Potato-cat 'Journey'

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Potato-cat 'Journey'

Postby potato-cat » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:58 pm

Today is 2023-01-14-Saturday.

Hello. My name is Daniel. In 2021 I came across the name John Mcdougall via a man named John Rose. It was after listening to John Rose talk about so-called 'behavorial problems' in children stemming from those children not being fed their species-appropriate-diet, that I decided to try a whole-food-plant-based diet.

Fast-forward ~19 months. Over the last 6 days I have eaten 20-pounds of white potato ("russet"). 2 days ago, Thursday, I realized my mood had 'lifted'. Throughout my life I have experienced frequent durations of 'depression', suicidal ideation, 1 suicide attempt, etc. Additionally, for the past ~15 years, I have had 'acne', to the extent that I use the phrase "pus and blood" to describe the health of my face. I have also had an ear-infection for the past ~4 years.

Today I purchased 30-pounds of white potato, for ~18$. My goal is to consume ~1800-calories-per-day of potato (boiled). I will season my potato using liquid-aminos (soy-sauce) and pre-packaged spices. I love fruit, so I will also be eating pineapple and frozen-mango. Water to drink. Nothing else. I also vape nicotine after ~6 years of smoking cigarettes.

In 7 days, I will provide an update on this thread.

Cheers.
potato-cat

Re: Potato-cat 'Journey'

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:57 pm

Hi Daniel / Potato-cat (OMG, love this handle!!), :)

Wishing you the best and look forward to hearing how you are doing!!!! :D

Here are a couple of threads that you may be interested in on how changing diet may help with depression (second has study references too).

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... on#p599136

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... ion#p70649

I have been following Dr. McD's MWL for over 1.5 years and it has helped me tremendously with anxiety. Also, definitely enhances mood and energy levels!!!

Not sure if you are exercising at all? Walking outside is awesome mood booster too.

Take care.

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Taggart » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:25 am

Andrew Taylor (Spudfit) suffered from depression and anxiety:

How I Beat Depression - Spud Fit Challenge day 343

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqGouo4FKaw

----------------------------------

How We CURED Our ACNE - Nina and Randa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qdwn2itsgg

--------------------------------

I look forward to your update in a week's time.
Taggart

Postby potato-cat » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:31 pm

Note to mods: I see now that I probably should have posted this in "My Daily Menus & Journals". Feel free to move this thread to that area.

Today is 2023-01-21-Saturday.

1 week has passed since my first post. Over the last 7 days I consumed ~30-pounds of russet potato, and ~3 cups of rice.

Contrary to my original plan, I drank ~16oz of soymilk last Sunday, and used some condiments/spices I didn't originally plan on.

Interestingly, the day after my original post, someone updated the post about Bragg's Liquid Aminos. In light of that post I've discontinued my consumption of that material.

The biggest change I've noticed is my breathing. My breathing is more steady, slightly deeper, and feels more 'automatic'. For the past few years I've noticed myself 'forgetting' to breath -- especially at night. I'd find that as I was beginning to fall asleep, I'd 'wake-up' gasping for air. I find my improvement in breathing especially interesting because I vape nicotine.

Additional positive changes: better sleep, better poop, calmer. Being calmer I also find especially interesting because of my current life-circumstances. I'm a bad conversation away from being homeless. Presently unemployed. Etc.

My face still looks like red-trash, but it's far less oily. So that's nice.

Today I acquired 35-pounds of potato, 5-pounds-per-day. I've seen different numbers attributed to calories-per-gram of potato, ranging from 1-calorie:1-gram from McDougall, to about 0.75-calorie:1-gram from the potato packaging, etc. At the lower-end I should be getting at least 1,500-calories:day, which is still 300-calories short of my 1800-calorie:day goal.

I also got 2.5-pounds of frozen cherries. These will be gone in ~2-days.

I think I've settled on apple-cider-vinegar, ketchup, and cayenne-pepper as my seasoning. I boil the potato.

Thank-you to both Taggart and VegSeekingFit for your comments. Based on Taggart's video-links I decided to cut all overt fat (bye-bye soymilk).

I think that's it. Cheers.
potato-cat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:03 am

Hi Daniel / Potato-cat! :)

Hope that your week with mainly potato is going well!!!

Let us know how you are doing --- we are all pulling for you.

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Seeking wfpb info » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:27 am

Hi,
Check out Spudfit. I think he said he included also sweet potatoes not just white potatoes because of vitamin A or maybe just general extra nutrition.
Best of luck!
Seeking wfpb info

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals