Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

12/08 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:24 pm

Hi Erin, :) Thanks for stopping by! I really hope that one day I will set an example that family or friends will want to emulate to improve their health. Wishing you an amazing and white Christmas in Alberta!

Hi Heidi, :-D Appreciate your comments. I do limit my edible grocery purchases to fruit, veggies, whole grains, and beans. I sometimes use condiments to spice things up. Take care.

Hi Journal, :D

Just found out December is National Cat Lover’s Month. Our cat is enjoying the Christmas tree this month – she is preferring to drink the tree stand water instead of the (fresh) water from her bowl. I am jerry-rigging a catproof cover so she doesn’t get sick.
Here she is looking innocent!

Got up early this morning and headed to Target and Trader Joe’s close to store opening time. Priceless – should do errands this early more often! Anyway, I love the frozen dark cherries at TJ’s that I can’t seem to find anywhere else. I also love their awesome Kumatoes. Have been on a sweet potato tear recently – so bought a few regular ones and a couple of the Japanese ones. Also purchased a frozen rice medley and “mashed” sweet potatoes.

The rice medley is all whole grain with no other ingredients. Going to give it a try – microwave, add some veggies, and eat!

The “mashed” sweet potatoes are just frozen chunks of sweet potato. Again, will give them a try. Maybe I will throw them into a soup. Would be easy peasy.

My standard bowl of oatmeal with fruit for breakfast and a veggie “salad” preload. I guess I don’t get tired of photographing my oatmeal! :lol:

Here is another preload from the week. I still like to just throw raw veggies on a plate – sometimes I’ll include an apple or pear or some grapes too.

❤️ this! Being healthy and strong is my goal. I am planning to continue to follow the MWL checklist and to stay active with walking, strength training, and pickleball (maybe other activities – TBD). So, maybe this is really….

Below is behavioral assessment that I will post for week of 12/8.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :)

Hope everyone is surviving (and thriving) through the month where it seems like the world is celebrating the holidays all month long with all things food. We have an annual event next week at work called “Miss Piggy Days” where folks sign up to bring dishes and everyone tries to outdo everyone else. I usually bring a fruit and / or vegetable tray --- but this year I will miss it – as I am playing at a club Pickleball event. I will miss our work holiday party as well for that event. So far, I am doing just fine eating what I normally do and enjoying time with family and friends. Last year I found the holiday social events overall a bit overwhelming. I do have strategies to successfully navigate these events in mind and one of them for this year is to limit the time spent at each event. Wishing everyone well as we each take time to celebrate but keep the focus on the people and off the food.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Mostly. Remains at about 2/3. I am planning to achieve 100% for the upcoming week.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. Mostly the same meals – oatmeal and fruit, brown rice / corn / beans and salad veggies, potatoes and veggies or whole wheat pasta and veggies. Have been eating more sweet potatoes this week – subbed for my regular Yukon golds. I am enjoying them!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes, I think so.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes – 7/7. Walking, strength training, pickleball. This week I am signing up for various park district opportunities for Winter 2024 – mainly pickleball (surprise!).
Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Mark – I always value the material you share at the end of each week. Last week’s links were amazing and quite helpful. Thank you!

Gimmelean – Appreciated reading your experience with Mary’s Mini and how you were able to reset. Way to go!

Bambi – I so relate to what you shared on stress eating. Wishing you well as you work through.

Starflower – Welcome back!!

Rebecka – I am with you on the planning and dodging the holiday food. I love what you said about taking it one day at a time and considering how much better you feel when you avoid the treats.

Jennifer – Great to see you join us! Good luck with getting back to exercise after PF. I have also been managing through the PF since this summer. I’ve found that rolling my foot over a frozen water bottle helps a bit.

Chesca -Awesome to see you back!

Artista – I really relate to what you said about your nephew making something special for you and then feeling obligated to eat some. I have the hardest time when someone goes out of their way to try to accommodate my diet --- and it is so nice that people try, but so rare that they would provide something on plan. I guess I am “lucky” that most of the time this doesn’t happen for me.

Wishing all a wonderful week!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

12/15 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:35 pm

Hi Journal,

Still eating oatmeal every day for breakfast and preloading with multiple salad veggies – just throw them on the plate. I really love this breakfast.

Preparing fruit and veggie trays to take to various family parties this weekend. Love to occasionally buy the WFM fruit tray which requires zero effort (not pictured). Also purchased Stokes (HUGE) and another kind of sweet potato. Found frozen “root vegetables” that I enjoyed last year (made soup in crockpot) – yay! Also bought some multi-colored fingerling potatoes – they are pretty!

Below is behavioral assessment that I will post for week of 12/15.

Hi Time & Adherence Peeps, :)

Mostly. I missed a couple – closer to the 100% that I am seeking, but not quite there.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes. Still eating and enjoying the same easy meals.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes.

Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes – not starving or stuffing.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. YAY, was able to sign up for Pickleball League through early May! Still consistent with strength training twice a week and sometimes do a third session.

Mark – you were spot on with your comment last week – when I had a club pickleball event conflict with some work holiday parties, it was in fact win – win! :D Also, on the training others to know that you will fend for yourself with adherent food --- I like that and think I have (mostly) --- it’s the new events / people where this comes up for me – sometimes, not often.

Welcome back, Drew!

I love eating the thawed frozen mango too, Chesca. It is really easy for a preload (and delicious)!

Hope everyone enjoys the week! I am off work (mostly) for the year – Woo-hoo!

Best,
Stephanie 

VegSeekingFit

Re: Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Postby Matcha » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:39 pm

love your pictures and positivity!
Matcha

12/22 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:38 am

Hi Matcha, :-D Thanks for stopping by and nice comment!

Hi Journal, :D

This is veggie tray that I brought with some homemade hummus to a party last weekend.

Loving this fruit preload! Scored early sumo oranges and pineberries. Tasty!

My weekly picture of breakfast. :lol:

Image We can all change!

Below is behavioral assessment that I will post for week of 12/22.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season and successfully navigating through the myriad of events!

Here in Chicagoland we have warmer than normal weather – approaching 50 degrees today and foggy --- unseasonable for sure. Going to take advantage of the relative warmth and go to the woods for a walk after this post (instead of inside at the gym)!

Mostly. Again, I missed a few. I am looking to move to 100%. It should be easy to do. If nothing else, I have a huge bag of apples.

Yes. Mostly the same meals, but I am also really loving vegetable sushi right now. I can purchase brown rice veggie sushi from a local restaurant and add extra veggies (OMG, so cool!). Anyway, I am going to attempt to learn how to make my own --- would make a great lunch to take to work and a perfect snack.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Mostly except last weekend I had a French bread roll (plain) at a party. My bad that I didn’t bring something starchy in my purse or to share. I did bring fruit and veggie trays, but I was still hungry! We always stay at this event longer than planned and I need to bring something more substantial/starchy to avoid this same scenario next year.

Yes.

Yes – not starving or stuffing.

Yes for 6/7 (took 1 rest day). Walking and strength training consistently. Still loving pickleball and was able to pick up a few matches this week since I am off work. My buddy teaches at my gym and I got to fill in at his class too, which was amazing. Have signed up for 2 more tournaments for early next year with partners – so need to practice!!

Mark – Hope that you have safe travels and enjoy a wonderful time with your family for the holidays. Thank you so much for all that you do here to help us!

Bambi – I am also looking forward to starting 2024 on a good note! Let’s do it!!

Rebecka – Love that reminder about feeling better when eating better. So true!

Starflower – Your Christmas dinner buffet sounds awesome!

Shannon – Great to have a plan and to track what you eat. It helped me a ton to write down (on paper) my plan and actual food especially when I was getting started.

Chesca – I hope that you feel much better soon! Take care.

Wildgoose – Hi and Happy holidays!!!

Wishing everyone the best of the season!

Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Ejeff » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:29 pm

Stephanie, glad everything is going well with your strength training and lots of Pickleball. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a 2024 full of challenging and fun Pickleball games. Good luck in your upcoming tournaments.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

12/29 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:27 am

Hi Erin, :)

Thank you for your well wishes. I appreciate you so much on these boards – you are an inspiration!!! Looking forward to chatting more McD and PB with you in 2024!

Hi Journal, :-D

Ready or not, here it comes!!!

Went hiking last Saturday at my favorite yellow trail. The weather was crazy warm for Chicagoland late December at about 55 degrees. We had a bunch of rain the couple of days prior --- so it was an incredibly muddy walk --- but beautiful, recharging, and quiet.

It was so quiet that I got to meet some deer up close. They are such gentle, beautiful, majestic creatures… ❤️

I didn’t photo my breakfast this week. Instead, here are two pics of my favorite lunch salad. Always a good clip of brown rice and corn with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, pineapple, beans. Sometimes I add mango and / or bell peppers. This is my favorite meal. I eat it almost every day and never get tired of it.

Here is an easy meal. Just sweet potato with salad veggies and fruit. Delicious.

I met up with some of my gf’s from high school over the extended break at CPK. Not much compliant food there --- surprise! I ate breakfast late that day – so wasn’t overly hungry. Had the smashed pea and barley soup which has MWL compliant ingredients EXCEPT it is a sodium bomb. I didn’t use any other overt source of salt that day.

So excited to be going to NYE party at PB place tomorrow. A PB buddy made us all special tanks for the occasion. We have 3.5 hours of court time! :cool:

Below is behavioral assessment that I will post for week of 12/29.

We have almost made it through the holiday season! I am really looking forward to a fantastic 2024 and hope that you all are as well. I am glad that we have this group to share our health journey and learn as we go.

Still mostly. I really do want to get this to 100% and I know how (not hard!) – but maybe lacking the oomph right now to focus.

Yes. Loving my meals!

Yes, mostly --- EXCEPT I did have soup at a restaurant (CPK) that contained a lot of sodium. I adjusted by not having any other overt sources of sodium that day. This would be a rare occurrence for me so I am not sweating it.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, I think so.

Yes, 7/7. Still walking and strength training consistently. Have played pickleball at 3 new gyms so far while off work for the holiday season. Our larger drill / match group had the highest turnout ever on Friday and we played some king / queen of the court --- and were at a place big enough that we didn’t have to rotate sitting out. I am SUPER EXCITED to be going to NYE party at pickleball place tomorrow.

I have my last holiday event of the season tomorrow. Another scenario of going to a new place for dinner where the people aren’t already acclimated to my way of eating. I am pretty sure the food will be buffet line (easier to me than pre-plated or family style) --- but I did explain to my friend that I don’t eat any animal products or oil and asked if I can bring a dish in hopes of making the event go more smoothly. I am going to bring a bean / rice / corn Mexican salad for another main dish. (I don't get into a full explanation of diet unless someone asks --- just trying to give a warning that I am not going to eat anything... )

Mark, welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful holiday with family and friends!

Bambi, I’m also ready for the holidays to be over! Back to “regular life”…

Rachel, I am so sorry for the loss of your father and the tough year you went through. Grateful to see you in the group. Your story is inspiring --- as is how you are going about getting back to MWL.

Gimmelean, I am also grateful for the support of this community and how we can learn from each other and share. Priceless!

Rebecka, Thanks for sharing your goals and thought process around them! ❤️

Starflower, I am also going into 2024 hopeful that I can apply lessons learned through years past to make it more successful.

A big “hi” to anyone who comes later that I missed.

Happy New Year to all! Hoping 2024 is filled with health and happiness!

Stephanie 

VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:34 am

I’m SO ready for 2024! Wishing you a wonderful year, Stephanie! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

01/05 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:59 pm

Thank you, Starflower!!!! :-D

Happy New Year!!!

I feel quite positive about what I accomplished last year. Progress isn’t always linear --- and working through bumps in the road seems to be an important part of the journey.

I was happy to McDougall all year following the MWL checklist closely (but not perfectly). I continue to feel terrific and only had ONE instance of anxiety this year. This is incredible forward progress! Additionally, what I have learned closely following the program since May 2021 has enabled me to jump in and make other health-supporting changes.

• I gave up some bad habits early in 2023 (for example: coffee and alcohol) - in a black and white way and am going strong. This was not nearly as difficult as I had imagined it would be. It feels amazing to align my behaviors with my values.
• I added strength training to my regular routine with the support of a trainer. This is going great – I am about 3 months in with this habit and am feeling stronger and more confident in ultimately continuing this on my own and keeping it a consistent habit.
• I picked up a pickleball paddle in March and fell in love ❤️ with this sport! Cannot get enough of it --- love to play and love the social aspects. I have made a few good friends and many buddies this year – it is a phenomenal sport and community!
• I made a great start to practical retirement planning --- a Day in the Life (how to best occupy the time) and am happy with where that landed.
• I kept closely engaged with family and friends and feel happy and connected in my relationships.

Which brings me to … YAY – it is 2024!!!
Instead of setting resolutions or specific goals, I have the intention of making 2024 happy, healthy, and strong.

In Katherine Morgan Schafler’s “The Perfectionist’s Guide to Losing Control: A Path to Peace and Power”, she describes intentions as:

“Your intention is the energy and purpose behind your striving; your goal is what you’re striving for. When you set an intention, you’re giving yourself a way to feel success, satisfaction, and enjoyment during the process, not just in the afterglow of success.”

Surprise! I had oatmeal with banana, dark cherries, and mango for my first meal of 2024!! It was delicious! I also went to my neighborhood gym and walked the indoor track with some jog intervals for 60 minutes. Would have preferred to be outside BUT it was COLD!!!

A simple and delicious lunch!

Below is behavioral assessment that I will post for week of 1/5.

Hope everyone is starting off the New Year in an amazing way!!! Here is my week.

Mostly – 18/21. I am writing out my PL’s on my day planner. That helps me to REMEMBER to just do it.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I try to do this but maybe I am eating past satiation. I am working with Tiffany (support specialist from McD 12 Day).

Yes for 6/7 – took a rest day. Walking, strength training, and pickleball. Went to a NYE party at a brand new PB place and it was amazing!!! My league starts up again this upcoming week. My partner and I are signed up for both intermediate and advanced – we’ll see how that goes!

Mark – From last week, bringing a compliant starchy dish to the party worked out well! I am glad that I did set expectations before the event and it was no big deal. Had a wonderful time!

JaBee – A big hi and welcome to the group!

Rebecka- I am inspired by your exercise routine! If I pick up a jump rope this month, it is because I read your comments!!! :lol:

Further to Mark’s opening questions on 2024:

For 2024, my intention is to focus on being happy, healthy, and strong. I plan to continue to:
1) Follow McD / MWL checklist
2) Exercise (walk each day, strength train 2-3x / week, play pickleball as much as I can)
3) Connect with family and friends frequently and meaningfully
4) Plan for retirement (various scenarios)
Other than that, I may set short-term goals during the year that align with my overall intention. Right now is my busiest time of the year at work and it makes most sense for me to just keep going (and not add stress or to do’s)!

I did sign up for some events throughout the year that are a mix of exercise and social connection. My goal is to participate and have fun at these activities!
1) My PB partner and I are attending a camp in September with a pro (got almost last slots!)
2) Walk / jog a half marathon with my high school buddy in May (and maybe another in October)
3) Various PB tournaments with partners (also signed up for one where you are solo)

Thanks, Mark for all of your support!! Thanks, everyone for participating! ❤️ that we have this community!

Wishing everyone their best year yet!

Cheers,
Stephanie 

VegSeekingFit

01/12 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:39 pm

Hope everyone is doing great! We are in the middle of a winter storm here in Chicagoland ---seems like everything is cancelled for this weekend. It is pretty to watch the snow from the warm inside. We also have a wind chill advisory through Wednesday with some negative temps expected (yuck!). I will be going to the gym to walk --- no desire to freeze my tail off.

Mostly – 17/21. Mainly used finger food salad / throw veggies on a plate. Also had apples, melon, orange. Will make a pot of soup this week – it is definitely the season for it!

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I continue to work on making sure that I am eating mindfully. I do not ever starve – that’s for sure.

Yes, 6/7 – again took a rest day.

Mark – Thank you for your supportive feedback and for posting that link from McDougall on starting a plant-based diet. Missed checking this out when it was sent.

Bambi – Glad your week went better and that some new recipes hit the spot.
Rebecka- I am with you looking forward to longer and warmer days!!! I love how you are being active with your daughter --- that sounds like fun (and creating great memories)!

Jeff – Happy New Year! I really appreciate you sharing those comments on the program. So much helpful information ❤️! It seems to me that the All or Nothing Thinking directly relates to sustainability and is almost like learning how to optimize your health for the long-term while avoiding both The Pleasure Trap and The Ego Trap (by knowing yourself) in a toxic food environment. Also, could not agree more about the value of posting here when it may feel vulnerable to do so / things aren’t going great. Personally, I have learned the most when I was struggling and forever value the incredible encouragement and support from Mark and Wildgoose! Thank you!

Rachel – Happy birthday! Also, sending well wishes for your sister. Agree that it is so important to take care of yourself during times of stress.

Artista – So glad you asked Mark those questions and have lots of food for thought.

Chesca – Awesome story you shared about fruit (and people like it)! Had a similar experience this week when I brought a big bowl of fruit to a party and it was decimated! Love that you shared diet with personal trainer and on social media – awesome!

JaBee – Love your mindset and determination! Also, a steady loss is amazing!

A big hi to anyone to come later!

So grateful for this space to learn and share and get healthier.

Hope everyone has an amazing and healthy week!

Cheers,
Stephanie

P.S. Having same problems as Artista mentioned with getting logged out.

VegSeekingFit

01/12 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:46 pm

Hi Journal!!!
This is from a walk last week in some tame but beautiful snow (felt like walking in a snowglobe). Saw kids sledding and making snowmen.
I brought this fruit tray to a dinner party this week. It was completely obliterated. People love fruit!
Here is a breakfast from the week. Oatmeal!
A couple of lunches. I’ve plated them instead of using a bowl so that I can be more conscious of the portions and the veg or fruit / starch. They are still delicious. The fruit bowl has mango, pineapple, and grapes --- OMG!
This was a simple and quick dinner.
My favorite sweet potato - ❤️ the color! Also delicious!
Found these examples of self-talk to consider in “The Science of Weight Loss” / John Hopkins University Press. Some nuggets in there that may be helpful to consider.
Happy, Healthy, Strong
I am going to keep track of my intentions for 2024 here. Funny that I heard about / discussed New Year’s resolutions and “power” word of the year with my women’s networking league this week. Had not heard of the power word concept before and it is intriguing. We had a great discussion walking through each person’s ideas and plans for 2024. I am saving a few that spoke to me for future consideration --- present (re: mindfulness), chill / breathe, no.
1) Follow MWL checklist (closely)
Yes. See below behavioral assessment
2) Exercise (daily walk, 2-3X/week strength train, pickleball)
Yes, but a bit light on the pb this week! Winter storm cancelled league. I am starting to like planking though. In a strange way!
3) Connect with family and friends
Yes. Planned activities for this weekend are mainly postponed. We are watching some movies and will play games due to the winter storm.
4) Plan for retirement
Daydreaming….
5) Events – social / exercise
Upcoming - I have a 1/22 tournament with a partner. Have the day off work to participate.

Posted assessment separately this week...

VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:22 pm

Hi Stephanie! :)

You’re doing amazingly! The sweet potatoes look so good! What variety are they? I hope you enjoy lots of quiet down time while the weather rages. I love to do that.

I’ve been having problems with getting logged out, running into server not found errors, and I could swear I posted at least once in my journal after the last post I found there today. It started a few days ago. Hopefully we’re good now!

Keep on being inspiring! Wishing you a wonderful week! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

01/19 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:34 am

Hi Starflower!
Thank you for stopping by and for your incredible and supportive comments! The purple sweet potato is called Stokes and it is a beautiful color and is slightly sweet with a cake-like texture. They are wonderful!

Hi Journal!
I made a super easy whole wheat pasta dish with frozen veggies and Pomi. Kind of like a JeffN SNAP recipe, but I used more pasta than called for. Came together quickly and was quite tasty.
Brown rice, corn and beans salad is still my favorite lunch – delicious! I stopped plating it but am using a bit smaller bowl than I used to. Keeping mindful of stopping eating when satiated.
Was really excited to find these honey mangoes at the store!!! Lately the large red ones have been “meh” or missing entirely from the produce section. These honey mangoes are delicious!

Happy, Healthy, Strong - 2024

Yes. I am continuing to eat mindfully.
Yes. Didn’t walk each day due to gym closures and no way I was walking outside in subzero – yikes! Did run intervals at the gym – 10 X 150 meters that got my heartrate up. I have been incorporating strides for the past couple of months, but this is my first attempt at putting a method to my madness. Played a ton of pickleball last night – got a bit clobbered in the Advanced league (not unexpected) – won 1 of 6 games. Much better results for Intermediate – won 5 of 6 games.
Yes. Meeting my bff for lunch. Tonight is family game night.
4) Plan for retirement
Adding some travel to warmer climates to the plan!
BOO - my 1/22 tournament was cancelled due to low sign-up. Meeting my partner at an open play gym to practice instead. Signed up for a different one in early March.

Below is behavioral assessment that I will post for week of 1/19.

Hope that everyone is hanging in there through the winter! I am already looking forward to the spring and the longer days, sun and flowers that it brings. I guess a two month wait! Here is my week.

Mostly – 16/21.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Mostly. I had veggie sushi at one meal that included some avocado. Avocado isn’t a problem food for me or a food that I keep in the house. Reminds me that I really do want to learn how to make my own sushi (I wouldn’t use the avocado). Have watched a Youtube clip and reviewed a couple of recipes – just need to get the ingredients and make the attempt. I have a feeling that the first few will be sushi bowls…

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I am still focusing on eating mindfully.

Less than normal due to subzero weather, snowstorms, and gym closings - 5/7. I paced a bit around the house and did some jumping jacks a few times during the “rest” days.

Awesome post last week from Dr. McDougall – thanks, Mark for sharing it!!!

Hope that everyone has a wonderful week and success in continuing to build healthy habits.

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

01/26 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:39 am

Hi Journal,

Has been quite a busy week. I always like to make sure that I have planned at least one thing in my day to be excited about!

Yes.
Yes. My favorite pickleball sessions started back up – it’s like pb unleashed with lots of intense games, fun, and loud music. I continued with the 10 x 150m intervals and timed my laps. Looking roughly at 9:20-10:30 / mi. on the “sprints” and 14:00-15:30 / mi. walking. I also do some 50m sprints that I have not timed. The strength training continues to progress.
Yes. Meeting a friend for breakfast, which I have decided is the easiest meal to get compliant food. Hello oatmeal and fruit!
4) Plan for retirement
No action this week.
Have a tournament next weekend – it’s a round robin with no partner – you play 7 games partnering with each of your opponents. I have some buddies that will also be at this event.

Below is behavioral assessment that I will post for week of 1/26.

Happy weekend! Here is my week in review.

Some – 13/21. I really would have estimated this at more (but I actually counted them). Would like to do a bit better here.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. Thank you, Mark for sharing the veggie sushi clip (which was great with the detail)!! I am going to order some supplies this week to give it a go.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I think so.

6/7. I have a harder time in the cold dark getting myself out of the house to move (it is no problem in the nicer months – I am usually chomping at the bit). I am really happy to be moving once I have started.

Mark, on your question last week --- I think that this group is the best thread on the internet! I hope for 2024 we can continue to practice healthy habits, learn, and share in this space. In addition to providing an uplifting, supportive, and educational environment --- I feel that the structure of this group provides an important framework and methodology for self-assessment which we can all take forward to optimize our health.

Thank you so much to you, Jeff, and Wildgoose for all that you do to support this community ❤️ . I also appreciate fellow members of the group – we’re all in this together!

Wishing everyone a fantastic upcoming week!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:39 am

Stephanie, love the Snoopy, I’m a huge Peanuts fan I have at least 5 t-shirts lol. I hope you enjoyed your tournament and played well. :-D

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

2/2 Time and Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:32 am

Hi Erin,
❤️ that you have Peanuts t-shirts!!! I am a big fan and used to check out a stack of the books from the library each week – wanted to read them all! Thanks for the well wishes on the tournament! Will be playing tomorrow – hoping for some great competition and minimal unforced errors.
Hi Journal!
❤️❤️ Happy February!!! ❤️❤️

Made a big crockpot of an old favorite --- Mexi Soup (recipe on this website). It is delicious – especially over brown rice or a potato. I added a few shakes of hot sauce so it is nice and spicy.
Haven’t posted a picture of breakfast for awhile!!! Here it is --- oats with blueberries and a banana.

Yes.
Yes. Keeping on with the strength training. Walking – consistent, but missing a day here and there. Doing intervals 2X a week. Did 10 x 150m again and then 10 x 50m following. Did not time them – won’t time them often – just trying to break out from the steady state cardio mode. Still loving pickleball – league is fun – my partner and I are firmly in first place for intermediate and firmly in last place for advanced. Has been a great learning experience (and humbling!).
Yes.
4) Plan for retirement
No action this week. Probably will begin in Q2.
PB tournament is tomorrow. I also signed up for a table tennis tournament at work – it starts this week and is single elimination – so may be a one and done – TBD.

Below is behavioral assessment that I will post for week of 2/2.

Happy February!!! Hope everyone had a great week.

Many times – 15/21.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I am never starving. I continue to be mindful to stop eating at satiation.

6/7 again. I have a pickleball tournament coming up tomorrow that I am looking forward to. It will be a long day – so will be packing: banana, grapes, carrots, and some potatoes. Snacks are provided and experience tells me that they will be in the form of pretzels, granola bars, and chocolate – so best not to be hungry!

Mark – I got my bamboo mat and sheets of seaweed --- so more to come soon on the veggie sushi experiment!

Hope that everyone has a happy and productive week!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals