weight loss

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

weight loss

Postby KaraH » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:35 am

so obviously I want to lose weight... I have 35 lbs I need to get off me. I did do this program when I was much much heavier, I lost over 65 lbs and then the losses stopped and eventually I went the traditional route, Weight watchers, etc....nada...... I now have a sever issue with my back which makes even walking long distances an issue... walking for maybe 5 mins. is all I can do... my question can weight loss happen following this program without exercise? I also was considering starting off with a Mary's mini as I've never done one before....
KaraH

Re: weight loss

Postby PJK » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:51 am

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: It's all about the food. While exercise is good for you, it's not an efficient way to lose weight. Changing your diet is.
PJK

Postby MINNIE » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:47 am

Agreed. Exercise has many benefits, but weight loss is much more affected by dietary changes.

A lot of scientific research confirms this.

(You might find this article interesting: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5556592/)

Exercise has many benefits for mind and body, when you are more able to do it. But if you are not able to do much physical activity at this point, do what you can by eating for better health and safe weight loss.
MINNIE

Postby KillSwitch » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:15 pm

After you lose the weight, the back pain might ease up, allowing for exercise.

I agree with what the others have said.

Healthy Diet is King and exercise is queen IMO.

I combine both for max. benefit. :D
KillSwitch

Postby SIE » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:23 am

Many times people say things like "My doctor said I need to lose 50 pounds" without considering what that really means.

An excellent question would be "Lose 50 pounds of WHAT exactly?"

All a simple scale does is register weight, the pull of gravity on your body. It doesn't tell you what that weight consists of, so though it is convenient it really isn't the best tool for the job. The body consists of many things - vital organs, skin, muscle, bones and of course fat, to name a few.

We'd all like to get rid of excess fat, but nobody in their right mind wants to lose muscle or bone mass.
To simplify this, many break down the body into fat mass and everything else - which they call "lean mass".

The idea is to get rid of fat, but not lose muscle or bone - but since "lean mass" isn't just muscle, roughly half of it is other things like skin, blood vessels, organs of the body and so forth - and a part of that supports fat storage, for example extra skin and blood vessels - some lean mass is always lost when fat is lost.

Many times, people lose weight consisting of both fat and muscle, only to regain all the fat and then some - but not regain the lost muscle. When this is repeated over time, the dieter becomes weaker and fatter with each cycle. Not what you want.

What's important is to minimize muscle loss, and maximize fat loss.
Lean healthy muscle mass is vital to human function - doing day to day tasks, having good insulin sensitivity, and much more.

A good way to think of it is that for the most part what you eat determines what you weigh, and exercise determines how much of that weight is muscle tissue.

So, yes, to answer the original question, nutrition controls weight and you absolutely can lose weight whether you exercise or not.
Meanwhile, exercise is a separate and important thing. Any exercise you can do will help prevent muscle loss.

All of this to say, be creative - my mother in law had a back that was so bad she couldn't walk over 50 feet. Didn't stop her from having a little set of pedals on the floor she could sit in a chair and pump without engaging her back, and a couple tennis balls to squeeze, and about a half dozen little ways to exercise around her disabilities. She also insisted on walking that 50 feet as often as her condition would allow, and kept trying to add a few extra feet to it. Added good functional years to her life. She could have been totally sedentary and weighed 10 pounds less - but she'd have carried more fat and had less muscle, and been unable to get out of her chair without help.

So - two different things, with two different goals.

1. Eat the McDougall way, be healthy and lose fat.
2. Do whatever you can do to help stay strong as that fat is coming off.

And - trust tape measure and fit of clothing rather than the bathroom scale.
SIE

Postby ahmad123 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:45 am

Celiac disease is a chronic digestive and immune disorder that damages the small intestine. This disease is triggered by eating foods containing gluten. This disease can cause long-term digestive problems and prevent your body from getting all the nutrients it needs.
ahmad123

Return to Health Issues