I feel better. Just wanted to say "you go girl"!!! :D

I think you mentioned on my journal that you are in IL... I am as well... NW suburbs... :) Take care and keep going!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals