Allergy test revealed allergies to plant based diet

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Allergy test revealed allergies to plant based diet

Postby MissMessyMissy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:34 pm

So in August 2019, I started a new career & it requires some local traveling. I started having problems with fatigue, dizziness, & I fell a couple times. At first I ignored it and thought it was normal because prior I only worked 3 days per week and now I drive about 100 miles per day. It got worse, so I saw a doctor. I was diagnosed as severely anemic & told to take iron pills & consider eating eggs or cheese or milk. The doctor is a vegetarian. Nothing changed in December even adding eggs & cheese back into my diet. Then I was told I’d need an infusesion and if I fell down to go to the ER right away because my blood may not clot right. Somewhere along the way I was told to add nutrition yeast, b12, folate, vitamin c, iron & a multivitamin do I was no longer considered severely anemic but only anemic. I complied and my red blood cells improved and it took about a year but I’m low normal. I don’t feel dizzy or fall when I look down. A round the time my red blood cell size, shape, & color improved I started getting sinus infections & maybe it’s by chance. One sinus infection started to go into my bone in August but the ER caught it on a CT because my primary told them to do a CT for facial swelling. That was scary because I was told it could have gone to my eye or teeth if I waited longer. I got a total of 5 sinus infections in 7 months. That has gone away for 6 or 7 months now without a sinus infection. Now I’m back to breathing problems I had in 2019 since about September. They improve at home & get worse at job sites. I was referred to a pulmonologist in October. The pulmonologist referred me to an ENT after bloodwork showed severe allergies. The pulmonologist order blood work to test for allergies and I scored high so she ordered a test to see my allergies. She referred to to an ENT for allergy shots. Yesterday the ENT did an allergy test. It came back that I’m allergic to everything from grass, plants, fungus, trees, & food. I haven’t drink milk or eaten eggs until I was told & I can stop but I don’t want to be anemic again. I haven’t eaten seafood since I was a toddler & we knew it was an allergy my whole life that I can remember. But I do eat corn, rice, green beans, strawberries, cantaloup, peppers, wheat, peanuts, walnuts, tomatoes, spinach, onions, kidney beans, peas, celery, apples, peaches, raspberries, oranges, peppers, cinnamon, & garlic. That’s a lot of food that I do like & im not sure how to eat. Sometimes onions or tomatoes or apples or oranges bother my tongue or nose. It’s not every time... it kinda taste like wasabi like a bitter burn and I don’t eat it thinking the food went bad. Is that an allergic reaction? It’s usually around the second bite that it taste bad to me. But I’ve never seen some bother me, but most are seasonal like strawberries or peaches so you don’t eat year round. But others like rice or wheat is eaten every week. I don’t want to eat things that are making me feel badly. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone has experienced my situation or has advice for me. Can food allergies be making it hard to breathe and runny nose and fluid in the lungs or sneezing or dry cough? Below is the food part of the allergy test.

Possibly Severe Allergic to Foods
Egg whites
Egg Yolk
Soy
Bakers yeast
Corn
Crab
Lobster
Shrimp
Rice
Barely
Lima Beans
Green Beans
Strawberries
Cantaloup
Coffee
Green peppers

Possibly Moderate Allergic to Foods
Milk
Wheat
Peanut
Turkey
Clam
Tuna
Hops
Rye
Walnuts
Tomato
Spinach
Onion
Sweet Potato
Kidney beans
Navy Beans
Green Olives
Green peas
Celery
Apples
Peaches
Raspberry
Oranges
Cinnamon l
Coconut
Cocoa
Banana Peppers
Garlic
MissMessyMissy

Re: Allergy test revealed allergies to plant based diet

Postby Chumly » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi Missy,

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with your allergies! You should contact Jeff Novick. It sounds like you've got some issues that can't/shouldn't be addressed in an online forum. With his knowledge and experience, he should be able to help you.

Regards,

Michael
Chumly

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:49 pm

Please forgive me if I sound contrary, but the information you presented does not make you seem allergic to a plant-based diet. From my perspective it looks like you are allergic to animal products.

First, pick your starch. Looks like white potatoes passed, as did all the psuedo-grains, such as buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, etc. Then, add some beans, which are a wonderful source of iron. You could do black, pinto, chickpea, etc. Next, add some veggies of your choosing, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus, artichokes, zucchini, carrots, and so on. For the finale, get some fruit, like grapes, dates, grapefuit or bananas.

Also, big yay: you can eat oatmeal.

Seriously, there isn’t much else that adding meat would do. You still can’t eat the things that you can’t eat. If you need more meal ideas, ask away, and good luck!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby MINNIE » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:03 pm

Possibly this may be helpful:

https://acaai.org/allergies/types/food- ... y-syndrome

I have experienced this on occasion. It's not dangerous, but annoying and scary when I didn't know what it is.
MINNIE

Postby viv » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:30 pm

Maybe your body is telling you to give up the job!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Return to Health Issues