Osteoporosis...maybe I just don't need that much bone?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Osteoporosis...maybe I just don't need that much bone?

Postby Atheria » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:01 pm

I know Dr. McDougall has said that older women (I'll be 55 on the 20th) don't need all the bone density that DEXA scans like to say we're lacking because we are not birthing kids and such anymore (I never did), but I'm wondering if my osteoporosis (was first diagnosed at 47 and thought it was improving due to exercise, but it's not) diagnosis might not be fair. I have VERY small bones. When I saw images of my hips and such years ago, I didn't know how the heck my bones even held me upright. LOL! I also don't weigh much...barely 90 lbs. So, I'm wondering if someone with small bones might get diagnosed with osteoporosis because we're compared to people with big bones? I mean, it doesn't seem fair to compare me with wrists that are half the size of other women's wrists, for example. I know density and circumference are different, but circumference of bone has to affect the DEXA scans a bit. Also, because my bones only need to carry around 90 lbs. soaking wet, perhaps they've just adjusted to not needing to be AS dense as other people's bones that carry around 150 lbs.

I refused Fosamax when my new doctor tried to get me to take it months ago with my new scan. I've been a vegan for decades and am active. I have started doing some light weight training and am jumping 20x twice a day off a curb...slamming my bones as much as possible. SUPPOSEDLY, jumping like that...which one article called "bang your bones"...has been shown to be very effective in some studies regarding regaining bone density. I pray it works.

Pondering,
Atheria who doesn't want to turn into dust...
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Re: Osteoporosis...maybe I just don't need that much bone?

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:19 pm

Atheria, good to see you posting again. I've been thinking about you. I'm still in the Fishman study. In fact I took his teacher certification training when he gave it via Zoom. No, I doubt that I will ever become a yoga teacher, but I did learn a lot. Dr. Fishman has been giving a lot of Zoom trainings since COVID lockdown began. They are really worth looking into.

Dr. Fishman also referred me to Dr. Gregory Chang, who is also in New York. He's doing an osteoporosis study focusing on bone quality rather than density. He has some special kind of MRI that compares a person's DEXA scan with the MRI and follows the patient for three years. Thus far I've had two scans one year apart, and from what he can tell thus far, my bones are in better shape than he would expect for a woman of my age (72). Is it because of the yoga? Not sure. Yes, I still have osteoporosis. But density may not be the only important factor.

I, too, have refused drugs. I do yoga twice a day, every day whether I want to or not. I also have a fairly small frame. Never had kids. Maybe we just don't need all that bone. In any case, I'm not willing to destroy my digestive health by taking the drugs.

Keep in touch.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Health Issues