Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

11/18 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:01 pm

Hi Journal, :)

Yay, it is Friday!!! Here are a couple of pics…

Loving the relative easiness of preparing these fingerling potatoes!! This was 3 lbs. – 2 -1.5 lb. bags. Thinking of adding bell pepper and onion next time (will test this out!).

This is a whole grain cereal with fruit (like wheat, rye, corn – missing a couple). Mostly eating oatmeal, but some days having different cereal. Added banana at the end with blueberries. Banana was fine this way --- think I was mashing it before and not loving it.

Sparing all my abominable snowman picture that I texted my son (we were walking at same time in snowstorm and exchanged selfies)… That one was all fun as it was mid-thirties with fluffy flakes! If only that was as cold as it gets… Remembering why I was so excited to ditch my hiking boots this spring --- it is the numbness in fingers that makes it hard to take them off (try this crazy lacing thing with frozen fingers, seriously!)!! YIKES!

So, I am continuing a short story Stephen King tear… “Riding the Bullet” was pretty crazy (recommend if you like SK)! In search of a beach read (but, yeah, have several books in queue for holiday week)!!!

Going to read again the EMA study referenced in my above post, but have accepted that I will only be able to understand on a basic level and am pretty ok with that! Think that I would love to have something that doesn’t exist – bulletproof card against potential relapse. (That will not be in the study!!!) So, just one choice at a time for me…

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 11/18.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :D :-D

Hoping everyone enjoyed the week! I did --- except for my weather complaints that are just what they are in “late fall / winter” in Chicagoland, IL… Trying to find my inner polar bear (but not sure that she exists).

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Rarely. Reason is that I am maintaining. I do like pre-loading. Perhaps will be doing this more over the winter when I am thinking my movement may just decrease due to inclement weather. My Apple Health App is already warning me of this!!! Annoys me a bit… (Health App – You took less steps this week than last week; me – ok, dude, live here and take same steps!!!) I have been pacing in house, but not the same.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. Consumed a serious amount of starch / veggie soup --- SOUP SOUP SOUP!!!! Oats or other whole grain cereal with frozen fruit for breakfast. Mountains of potatoes. Whole wheat pasta in the spirit of SNAP. Sloppy lentils. Various veggies and fruits.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated. For this week, added within the guidelines for both. Remaining cognizant here. Rarely add sugar – this is usually in the form of BBQ sauce, but measured.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes –didn’t stuff or starve. Following this eat recommended foods, recommended fashion when hungry guideline. This isn’t always consistent (timing, volume) for me on a day-to-day basis, but feeling ok about that.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. Walked briskly 7/7 days outside (see above for complaints!). Will be looking at indoor options too --- seeing the need.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Wishing all of the folks in US a Happy Thanksgiving next week!! Also, wishing all of our non-US compadres an amazing weekend!

Always like to think about gratitude at this time of year. Love the spirit of Thanksgiving holiday – always have. Sharing a quote by one of my favorite authors (love her sisters too!):
“For my part, I am almost contented just now, and very thankful. Gratitude is a divine emotion: it fills the heart, but not to bursting; it warms it, but not to fever.” – Charlotte Bronte

I am grateful for this group – thank you!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Re: Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Postby Lizzy_F » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:48 pm

Hi Stephanie!!!! I just wanted to pop by your journal and THANK YOU for your friendship and support on this journey. I look up to you and what you have accomplished, and I hope to follow in your foot steps! And I also hope to break into your house and eat all your beautiful food! :lol: :lol: :lol: Not really - just wishful thinking! :D

Wishing you and your loved ones a happy Thanksgiving!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:52 pm

Lizzy_F wrote:Hi Stephanie!!!! I just wanted to pop by your journal and THANK YOU for your friendship and support on this journey. I look up to you and what you have accomplished, and I hope to follow in your foot steps! And I also hope to break into your house and eat all your beautiful food! :lol: :lol: :lol: Not really - just wishful thinking! :D

Wishing you and your loved ones a happy Thanksgiving!

Hey BETH!! :) :-D

I walk in your footsteps too!!! We walk together!! YAY!!! Thank you for all that you do... Also, seriously ... come on by for food... anytime!!! :-D

Hi Journal, :D

So, totally going with : LOVING the following foods : Soup, salad, fruit, potato, oats, corn, rice, beans, OMG sloppy lentils, BLAH BLAH... pretty much feeling GREAT about all of this!!! :) (also, noting that I LOVE lower calorie dense food... just is what it is... not trying here to choose in this way...)

I am trying to consider why I sometimes am fretting about relapse. I guess because I try to be an optimist, but I am a realist. Anyway, love the above foods --- and not really thinking crazy things about eating other foods. So, trying to let this all go... :lol: I really feel mostly good about things!!! :-D

Food:

Image Berries and banana with creamy buckwheat!

Image More oven fries... Pretty yummy!

Image This is the JeffN Longevity soup --- used: sweet potatoes of 2 kinds, garbanzos, carrots, onion, corn, chopped kale, tomatoes. Pretty delicious --- seasoned with rosemary, garlic, smoked paprika.

Image So, this Sloppy Lentils thing is most awesome food ever and I can't stop making it!!! :lol:

Have walked so far a good clip each day all week!! So, mostly loving that!!! One day was HORRIBLE at about 12 degrees and all of my fleece was not enough... BUT not discouraged!!!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

11/25 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:28 am

Hi Journal, :)

So far, it has been a wonderful week of relaxation and festivities! Except for a few meetings, was able to take the time off work (WOO-HOO!). Had a fun time playing silly games one night --- Ants in the Pants, Kerplunk, Connect 4, etc. OMG! Have also gotten a ton of reading time in. Great celebrations with family and friends for Thanksgiving.

Taking a break from the Stephen King short stories – “Blockade Billy” and “Morality” did me in for the moment (seriously, wth SK?)…

Here are a few pictures…

Thanksgiving breakfast. Surprise --- it’s OATMEAL!!!!

Made this rice salad to bring to family Thanksgiving party. It is about 4 cups cooked brown basmati rice with canned (in water) pineapple and mandarins. Then chopped bell pepper, onion, cucumber with shredded carrot. A bit of rice vinegar and ginger juice on top. This is what I plated for TG dinner.

Brought this with a veggie tray… it’s delicious!

One of the songs on my "happy" Spotify playlist... :)
“Who said that every wish
Would be heard and answered
When wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of that
And someone believed it
Look what it’s done so far
What’s so amazing that keeps us stargazing
And what do we think we might see?
Someday we’ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me….” --- Kermit the Frog!

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 11/25.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :D :)

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week practicing the checklist!! It is going pretty well for me.

Mostly no.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. :-D Lots of oatmeal and fruit. Bowls of brown basmati rice with veggies. Tons of bean / sweet potato and veggie soup. POTATOES!!!! Sloppy lentils and corn. So, eating pretty much the same stuff.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated. :)

Yes. :cool:

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Mostly. :mrgreen: One exception is that I made party hummus for Thanksgiving and topped it with a sprinkle of sesame seeds – wasn’t thinking about that, but not a large amount (and not going to make me go seed-crazy).

Yes. :)

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
Yes. :D

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes. :-D

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes –no starving or stuffing. :)

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :D Walked briskly 6/7 days outside. I take a “break” every once in a while – bad planning on my part where I skipped a nice 50+ degree day… (but walked on a not-so-nice 12 degree day).

Hope all who celebrate had a spectacular Thanksgiving! Sharing here picture of the “fruit turkey” tray that I brought --- Thanks, WildGoose for sharing that link! It went over well (and totally will make it again next year)!

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Risk Mitigation

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:52 pm

JeffN wrote:
Lyndzie wrote:Hi Jeff.

You recently updated your Top 10 reasons for failure. Can you elaborate on adherence fatigue, and how to manage that?

Thanks as always,
Lindsey

Sure.

Adherence fatigue is similar to pandemic fatigue, treatment fatigue and as I mentioned, it is a feeling of fatigue over time for doing what is necessary to maintain adherence to the program (ie, special ordering, meal prep, preparing ahead for social situations) in a world that doesn’t support us.

For years, I have listened to clients talk about it not only in regard to adhering to the program but recovery from substance abuse, . They have done all the right things to maintain the program and have reaped the success of their actions but they get to a point where they just tire of having to do the “different” thing one more time. In treatment fatigue, is is tiring of having to organize their pills, remembering to take them, dealing with the side effects etc.

In regard to adherence fatigue and this way of life, it can come from any one of the things we do to maintain the lifestyle including (but not limited to)…

- feeling like an outsider
- having to special order when out
- having to always prepare ahead
- bringing your own food when out
- being different at social gatherings
- being asked over and over about their lifestyle choices
- having to set aside the time necessary to be active
- not being able to “indulge” in all “food” around them
- having to give up things they used to enjoy

Sometimes, people just tire of doing the right thing especially when it is outside the norm. Sometimes it comes even years after success and the initial thrill of getting well and overcoming their health challenges has waned.

Managing it will be dependent on the person, their situation, what is causing the fatigue. Maybe i will write a more in-depth article on it. I have asked Doug a few times to do a talk on it and maybe one day he will.

I am willing to bet that you, and many others here, have experienced this and can share your own example of it.

In Health
Jeff

So .... YES!!!! This is the information that I was seeking!!! THANK YOU, JeffN for another incredible post!!! :)

Totally not feeling like I am fatigued... feeling pretty enthusiastic!!! However, trying to understand what to watch out for over time... So, not an exhaustive list .... but not a scary list to me (although there could be more...)!!!

Trying to think about things from a data driven instead of an emotional perspective for the long-term and totally understand from EMA study that... YES, motivation can "wane" when you aren't seeing scale losses. I don't feel like that at all right now, but totally open to hearing about what may come (just stare fear in the face!)... Pretty enthusiastic about feeling terrific and fantastic!!! Wish I could bottle that up for when maybe it is less impactful... Hmm...

I do always feel like when I look at risk profiles for an initiative / project (severity and impact) ... the mother of all risks is .... YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW... I am pretty feeling ok with most of them listed here. Maybe the last 2 impact us all to certain levels and degrees... Lots of these I feel pretty great about because they applied to me even when I wasn't compliant with MWL checklist.

So, just going with trying to continue to be enthusiastic / motivated AND keeping it simple / sustainable... and being aware of all of this list in case I need to re-visit.

Will check out a bit the NWCR info too... Totally cannot critically evaluate EMA study as I do not have the right background... :) Not a worry!!!

Now, I will let it go (except to be aware)!!! :cool:

I will say that I am pretty OK with being different and I don't have issues with that socially. Believe me, I can chat anyone's ear off (and vice versa!!!) and not telling them what to do / no judgment. However, I CANNOT appreciate enough the WONDERFUL McD friends that I have met on this journey and the awesome weekly Time & Adherence thread. It helps to know that you aren't the only one in the world... :lol:

To ramp this down... :-D ... here's a couple pics...

Image Pretty potatoes!!! Love these!!! Cooked them a bit too long, but they are still amazing!!!

Image Black bean soup over brown basmati rice... pretty amazing!!!

Hope that anyone reading this has a fantastic week!!! Keep going!! It's all good!!! :D

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:24 pm

Stephanie you are such a sweet person. I am so glad our paths crossed and that we are on this path together. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving (how could it NOT be wonderful with that beautiful TURKEY you made!!). Thank you for always being here to give me words of encouragement and support!!!! Looking forward to sharing and awesome, potato strong December!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

12/02 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:31 pm

Hey Beth, :-D

You are simply the best!! Thank you so much for your support!! Cannot be happier to have met anyone… Totally appreciate you!

Hi to the WORLD!!! :D :-D

OMG… I have just run out of regular potatoes!!! :eek: Have tons of other minimally processed starch in the house (oats, beans, rice, corn, etc…) … but will be SHOPPING in the AM tomorrow (Yukon gold potatoes / red potatoes / russets are REQUIRED!!!)!!!

Maintaining weight… gotten to low end of range - so ramping up starch %. Still is alternate universe to me, but that’s ok… I think I didn’t make / eat as many oven fries this week. I totally can eat more oven fries than anything else --- and sometimes think that salting them may play a part. I am going with --- if I ever am over range… then, I have gone outside of recommended MWL foods --- over 5 months maintaining, have never had to manage lbs. down (yes, super crazy for sure, but true).

I absolutely can’t even with the news this week… Will only say 2 innocuous things… 1) Amazed to see that “gaslit” is a top word for 2022… wondering if folks do understand the concept? Thinking we all need to be de-programmed on several levels – McD does a good job here with Meat & Dairy industries and follow the $ … 2) PINK!!! Called out “biggest POS on Earth” back in 2009”… and said “quote me”…. So important to stand up to bullies and support our fellow humans!!! Always do this --- silence is acceptance / complicity!

Ramping down with pictures!!! :lol:

So, it has taken me a long time to perfect the microwaving needed (seriously over a year!!!)!!! This helps it not to become soup!! Just do the oatmeal and water a couple of minutes before adding frozen fruit (and then microwave again for a couple of minutes)!! Perfect!!!

These are called “Stokes” --- not sure what that means. They attracted me with the purple color. I totally LOVE them in Jeff Longevity soup. Else, have honestly not been a huge fan of the sweet potato. Glad to like it in tomato broth!!

Well, here you can see that they retain the purple when cooked!! So, yes ---- super pretty!!! They are also good with Sloppy Lentils… Super yum!

Here are my last potatoes for fries… even had to throw in one of the Stokes. It is good too!!

Smashed some pinto beans and added a WFM container of Pico --- no oil, salt, etc. --- just tomato, onion, cilantro --- and mixed together. Delicious!!!

So, seriously --- this is like my favorite food. Tastes good over anything starchy!!! Sloppy lentils … another sloppy pot!!!

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 12/2.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

Hope everyone is doing awesome!!!! Happy December!!! :-D

I survived my work holiday party!!! Had a great time chatting with co-workers and playing games!!! Can’t believe it has been 3 years in between these events!!! COVID messes with time-space orientation!!! Ate salad – which was fine (had Jeff burger and some potato in the car before!!!)…. One of my co-workers is vegan --- and she wanted to have a vegan menu option (and … YES… we should all have option based on our preferences). She knows that I am as well (and asked for my support to get this on menu). I have read JeffN “When Vegan is Not Enough” and totally get the difference (yeah, I could be example # ???? )… So, yeah, buffet option included vegan “daiya” cheese pizza AND salad (salad alone was healthy). I kept to the salad, but she was trying to help me find the pizza (which was not going to happen – but was able to dodge this!!!)… To be honest, this was more a social dodge than a food thing --- never liked cheese to begin with, so never in my life have eaten vegan cheese…

Mostly no. No is because I am maintaining – else, I am pretty happy to do this!

YES. :D I continue to eat the same foods and enjoy them. So, got more Envy apples!! Sloppy lentils are my favorite thing ever. POTATOES!!! Soup… (LOTS of it!) Tons of oatmeal with frozen fruit.

Yes. Reduced, not eliminated. :)

Yes. :-D

Yes. :)

Yes.

Yes –no starving or stuffing. :D

Yes. Walked briskly 6/7 days outside. One day I walked around the house only … was about 12 degrees outside in AM and I couldn’t walk at lunch / meeting… Anyway, I am pretty committed here to not being sedentary, but it will likely not be as many steps as during nicer weather. My Health app continues to yell at me … I do have other options that I could do better at implementing for sure.

Thank you a ton to Mark, JeffN, WildGoose, and ALL fellow participants. Wishing us to all be PROUD and DELIGHTED this month!!! :D OMG, can’t love that thought enough… just get through the crazy holiday season as best we all can!!! We can totally do this!!!

We have a family holiday party coming up that is themed every year. I have been requested by a few folks to dress in costume (as Cindy Lou Who)… hmm… if I can make this easy, perhaps --- yes!!! However, I have pointed out that I am a mid-50’s chick that may not want to dress as a toddler… The jury is out on this; however, I do believe that I will be more pestered if I don’t do this than if I show up and eat fruit, veg, potatoes… Wish me luck!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
** Edited 12/5 to fix fries picture link... Boo to me for getting the thing backward there... Oh well... :-D
Last edited by VegSeekingFit on Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VegSeekingFit

Postby Matcha » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:51 pm

Love your enthusiasm. and pictures!!
Matcha

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:18 pm

Matcha wrote:Love your enthusiasm. and pictures!!

Hey, thanks, Matcha!!! :) I am totally feeling enthusiastic!!! :D

Hi World!!! :-D

Working to chillax!!! Loving that... Trying!!!

"It's just another Manic Monday...
I wish it was Sunday....
'Cause that's my fun day...
My I don't have to run day..." --- The Bangles

Just going to share a few pics and call it a post!!! HA!!!!

Did some batch cooking / cooking yesterday / this AM...

So, these are Jeff Burgers. I like to put veggies in there. Ran out of the mushroom pieces and stems (that I normally use)--- so, maybe hilariously used beans sprouts and water chestnuts (but tastes great!!!)... This is 1 can dark red kidney beans, 1 can pintos, 2 c. oatmeal, 4 T tomato sauce, maybe 1/2 c. of corn, the chinese veggies, a couple handfuls of chopped red onion, a few shakes of hot sauce.

Well, here there are all cooked. Then, I freeze them to eat !!!

Proving that I did shop and get more regular potatoes!!! Ramping up the oven fries, but they don't stick around long --- delicious! :D

I chopped veggies to make soup the night before. Threw these in the crockpot this AM. Another starchified Jeff Longevity soup. A couple kinds of sweet potatoes, yukon gold potato, carrots, onions in the bag...

This AM threw the bag of chopped veggies in the crock pot with --- NSA tomato, water, frozen corn, garlic, smoked paprika, NSA garbanzoes and kidney beans, rosemary...

This is it all cooked up. Very stew like... So, maybe I took too many liberties with recipe... :lol: Super delicious!!!

Hope that everyone has a phenomenal week!!!

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Matcha » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:21 pm

Wow! :thumbsup:

Look at all that good food!! :P
Matcha

12/09 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:54 am

Hi and thanks for kind comments, Matcha!!! :-D

Hi Journal! :D

No holiday events this past week… we did have a work team activity where we made blankets for Project Linus which was fun and productive (lots of shared laughs and lots of blankets finished!)… On community investment topic, we received global recognition for bake sale in support of Ukraine several months ago --- so, lots more $ for that cause – great news.

Love the time saved in grocery shopping by following this program. I can usually cruise in and out of any store quickly!!! Generally, I just shop in the produce department and then frozen aisle for fruits and vegetables. As needed, stock up on oatmeal, rice, NSA beans, NSA tomatoes, etc. Easy peasy.

Every once in a while, I do check out random food labels against JeffN’s guidelines --- OMG (pretty much all hard fails). This week I went to a store that I haven’t been to in at least a few years. In their frozen section found what truly is “crap” that I didn’t know existed --- Morningstar “plant-based” pancake and sausage on a stick… So, not healthy!!! (Seriously!!) From label reading class, I know to not believe anything on front of the label --- but just found this hilarious “81% less fat than leading pancakes and sausage on a stick” … (did not know this was a thing) … :lol: (ok, probably not funny...)

This week I was again not able to defy physics and have managed weight up a bit – in range. Attributing it to more oven fries and paying attention to starch / veggie and fruit ratio.

I’ve been joining Dr. McD / Heather “The Truth about Food” 4-part series which has been amazing so far. Heard that this will be offered again – it is a great learning experience, incredibly motivating to hear Dr. McD speak quite frankly and deep dive into each topic. Participants can ask questions and Heather awesomely facilitates and makes sure all questions are answered.

“Once you’ve conquered the worst things that could happen, there is no need to fear the unknown. You are fearless.” – Ronda Rousey (wrestler!)

