Blood pressure: At Home vs at the Doctor's Office

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood pressure: At Home vs at the Doctor's Office

Postby Spiral » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:21 pm

I read an interesting article I found at Hypertension magazine.

Comparison of Automated Office Blood Pressure With Office and Out-Off-Office Measurement Techniques

Here's what I find interesting. In Europe and the United States, there is a lag behind the Canadian practice.

Despite having emerged as a valuable tool to assess the patient’s BP status, the lack of strong evidence to establish a threshold value for hypertension diagnosis limits the use of AOBP in clinical practice and only the hypertension Canadian guideline13 currently recommends AOBP as the preferred method to measure office BP.
Spiral

Re: Blood pressure: At Home vs at the Doctor's Office

Postby ch47gunnergirl » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:37 pm

I think at-home monitoring might still be getting a bad rap. Early devices were often not accurate, but I think the tech has finally become so standard that even cheap models may be fairly reliable. I haven't taken mine in to my doc to test against them, but I've checked my machine against a Higi machine and was pretty identical. My mom took their BP machine into the doc, the nurses tested it against their finding and it was accurate. Neither were top-of-the-line machines. Once my mom had her machine tested by her doc's nurses, my dad's BP medicine was based off of readings taken from the home version over a month's time and reported to the doc.
ch47gunnergirl

Return to Health Issues