No topic.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Trinity » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:41 pm

Marilyn, thank you for sharing that part of your history with me! I am so impressed that you were able to walk away from alcohol even after having worked in a bar! I am definitely already seeing positive results. I really thought it was too good to be true to stop drinking AND not continue craving it so I started reading the Allen Carr book out of curiosity, but he’s right! It’s possible! And thank you to everyone who has mentioned Atomic Habits which brought me to this book in the first place—I think this has been you, Marilyn, and at least Stephanie and Katie too and probably others. It really is all about mindset! Like the example of the man in the wheelchair who said he was so grateful to be in a wheelchair—otherwise he’d be stuck laying in a bed all day.

This is my current “to-read” list:
The Island (life has been pretty action-packed recently so I haven’t been reading much but I’m excited to get to this!)
The Chain (Adrian McKintey)
Into the Water & The Girl on the Train by Paula Haskins
Memphis
Where the Crawdads Sing (has anyone read this? My MIL kept mentioning it this summer so I got curious)

I am positive that except for Crawdads I gleaned all these from either your journal, Marilyn, or Stephanie’s or Katie’s! :D

Stephanie, I did not know about the word “emetophobic” until a few years ago but once I came across it I said yep that’s me. It’s not so bad as to be debilitating (and I am self-diagnosed if you can even call it that)—some people are afraid to go out in public or even be around other people because of this fear. And it’s totally irrational! Heck, NO one likes to throw up or be around someone who is, so I just tell myself it will end eventually and it is not that big of a deal. So far no one else has gotten sick this week. I think next time this happens when my husband’s out of town I will be a big girl and not ask my mom to come. I’m afraid sometime she’ll catch it and then I’d feel terrible. Worst case scenario, we’re stuck at home and all the kids miss school and any after-school activities—no big deal. Anyways—you are NOT dumb!!!

So even though I ate on-plan today I am going to say :( as last night I took my son to a baseball meeting at school and they had chocolate chip cookies, one of which he brought me on a napkin so I ate it. I exercised too—I managed to jog for 30 minutes around my neighborhood without stopping to walk but I won’t tell you how slow I was going—ha. It was just a little experiment, I’m sure I’ll be sore tomorrow and Saturday.
Trinity

Re: No topic.

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:34 pm

Hi Trinity!!! :D :-D :)

Thanks for all that you share!!! You knock it out of the park!!!

Hey, Girl on the Train ... Also incredible book!!! I simply cannot keep up with my book pile either... :lol: We just try, yeah??

I really only wanted to say that I 100% relate to what you said about what is bothering you and the classification as "irrational"... So, with you kid 100%...personally, I have anxiety --- that is just an emotion that we all may experience, yay? And I do classify "logical" vs. "illogical" (or irrational) --- which may or may not be helpful... Seems like you are going forward in a great way --- and have to LOVE that!! YAY, that you have support --- only suggestion (unsolicited, so sorry!)... don't kick your own self... Be kind!!! Buy yourself flowers or diamond rings... :lol:

I am so hoping that your kids feel better and that you have a great week!!! I love your journal and so appreciate how you share your experience.

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:54 pm

I read "Where the Crawdads Sing" a couple of years ago and it is excellent !! I think it may be a movie now.

-Marilyn
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:10 pm

Thank you Stephanie! Yes—thanks—I am not as hard on myself as I used to be but thank you for saying that!

Marilyn, if you say it was good then I’ll keep it on my list—thanks.

Today was good but I did sample some vegan edible cookie dough this afternoon (in a celebratory mood being so close to finishing the Allen Carr book) so (1) :) but I’m sure (2) :( and I exercised (walked). Husband finally got home around 8 pm. I made sloppy lentil joes (cooked lentils in the instant pot then drained and mixed with canned sloppy joe sauce which is amazingly vegan and oil-free) which the boys and I ate and the girls had pasta. Everyone seems to be feeling all right though my older daughter is getting a cold and my son managed to injure himself at PE today. Also it only took my youngest 3 days of school to not want to go anymore but I think (hope) she’s just still tired/recovering from her illness on Wednesday. We are all glad it’s the weekend.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:11 pm

Today: (1) & (2) :( due to sampling the Tiger Stripe Fudge my older daughter made. Exercised (run-walk) but struggled. Next time I may try to have something small to eat beforehand like a little individual applesauce cup and see if that helps.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:57 pm

Today: (1) :) (2) :) and exercised (run-walk)—made it to week 10 (though I did one last 9-1 today)! Eating a little cup (1/2 cup I think) of applesauce helped but I sure felt better over the summer. Probably just lack of sleep. Next time I’ll attempt 10-1 at my super-slow pace. If I make it I’ll probably stick to 10-1 for quite awhile and just work on upping my speed a little. I would like to be able to cover 3 miles in the 33 minutes but I’m nowhere near that yet for sure.

Now reading Allen Carr’s book on “losing weight for women” out of curiosity. Guess what? It’s just like the Pleasure Trap! I’m not that far in but he talks about how a squirrel can eat a bunch of acorns and still run up a tree, like in one of Dr. Lisle’s recent YouTubes (I think with Chef AJ) when he says a deer will eat grass but then run away if threatened. In another words, animals are not tempted to overeat when they’re eating their natural food. We’ll see where this goes!
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:27 am

Well, no surprise, he did not get the food right, but after all his only evidence was watching a squirrel—he says humans should eat fruit, nonstarchy vegetables, nuts, and seeds, and though he says unequivocally that meat and dairy are bad for humans, it’s all right to eat some as a “junk margin” when there’s not enough “perfect” food (fruit/nonstarchy veg./nuts/seeds) or whatever. Good thing we know Dr. McD has done his homework.

Today: (1) :) (2) :) and I will do some sort of exercise on the treadmill later—hopefully run-walk as Tues.-Wed. is busy.
Trinity

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:01 am

Hey there. I've been thinking about simplifying my checklist and thought of you immediately.

Nothing animal
Nothing added fat.

right? I'm going to study the MWL guidelines, but I know from experience how that can wear me out and I need simplicity right now.
No animal :)
No added fat :) :unibrow:

You have the GREATEST ideas!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Trinity » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:07 am

Aww, thanks Heidi, but Jeff Novick deserves the credit there! I posted something awhile ago he had to delete and gently scold me and in that PM, he said:

“The McDougall program has 2 basic rules:

1. No animal products.
2. No oil.”

And it was refreshing. Simplicity!

I saw you posted in your journal and I opened it in a new tab when I can sit and read in carline later. My McDougall soup cups arrived yesterday—yay!

Today: (1) :) and (2) :) and exercised (walked but did run-walk yesterday—hard and 3 days in a row but now I can wait until Thursday to try 10-1 again). Hoping the rain continues through the evening so cross-country practice gets canceled.
Trinity

Postby Ejeff » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:17 am

Trinity,

Thanks for the reminder about the 2 basic rules. It’s easy to make this so much more complicated in my mind. Quite often I keep thinking I should follow the MWL program as I do consume a fair amount of nuts and seeds. It’s encouraging to remember that if I stick to the 2 basic rules I’m still following the McDougall plan. Eating out is always the difficult part as avoiding oil is not easy. Of course it can be done...I just haven’t made it a priority I suppose.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Trinity » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:59 pm

Hey Erin! Yeah—when I go out to eat I always assume there’s oil in my food. If only my husband would deign to eat Chinese or Japanese because then it’s easy to get rice and steamed vegetables or sushi but no luck. We rarely eat out as it is but when we do I don’t worry about it.

Cross-country practice was not canceled but my husband surprisingly got home early from work so I could leave my youngest at home with him. However, he made her a hot dog and let her watch TV, and they didn’t start eating dinner till we got home so she didn’t go to bed on time anyway which is the whole point of me wanting to leave her at home. I’m saying it here now so hopefully I won’t forget to again: even if husband is home take youngest to cross-country practice. And least she can play on the playground.

Today: (1) :) (2) :) and exercised (walked). Last busy evening of the week.
Trinity

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:38 pm

Hey Trinity!! :-D :) :-)

YAY on your running and have to say that you make me happy / laugh with your posts !! :-D

Had to check in with you as my friend was over today that "made me" read McKinty "The Chain"... and I'm like, dude, what about "The Island"... She is busy... BUT, just READ IT NOW... :D :-D :)

Can't remind you of the food; you've got that!! :cool: I am just glossing over "scolded"... :lol:

Hope you have an excellent week!

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby JeffN » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:15 am

Trinity wrote:Aww, thanks Heidi, but Jeff Novick deserves the credit there! I posted something awhile ago he had to delete and gently scold me and in that PM, he said:

“The McDougall program has 2 basic rules:

1. No animal products.
2. No oil.”

thanks for the credit! :)

However, let me put this in proper perspective and context.

What seems to have come out of our communication is that these 2 rules are the core definition and just following these two rules qualifies for following the McDougall program.

Unfortunately this is not true.

Why? Because one can easily follow these 2 rules and have a diet that is all, or mostly all, high fat vegan CRAP and that would not be healthy or McDougalling. The reason is, these 2 fundamental rules are only about what not to eat and do not cover the issue of what to eat. That is one if the problems with veganism in general. It only tells you what not to eat but gives no clarity on what to eat.

What to eat? Fortunately, that is just as simple and easy and is outlined in either the 10 points of the Regular Program or the 10 points of the McDougall MWL program. Or, as I have said here before.

"I eat a diet that is based predominately on a variety of unprocessed and/or minimally processed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, roots/tuber, intact whole grains and legumes that is lower in calorie density, fat and saturated fat and contains little to no added salt, sugar or oils, and adapted to my unique personal situation."

So, if you are only concerned with making sure you have no oil and no animal products each day, congratulations. However, don't be fooled. That is not the Mcdougall program. What to eat is as much, if not more so, a fundamental part of the program as what not to eat.

I hope that helps clarify things

In Health
Jeff

JeffN

Postby Trinity » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:13 am

Yesterday,

I ATE A DIET THAT IS BASED PREDOMINANTLY ON A VARIETY OF UNPROCESSED AND/OR MINIMALLY PROCESSED FRUITS, VEGETABLES, STARCHY VEGETABLES, ROOTS/TUBERS, INTACT WHOLE GRAINS AND LEGUMES THAT IS LOWER IN CALORIE DENSITY, FAT, AND SATURATED FAT AND CONTAINS LITTLE TO NO ADDED SALT OR SUGAR AND ABSOLUTELY NO ADDED OILS

and TODAY I’m going to do the SAME THING and I am going to fit in a 10-1 run-walk though it will have to be after the kids are in bed.
Trinity

Postby Ejeff » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:42 am

Good points thanks Jeff. I do follow the 50/50 plate to make sure I get my starches and vegetables and eating fruit isn’t a problem.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals