Bad Abdominal Problems

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bad Abdominal Problems

Postby WholePlantFoods » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Cindy & I have been eating/living a whole foods/starch, low-fat, sugar/flour/oil/salt/alcohol free lifestyle for 9 years.

I've come here to try & help myself & maybe others who experience my situation. I've added images so you can see my abdomen as soon as I wake in the morning & then after lunch. I've also added a picture from a regular day so you can see my limbs/shoulders/waist are not big. It's my stomach that blows up like a balloon & I look 9 months pregnant by 1pm everyday. I am 5'3" & weigh approx. 105 pounds. Started with the Starch Solution over 9 years ago at 225 pounds. I have maintained the weight loss for years & easily eat the same repetitive diet. I exercise with yoga every morning & a 1-1/2 hour walk (2.75 miles) everyday.
2-3 pieces fruit for breakfast if hungry in the morning. Always a huge salad for lunch with a head or more of lettuce, lots of raw/steamed veggies & some mixture of balsamic vinegar, Tamari, Kirkland no salt seasoning, lemon juice or coconut aminos. Any salt/sugar comes only from condiments such as Sriracha/organic ketchup/mustard/balsamic vinegar/tamari/coconut aminos/hot sauce. For starch, I will have a sweet potato of some sort (microwaved). Dinner is another huge salad followed with a filling amount of microwaved potatoes (russet, stokes, hannah, Japanese, or whatever is on hand). Sometimes I have rice/beans or pasta but not often. This has been going on for years & everything seemed to be fine, I've even a bit underweight if anything. But now, everything is absolutely NOT ok & I don't know what to do. I'm so miserable that I'm considering abandoning a lifestyle that I've practiced for nearly a decade because living with an overly inflated stomach for months isn't a reasonable way to live any longer. I can't even walk with a normal gait. The science proves Dr. McDougall is not wrong but my body is sending out red flags that something is very out of balance.

Can someone please help me? It doesn't matter if everything's cooked, what order I eat the food, etc., the bloat starts after I eat & the whole uncomfortable process starts. My digestion is regular everyday but differs in formation despite eating the same food everyday. I drink 3 liters of water daily as well & have done this for years.

Something is desperately wrong. It's uncomfortable, unsightly, humiliating & unacceptable. I will eat meat if that's what it takes to stop this distention, bloating, abdominal inflation or whatever it is. But, the science doesn't show that as a rational long term answer. I've had it for 10 months & I can't endure it anymore. Waking up everyday facing this is brutal. Jeff, Dr. McDougall, anyone, can you please advise me? All I know, is to trust the starches, fruits & vegetables but something about the way I'm doing it is direly wrong. How can I get care for this initiated?

Thanks,

Cindy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191672749 ... ed-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/191672749@N02/50808731318
WholePlantFoods

Re: Bad Abdominal Problems

Postby Daydream » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:00 am

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry you are dealing with that problem. I would definitely make an appointment with a plant based medical doctor. Many doctors are offering Telemedicine appointments. Here is one option:

https://plantbasedtelehealth.com/

Please let us know what you find out. Your story might help others who are dealing with similar problems. I wish you all the best!
Daydream

Postby WholePlantFoods » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:02 pm

@Daydream
I have explored the available plant based physicians & was in contact with Dr. Laurie Marbas. She suggested cooking all starchy veggies and/or blending everything. As well as removing beans & grains. She also said that I should be seen in person & recommended Dr. Vanessa Mendez as a referral. I contacted her & Dr. Mendez does not take insurance nor do any of the other plant based MDs. I cannot go to a doctor without insurance. All I can can do is continue trying to figure this out alone while remaining on a whole food, low-fat, starch based diet after nearly a decade. I am at a crossroads after all this time as it's not an acceptable way to live in front of my children or family. They all shake their heads with their normal looking bodies at me encouraging me to eat "protein". Eggs, meat, fish, etc.
WholePlantFoods

Postby WholePlantFoods » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:04 pm

Daydream wrote:Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry you are dealing with that problem. I would definitely make an appointment with a plant based medical doctor. Many doctors are offering Telemedicine appointments. Here is one option:

https://plantbasedtelehealth.com/

Please let us know what you find out. Your story might help others who are dealing with similar problems. I wish you all the best!

I have explored the available plant based physicians & was in contact with Dr. Laurie Marbas. She suggested cooking all starchy veggies and/or blending everything. As well as removing beans & grains. She also said that I should be seen in person & recommended Dr. Vanessa Mendez as a referral. I contacted her & Dr. Mendez does not take insurance nor do any of the other plant based MDs. I cannot go to a doctor without insurance. All I can can do is continue trying to figure this out alone while remaining on a whole food, low-fat, starch based diet after nearly a decade. I am at a crossroads after all this time as it's not an acceptable way to live in front of my children or family. They all shake their heads with their normal looking bodies at me encouraging me to eat "protein". Eggs, meat, fish, etc.
WholePlantFoods

Postby Daydream » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:37 pm

Can your primary care doctor refer you to a Gastroenterologist who takes your insurance? Maybe Dr. Vanessa Mendez could refer you to another Gastroenterologist who takes your insurance.

I think I'd do some experiments with my diet. Have you tried the regular Starch Solution program with 90% cooked starch on your plate and 10% non-starchy food on your plate for each meal?
Daydream

Postby WholePlantFoods » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:51 pm

Daydream wrote:Can your primary care doctor refer you to a Gastroenterologist who takes your insurance? Maybe Dr. Vanessa Mendez could refer you to another Gastroenterologist who takes your insurance.

I think I'd do some experiments with my diet. Have you tried the regular Starch Solution program with 90% cooked starch on your plate and 10% non-starchy food on your plate for each meal?

I had an appt. with the PCP trying to get an abdominal ultrasound ordered but he wouldn’t agree to it. He said I was eating the correct combination of foods but to eat smaller meals frequently throughout the day instead of my two main meals. I could tell it was a dead end & he just doesn’t understand how to address the situation.

I’ve eaten the same way all these 9 years...humongous salads, microwaved potatoes & fruit. Sometimes there are burritos, rice/bean bowl or pasta. I’ve only recently started cooking the cruciferous veggies. There are no fake cheeses, mock meats, bread, dressings or soups, desserts or anything. I’ve never tasted that stuff.

I had my TSH tested today. I have been taking Armour thyroid since I was in my 20s. Currently at 75mg. I’m now 52. Never taken Synthroid & afraid to try it. I don’t want to make things worse. I take b12 everyday as well. Nothing else.

My body isn’t making a mistake - that I know. It’s trying to tell me something in a very physical way, I have just got to figure it out so it can rest in equilibrium.
WholePlantFoods

Postby Daydream » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 pm

Yes, your body has changed but we don't know why. You're eating a large quantity of raw and non-starchy cooked veggies and it might be too much for your system right now. That's why I'd experiment with eating more cooked starches but less overall quantity of food. I'd also start saving money so I could attend the 12-Day McDougall Program and that way you could ask Dr. Lim and/or Dr. McDougall what they think you should do. I really hope you find an answer. I know you must be suffering and I'm sorry about that.
Daydream

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:44 am

Wow. I really feel for you. That looks painful.

Have you looked into an elimination diet? It’s tough, but free, and doesn’t require doctors or insurance.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl ... 00diet.htm

(Edited to add: I’m not sure if Jeff Novick is still doing consults, but that might be a more affordable option.)

Please keep us posted on your journey.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby WholePlantFoods » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:52 pm

Daydream wrote:Yes, your body has changed but we don't know why. You're eating a large quantity of raw and non-starchy cooked veggies and it might be too much for your system right now. That's why I'd experiment with eating more cooked starches but less overall quantity of food. I'd also start saving money so I could attend the 12-Day McDougall Program and that way you could ask Dr. Lim and/or Dr. McDougall what they think you should do. I really hope you find an answer. I know you must be suffering and I'm sorry about that.

Thank you Daydream the input! I will take this week to incorporate some changes so I can get some feedback from my body. I've staged my eating for so many years with the potluck size salad first, followed by steamed veggies & lastly starch twice a day that sitting down to a warm meal will be strange. I must have really taxed my digestion. I had a lot of extra thick rolled oats today & I'm inflated like a blimp again. I guess steamed veggies & mostly sweet potatoes for now will have to do. What do you think about steamed veggies over a bed of lettuce? Is even the raw lettuce a no-no? I'll have to nix the hot sauce, salsa, & vinegar I've been pouring over everything. The elimination diet Dr. McD suggests allows for salt but that is the most addictive thing for me by far.

I'll keep you posted. I would love to post a picture with a normal deflated belly soon!
WholePlantFoods

Postby WholePlantFoods » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:04 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Wow. I really feel for you. That looks painful.

Have you looked into an elimination diet? It’s tough, but free, and doesn’t require doctors or insurance.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2002nl ... 00diet.htm

(Edited to add: I’m not sure if Jeff Novick is still doing consults, but that might be a more affordable option.)

Please keep us posted on your journey.

Lyndzie, thanks for the link! It really helps me strategize for the coming week. I have everything on hand, it's not like there's a ton of variety! ;-)

I don't see oats mentioned. I guess they're not approved but brown rice is? The salt is a tricky one for me as well because that is the hardest thing for me to minimize. It's allowed but I can easily go overboard.

Ughh, I wish this never happened. I went way too far with the raw food & staged eating. I made myself eat all the raw & steamed before the starch & that was a huge mistake for someone my size. Hopefully I can correct it enough after all these years.

Thanks again!!
WholePlantFoods

Postby Daydream » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:44 am

Cindy, I think Lyndzie's idea of trying the elimination diet is excellent. As Lyndzie said, it's a tough diet but what you are experiencing is miserable too and hopefully you'll get some answers with the elimination diet. Follow Dr. McDougall's guidelines carefully for the elimination diet (use the link Lyndzie gave you). I think it might be important to cut down on the large quantity of food that you are putting through your delicate digestive system. See if you can feel satisfied with one plate of food. Chew each bite thoroughly, until it is liquid before you swallow. When you finish the plate of food, wait 20 minutes to see if you feel satisfied. If you're still hungry, eat another portion of food. If satisfied, then wait until the next meal to eat again. This is just what I would try. If it doesn't work out for you, that is OK. You have to figure out what works best for your body. With the elimination diet, everything must be cooked, even fruit, so that means you'll have to give up your gigantic raw salads and raw fruit for awhile. Dr. McDougall said that cooking the food alters the proteins, making them less likely to provoke an adverse response--which is what you need right now. Rolled Oats are not on the elimination diet list so you'll have to eat another starch that's on the list. Personally, I would start with sweet potatoes or brown rice because I like those best from the list. Pick only one starch to start with and pick your favorite from the list. If salt is a problem for you, then omit it while on the elimination diet. Go slowly and add only one food at a time as in the guideline. I'd love to see your updated picture with a normal deflated belly too! I'm sending you healing thoughts!
Daydream

Postby WholePlantFoods » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:14 am

Daydream wrote:Cindy, I think Lyndzie's idea of trying the elimination diet is excellent. As Lyndzie said, it's a tough diet but what you are experiencing is miserable too and hopefully you'll get some answers with the elimination diet. Follow Dr. McDougall's guidelines carefully for the elimination diet (use the link Lyndzie gave you). I think it might be important to cut down on the large quantity of food that you are putting through your delicate digestive system. See if you can feel satisfied with one plate of food. Chew each bite thoroughly, until it is liquid before you swallow. When you finish the plate of food, wait 20 minutes to see if you feel satisfied. If you're still hungry, eat another portion of food. If satisfied, then wait until the next meal to eat again. This is just what I would try. If it doesn't work out for you, that is OK. You have to figure out what works best for your body. With the elimination diet, everything must be cooked, even fruit, so that means you'll have to give up your gigantic raw salads and raw fruit for awhile. Dr. McDougall said that cooking the food alters the proteins, making them less likely to provoke an adverse response--which is what you need right now. Rolled Oats are not on the elimination diet list so you'll have to eat another starch that's on the list. Personally, I would start with sweet potatoes or brown rice because I like those best from the list. Pick only one starch to start with and pick your favorite from the list. If salt is a problem for you, then omit it while on the elimination diet. Go slowly and add only one food at a time as in the guideline. I'd love to see your updated picture with a normal deflated belly too! I'm sending you healing thoughts!

Thanks Daydream! I will omit the oats, I'm good with JSP's & Stokes' which are my favorite. Also, I like Hannah's a lot but they have not been the best lately from Whole Foods. I always get a Trader Joe's No Salt Added Fire Roasted Salsa & pour 1/2 bottle on each potato. That probably didn't do me any favors but I sure like it. Plus, the Tamari & lemon juice all over my salad...

Are you hypothyroid? If so, what's been your experience with eating our McDougall way & troubleshooting your levels/meds? My TSH w/ Rflx FT4 was 0.40 mIU/L last week & I take 75mg Armour Thyroid.

Have a good night,
Cindy
WholePlantFoods

Postby Daydream » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:32 am

Cindy, I am not hypothyroid. I hope that someone who is taking your medication will pop in and share their experience about eating the McDougall diet while on the medication you take.
Daydream

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:31 pm

Wow, I am sorry you are going through this. In two of the pics you posted, your abdomen looks flat and normal. You said this happens by 1PM each day. Are you having any pain? How long does it take to go back down after it distends at 1PM? If you don't eat, does this still happen at 1PM every day? How long has this been happening and when did it start? You said>>>

My name is Cindy & I have been eating/living a whole foods/starch, low-fat, sugar/flour/oil/salt/alcohol free lifestyle for 9 years.

When you began this WOE 9 years ago and lost the weight, were things ok then?
KillSwitch

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:42 pm

I'd also start saving money so I could attend the 12-Day McDougall Program and that way you could ask Dr. Lim and/or Dr. McDougall what they think you should do.

Is this the only way you can see Dr. Lim or Dr. McD now? That is terribly expensive for most ppl. What if you wanted to pay OOP for a one time office visit consultation? Is that possible?
KillSwitch

Next

Return to Health Issues