B 12 deficient?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

B 12 deficient?

Postby Werner1950 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:42 am

I've been a McDougall disciple for at least 7 years. For the last 2 years my legs have felt like lumber, and I assumed this was a symptom of aging. Recently I read someone else's comment in which he described exactly the same symptom. 'Legs feel reaĺy heavy" and he mentioned neuropathy and wondered whether it was due to being B-12 deficient .

Has anyone else experienced this and what have you done about it? This symptom discourages me from taking long walks.. i take 500 of B12 weekly.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Re: B 12 deficient?

Postby JeffN » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:03 am

If you think you have a b12 deficiency, the best thing to do is get your serum b12 and a urinary methyl malonic acid tested. Based on your comments, your doctor should order these. If not, you can most likely get a doc on Tele-Med to order them.

If not, and you live in the USA, you can order them yourself and get the tests at a local Labcorp. You can order both as a panel here or individually at the site.

https://www.lifeextension.com/lab-testi ... blood-test

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: B 12 deficient?

Postby viv » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:37 pm

This is also a symptom of chronic venous insufficiency in the legs. The valves in the legs stop working and they feel heavy and in some cases painful. You don't have to be overweight to have venous insufficiency, as the doc says it is a mechanical problem with the legs. I had laser treatment for it at the Vein Clinic and I wished I had done it years ago.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... ncy%20(CVI)%20is,this%20pooling%20is%20called%20stasis.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to Health Issues