Here are some food pictures…

Still eating every morning oatmeal or other whole grain cereal plus fruit. Delicious!

One of my favorite recipes is Mary McD’s slow cooked beans. I usually make pinto or black beans. For a change, these are cranberry beans – just put them and a chopped onion in the pot and then spoon them out when done and smash. Bean smashing is fun!

Had salad with beans as part of lunch with a bunch of oven fries. Incredible lunch!!

I seem to not post many veggie pics, but I am eating them! Here is part of a dinner – baby broccoli, medium tomatoes, Persian cuke.

Loving Envy apples and cuties!!!

Dry sauteed some veggies to add to a pasta pot. This is 3 portabellas, can of NSA mushroom pieces and stems, bell pepper, red onion, garlic, and basil.

Tried a new way to make the whole grain pasta and it worked out well! Pomi strained tomatoes, 15 oz. can of NSA petite diced tomatoes, 1.5 c. water in pot --- then added ½ box whole wheat spaghetti and boiled over medium for about 12 minutes (no need to drain). Added the sauteed veggies to the pot and mixed. Was a bit skeptical at first!!! Will use this method again.

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 12/9.

Hi to all fellow Team Time & Adherence warriors, :D :-D :)

Hope everyone is having a great December!!!

Still mostly no (maintaining). I am so ready to pivot back to this if / when needed.

YES. Breakfast is consistently oatmeal / whole grain cereal and fruit. For the cold weather, I always have at least one pot of starchy soup / stew in the fridge to pair with whatever fruit / veggie. Loving the Jeff burgers with oven fries and salad and fruit. Made an awesome pot of Mary McD’s slow cooked beans (cranberry ones!) to eat with rice, potato, salad. Whole wheat spaghetti with dry sauteed veggies was delicious!

Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

Yes.

No. :mrgreen: I had a salad at work this week which included a bit of sunflower seeds and edamame. It was a dry salad, and I added my own balsamic vinegar for dressing. Moving on from this and back to the checklist for upcoming week.

Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
No. :mrgreen: Salad referenced in 5 also had a bit of dried cranberries.

Yes.

Yes –no starving or stuffing. I do still have random days when I eat a clip more than others for reasons that I don’t understand. I am HUNGRY and I do eat recommended food (recommended fashion) and this hasn’t impacted my scale weight. One day this week I feel like I ate some of everything that I had in the refrigerator – and ate at least 6 times.

Yes. Walked briskly 5/7 days outside. Had a splish-splashy walk one day in sleet where some streets had pretty deep puddles. Note to self to wear BOOTS in this type of weather!!! Have started gently nudging myself to do some strength / flexibility exercises. This is going ok so far (not a “strength” of mine for sure) --- had already incorporated short, but consistent balance routine.

Question – not sure if anyone has experienced what I mention on 9 with volume of food eaten not consistent day to day? I’m not concerned, but it just is very strange to me! I would understand if I had more activity on one day versus the other, but this is not the case.

Comment 1 –
Have 2 holiday parties back-to-back next weekend. Planning to bring fruit tray and veggie tray with hummus / dip to each of them. Have been finding some fun ones to assemble. Also, planning to bring Jeff burger and potato in purse!!! Will walk around and steer clear of any food tables! Also, will eat prior to going.

Comment 2 –
Loved Mark’s thought last week - “good comrades are a prize of great value”. In that spirit, below are some thoughts to fellow members of this group! Will also reiterate Gimmelean’s comment last week – hope that prior folks we haven’t “seen” here for a while are doing well!!!

Rebecka --- OMG --- your exercise is amazing!!! Way to go in embedding this habit!!! Also, agree with you that planning is so critical!

Holly --- You type awesome on an IPhone!!! Love how you were able to stay on track at friend’s place eating different foods --- thanks for sharing your example!!! And, YES --- you CAN do it!!!! Love how you have incorporated pickleball into your life! I know that you will find a way to deal with volume eating – admire your persistence and positivity!!!

Gimmelean – Love how you mentioned for exercise “permission” to do 30 minutes a day. YES! I agree 100% --- and think keeping this in mind helps with consistency! I appreciate that you related to my “challenge” comment because I felt a bit “out there” putting it into words. Also, YES --- MWL has worked for me too “where nothing else in the past has worked”… Thank you for sharing meditation app. I have checked it out and will nudge myself to incorporate this into my routine!

Beth, So, I am now standing on my head… (JK!!!)… :lol: Loved your thoughts on how to plate your meals for #9… Thanks for sharing on your challenges. Glad that you related to one I had listed – which I think also comes down to “fear of failure / inner critic”. Appreciate you sharing how you deal with this – including how you mentioned the importance of the support network that you have built. I have found the same – that this is so helpful in making things easier and building confidence. By the way, you walk an amazing amount of steps in daily life!!! YAY!

Eric – wishing you well in recovering from plantar fasciitis. I used to run (many moons ago) and had this once – so can commiserate. Take care and hope you are back to your schedule soon!!!

Noella - Wishing you the best with your knee situation resolving. Glad you are actively seeking treatment help. Love your positivity on the checklist!!!

Greens - Awesome that you reported for last week!!! Agree with you 100% on – “So nice not being alone trying to adhere to this way of living.” YES!!!

BambiS – That “happy balance” is so important!!! Not sure if this is helpful, but I have found it so important to eat enough starch (with some veg / fruit) to manage hunger. I am convinced that NOT being hungry is key to keeping to this checklist / MWL compliant foods.

Drew – Hope that you are continuing to recover from your surgery and getting back into the swing of MWL!

Hope that everyone has a phenomenal week!! :)

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:54 pm

Hey World!!! :-D

Feeling great today!!! I think my psychological switch has switched to the right position!!! :-D

Copying below from MWL thread --- Mark response to my ? and my response... So... helped me a ton!!! :D

VegSeekingFit wrote:
Mark Cooper wrote:
VegSeekingFit - It sounds like you're becoming a real pro at navigating these holiday events successfully! :thumbsup:
VegSeekingFit wrote:not sure if anyone has experienced what I mention on 9 with volume of food eaten not consistent day to day?
For the most part, I'm pretty consistent, but I do experience what you are describing from time to time. It seems to me that the processes of consuming, digesting, and absorbing food, as well as expending energy in various ways (some of which are not always apparent) is complicated enough that it would be hard to nail down a reason for these variations outside of a laboratory. If I had to guess, it is most likely minor variations in overall average calorie density and energy expenditure that gradually accrue to the point where one's hunger drive kicks in to maintain equilibrium. To me, this makes a certain amount of sense because those of us diligently practicing MWL in maintenance are almost inevitably "coasting" very close to a calorie deficit, so it wouldn't be too hard to visualize a few "dips" in average calorie density resulting in some corrective "surges" in appetite. But again, that is just my guess. :| :D

Hey Mark,
Also, Hi Team T&A!!

Thanks a ton for this -- not "glad" that you have experienced it at all --- but glad to not be the only person...

Pretty unlikely that I would be going to a lab!!! :lol: They'd have to lock me in for awhile as this occurs for me maybe 1-2 times per month and always seems crazy-pants to me... :) Your explanation --- guess or not --- is logical and plausible --- so helps to ease my mind. I had only a Sci-Fi thought... Like the Starch-monster lived in my gut and came out once or twice a month to be fed a ton!!! :lol: (totally kidding...)

For holiday event navigation, I am just trying to plan and visualize (i.e., have not achieved success). Will report back results!!! Feel good about it... but, sometimes things disrupt the best plans. Think will be overall fine!!!

Wanted to also add (for what it's worth), to discussing one's own diet with folks... I have maybe done the "brunt" of it in prior years --- having eliminated meat, dairy, oils (except -- boo, I did eat some crap... and calorie dense stuff) back in 2003... I also put "onus" on my own health / not judging anyone --- told people (who asked) that I had an autoimmune condition as a child (JRA) and when I found it manifesting as an adult, needed to eliminate certain foods. Mostly people didn't go further with that explanation ... AND ... going to MWL Checklist --- most folks don't know the difference!!! So, I am 80% good with explaining myself!!! I do find that it is helpful to remain consistent in what I do around folks ...

Loved this bowls thread!!! I had a time-crunch earlier this year and did something similar --- but maybe more of a conglomeration of prepped starches and fresh / frozen fruit and veggies. Anyway, this concept is awesome and easy!!! Loved to use either NSA salsa --- or home prepped (quick) salsa for Mexican flavor or add a bit of fruit (pineapple anyone?) and a little touch of low-sodium tamari for Oriental flavor. Also, works for a salad!!! This concept "saved me" in a crunch!!! :D

Cheers to all!
Stephanie

So, I do take-away from this --- many things that are helpful. I do try to keep 100% to MWL Checklist (but not to become crazy about that from a perfection perspective)... But FEELING GREAT -- probably from following closely!!! :D

Anyway, glad to not be a mutant person with hunger. :) This was weird to me because as I have consistently said... I am not a volume eater, but passive overconsumption for sure. So, this worry is out of my head --- will just try to carry more stuff with me when out of house in case...

In thinking of what I wrote about talking to folks about explaining "our food", remembering back... Hmmm... I was totally able to get rid of meat, dairy, oil many years ago --- without support and without looking back!! I am super grateful for support now... but feel like I have it in me to give the middle finger to vegan crap (or whatever!) ... And, I feel strengthened by this comparison... Yes, pretty unlikely that I would do a bunch of things. So, another worry out the window for me (fear of failure), but will remain cognizant... Mostly people are kind to me and vice versa... All is good!!

Totally saving viewtopic.php?p=631842&_gl=1*134hjxw*_ga*MjA2NTE0MzExMS4xNjYxMzg2NDUy*_ga_M3W192WV0Q*MTY3MDgxMDAxMS4xMDUuMS4xNjcwODEwOTk2LjQwLjAuMA..#p631842 on bowls... I could see this as an opportunity to use mostly frozen stuff and I would totally add frozen pineapple to the top of it!! :-D This may be a nice meal to bring to work to just nuke... (or maybe other future uses?) There are ZERO prepared things to buy at the store --- no doubt!! I still go with I am 100% comforted with potato + romaine + apple is compliant (and easy!)... So, I am super boring and that is fine for me... Dr. McD recently even had a slide on diet --- if you wanted to just start on program without noise / complexity --- sweet potato + broccoli is fine. Very calming to me also.

Pictures...
Here is a bit of today's groceries. Only boo is that there were NO yukon gold potatoes.

Super SURPRISE!!! More oatmeal - today's breakfast.

Image Last one --- pretty potatoes. Love these!!!

"Aim for the sky, but move slowly, enjoying every step along the way. It is all those little steps that make the journey complete. " - Chanda Kochhar

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

My Miscellaneous Rambling

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:47 pm

Hi World!!! :D

**Edited 12/15 for clarity and to delete double post... guess I should not post in the late PM... (note to self! :) )***

Still feeling FANTASTIC!!! Super happy that my son is home for the holidays! Also, looking forward to mostly having rest of year off work (just a few things to do to make sure upcoming things don’t de-rail) … lots of fun activities to come!!!!

Thinking maybe I am one who needs the most “Time & Adherence” … (or kind of not sure how that works… ) Feeling great, but seem to continue to navigate mental hoops as I go. Well, that’s ok with me – trying to do this the right way and I am all in with that.

I am completely grateful for the support network --- mainly from McD Team with 12-day (including support network / specialist (Tiffany) / and folks I’ve met! Also with T&A thread (thank you a million – JeffN, Mark, Wildgoose, fellow peeps). I do like to feel part of a community --- even though I am fine to swim upstream / be different (in general). I am also super-lucky to have a few friends (totally NOT McD!) that have strong personalities and that consistently stand up for me (I cannot LOVE my friends enough!)… :D

I think that having attempted this before has helped in many ways, but conversely has made me a bit more tentative in others. Going for making this a long-term sustainable change --- and am all in for that…! Trying to build up a bit of self-confidence perhaps ... (working on it)...

I do think (for me) one missing piece is how to navigate future emergency / emotional upheaval situations (where it doesn’t help to go off-plan). The reason is because this is one key factor that did de-rail me in the past. Not the only one for sure (but maybe key why I couldn’t /didn’t get right back on plan). That is why I loved this “Bowls” post (link above) --- which I think that I kind of missed the point a bit--- easier & cheaper to order frozen rice + frozen veggies + NSA beans --- than not compliant other choice (ordering from plant-based company or buying something pre-made at store). Anyway, I did love this as --- what could you totally eat that is compliant with almost zero effort? (and, can have it delivered to yourself) … So, have not experienced such a situation since May 2021 (when I started MWL), but can totally relate as WAS part of the reason that I fell off-plan in 2018/2019. I do think this is important and will do a “fire-drill” frozen stuff food!!! I am pretty not-picky and could see putting this frozen stuff in a bowl to de-thaw in fridge and eating at room temperature. TBD!!!

On the positive side --- Habits I have formed:
• Love to cook pots of soup or beans in crockpot --- recipes are simple and I remember them!! Can do in the AM or PM. Results are always amazing!
• Understand calorie density – managing weight up or down (thanks, JeffN!)… have been able to do both, so bring it on…
• Can easily make Jeff Burgers --- These are always in the freezer. I don’t heavily spice and can eat by themselves (satiating and tasty!) or put in a recipe. Key to me because maybe I used to order bad prepped (packaged) stuff and I will never do that again.
• Cook whole grains in rice cooker. Easy peasy, done!!!
• I like to chop produce (therapeutic)… but, when I had less time, I did less of this… (still was easy to eat compliant) … I guess this is the one thing that I could simplify --- but it is just fine under regular circumstances.
• Love to walk outside!!! Do this consistently. Weather has impact on # of steps, but I am consistent with doing. Sometimes I would wish to run (but that is not sustainable for me, so rejecting this thought) …
• Love to eat oatmeal or other whole-grain cereal + frozen fruit for breakfast!! This is the fastest meal ever and is super delicious.
• Understand MWL Checklist. Understand recommended vs. allowed vs. non-compliant. I try to stick with recommended.
• Like the food a ton. Yeah, meet Sloppy Lentils or Split Pea Soup if you don’t believe me.
• My tastes have totally changed. I do add some salt or sugar sometimes, but this doesn’t de-rail me. I like what I eat --- lots of the time unadulterated (less condiments than before for sure).
• I totally follow JeffN Label reading and am serious about doing this correctly (like I buy only NSA beans, tomatoes, veggies canned). For MWL, there aren’t products except condiments that fall under this (or to check something is whole grain). I have guidelines on my phone to make sure that I do it. I have had some fun exploring … yeah, nothing on the shelf will fit.
• Maybe there is more!!! Overall, I am happy to follow MWL checklist (I am trying to learn definition too --- of what we should eat / do eat… as opposed to eliminate)

I do mostly feel good about things --- and just keep going. In case of emergency ... I do have contingency plan if I have issues, but think I am ok... (Hi, Dr McD… repeating your class… :lol: )

Keeping positive!! Cannot love this song enough (yes, Happy Spotify list!)!!!

“Everybody’s lookin’ at me now
Like, “Who’s that chick that’s rockin’ kicks?
She’s gotta be from out of town”
So hard with my girls not around me
It’s definitely not a Nashville party

‘Cause all I see are stilettos
I guess I never got the memo…
So I put my hands up

They’re playin’ my song, the butterflies fly away
I’m noddin’ my head like, “Yeah”
Movin’ my hips like, “Yeah”
Got my hands up, they’re playing my song
I know I’m gonna be okay
Yeah, it’s a party in the USA
Yeah, it’s a party in the USA” – Miley Cyrus

Wishing all the best!!! Keep going!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

12/16 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:06 am

Hi Journal, :cool:

Did a bit of cooking and prep last night. Made oven fries (astounding, huh?) and made a pot of Sloppy lentils to cook overnight.

Also, prepped and roasted a pyrex of vegetables that I will add to a big pot of whole wheat rotini today.

Here is the Mary McD black bean soup. Was delicious. Definitely will be making more of it this winter!

Another picture of my standard breakfast!

Delicious lunch of the black bean soup plus some amazing mango. I then also had a plate of oven fries.

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 12/16.

Hi to all fellow Team Time & Adherence peeps, :) :-D :D

Hope everyone had a great week! Following is my week in review – mostly feeling excellent about things and looking forward to seeing folks over the holidays --- it’s been too long!

No; maintaining. Ready to do when needed!

YES. Mega-potatoes with various veggies and fruits. Still loving the oven fries and also roasting fingerling potatoes. Nuking other potatoes --- all kinds --- Russet, Red, Yukon Gold. So, not sure if anyone else has seen very few Yukon Golds in the stores? This was a big BOO for me this week!!! When I find them, I am going to buy every bag that I can get my paws on!!! Still eating oatmeal or other whole grain cereal with frozen fruit (and sometimes banana) each morning. Made Mary McD slow cooked Chipotle Bean soup (recipe on this website here https://www.drmcdougall.com/recipes/slo ... n-soup/--- was delicious – modified a bit (using JeffN SNAP idea on using one spice mix / Mexican spice in this case, also added carrots and corn…) OMG, if you are feeling deprived… get some mangoes!!! Will be making some different stuff the next couple of weeks as my son is home for the holidays and enjoys eating the MWL recipes too!!!

Yes. Reduced, not eliminated. Mostly, I only salt potato fries. I am ok to add sugar (per guidelines), but usually forget to do so. Maybe a couple of times a week I will either use BBQ sauce to dip fries (in lieu of the salt) or add a bit of the California Balsamic vinegar to a rice or salad dish.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

Yes.

Yes –no starving or stuffing. Eating recommended food, recommended fashion when hungry and trying to not over-think this.

Yes. Walked briskly 6/7 days outside – love walking outside, and this is sustainable for me (and consistent under most weather). Has warmed up a bit here for part of the week --- crazy weather. Some walks with umbrella!! Still gently consistently doing a few body-weight exercises. This is not as natural to me as simply walking (but I am trying to add to my routine) …

Thank you again for your feedback last week, Mark! Much appreciated!

Hope that everyone has a fantastic and festive upcoming week!!!

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Pictures 12/19

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:44 pm

Hi Journal!! :)

Loved fantastic holiday parties this past weekend - was great catching up with so many folks! :-D Wishing some of these were more staggered over the year, but... yeah... is what it is. (I try to plant a seed!!!) I was kind of lazy and for one party just bought nice veggie tray and nice fruit tray from WFM. The other one, I put together trays, but not cute or clever... so, no pics!!! :lol: I also was not 100% MWL compliant --- but not de-railed or crazy ... so, I just move on from that... (for my memory / Friday report had - 5 WFM Whole wheat crackers and 1/2 french bread / salad sandwich...)... I guess I have learned bread is consistently my "boo" (maybe due to what is there that I would eat) ... (but I have none in my home environment that would tempt me --- so think not perfect, but could be worse)...

Anyway, here are a few photos...

This was the one-pot pasta - last post had the veggies that I did first. So, 2nd time I tried in one pot and will abandon this method. Seem to need to pay more attention (burns in bottom of pot if you are inattentive)... The unburned parts were awesome... and lesson learned!!! :lol: Cooking debacle # ??? .... (why I cook in crock pot #5000)... :lol:

Buckwheat and berries. Wouldn't be a picture post if I didn't include B... :lol:

This is yummy and super easy. Just throwing NSA crushed and chopped tomatoes in crock pot with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, spices. Pretty delicious.

Somehow I scored the largest grapes ever. Check it out --- some are even bigger than baby carrots!! Love a bit of fruit and veg with Sloppy Lentils and oven fries.

OMG --- YES --- I was able to procure some Yukon golds yesterday. Did not really buy every bag they had...

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals