Your takeaway summary would be appreciated...

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Your takeaway summary would be appreciated...

Postby Vlew1274 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm

I have searched the board for guidance on Vitamin D supplementation in the time of COVID.

I have avoided taking Vitamin D because of Dr. McDougall's comments on supplementation & increased cardiac risk. However, my levels are low & there is a lot of chatter about taking 5,000 IU or more of vitamin D daily to protect against COVID. Jeff, do you have an opinion on this? Or can you point me to the discussion within this group?

Thank you. Veronica.
Vlew1274

Re: Your takeaway summary would be appreciated...

Postby pundit999 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:28 pm

Vaccines are widely available unless you are younger than 18.
Just get the vaccine. Evidence for vitamin D being protective against Covid is not strong anyway.
pundit999

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:27 pm

pundit999 wrote:Vaccines are widely available unless you are younger than 18.
Just get the vaccine. Evidence for vitamin D being protective against Covid is not strong anyway.

Bingo.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby michaelswarm » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:14 pm

Recently had my own vitamin D blood level tested, along with B12 and typical blood cholesterol. First time for D and B12, so no previous baseline. Lower than I would have guessed, since I live in Mexico. I plan to spend more time outdoors in the sun with my kids, and continue my excellent diet.

VITAMINA D ( 25-DEHIDROXI )​ 22.92 ​ng/Ml *
Vitamin D will be only one of many factors, in theory, that affect your infectious disease resistance. What was your measurement?

Still waiting to hear Dr McDougall’s analysis of the Covid vaccines. I have heard he plans to get them when he has reviewed the science. I have not heard any updates since then.
michaelswarm

Postby SIE » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:41 pm

michaelswarm wrote:Recently had my own vitamin D blood level tested, along with B12 and typical blood cholesterol. First time for D and B12, so no previous baseline. Lower than I would have guessed, since I live in Mexico. I plan to spend more time outdoors in the sun with my kids, and continue my excellent diet.

VITAMINA D ( 25-DEHIDROXI )​ 22.92 ​ng/Ml *
Vitamin D will be only one of many factors, in theory, that affect your infectious disease resistance. What was your measurement?

Still waiting to hear Dr McDougall’s analysis of the Covid vaccines. I have heard he plans to get them when he has reviewed the science. I have not heard any updates since then.

Hmm...

What part of MX in general, if I may ask - sunny inland, out in the marine layer all the time, or other... ?!

Just trying to figure out whether I should worry about this sort of thing, since I could also do well to spend a bit more time outdoors...
SIE

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:03 pm

I walk with my kids to and from school each day, which gives me 1-2hr light walking time and outdoor sunshine time. During the lockdowns and school closures, this stopped. I had the blood tests done just before the kids returned to school. So back to everyday sun exposure. Live in Puerto Vallarta, which gets so much sun I have to be careful to stay in the shade, and limit exposure. I am not worried, and do not supplement.

If you have any concern, add the test to your next routine check up.
michaelswarm

Postby SIE » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks, michaels',

We're on the coast and there's been an unusually persistent marine layer this year, so I haven't had to hide from the sun at all just yet, quite the opposite.

Following latest data from Dr. John Campbell, levels around 50 nmol/L (20ng/ml) and up are pretty strongly associated with not being hospitalized due to covid - so as this latest wave develops, it would be a great time to be at a decent level.

If you're interested, one of the few clear voices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W8tWkT2BC0
SIE

Return to Health Issues