Starflower’s Journey to Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Starflower’s Journey to Health

Postby Starflower » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:07 pm

I’m late updating my journal for last week. Re-reading my journal while there was some spare time was an eye-opener. So here goes trying to define and avoid the obstacles.

It’s obvious that fat - from oil, nuts or whatever - is my stumbling block. That makes sense considering that most of my childhood comfort foods were full of butter and cream. It was a family tradition, sadly. All those creamy, fatty vegan foods fill the gap nicely. Except they’re not helping me to get healthier, even the whole food ones.

Sometimes trying to remember what NOT to eat gets confusing and overwhelming, especially under stress. I think I would have more success with fewer options. A short list of compliant foods that are enjoyable for me, and nothing else, even if it’s MWL compliant. Not quite a Mary’s Mini, but closer to that than MWL typically is. That seems like it would be easier for me than playing dietary whack-a-mole with problem foods like I’m doing now.

Foods to include for now:

Potatoes and sweet potatoes
Oats, corn and rice
Beans, lentils and peas
Winter and summer squashes
Carrots, beets and turnip/swede

I know there are many things missing here, but that really is the idea. I don’t think anything necessary for health has been omitted. Everything listed I like just steamed, boiled or roasted, all by itself. None of them are trigger foods for non-compliance or stuffing. I may include quinoa and apples, as well.

Onward! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Ejeff » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:08 am

Starflower, that’s a great strategy! Having a list of several things you CAN eat will make it easier. Like you say sort of like a Mary’s mini, but you could in theory eat that way likely forever if you wanted. I may have to try this same strategy for myself. :-D

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Starflower » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:05 pm

Ejeff wrote:Starflower, that’s a great strategy! Having a list of several things you CAN eat will make it easier. Like you say sort of like a Mary’s mini, but you could in theory eat that way likely forever if you wanted. I may have to try this same strategy for myself. :-D

Erin

Thanks, Erin! :)

So far so good! I may need to tweak the list a little, but concentrating on what I can have is working.

Wishing you a happy week! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:08 pm

MWL post for October 20th:

Hi team! :)

1) Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

4) Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO

6) Eliminate any added oil. YES

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

This week started off shakily with being sick. I’m back on plan and enjoying lots of compliant food. After last week, I’m working toward cooking enough ahead for when life happens. Onward! :)

Wildgoose, thank you for the excellent advice and delicious soup recipe!

Mark, I hope your family outing was a lot of fun!

Stephanie, thank you for the well-wishes!

Wishing everyone a wonderful and successful week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:13 pm

I’m just popping in to keep my head in the MWL mindset. I already fell into the pleasure trap with all the goings on. My weight is going up and I feel unwell. It’s time to regroup, and get back to the group, before things get any worse!

Last (October 28th) MWL post:

I got busy today and missed the deadline. It was a good week. I’ll be away for a couple of weeks or so, with lots of family events and two short trips coming up.

Wishing everyone a wonderful week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:55 pm

Hi Starflower! :)

Great to see you!!! I also find it helpful to keep in the MWL mindset!

Hoping that you are enjoying your time and kicking the Pleasure Trap to the curb!

Take care,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:37 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Starflower! :)

Great to see you!!! I also find it helpful to keep in the MWL mindset!

Hoping that you are enjoying your time and kicking the Pleasure Trap to the curb!

Take care,
Stephanie

Hey Stephanie! :)

Wow, do I wish I had! I did terribly this past month. It’s so nice to see your note first thing as I crawl back to where the (starch) solution can be found! Hope you’re doing well! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:46 pm

So I’m back, feeling sick and embarrassed by a month of many poor choices. What counts is getting up and moving forward again, right? I can’t wait to feel good again. Did I really think, before McDougall, that feeling like this is normal?! :eek:
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:55 am

While reading here to catch up and start fresh, I found this amazing post from Mark on the November MWL thread. Thank you, Mark! I needed this. :nod:

Mark Cooper wrote:With that, we close out the month of November! I will post a new thread for December on Monday, and we will have our next check-in on December 1st! It is hard to believe that we'll be starting a new year before long. :shock:

Since some lapses and deviations may have accompanied the holiday celebrations we've just passed, I'm sharing some bits from our past conversations of lapses and recovery.

Mark Cooper wrote:I would say that highly-palatable, calorie-rich, processed foods, when consumed, nearly always pose a risk for triggering the Pleasure Trap. That is how the Pleasure Trap works, right? That said, something achieved once should be achievable again, no? I believe there is no lapse from which one cannot recover, provided continuing life and agency.
Mark Cooper wrote:It seems to me, for whatever reason, that oftentimes, when we lapse it can pretty easily be a string of the "wrong" foods "all at once." I think, perhaps, that an encounter with the Pleasure Trap can snowball and cause a repeating cycle. So, the key is to break that pattern as soon as possible - getting back to basics, and making the very next meal consist of the recommended foods is a good way to do that (then do the same with the next meal, and the next). A lapse needn't become a full relapse, but it can get out of control pretty easily in my experience, so a focus on returning to the previously successful form is important. You can do it.
Mark Cooper wrote:I agree that the most important thing in the wake of a lapse, is to get right back "on plan" as soon as possible, so as to avoid a full-blown relapse. That is one reason I think framing things in terms of self-assessment, learning and adjustment, rather than recrimination, is so important. It allows us to see where obstacles lie, and correct our course around them; "beating ourselves up" often just leads to feeling bad and losing motivation.

I hope the above is of use or help. Do your very best in working toward your important goals, and treat yourself with kindness and compassion.

Wishing you all an amazing week ahead! Take care & be well!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:06 pm

I agree that the most important thing in the wake of a lapse, is to get right back "on plan" as soon as possible, so as to avoid a full-blown relapse. That is one reason I think framing things in terms of self-assessment, learning and adjustment, rather than recrimination, is so important. It allows us to see where obstacles lie, and correct our course around them; "beating ourselves up" often just leads to feeling bad and losing motivation.

Perfect for me today! Thanks for posting these quotes. They are extremely pertinent.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Starflower » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:10 pm

Hi Heidi!

I’m glad they helped you, too. There’s so much helpful information here!
I hope you’re having a good week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:23 pm

I forgot to post my MWL post here on 12/15. It’s been a crazy week! This week is going well so far. I’m starting to feel much better after getting back on track. I have no desire to go off plan again! I’m planning a meal of potatoes, beans and some vegetables for Christmas. Here’s the post.

Hi team! Thank you for welcoming me back to the group! :)

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES

3) Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts.  This includes gourmet sugars and salts too.  If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO

7) Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES

8 ) Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

There were a few higher fat foods left to use up this week. I feel like I’m getting dialed back in to eating on plan. Onward! :)

Wishing everyone a wonderful and successful week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:15 pm

MWL thread post for 12/23

Have a safe and wonderful trip, Mark! :)

2) Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for desert. YES?

5) Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). NO

It was a good week. The foods that were tempting me are not appealing anymore. After last month I associate them with pain and poor mobility. I missed one day of exercise, but walked and stretched on the other days. I added light strength training a few times, too. Estimating 50/50 was hard for some meals, like stew, but it was at least close. I’m making Christmas dinner in a buffet format with lots of compliant choices. Onward! :)

Happy holidays! Wishing everyone a wonderful and successful week! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:47 am

Hi Starflower,

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:39 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Starflower,

Hope you have a wonderful holiday!!!

Best,
Stephanie

Hey Stephanie! :)

Thanks! It was really good. I hope yours was, too! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals