Elimination Diet causing new induced Heartburn!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Has the Elimination Diet helped you get on track with your health?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:12 am

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
I never did the Elimination diet!
No votes
Yes, and I experienced great health!
100%

Total votes : 2

Elimination Diet causing new induced Heartburn!

Postby nutragirl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:12 am

I and disabled, and have a plethora of health challenges including Sjogrens Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, IBS, Interstitial Cystitis, Trigeminal Neralgia, Chronic Fatigue, MS etc.. for over two decades. Working on my health and always "trying" to get well.

I have been on the Nutritarian "Dr. Fuhrman" diet for 3.5 years adhering to the GBOMBS etc.. I have not successfully improved in health, but have declined including skin problems etc.and back in my mobility scooter.

I started the starch solution a week ago, and realized I need to start with the Elimination Diet to get the best progress, and find out what may be food triggers.

I am following it as described on Dr. McDougalls website. Since I started, I have had 24/7 heartburn. I believe I re-activated my hiatal hernia I had about 6 years ago. This is exactly what it felt like! Even water hurts! I know I previously tried to heal it with medicine like Tagamet etc... but it took 3 years to heal. I never experienced reflux or heartburn once during the Nutritarian diet. Until this past week introducing starch.

I am only 5'3" and weigh 99 pounds, so losing weight is not my intention, it is to get well!

I am doing the 80% starch and seem to only be able to tolerate white rice. Even 1 cup is too much starch! I only did about 1/4 cup starch or so a day on the Nutritarian diet. Previous to that I was Paleo for 9 years and ate no starch.

I am eating white rice with 1/4 cup of one vegetable allowed on the Elimination diet list, and follow up with a couple tablespoons of a cooked fruit. Today for lunch was 1 cup of rice 2 tablespoons butternut squash, with 1/4 cup green string beans, and two tablespoons of homemade applesauce (just cooked organic apples). Certainly not enough calories. But, I can't eat anymore than that.

Please help! I want to eat, and get well. Now, I have triggered a monster in my chest. It feels like an elephant sitting on me!

These are foods babies should be able to tolerate. :crybaby:

What are your suggestions?
nutragirl

Re: Elimination Diet causing new induced Heartburn!

Postby Vegankit » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:41 am

I have a similar history and figuring out what foods to avoid was helpful. I’ve put most everything ino recession and the rest are under control.

I had assumed rice was a “safe” food. When a dog is sick the vet says to feed boiled chicken and rice. When babies are have food allergies rice is often recommended. In Asia rice congee is the go to food for ill people.

I went on the elimination diet several times with no improvement, always using rice as my starch. The last time I avoided rice and discovered it was one of the food causing me problems.

I’ve also realized I have some foods that I can eat occasionally without problems but if it eat a little more, it sets off inflammation. Rice fits into this latter category. I can eat it once a month for one meal, but if I eat it daily it affects my joints.

My take away is that most foods are safe for most people, but some of us are more sensitive. Try different starches if what you are doing isn’t working.

Secondly Sjogrens maybe a factor, drinking water with your meal helps.

Good luck
Vegankit
Vegankit

Re: Elimination Diet causing new induced Heartburn!

Postby Vegankit » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:15 pm

I ended up using sweet potato and quinoa as my starches during the elimination diet.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to Health Issues