Blemishes

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Darby » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi SandyW,
An esthetician could definitely extract milia; however, you want to make sure to go to somebody who knows what they are doing.

If they are around your eyes, I recommend you go to a dermatologist. I won't extract them around the eyes, just because you do use a lancet and I don't want to poke somebody in the eye.
Darby

Postby SandyW » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks, Darby....I live in a small area and only found one esthetician around here and checked the dermatologists on my insurance provider's list and there's only one....so, just have to make my decision. I am going to call the place where the esthetician works and see if she gives a consult first then go from there. No, they aren't around my eyes...kind of in the crease where the nostril meets the cheek. Thanks again for your reply!
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

Hi, Diane! In the Dc area ,Crystal City shops has a salon

Postby veggiecat » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:40 am

called La-Or that does facials,etc. for a reasonable price. There's an internet coupon ,too.I've had a few facials in asst'd places;most of them seem to want you to leave coated with a film of oil. ICK! If you look around the major dept. stores,you could probably find a free facial at the Clarins or Origins counters.
You might want to read Paula Begoun's" Don't Go To The Cosmetics
Counter Without Me".You may not need moisturizer at all,or just in dry
areas. My skin breaks out if I use it.
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby DianeR » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:54 pm

Thanks, veggiecat. I think I will see how my new program works and take it from there. Knowing me, I have to go somewhere close or I'm not going to go at all or at least not regularly.

I'll look into that book you mention.
DianeR

getting things removed from your face

Postby momof4 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:20 pm

Someone in an earlier post mentioned needing something removed from her face. I had a large mole on my chin (which got larger with each pregnancy), and NO dermatologist would remove it--they all said it would leave a scar more noticeable than the mole. Then I found out (not from any dermatologist, btw), that plastic surgeons can take care of that stuff. I felt kinda funny calling to make the appt, and told the receptionist it seemed weird to go to a plastic surgeon for a mole. She replied, "If I had to have anything removed from my face, I'd only see a plastic surgeon." Of course it makes sense, as they're the ones that know how to make the cuts and sew things up with the least amount of scarring. Surprisingly, our insurance (which is usually pretty bad!) covered it as well.
momof4

Milia? and cystic zits..to Darby

Postby Jeanie » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 pm

What are milia?

I have cystic places on my chin that never seem to go completely away. They flare up and are sore and annoying - sometimes I poke at them absentmindedly when I'm reading and then just get icky scabs- and then they die down slightly and then come back. I am menopausal - 50yrs old and would like to figure out how to clear up my skin too. I seem to break out right in the middle of my face - between my eyebrows, at my nose on either side and right under it and then on my chin.... Maybe more water will help? And, I am trying to not bother the places with my hands - old habits are hard to break.

I'll see if I can find cetaphil.
Jeanie

cystic acne

Postby Darby » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:24 pm

Jeanie,
Milia are whiteheads. They are caused by a blocked pore.

Cystic acne is a tough one. I had terrible cystic acne when I was a teenager, and my mom eventually took me to a holistic nutritionist who told me I was pretty much allergic to everything. He took me off dairy, wheat, etc. Within 3 weeks, the acne that had been plagueing me for a year, had completely cleared up!

However, it's not always that easy. It is very often due to out of whack hormones, and as you are menopausal, I imagine that is the problem. Unfortunately I don't have any advice other than don't pick at your face. No facial in the world is going to help. I do recommend to my clients to try quitting dairy for a while and see if that helps. Often it does. I really believe that a lot of acne can be healed with diet, but it's hard to convince people and the other option is to go to a dermatologist and try antibiotics, topical creams such as retin-a, or worst case (and I absolutely don't recommend this) accutane. But all those things really just mask the symptoms and don't get to the root of the problem.

There has been a lot of research on lasers helping with acne. I honestly don't know if this has a long term affect (effect?) or not, but it may be something to look into. You can check to see if there is a laser center in your town. If you do, make sure that it is overseen by a doctor. Unfortunately, I've heard of places that don't have well-trained staff, and that can be dangerous when playing with lasers.

I hope this helps. And you may just "outgrow" it once you've gone through menopause. But don't pick, cause you will cause scarring.

Darby
Darby

Thanks, Darby....

Postby Jeanie » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:37 pm

I'll try to be mindful of my hands ! I'm seeing an endocrinologist in a week to check my thyroid - maybe she can offer advice about my unbalanced hormones.

Mostly, I'll just keep my face clean, TRY to remember to not pick, and live with it.
Jeanie

Postby DianeR » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:00 am

I thought I'd give an update. I've used the Cetaphil with a facial brush for a week and a half. I also use it with sugar as a scrub every other day. I have been trying not to touch my face or sleep on my side such that my face is being touched.

My complexion has improved, but I still have small pink spots remaining on both cheeks just outside the lines between the nose and corners of the mouth. Perhaps I need to wait until healthy skin works its way out? I guess I have to continue and see what happens.

I WILL try to avoid much fat over Thanksgiving, although that will be a toughie since I'll be staying with relatives. :?
DianeR

Postby Darby » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:21 pm

Sometimes it takes time before you see results. Although, it sounds as if you're already seeing an improvement. Are the pink spots pimples, or something else?

Also, you might want to back off the sugar scrub a bit. Maybe the pink spots are the result of too much exfoliation. Sometimes you have to play around a bit before you figure out the right combination.

Good luck and keep me posted!!

Darby
Darby

Postby DianeR » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:30 am

The pink spots are very small and look like either the beginning or end of pimples. They aren't generally raised now; before they often were a little bit (these are the blemishes I was complaining about originally). They predate the exfoliation so can't be because of this.

It looks like there is still a little inflamation in the skin. Possible?

I was tempted to buy an acne cream yesterday at the store but held off.
DianeR

Postby Darby » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:51 pm

Hmmmm,

I'm not sure what it is without seeing it. You may give it a few more weeks to see if it clears up with your new skincare routine. If you think there is inflammation, try using tea tree oil on them. I have had great success with tea tree oil. It's antisceptic and antibacterial and will help dry out any pimples without drying out the skin the way acne creams do. You can buy it at health food stores.
Darby

Postby DianeR » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:12 am

I actually have tea tree oil. I've tried it before on my face -- I'm not quite sure whether it works or not.

Maybe I should try it on one side of my face and see :lol:

I'm probably being too impatient. The plogged pores I had (a good assumption) could well have upset things deeper in my skin, perhaps? Or the clogs are deeper than could have worked themselves out yet?

Dear, I'm beginning to gross myself out :eek:

My task for the next few days should be to try to minimize the oil I will get from staying with relatives. We've been explaining the diet to them for over six years and I don't think they quite get it yet. Each year we stay with them we get the same questions :?

Thanks for your insights. I hope you and yours have a happy Thanksgiving :-)
DianeR

Previous

Return to Health Issues