No topic.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: No topic.

Postby Trinity » Sun May 01, 2022 6:57 pm

Haha—thanks Marsha. You’re right! I do that with waffles, I should have also done it with the sweet stuff!

I used the rest of the chickpea pasta to make a minestrone-type soup which is pretty good.

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, dried pineapple, the rest of the McD whole-wheat cake (husband had some), a couple waffle sticks my daughter couldn’t finish (McD), maple syrup, potatoes, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, 3 oz. gin, soup, fruit, some Sour Patch Kids. Exercised.

Youngest’s legs seem fine. Whew. All fine here I guess. I went on a big commissary trip this afternoon by myself which was wonderful. I confess that “exercise” usually means walking around my house for 30 min though today I did 11 of the minutes outside. I am hoping that once school’s out (first day of summer is May 21) I can start exercising (for real, like where I actually sweat) in the mornings like I used to. My older daughter’s birthday is at the end of the month and she wants it to be extra special since she’s turning 10—aack. That said she only specifically wants to invite 4 school friends. I am hoping she opts for having it at a place. To be continued.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Mon May 02, 2022 4:08 pm

Today: black coffee (this was a big mistake—I told myself I “needed” it which is rarely true), the rest of the chickpea pasta soup, the rest of a couple Silk yogurts the kids opened (can you freeze those? I wonder what would happen), fruit, potatoes, 1 Diet Coke, Split Pea Soup, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, 3 oz. gin, Sour Patch Kids. Exercised.

I was looking forward to today as a fresh start but yesterday ended up being so busy I didn’t have any potatoes peeled and ready in the fridge. It occurred to me too late that oatmeal is always fast and I rehydrated some dried mulberries I found in the freezer (which really worked) which I want to use up. I put them in 1/2 cup portions in ziplock bags back in the freezer. Anyways, every once in awhile the kids want yogurt and I refuse to buy them regular yogurt. So they eat some Silk yogurt until the novelty has worn off and then I can stop buying it. So expensive. And one little Silk Almond yogurt has 11 g fat! The soy is not as bad but still 3.5 g. When MIL was here and eating Activia she told my son he should eat yogurt every day for his digestion which is how the latest craze started. My SIL also told my older daughter the same week that eating the fat on a steak is good for your skin but she (daughter) was tactful enough to keep her mouth shut and ask me about it later. I don’t actually know (or care) skin-wise but I could confidently tell her that beef fat is NOT good for you. Anyways, the yogurt is gone. And since I was already messing up I figured I’d mess up further with some alcohol and both real and fake sugar. That makes a lot of sense, huh? Not a great day overall, food or otherwise, but still (1) no animal products (2) no oil. And I actually walked on the treadmill in my hot garage.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue May 03, 2022 4:06 pm

Today (nailed it): tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, fruit, potatoes, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, oatmeal. Exercised, but not feeling great as of last night (sore throat/runny nose/cough/fatigue—dropped youngest off at preschool and came home and slept for 2 1/2 hours and maybe it would have even been 3 if my phone hadn’t kept ringing) so I’m back to walking around the house. It was very hot today (in comparison to how it’s been the last few days). But last night I walked for an hour and earlier today I almost walked for 10 min but didn’t quite make it so it didn’t count. So tired. Lots of oolong tea.

Either the mulberries or oatmeal tasted old/musty. Not bad enough to throw out that bowl but next time yes. I’ll test the oatmeal plain tomorrow. I haven’t eaten oatmeal in awhile and my husband only eats the quick oats so it might be that. If not I’ll toss the mulberries which had been in the pantry for quite awhile too, hidden behind something, before I stuck them in the freezer.

Haha, it sure takes a long time to say very little. Youngest has 7 more days of school and the big kids have 13, though 2 are half-days. I will miss a quiet house but I will NOT miss waking up so early.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Wed May 04, 2022 6:35 pm

Today before 7 pm: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, potatoes, oatmeal (tasted fine so tossed the mulberries), fruit, vegetables, balsamic vinegar. Exercised.

Today after 7 pm: 1 beer, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, peas, 1 glass of red wine, some Sour Patch Kids (they’re almost gone).

No animal products, no oil. McD mashed potatoes with gravy and corn and peas is one of my favorite meals. My husband said, “This dinner is from the earth.” As they ALL should be! So tired today I guess from this cold. When I tried to take a nap I kept getting calls because the bug man was trying to come do his monthly spray. Each month you have to call and ask for it and then he starts calling me to tell me he’s coming but I guess he’d rather I be here than come in the house when I’m not home. He is such a sweet, friendly young guy and the bugs can get bad down here so really I appreciate his conscientiousness. Anyway, definitely in a sleep deficit. As a result (I guess) I did so many dumb things today. Example: it was time to leave the house to take the older kids to school (7:15) and luckily my older daughter was like, “Mom? Should we get our lunches?” as I had left them on the counter instead of sticking them in their backpacks. Duh. Whew. She is the best. Almost felt like pregnancy brain which please I hope not—too old.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Thu May 05, 2022 6:40 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, white rice, fruit, Split Pea Vegetable Soup, potatoes, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, 2 glasses of red wine, Shredded Wheat and Raisin Bran with more unsweetened Silk for dinner (husband out of town for one night and late night with gymnastics). Exercised.

Finally cleared out the cereal shelf.

Feeling better today. Still tired but got a quick nap in before picking up youngest from preschool. Bug man finally came this afternoon. My son told me a kid got sick in one of his classes but that doesn’t mean he will. No reason for me to freak out. What happens happens.

Husband offered to take the kids Saturday during the day before we have an event at their school that evening. Much appreciated and he will probably take them out to buy Mother’s Day cards. I will probably take the opportunity to sleep.

Probably haven’t mentioned this because it’s kind of embarrassing (well, my parents think so) but I’ve spent about 4 months watching almost all the movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I already saw Iron Man in the theater when it came out in 2008 and thought it was awesome. I skipped a few that just didn’t sound interesting or didn’t have any of the main players but watched enough to finally understand all the players and backstories that happen in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. It really felt like an accomplishment because when I first watched them before watching any of the others I had no idea what was going on. Anyways, now that I’ve stopped watching the movies I’m watching the TV series “Loki” which is pretty good. Owen Wilson is in it! Anyways, if you need something to watch that’s entertaining but not so good you’ll stay up too late, I recommend the MCU. It helps to do it in order, either the order they came out or chronological order (for example, Captain Marvel came out in 2019 but takes place in the 90s) which you can Google. Also all the movies are free if you subscribe to Disney+ with the exception of The Hulk with Edward Norton back in 2008 before the Hulk started being played by I think it’s Mark Ruffalo who is (arguably) way better. Also there’s another Dr. Strange, another Guardians of the Galaxy, and another Thor coming out but I’ll probably wait till I can just watch them on Disney+. Spider-Man: No Way Home will not be available there till July 2023 supposedly but I am going to try to be patient.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Fri May 06, 2022 6:25 pm

Typing this in without first saving a draft so it doesn’t do that tiny text thing.

Today: 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, tea, potatoes, fruit, corn tortillas, pinto beans, taco sauce, 1 beer, 1 glass of red wine, corn, a couple bites of 2 different kinds of really old Starburst candy canes which are oil-free (those are terrible and are now in the trash) and then some Starburst FaveRed jellybeans (which do contain mineral oil) so I wouldn’t eat chocolate but I still really want chocolate!

Grr, spellcheck first changed “tea” to “yea” which is NOT a WORD (it’s “yeah” of course). I am peeved because I decided to peel a bunch of carrots and the peelings clogged up my kitchen sink again! I didn’t even put any potato peelings down! This is like the 5th time this has happened. Last time it was fixed the workman said our disposal was on its way out so I guess that’s the culprit, though the pieces of carrot that came back up seemed pretty small. Also for YEARS I tried to get my husband to write on the grocery list on a magnetic notepad on the fridge when we ran out of something which we always did in my family but he NEVER WOULD so I finally gave up because usually it was something he used that I didn’t care about. But apparently he ate a secret massive salad this week at some point because all the lettuce was gone which ruined belated-Cinco-de-Mayo-taco-night for my older daughter. And really who can eat a taco without lettuce? I guess I wouldn’t be so mad if I didn’t go to Publix AND Walmart AND the commissary this morning. Grrr!!! When his mom goes grocery shopping she sits down with a blank piece of paper and says, “What do we need?” How could you possibly know?! Without forgetting anything??? Unloading here because husband is not home from his trip yet.

Anyways, we had potato tacos which consisted of a bag of frozen shredded potatoes and a bag of McCormick lower sodium mild taco seasoning so at least that part was good.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sat May 07, 2022 8:05 pm

It still did the tiny text thing yesterday so riddle me that, Batman.

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, Split Pea Soup, taco potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, taco sauce, fruit, 1 Diet Coke, Cheerios, sweetened Silk, a vegan burrito (flour tortilla so contained oil and otherwise just rice, beans, and corn), 1 Dr. Pepper, half of a glass of red wine, 1 beer. Exercised.

Kitchen sink still clogged so that means the dishwasher is unusable so washing dishes by hand. I got to sleep in so I could actually get stuff done while my husband took the girls out—my son had a sore throat and was coughing a lot so stayed home. Built 2 sets of shelves for the garage, walked on the treadmill for an hour, did a bunch of other stuff before the thing at the kids’ school. Husband replaced the lettuce, heheheh.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sun May 08, 2022 6:26 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, 2 cinnamon rolls (not McD), potatoes, ketchup, chocolate, 1 glass of white wine, hummus (contained oil), vegetables, olives, “pita chips” that were deep fried wedges of pita bread (!), 1 brownie (not McD), 1 Diet Coke, corn, corn tortillas, salsa. Exercised. Happy Mother’s Day!
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Mon May 09, 2022 6:54 pm

Feeling tired and uninspired. Husband left yesterday afternoon for another week-long trip and both girls were exhausted from waking up super early (and waking me up 4 times, 2 per, before I was ready to get up). My youngest who is usually a sweetheart was a complete brat starting yesterday afternoon until she took an almost 3-hour nap this afternoon. Kitchen sink fixed but they didn’t register the call from Friday evening at all. Then the workman came back and replaced the disposal with a new one which was great—much quieter and doesn’t vibrate the whole countertop. While he was installing it I got a call that my older daughter was sick at school and had to go pick her up. Luckily it was just a fever and headache and she seems fine now though will have to miss tomorrow due to the 24-hour-symptom-free rule which I understand and is fine. Husband called and when I told him about the day he was like, “Oh,” as if he hadn’t heard anything I just said! My kids rarely come home sick from school. Whatever. Made some bad decisions (2 beers + Easter chocolate) though a good day up until then.

Also, not to get into it but since about April 26 I have been very, very anxious about something that might happen and I won’t know for sure until at least this Friday if not after but it’s worse when I’m alone and have no distractions. I know deep, deep down no matter what happens it will eventually be fine but right now I am a wreck and I just probably won’t be able to get back on track until this is resolved. Gah!

I am looking forward to tomorrow though it sounds crazy. I hate when my kids are sick of course but it means a hang-around, do-nothing day for me, though I’d like to get really caffeinated and clean the house…we’ll see.

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, potatoes, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, fruit. Then 2 beers, Split Pea Soup, 10 bite-sized pieces of candy (Milky Way, Snickers, Twix), and some of the kids’ leftover chocolate in the fridge. Exercised.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue May 10, 2022 4:34 pm

Felt much more positive this morning but by midafternoon my kids were driving me crazy.

Forgot to mention yesterday that I had some oatmeal with fruit when I was craving something sweet (then unfortunately went on to eat all the chocolate).

I did manage to do a lot of cleaning and my reward afterwards was a cup of coffee.

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, fruit, potatoes, black coffee, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, brown rice, small hunk of oil-free white bread, soup (all nonstarchy vegetables except for a can of pumpkin), 2 beers. Exercised.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Wed May 11, 2022 6:33 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, fruit, potatoes, soup, balsamic vinegar, vegetables, nutritional yeast, 1 bite-sized Caramello, 2 beers, the rest of my son’s bowl of McD Noodle Soup (from recipe), the rest of my daughter’s McD vegan chicken noodle soup cup, brown rice, brown sugar. Exercised.

I was listening to the most recent Chef AJ YouTube with Doug Lisle (it’s a Q&A), from Jan. 15, 2022 and I’m not that far in but I wanted to write down something he said. A lady asked: if there is no such thing as emotional eating why do I eat more, and more rich food, when I’m stressed? And his answer is because all of us, at all times, are always being driven to eat rich food because it’s hard-wired into our brains from caveman times, and we shouldn’t ever be embarrassed or try to figure out “why” when we do cave in and eat off-plan food. What he says is (took screenshots of the transcript so pretty close):

“…so, to then try to come up with an explanation as to why it is that you’re doing this naughty thing: it is a fruitless activity and you are chasing down psychological reasoning that makes superficial sense [he’s talking about “stress eating” type of thing] but it actually doesn’t make any sense at all. But, ‘Why, when I’m more stressed, would I lean toward rich foods?’ You’re leaning toward rich foods all the time! You never stop leaning towards rich foods. That is your biology. That is an omnipresent force that is never going away. There is no higher yogic plane that you’re supposed to be at, that is the secret trick for you to not have this issue. This issue is an omnipresent force in every animal nervous system…”

And it goes on but I had to go. I’m looking forward to hearing the rest. He also tells this story that one of Alan Goldhamer’s teenaged kids (I think this is from when they were writing The Pleasure Trap) brought home ice cream for a party and put it in the freezer in the garage and Alan Goldhamer’s wife—so, all SOS-free, all the time, no exceptions—told them that the thought about the ice cream crossed her mind every 10-15 minutes. In other words, even the most perfect plant-based people are tempted by rich food. We all are. So, when you eat something off plan, don’t try to ask yourself why, just get back on-plan as soon as possible. Your body will thank you someday. Anyways, it was nice to hear.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Thu May 12, 2022 6:57 pm

I keep forgetting to mention that I got into the rest of a bag of Starburst FaveRed jellybeans on Tuesday night after I posted.

I still haven't finished the Doug Lisle video but I watched some more of it and it made me sad.

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, mashed potatoes, fruit, corn, peas, soup, white rice, brown sugar, 2 beers. Exercised.

I started reading my own journal from the beginning and it's pretty cringe-y so sorry about that. I'm going to finish reading it properly after this, I'm even on my laptop. The only other time I've tried to post from here it froze so let's hope that doesn't happen again. This computer blows. Anyways, my youngest fell asleep on the way home from gymnastics and is now snoozing on the sofa, she didn't eat dinner or get a bath and is still in her school clothes. This is not good because a little girl in her class missed school today due to stomach illness so I am on high alert. If she's sick I don't see how I could possibly get my other kids to school because my husband doesn't come home until tomorrow night. But they only have a half day. And maybe everything will be fine.

I did notice how back when I started this I wasn't posting my food because I was too embarrassed to post the 2 drinks a day, every day. Not anymore. I know I'm drinking too much. Honestly I agree with Drs. Lisle and Goldhamer that any amount is too much. Alcohol is my C.R.A.P. downfall. Starting today there wasn't even anything good. The wine is gone and I have not bought more and I'm not going to open anything in my husband's Italian stash. I finished the Happy-Easter-to-me pack of beer I got yesterday and tonight had 2 of my husbands' which weren't very good. 1 of one kind, 1 of another, neither worth it. I looked around for anything else that wasn't whiskey--bleah--but no luck. Not that desperate. I found one last bottle of limoncello I think I'll take care of next until I am out of crisis mode. Sometimes feeling hopeful, sometimes not. Anyways, I finished Anna Green's journal and she hasn't been back since covid so now I need someone else's.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Fri May 13, 2022 6:31 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, black coffee, sourdough bread (white, oil-free), 4 oz. limoncello. Exercised.

Interesting to read journal. Glad it’s the weekend. Youngest slept through the night (as did all of us, whew). Husband coming home tonight but his flight which was already going to get him here late is delayed. Saturday we’ll be doing nothing for sure, I’m looking forward to it.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sat May 14, 2022 5:51 pm

Potential crisis of the last 3 weeks officially averted. I am so relieved. Whew. Thank God.

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, white rice, fruit, potatoes, soup, brown sugar, 2 glasses of sparkling white wine (Mother’s Day gift), corn tortillas, salsa, ketchup. Exercised. Life is good and I am so grateful.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sun May 15, 2022 7:40 pm

Today: tea, 2 oz. unsweetened Silk, potatoes, corn tortillas, white rice, salsa, brown sugar, 4 oz. limoncello, fruit, vegetables, balsamic vinegar, oil-free breaded okra (had a glyceride ingredient upon closer inspection), ketchup, BBQ sauce, part of a non-McD brownie. Exercised.

Great weekend—barely left the house. One more week of school.
Trinity

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals