Heart myxoma

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Heart myxoma

Postby vman » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:08 am

If you’re wondering what a myxoma is, I was too, until they told me I had one and explained what it was. Tumor in my heart? After a few fainting spells after long bike rides, and normal ekg and stress tests, an echo finally found the problem: a 3cm by 3cm mass attached to the wall of my left atrium. Lucky it hasn’t broken off yet and killed me, so am scheduled for surgery very soon to remove. I never even knew tumors could grow inside the heart, but fortunately, these are almost always benign (fingers crossed) and highly operable with normal prognosis assuming everything goes well.

Now I’m even more thankful I’ve been plant based for over fifteen years. Now in my early 60’s, the docs expected to see more atherosclerosis in my system in the angio scans, but apart from very slight signs in one artery, everything is completely clear. Since I never had scans before, for all I know, the very slight stuff they saw might have been worse years ago after fifty years of Meat heavy SAD. This will at least improve my chances of success in removing the tumor, and allow them to use less invasive techniques than full open chest surgery. Whatever caused this tumor, genes, or some environmental exposure, I’m so thankful for finding this way of eating 15 years ago to at least give me a better chance of survival. I’ll check back in after surgery next week.
vman

Re: Heart myxoma

Postby debknott » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:36 am

Wow! Congratulations on finding this tumor in time to have it removed. I'm praying that all goes well and that you make a full recovery. :)
debknott

Postby Daydream » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:50 pm

I wish you a successful surgery and easy recovery.
Daydream

Postby vman » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Operation successful. Tumor removed, and just in time according to the look of it. Was getting reading to break off a piece, which sometimes can be the of things. Now to heal up.
vman

Postby Vegankit » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Glad to hear surgery was successful. Hope you have a smooth recovery.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Wishing you well, vman. Glad your surgery went ok.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby vman » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:28 am

One year post robotic minimally invasive surgery for my myxoma tumor and doing great. Only setback was a very nasty bout of Covid, but mostly doing well. Heart is still adapting to not having a golf ball sized mass in the left atrium so I still need some hypertension drugs to keep it beating properly, but I am doing forty mile plus bike rides now and will be back skiing again. For all the skepticism we sometimes have about doctors, I am incredibly thankful for the miracle my heart surgeon was able to perform.
vman

Postby viv » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:00 am

Great news vman! So happy for you that your operation was successful and now you can get back to all your athletic pursuits! Yes def this lifestyle gives us a chance to spend many more years on this beautiful Earth. Like you I'm living a healthy life all due to our wonderful Dr. McDougall.

Best wishes, Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby debknott » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:04 pm

I'm SOOO happy to hear that you are well! Praise God! :-D
debknott

Return to Health Issues